2015-08-25 02:12:06

loving the new sounds aprone keep the updates comin

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2015-08-25 02:38:23

Aprone,
I noticed only hawk.wav in the tiles folder was in stereo.
Is this a bug or a bird?

2015-08-25 02:46:17

Phil, sort of both.  Well actually it isn't really a bug because I just grabbed the hawk sound from Lunimals.  I guess it was in stereo.  If it is annoying to have a stereo sound mixed in with the mono ones, let me know and I can convert it (and any others you guys spot).

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2015-08-25 03:43:53

Nice little game! On easy setting, my usual way to start, I won the second time I played.
In some games you need to use a mono file to pan the sound left or right.
I got a missing sound file error for al.wav

2015-08-25 04:45:15

Good catch Phil, I had that sound in the wrong format.  I've uploaded a fixed zip, so people can download again to have that file corrected.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-25 05:24:27

Hi Aprone
Congratulations, this is a good game.
It is quite addictive. LOL
there will be a language file for this one?
that would be interesting
Greetings

2015-08-25 05:27:34 (edited by yujin9091 2015-08-25 05:29:51)

Hi,
Is there a key to read the current score? It would be helpful to be able to know it before making a critical decission on placing tiles.

2015-08-25 05:36:51

Wow aprone, is the AI problem you're stuck on in your next small game--that third project, or the next big game? If it's part of Castaways 2--where you said co-op matters a lot more, I'm glad to hear you're still working at it.

2015-08-25 06:08:14

Well, I feel as though I don't really understand what's going on here, but my first battle was a draw, so... beginner's luck, I guess.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-08-25 07:53:39

Good morning, everyone.
I've finished the game yesterday. Keep it up, we're waiting for more updates. smile

2015-08-25 09:38:49

Firence, I can put a language file into this game.  It had completely slipped my mind.  I'll probably add that tomorrow after I wake up.

Yujin, excellent suggestion, and I just finished adding that.  I didn't notice Firence's language file suggestion in time, or I would have coded it into this new update as well.

Orin, the AI issue is for a 3rd small game I'm working on.  The larger stuff is still on my list, but I was talked into taking a short break from big projects (Swamp and Castaways 2) to crank out some of these smaller games.  Frankly I have loved getting back to small games these past 2 weeks.  I say it so much that half of you are probably sick of hearing it, but I really hate being tied down by Swamp.  Even with normal everyday stuff I was able to program 2 games and almost a 3rd in this time, because I've ignored 99% of everything Swamp related people have emailed and messaged me.  I think that's a good example to show just how much time I normally have to spend on that stuff, and in the end I have nothing cool/fun to show for the time and effort spent.  At least when I'm working on other projects, I have something to show for it at the end.

Ironcross, the game's rules take some getting used to.

Well done Stefan.  smile  Here's an update:

Changes from 0.5c to 0.5d

- Pressing Z during a battle shows you the current score.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-25 12:50:53

@Aprone, on the smaller games issue I don't think pawprints is a small game big_smile.
Admitedly it's not the size of swamp, but it's still pretty major and has a lot to it to get used to, which is one reason I've not posted in that topic.

I will say though it's great to see some new releases from you. All your games have been amazingly unique, Swamp included, and I really like the fact that your already huge output is getting huger, indeed it's great to finally get to play tripple triad sinse I've seen the game in both ff8 and xenogears.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-08-25 15:21:13

@36 Yeah, It's been my observation that many games with communities surrounding them are always hounding the developer(s) for updates, shoving ideas at them, etc. Sometimes you gotta do stuff you want to do, lol. Because giving them what they want all the time, they will get used to that. When they see you have a life outside of swamp, then they might just back off a bit, but probably not far, lol.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-08-25 15:57:56

Hey all! Aprone, thanks for the game. I'm going to test it right now.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2015-08-25 16:45:22

Thanks Dark.  smile  I guess you're right about it not being a "small" game, but it's back to what I'm used to calling a small game.  Anything I can put together in a weekend falls into that category for me, even if I can spend more time on it later to polish it up.

Thanks for the complement about uniqueness.  I often get suggestions from people, wanting me to make things that are basically the same as what we already have around here, and wondering why I hadn't thought of it already.  Those guys don't understand that I'm ignoring those "obvious" game ideas on purpose.  In almost all of my games, I start out with some concept or game mechanic that I think needs introducing/expanding, and a game is designed around it.

There are a few exceptions, but they are obvious exceptions.  That puzzle divided game was just something tiny that had no real deeper plan to it, and pet rock and dark ruse were both just jokes.  haha.  This one is another exception because I was just remaking someone elses original design, though I did see how making it would fit into a larger plan I'm working on.

It's better suited for the Paw Prints thread, but that game had one huge element that I centered the game around.  Game developers are always looking for ways to bottle emotions into their project.  With the proper plan, you hope that you can make your players feel actual fear before turning a corner, true excitement when they win, and perhaps sadness with story elements.  It's not always easy (I've never played a Yahtzee game that made me afraid), but I do think it's on the mind of all game developers as they work on their projects.

Before Paw Prints, I'd often thought about adding faith to that list of feelings.  Can a game be designed in such a way, that you can invoke a true feeling of faith?  I formed my own opinions about what might help that work... an extremely harsh environment, drama, a lack of concrete numbers (wolf bites you for 22 damage points), a system that is shrouded in mystery (randomness around ever corner), and finally a set of religious rules that can be interpreted in a variety of different ways.

Who knows, it might not work at all, but it was worth a shot.  There aren't enough players yet to see it take shape, but eventually I guessed that people would begin falling into camps, convinced that they had figured out which is the correct religion in the game.  Without any concrete proof of who is actually right, their experiences in the game are all they can go on.  Some will be correct and some will be wrong, and knowing that there actually IS a correct answer should help the whole thing move along faster than it otherwise would.

ROFL, I can tell how this sounds a bit over the top.  Trying to plan out stuff like this might just be the madness contracted by game developers.  Someone can prepare my rubber room and straight jacket for me.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-25 21:03:51

well said aprone I had to thumbs up your last comment

you have a very creative mind and not one dimensional which I respect

funny thing is months ago I made a post in the general topics section, about trading cards, and a card battling system be implamented into swamp, I was laughed at and said that idea wouldn't not come to pass haha and look what we have here.....yes the game is not in the swamp universe, but it is a card game well tile game with swamp characters so hey close enough, I knew something could be made out of my idea that's why I made the post in the first place

2015-08-25 21:12:34

Smoothgunner, I guess I can see why people would shoot down the idea of one built into Swamp.  In the past I shot down having card games built in, where people could sit at the safe zone an play them with each other.  Those guys probably remembered that old conversation and felt your new suggestion would be rejected too.

Triple triad is using tiles instead of cards, for 2 reasons.  First, I wanted to make it feel a little less like you're just playing one of the existing Triple triad games out there on the internet.  Different for the sake of being different I suppose.  The second reason is that I made a trading card game already, set in the Castaways universe.  Actually instead of saying I made it, I should say it's done to the point where I can play it, but it lacks many needed accessibility features.  Another problem was that the matches took too long for my taste, and the game was set aside to work on one of the emergency Swamp patches people were bugging me about.  I assume one of these days I'll go back to rebalance it and to add in the rest of the accessibility features.  Such a shame that the game was so close to being finished when it got set aside.  That was the 3rd week in January, of this year, because I wrote the game while I was on vacation in Florida.  Wow, I didn't realize that game has just sat there for 7 months!  That's just plain depressing.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-25 22:21:37

@Aprone, as to whether faith and religion can work in games, one word for you Kodp! or rather four words in one acronym, King of dragon pass!
That is of course a very different game to pawprints, and it takes the religion idea in a different direction  than  the one you have, but  if anything shows faith in a game can go together that certainly does. Actually in one respect at least Kodp is similar to pawprints in that there are no numbers in the games' events and no "wolf does so many damage" type of situations, everything needs to be thought of carefully in god terms, eg, i your ancestor's are narked with you you might find your clan having bad luck, while a shrine to the adventurer goddess is almost a necessity before you send your people out exploring, and the myths and your understanding of the culture of the Orlanthi people plays a major part in the game.
Kodp is actually not the only game I've seen it in either, not done in such an unknowable way, though Kodp is the only one I've seen that takes the faith aspect in quite such a random direction.

So, can faith, or some relationship with the unknowable force of the universe be done in a game? certainly it can.

As to cardgames and the like, well to an extent I do see your point sinse it's difficult to make yahtzee involving on anything more than a ceribral level, however there are atmospheric touches that can be added to any game to make it more expressive.
Jim Kitchin's Hangman is a wonderful example, sinse yes, it's hangman with the classic rules and makes no bones about it, but it has some very hilarious sounds for when you get the man (or lady), hanged, as well as levels of difficulty that reflect parts of a person not just so many guesses taken.

Of course you can do more with atmosphere in some games than others just from the nature of the game, however Tripple Triad actually does better than most puzzle games on that score, sinse after all why do the tyles have creatures from swamp and towers of war and what not, and what about the rather amusing story about your main characters' douchebuggerance at the convention?

Heck as I said, if you really! want togo down the shonan route (the anime route as you might say), and go crazy with the story with demons and aliens and robots and girls with tentacles challenging you to battles that would rock too big_smile.

On the subject of smaller games, one thing to remember is that what is small to a developer might not seem so to users. The perfect example is disney's frozen where they asically wrote about a million or so lines of code to simulate a weather system and the chrystalization of unique snowflakes so that there are apparently over fourty thousand unique snowflakes in the film, and all of them get acted upon by this amazingly complex weather symulatinng program.

And yet, to most people watching the film it would just be "well there is the snow!" while they focus on the action big_smile.

Of course this is disney who wouldn't know the term overkill if you wrapped it around a neuclear bomb, but you see my point. Castaways is a pretty big! game, so is lunimals. From a player's perspective they both take quite some understanding and playing. Of course, so is Swamp, but you see my point.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-08-25 22:42:00

Hey Aprone. Well yes, I'm not a game developer, but I've been in contact with games and developers enough time to say that my "madness" grew big_smile
I honestly agree with you and would like to add in my own point of view. I see games as a form of art. We have many art elements such as music, literature, visual art for those able to see, and the list goes on... Many games does not receive the deserved care and we end up having lots of clones with different names instead of the message from the developers.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2015-08-25 22:45:04

I've never played King of dragon pass, but from the description  it might not be quite what I meant about faith in a game.  Now I'm only taking a guess, because I might be totally misunderstanding how Kodp handles it.

I've played quite a few mainstream games where your people must pray, sacrifice, or complete quests with the goal of pleasing the in-game gods.  Even though some of those games rely heavily on that sort of concept, I don't consider those to be examples of a developer capturing faith in a bottle.  As an example, if a game's story tells me that my character is afraid to venture down a certain dark alleyway, I can accept that for being the reason the game won't let me go down it, but it isn't that I'm actually afraid in real life as I play the game.  Along those same lines, if one of those mainstream games requires me to periodically sacrifice humans to the god Bubba, to gain favor with it, that doesn't make me feel any sort of real life beliefs.  I don't have to believe that Bubba exists in the game or not... it's just a game mechanic meant to be accepted.  There would be no reason to make the decision to doubt or believe in its existence within the game's universe.

In Paw Prints I'm trying to make people genuinely form a belief about which of the religion settings is true.  I think this is only possible because the game has 4 options and lets you know that only 1 is true.  I can tell I'm not getting my thoughts written out how I want, but I'm not quite sure how.  Oh well, I shouldn't stress over it since this whole reply is based on a guess about how King of dragon pass works (which I've never played).

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-25 23:29:45

Awesome, I can't wait to try this one. I've never played anything like this, it will be fun to check out.
Aprone just keeps on truckin'!

Stevie-3

2015-08-26 00:36:18

i really do love the game too aprone. i was actually rather proud of myself. i just got back home from class and thought i'd play a few tt games. i actually saw a way i could use the plus rule and took it. i ended up winning because of it.it does take a bit of understanding to get right, but once you get it, its a powerful rule and you could easily come back and win if you are behind.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2015-08-26 13:11:54

@Aprone, I've  played a number of games, particularly online ones where you have a faith system as you describe and must occasionally do things required of the game, indeed sinse paladin is my goto rpg class I often get entangled with such. However, that is not really how Kodp works, sinse in Kodp you don't necessarily know what the gods require of you or whether your pleasing them at all, and though you can get blessings from the gods that can improve your situation, that is no guarantee that the gods or your ancestors or some other power in the game won't get annoyed with you.

Also, Kodp has a great mythological system, and  a major part in winning the game involves enacting the myths of the gods, however how well you succeed at this is pretty random depending upon a lot of things, you can do everything right and still fail, or make several wrong choices but still succeed depending upon a variety of factors, including which god a person worships etc.

I will say the execution is very different, sinse rather than working on the pawprints model as you describe of not knowing if or not a universal  god exists and having to guess, Kodp works more on the basis of older, shamanic beliefs that Gods and spirits do! exist, but what they want and the ways they effect the world are rather hard to comprehend, indeed one of the things I love about Kodp is that you need to actually think about the Orlanthi culture and society, from rules of hospitality to when or not to declare a clan fud, to what sort of generosity to give to rivals etc.

Either way suffice it to say I definitely! agree that art and games do exist togetherand have found some wonderful examples of such (not that it has anything to do with Faith, but most recently A dark room and The ensign are  certainly! art).

Getting back to the matter at hand, and speaking of art, one rather amusing idea might be instead of just "the such and such tyle captures the such and such tyle" to put in very short battle descriptions (perhaps even as short as one adjective).

So that "the giant zombie mawls the enemy Kamen" or "the Bores trample the enemy cats"

These could be longer, eg "Daytona bombards the enemy so and so with gold"

But you see my point. Sound effects for the tyles would be great, ut we all know about the sound effects availability problem, however sticking in some colourful descriptions of battle actions, one for each tyle would be a nice way of giving the game some more fun elements and making it feel slightly more like a crazy anime battle, and slightly less like a static cardgame.

Of course, sinse you would need one description for each tyle this might be too much of a painus in the anus to add, but if not, it could be fun.
I recall a wonderful amigar chess program called Battle chess. What was great, was that the peaces all attacked each other in amusing ways. The queen raised her fingers and had a wand that shot lightning, the pawns would smack opposing peaces in the goolies with staves, the knights would do a monti python esk little duel, the bishops would raise a staff with a cross and a hole would appear below the peace to be captured, and the castles were giant rock troll monsters that crushed things.
The best was when a king took a queen, sinse he'd throw his arms around her and kiss her, then knife her in the back big_smile.

The only problem is people got so carried away with the amusing death sequences you'd usually end up sacrificing all your peaces big_smile.

Either way you see my point. If as I said, not posible fare enough, but on the art level it might be rather amusing.

2015-08-26 16:34:05

Dark, King of dragon pass seems to have a very unique design.  I'd never run across any mainstream games that use those sorts of religion mechanics.  Very cool indeed!

For the customized attack messages, I think that's a great idea.  I can easily make that change, just as soon as I get some time to sit down with the code.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-26 22:21:21

aprone if you want me to help with more sounds in the game I probably can. I can progebly get a sound for the coin flip, whenever a tile is destroyed, whenever you receive a new tile for beating a opponent, and prob some music