2014-05-01 03:44:00

So, I was reading an article about women in gaming, and it got me thinking.  I can surely understand why, until recently, mainstream gaming was dominated by men.  The majority of games focused on violence, cars, sports, action, and other subjects that women are encouraged not to be interested in, even if they actually are.  But here we discuss all kinds! of audio and accessible games. We talk about puzzle games, card games, adventure books, interactive fiction games. We have a thread about a My Little Pony game, dominated by, and possibly exclusively posted in, by guys.  I can honestly think of only 1 or 2 semi-regular posters who are openly/obviously female, 3 or 4 posters whom I can't assign a gender, and I can name 30 forum regulars off the top of my head whom I am certain are male.  So, this made me wonder:
1.  Why is this?  Surely the same pressures acting to make the mainstream gaming community a largely male preserve aren't nearly as strong in our community, are they?  The games we play aren't nearly as heavy on the boobs, at the very least, and with a few extremely notable exceptions, don't objectify women the way most mainstream games do. 
2. What, if anything, can or should we do about this? The market for accessible games is small enough as it is. Don't we want, at minimum, to make sure we're involving all blind people, not just blind males? 

I'm not posting those questions as stepping stones for some kind of rant, or anything. I honestly have no answers to either one.  It is also possible that I am wildly underestimating the number of female participants on this forum; some usernames are quite generic and my memory may be playing tricks on me.  If you're female, you don't need to out yourself or anything just for my edification, so please don't feel pressured into giving personal information you don't want to.  I also find it interesting that when I log on to places like RSGames, The Playroom, etc, there are some women players. Definitely more than post here, at any rate. But even there, I'd estimate that it's still 80% male.  I guess I'm just shocked to find that we have the same gender ratio as the sighted gaming community, even though half of the problems in that community don't seem to apply to us.  At least, don't seem to apply to us as far as I am aware. I am male myself, so it's quite probable that I'm missing a good deal.

2014-05-01 04:11:26

Well Fastfinge this is an interesting question, and one which (as someone who is interested in geneder relations), I have considdered myself.

One thing first however, is you state that in the mainstream community %80 of those who play games are male. While this is distantly true, at the same time I do think there is a little more to it than initially appears. Most of the girls I've met who play computer games fall into two camps. Very casual, social gamers who play arcade style games as a random dayly occurrence, and incredibly serious gamers, part of the hardcore gaming crew who play rpgs, stratogy games or online mmorpgs with extreme seriousness. Among these groups of gamers, the ratio is more like 40-60, and even that is changing. Heck I played through all of the ff games with a female friend.

The one thing that I have never encountered are what you might call standard gamers. People who play the latest game as a matter of course, usually restrict themselves to very specific series of fps, war games or toom raider style exploration affairs, and are heavily interested in the latest thing and only the latest thing.

these standard gamers are a rapidly growing group, especially now games are a mainstream part of soceity rather than a miner interest, and it is this group to whom the industry tends to market games and to whom cultural sterriotypes of gaming apply.

I am not sure the ratios are quite the same for audio games, but to a great extent I believe them to be. Certainly I have noticed a pattern in online games or interactive fiction, those games like metroplexity which attempt to appeal to the standard gamer tend to have mostly mail player bases, where as those games with more to offer serious gamers tend to be more gender neutral, ---- heck in core exiles it's virtually 50-50. Similarly I've seen lots of female players of casual arcade style games, but comparatively few of games with mid range complexity.

How this applies to audio games I'm not sure exactly, though judging by the female players I've met who play interactive fiction or complex games, it does seem there is some sort of correspondance.

I will also note however that just because girls happen to be blind doesn't mean they aren't free of a degree of socialization in interests and outlook. For example, I would be willing to bet that the least played of the choiceofgames titles by male members of this community is choice of romance, (I've played at least the start on the choiceofgames site and do intend to buy the game in the future, but I considder myself pretty much gender neutral so it likely doesn't apply to mee.

I'll also add that this socialization factor applies in some degree to the faculty of competition, sinse men are generally encouraged to be competitive where women aren't, meaning basic competitive games such as chess are probably less encouraged among female players.

Of course, social trends aren't universal and I'm always pleased to meet men and women who go against them, but given that games generally as an activity apply more to men, it is only more independent minded women that will play them, just the same way it is only more independent minded men who will freely admit to liking children or frankly discussing feelings, indeed to a great extent the masculine sterriotype is as damaging as the feminine one and much harder to break out of though that is a very different topic.

Getting back to games, one very bizarre thing I have noticed for some odd reason is that there are far more women on the audeasy mailing list than this forum, which i absolutely can't explain big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-05-02 16:53:50

Well, that is definitely an interesting question. I have certainly observed there are far more women on the Audyssey list than here on Audiogames.net, and I have no way of explaining that interesting fact. Be that as it may I think its not so much women aren't interested in games, but that they have different interests than us guys.

I've observed that a lot of women I know tend to go for card and puzzle games. They enjoy games like Blackjack, Uno, Scrabble, and things like that but rarely are interested in sports and combat oriented games. As Dark mentioned in his post it could be that men are more competitive so are drawn to games where competition is a huge factor where women are more casual and are satisfied with a few hands at cards.

In any case I think we could do more research on this topic. As both a gamer and a game developer I'd like to know the answer to some of the questions you raised because it is quite interesting. I'd like to know for instance if women prefer certain types of games over others and why. I'd like to know if men play more games than women and why. All fairly easy to poll and find out by doing an interest survey..

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-05-02 18:05:15

Hi Tom.

One thing that struck me recently is just how socially loaded certain terms are. The term "game" for example implies competition. As a none competitive person who always played computer games for the exploration, I myself never particularly cared, but given that most women are not encouraged to be competitive I do wonder how much simply the term "game" is off putting.

Last night for example I spoke to a friend of mine who is heavily interested in plays, stories and acting. I found out she has an Iphone 4 and described the choiceofgames to her, sinse I'm fairly sure as someone who enjoys acting and stories she'd enjoy those as I do.

She replied she hadn't checked the games section of the ap store at all.

This was a case where something would! have appealed to her interests, but I'm fairly sure the word "game with it's usual connotations of some sort of competition rather than as with the choiceofgames an interactive story completely put her off.

This is why I have tended to find the women I've met who play traditionally masculine style games such as rpgs, or fps tend to also not particularly be overly bothered about female sterriotypes, indeed among my roleplay group, which comprises myself and three other married couples (although one chap's wife had to quit the game), the girls tend to have as much interest in rpgs, while my russian friend, who is about as far from being sterriotypically female as you can imagine freely admits to having played through gears of war cooperatively with her other half and enjoying stomping all the competition underfoot big_smile.

Contrastingly, I have met men who play computer games who I would considder very sterreotypically male, liking guns and shooting and sport and not wanting to lose etc, although most of those don't tend to be what I'd considder really hard core omnivorous gamers with a wide interest.

So sometimes I do wonder if the term "computer game" should be replaced with  something like "computerized interactive recreational  program" accept that that is a little silly, and I can't really imagine getting any visitors to audiocomputerizedinteractivereactionalprograms.net big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-05-02 21:30:51

LOL Dark. That would be a major mouthful.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2014-05-02 21:43:58

Well to remain politically correct, gamers would have to be replaced with computerized interactive recreational program engineers.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2014-05-02 22:37:58

Good point Aprone, Yes, that name is a mouthful particularly when trying to apply it to those who use said things what we are trying to find names for in this hear conversation, maybe we should replace it with computerized recreational active participation programs, then we could replace the term gamers with crappers.

hay, I wonder how many visitors we'd get to audiocrapp.net? big_smile.

2014-05-03 05:33:10

Lol. Dark, that is way too funny. I don't know how many people would visit a site like audiocrapp.net, but I do agree with your basic point. Certain terms like "game" are fully loaded and it implies a level of competition that may not even exist in that program.

As we mentioned before in another topic there are virtual reality programs where you can adopt a dog, cat, or some other animal and take care of it. While considered a video game there really isn't any competition in it to speak of. You just feed the animal, brush it, take it for walks, etc just like you would in real life. There are a lot of those sorts of virtual reality simulations dealing with anything from adopting a virtual pet to raising children which are classified as games, but would probably appeal to some women.

My ex wife had one, don't remember the name of it, but she could adopt a baby and then care for it. Change its diapers, feed it, put it down for naps, rock it when it was fussy, whatever which goes to show games aren't all about competition. Some are as you call "computerized interactive recreational programs" and are as far from what we normally think of as a game as can be.

That said, thanks to the technical revolution I think new technologies are being invented or created faster than language can catch up with the changes. Before computer games existed all there were card, board, and puzzle games. Not surprising they were among the first to get ported to computers along with new types like interactive fiction and arcade games. However, now days there are a number of games that might be better classified as recreational programs because they aren't games at all in the typical meaning. As we move towards the whole virtual reality type experience there are flight simulation programs that simulates flying an aircraft, there are tourism type programs where you can explore a town or city, virtual pets, virtual babies, and other simulation games that emulate some aspect of real life but are not a game as we understand the term. So we need to find some new terms to describe these more recreational type programs.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-05-03 05:55:07

Just wanted to let folks know, that:

htp://audiocrap.net
, and
http://audioguys.net
, looks like it is available, though its not giving the problem loading page message.

2014-05-03 09:00:35

My boyfriend got me to actually click on this topic and take a look. I thought it would be something completely different. He's a computer science student, we have a female friend who works for a major computer company, and I myself am a female gamer/nerd. Our spiffy friend is big into women in computing.

To me, with no statistical data whatsoever to back this up, it seems that the accessible gaming market is slightly more evenly matched than among the mainstream games, and yes, I think that all the accessible arcade/card/puzzle options contribute to that slightly more balanced ratio. It's more acceptable to play a card game? It takes less brain work to play a card game? Card games are easy and sociable?

Maybe already being blind sheds a little of society's normality, allowing female gamers to feel more comfortable in this arena. It seems that the point is true as well that female gamers are either RS people, or serious hard core gamers. How many females do we see playing Super Liam or Dark Destroyer or Tank Commander? OK, we have a decent enough population in Swamp it seems, but that feels more like a community unto itself than a strictly gaming environment. Maybe most women don't have the urge to go nuts at the keyboard and be a top notch button masher to kill that Q9 boss. What do I know? I'm far from normal.

I have zero knowledge about gender study and gender makeup. I know that often times, women are more goal/task oriented than men. Keep the schedule going, clean the house, make the week's grocery list, clean the kitchen, get this and that little thing done and planned out on time. that doesn't really leave much time or energy left over for gaming. I know I have fifty trillion details going through my head in any given day, and though I like to RP on the mud I play, I don't have the energy or attention for it if I've had anything like a stressful busy day. Maybe it's a brain/personality thing across the genders?

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2014-05-03 11:24:32

Sadly trenton I think if we changed our name to audiocrap.net people might get the wrong idea big_smile.

Just to actually be serious for a moment, in the professional and academic sense, I do think "game" is an accurate term, sinse "game" has also come to mean any activity with it's own descrete rules and active participation among players, for example business ventures or the legal system. Under that definition the term "computer game" is accurate. The problem is with the social emphasis on "game" as competition, ie as something to be won or lost and the gender bias to discourage women from competitive behaviour there is a gap there, albeit I do think this is one which is being filled in over time precisely because of the none competitive aspects of gaming and the greater variety of game subjects.

i'll also add however as a person who has rarely had an interest in competition that it is quite possible to play a variety of traditional games in a none competitive manner. For example I recently have been getting back to playing alter aeon, and my main focus there is exploration of the world and engaging in the little stories of quests. If I advance levels, train skill etc, this is a subsidiary matter to me, indeed the chief reason I've not player alter for a while is I was at a point where I could explore any new areas but was getting sick of grinding the old ones just for advancement.

I have met female gamers who play very much in this way, for example the girl I played through most of the ff series and indeed other graffical rpgs such as parasite eve and xenogears with had precisely the same priorities as me. She rarely got every item or skill in each of the games, but she did get even all the obscure points of story and plot and access to all areas.

As regards many things at once, well currently I'm writing this post, making coffee, have my washer and dryer both going, have just put my dog out and am about to go shopping, so at least part of that is simply a matter of the activity of keeping house I suspect big_smile.

Regarding studdies, well it depends upon which studdy you read, sinse there is so much material it's very difficult to draw any conclusions, especially because there are always major exceptions to any rule meaning any conclusion is at most a statistical difference. Indeed one study I did see whilst studdying psychology claimed that any over all differences between genders for characteristics such as verbal vs physical aggression, spacial coordination, multitasking vs single goal orientated behaviour, or verbal ability were not as significant over all as the individual variation within each gender.

this is why I personally tend to think socialization plays a much greater part in the differences as regarding games, especially sinse many of the women I know who tend to be very serious gamers also tend to not bother  following society's expectations about females in other areas, for example one friend of mine has a significant interest in military history. This makes perfect sense given she comes from an old navy family and her sister is in the navy (she'd have liked to have been but health problems got in the way).

I do think your right cinnamon about what you could call the mid range complexity audio games not getting as much interest from female gamers, sinse certainly the really hard core ones like swamp, entombed or shades of doom have had significant interest, while those like superliam or Q9 less so.

2014-05-04 08:33:23

We have come to know sims as sims, or apps or games. In fact, "program" will soon be replaced with app and many games become plugins for apps like facebook.
I think for FB, more women play than men. I totally see 80% more women on those games than I see men.

2014-05-04 09:47:46

Well it is true  "ap" as a sort of catch all term for any program has taken on, however equally there are many aps that are not games and  serve very different ends.

It is true  Frastlin that a lot of women get involved in social media, which i again tend to think is the cultural bias that women are encouraged to communicate and be social far more than men, and as such games that promote socialization and friendly interaction tend to be marketed as much to women.

I'll also note that as far as facebook and the ap store goes, there is a new class of game which you might call appearence based. For example one game several of my brother's female friends play is a creature based game involving dragon breeding, however the object isn't to collect every single dragon in the game, use your dragon to explore different areas much less battle other dragons, so much as it is to breed dragons with contrasting colours, patterns body shapes and characteristics and see what you get for the pure purpose of visual appeal. You could call this a fashion game or a design game, and that sort of game is obviously intended more for female gamers than male ones, sinse again just as men ar encouraged to compete women are encouraged to be concerned with the appearences of their possessions.

2014-05-05 00:55:14

Good point about socialization, Dark. both the card/puzzle games and the RPG's at the opposite end of the spectrum are social games involving community. the more mid-range shooter games are single player, and thus more isolated. whether because of hard-wired personality, environment, or whatever, women generally tend to want/need that more community-based environment, and that extends beyond gaming into life itself.

Despite blindness, gender roles are still defined by the binary marketing in media, I think. I grew up with partial vision. I played boy video games alongside my dad, but guess what toys I was given? Barbies and baby dolls. I liked playing with cars and legos, but those weren't the toys I was given. I imagine that blind female children are given those same stereotyped toys a lot of the time, and are still effected by the marketing to children everyone else complains about.
Barbie commercials are voiced by women, and spaceship lego death war commercials are voiced by men.
Barbie movies are full of women, and Jimmy neutron (a sciency cartoon in the early 2000's) had male main characters.

that separation continues on into high school. I came from a crappy little town in the south. we had the typical extra curricular stuff-- drama, art,choir, sports teams. You could take some classes at the alternative high school like autobody repair and drafting, but I never heard of a girl being in those classes. I took choir, where the number of girls swamped the number of boys. there was no science club for me to get into so I could nurture my love of science. No technology club where I could learn more about computers. the only options were pretty  gender stereotyped.
Also, we have track team, and girl's track team. football, and girl's softball team. girls don't go out for the football team r wrestling, because it just isn't done. I guess the point of this ramble is that there weren't a lot of gender nutral options like tech or science club.

also, what do we call girls who like sports and getting dirty? Tom boys. that name in and of itself creates a gender separation.

So in short, I think that blindness in all its awkwardness does lower that divide somewhat, allowing women to feel more comfortable being themselves. having a disability, there's all this empowering ra-ra cheering about being strong and individual, so that plays into it. But I think we're all, for the most part, neatly separated by society's definitions of gender.

with technology taking over the world though, I think these lines are slowly starting to blur.

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2014-05-05 03:17:57

Never mind that Jimmy Neutron and a lot of other male characters in a lot of cartoons are voiced by women. LOL.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2014-05-05 07:39:01

I agree on socialization Cinnamon and what toys children are given, though equally it seems to depend upon conservative background, for example I grew up with a fairly liberal outlook, was never discouraged from anything because I was male or encouraged to be interested in say sport because it was "appropriate for a man", indeed I remember being five and my dad patiently explaining that he was male, and wasn't a doctor but a nurse.

I don't think however your correct about the social aspect being the key similarity between the hard core and casual groups of female gamersMost of the hard core female gamers I've met play single player rpgs rather than multiplayer ones, indeed the ladies I know who tend to be interested in social gaming prefer (as I do), to roleplay in real time with a human gm off the computer rather than playing games like World of warcraft etc.

Also, fps games these days tend to be social, indeed a friend of mine was recently complaining that he'd bought the new titan assault game (an fps with giant mechs), for his Xbox, and resented the fact that there was no single player mode.

Most fps games these days like team fortress tend to actually be online community affairs with player vs player or in some cases cooperative gameplay, much as swamp and road to rage have. That is why I rather suspect the difference in fps is the purely social aspect of the shooting than anything else, sinse while I've met women who shoot real guns for sport, I've not met women who would have the necessary casual interest in guns to play a lot of sort of casual low key fps games. Then again, I probably don't have that interest myself and wouldn't play a game just because of it having a theme of guns or military significance if I didn't think it had some interesting mechanics, though interestingly enough I have met a lot of women who enjoy horror as a genre and play games like resident evil for that reason, indeed it was chiefly the atmosphere that attracted me to shades of doom in the first place so I do understand this attitude which might also explain the large number of ladies playing swamp.

On technology illiminating stereotypes, well your probably correct as far as women are concerned sinse though the term "tom boy still exists in literature I've never heard it used as a pejorative in reality, although I don't doubt there are some conservative institutions, environments and individuals where it still would be. Of course for men this is another story, sinse in a lot of ways men are far more limited in behaviour and outlook.

As regards to whether the audio gaming community is less gender sterreotyped I'm not sure. One thing I've noticed is that the more cleaque orientated, institutionalized blind people tend to have more serious gender biases, likely because at least some of the specialist institutions do. Certainly my specialist school did, despite the fact that with only 32 pupils in the entire school if you only talked to boys your own age for example you'd pretty much be limiting yourself to about two other people, meaning I at least and certainly a couple of the other boys interacted fairly freely with the girls, ---- something which actually got me into trouble on at least one occasion  (bare in mind this was a junior school and I was 8-10 at the time).

I have also noticed however that that sort of blind person is highly unlikely to play audio games. I suspect therefore it isn't so much that the Vi gaming community is less gender biased so much as the less gender biased blind people tend to be the ones who play games.

2014-05-05 15:14:29

True. Some of you onhere, Dark in particular, might remember that seven years ago I was enaged to a woman who turned out to be interested in games like Final Fantasy VI. In fact togeter we played our way about "halfway" through the game before we ended things. In fact I still talk to her rather frequently since though our breakup wasn't exactly friendly she's since proven to be about as loyal a friend as I could ask for. And I still ahve the saved game we were working on, a fact which fascinated her when she found out. But she was also interested in a few of the more action oriented games I have such as Metroid Prime. Then she and her sister alsohad hours of fun playing Simpsons: Road Rage.