2007-02-14 22:19:00

Hello y' all,

First allow me to appologize for any spelling or grammar errors i make.
I am from the Netherlands, and though my English is quite alright, i'm only human.
Anyway, i've been looking for some 'original' online text games.
Could someone help me?
I'm looking for one of the following:
1. skill-based training. fully skill-based that is.
2. manual combat. (godwars two i already know about)
3. original magic. (so no bloody magic missile.)

I would also like to find a browser-based text game featuring a turn-based combat system, and a (you gain new abilities as you level) system, kinda like the original rpg,s on the game consoles.
Thanks to anyone who can give me a hand.

Regards,
Florianbeijers123 aka Balliol or Lykaios

2007-02-14 23:38:18

Hmm, looks like a tall order. As I understand it even Godwars isn't entirely skill based since you have classes, and it is the only game I've come across thus far that has 100% manual combat as opposed to automated normal combat with abilities like kick controlled manually.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-02-14 23:49:56

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Please don't worry about your English, there are already quite a few people hear from Holland, not to mention many other countries, and anyway! your English seems fine to me!

Now as to your question, I'm afraid I don't know anything at all about Muds (Godwars etc), because my annoying University connection won't let mee connect to them. However I have tried a fair few Brouser based rpg games. Unfortunately, most brouser based games I've tried tend to be purely and simply stat crunchers, with no exploration or quests, and the only purpose for increasing your stats is to defeat other players and rise in rank. Most such games do however feature turn based combat.

However, Sryth, http://www.sryth.com/ has a huge amount of exploration, many locations and quests.

the game is almost entirely skill based, with quite original magic.

another game you might wish to try is Legend of the Green Dragon. though the ultimate objective of the game is simply to rise in rank, the game does feature leveling and a litle exploration. While nowhere near as large or imho as interesting as Sryth, it's a moderately worthwhile game:

http://pqcomp.com/logd/

For a bit of humor, and some quite sarcastic writing, you might also considder Kingdom of loathing. Though again, the game world is not as large as Sryth, there are a couple of quests, as well as huge amounts of rather amusing items. My only complaint with this game is that the text describing each location is hidden under a mass of assorted ramle at the top of the page, which can get irritating. You can find the game at:

http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/login.php

while it's not precisely answering your question, I wonder if you've come across game books? These are books you read in your web brouser, where yu choose what happens in the story by going to the particular page (or link, in this case). though for many game books you need to roll your own dice and note down your own stats (I use a word document), many have interesting stat and magic systems as well as very unique and interesting fantasy worlds to explore and some great writing. They also generally feature turn based combat, though you often have to roll your own dice.

three good sites for such things are Project Aon: http://www.projectaon.org/new.htm

the fighting fantasy project (which also features an internal site based dice system): http://www.ffproject.com/

And (my personal favourite), the chronicals of Arborell (which also features some great novels and short stories set in a unique fantasy world):

http://www.arborell.com/

I hope you find some of these things useful. Sorry for bombarding you with links.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-02-15 08:31:06

Just thought more and I have a couple suggestions which fit at least one criteria.

Awakened Worlds
Based on the Shadowrun pen and paper RPG. Entirely skill and attribute based system in a near future setting with fully functional vehicles and guns. Original magic, but you have to type a fair size command every time you want to cast and magically active characters have penalties from having implants.

Alter Aeon
Always seems to show up somewhere. It is class based, but you may have levels in as many classes as you like out of the 4. Combat is semi-manual so basic attacks are automated but things like spells and kick/bash attacks are triggered by commands. Original world, but the magic seems to be drawn a little heavily from stuff like magic missile etc.

I've also heard people like Achaea and multiple users in middle earth (Tolkien) but I have no personal experience of them.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-02-15 16:50:44 (edited by parham 2007-02-15 16:54:17)

Well I also like Islands Of Myth, which doesn't have PK (player killing) as most muds seem to have these days. The magic is fine, and it is original magic. The races are about 25 races, from Ogiers (in WheelOf Time series by Robert Jordan) to vampires (which exist in lots of books) and thrickhrens, giants, faerie and etc.

2007-02-15 20:52:18

Nod, I really hate muds with enforced PK. Most games I play are PK optional, with a good number of NPK players.

cx2
-----

2007-02-15 21:52:34 (edited by dark empathy 2007-02-15 23:39:56)

Oooooh, I'm jealous! I've already wranted about the number of stat crunching Pk games that pretend to be Rpg's. When I escape uni network tyrrany, I'll have to get into the hole mudding business.

Btw, if people will forgive the extreme offtopicitude here, Parham and Cx2, how do you post links to other pages without directly coppying the address? I always think it's more aesthetically pleasing the way you've done it, so I'd deffinately like to know how it's done.

sorry if this is a stupid question, it's probably a result of my rather patchy technical expertees that I've never come across how to do this.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-02-16 14:13:36

Well. There is a list below where the submit button is. You can see:
list of 3 items
link BBCode
: on
link [img] tag
link Smilies
list end

If you click on the top item (BBCode), a new window will open, showing you the tags you can use to do this stuff and more things. I thought it would be better to give you the page rather than the code itself, since you will see lots of more techniques and tags there which would make your post quite better and good looking. smile
If you couldn't find that, here is the exact address:
http://forum.audiogames.net/help.php#bbcode

2007-02-16 16:35:44

Good thinking there. Just be careful, there are two ways to use the url tags. The one you want is, not including brackets,
url=address
With the text after it followed by the /url. The other way is
url close bracket address open bracket /url
With the corresponding other brackets of course.

cx2
-----

2007-02-16 17:31:10 (edited by dark empathy 2007-02-16 17:39:04)

Thanks people, I do feel a bit of a fool for not checking that pbbcode link myself (despite pronunciation issues, I should've worked out it was bullitin board code).

so, assuming I've got this coding affair right, you should be able to find the Chronicals of Arborell
Right here!

hurrah! it worked!

2007-02-17 04:29:20

Well, when we go live, I hope you folks will enjoy the RPG I'm helping to make. It's similar to PRPG in its layout, in some ways, but is far more quest-driven and has a lot of interesting storyline bits involved. Besides, I'm making sure to include riddles and such in quests so it's not all just about stat-crunching.

Once we get rolling, I'll plug the URL someplace and hope at least some of you'll try the game out, and tell me what you think. The owner is really good about interactivity and accessibility (he's already hard-coded a few things differently for me) so if any big issues pop up, I can let him know and he'll be sure to fix 'em.

As an aside: yes, Sryth is a good game, and LotGD (or any of its brethren) are halfway decent...but the LotGD games are ALL about stat-crunching, basically. The Kingdom of Loathing, now...there's a cute game. It's a little clunky to navigate for the first bit...the page-up and page-down keys are your friend, though (and this goes with other games like PRPG, too, since a lot of info stays on each page).

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-02-17 10:19:51 (edited by dark empathy 2007-02-17 10:33:17)

Well as I said before, sounds cool. I'll certainly be checking it out as it's ready.

games that stick lots of rubbish at the top of the screen do rather get on my whick, even using pg up and down. It doesn't matter if it's only a litle (as in Logd), but something like Kingdom of Loathing is rather annoying, and don't even get me started on Hogwarts live, the game that should be renamed Harry potter and the Prisoner of Advertisements ;D.

I've got a couple of game links I picked up from somebody on the audeasy list which I'll be trying as soon as I have the time. apparently both include a few quests, so might be worth my while to play for a bit.

If anyones either tried them before, or would like to play them, let me know.

the games are Warriors ii  and [url=http://www.gatesofsurvival.com/frame.php=Gates of survival[/url]

2007-02-17 17:52:58

Well, the links in KoL and PRPG and indeed in our game do have their uses (your stats, the players online list, the chats, etc.), but they're on every page, so it can be mildly annoying. Hey there's a thought...I might ask one of the programmers to see if links can be customizable, or link panes at least...

2007-02-17 18:06:33

Lol that Hogwards Live rocked! The fun thing on that game was that I got married in about three days of playing with a girl who insisted of keeping her age secret although I didn't ask their age. She started telling me that we can be friends in real life as well, and since I have a friend of that type already, I had to say no. From then on, I kept receiving emails that "Oy, you have another one? Forget her and come to me! Look, I will come to your country and I will let you do this and that", and then went on describing their body to me and things that I don't want to get into. I got disgusted and put that away. Today I checked the game and saw thousands of emails saying, "Please get online! I...". Well the rest are not good to say. Even I felt embarrassed reading them since I hate reading these posts or emails. Besides, I'd be headshot if my (what people call GF? Or whatever) ever see that. Lol. Anyway, yeah. All the games that I have seen are just like that, and among the muds, only those that are based on LPC are not like that. They mostly work with scenery things, that, well, make the game like an interactive fiction.

2007-02-17 21:24:49

Jayde, I don't have anything against links, it's just when you have to wade through thousands of them to get to the actual game content, having a link panel is a good idea (as in Sryth), but if this isn't possible, how about choosing whether to display links at the top or bottom of a page? Or just having a couple of essential links (such as charactor stats and inventory), and others such as chat, forum, donation to the game creators, and any Faq or help links contained on another page with a link to it called something like "Extras"

Also, adds should deffinately be at the bottom of a page undernieth game text rather than at the top or in the middle as in Hogwarts live.
Parham, that's really not good, personally i find that sort of thing incredlbly! embarressing.

I've never married in any such game, though when playing Logd, I did end up exchanging romantic gifts and messages with a girl, which was rather sweet, I'm sure she would've popped the question (in game terms anyway), at some point, but unfortunately I had to stop playing and das off to a music festival, ---- though this did give me the chance for a Phantom of the Opera style exit. I Haven't got around to playing Logd sinse, so I'm not sure what's happened there. It was all rather nice and romantic, purely in game, and entirely free of dodgy content, if only my real love life were that easy, ----- I'd better stop this before I get mordlin.

2007-02-17 22:45:23

I really don't think muds get that sort of thing that mucha ctually, there are only a few what you could call "pure RP" muds. Most focus on some balance of hack and slash and quests. You're still free to roleplay in them, but it's not all about the scenery etc.

cx2
-----

2007-02-18 04:36:39

Well, there are a few links per pane, and a few panes (personal, miscellany, communications). It might be possible to collapse any or all of these panes so they don't appear. I'm not sure if it'd be just as easy to swap their positions on a page, somehow I think that might be a trifle more difficult. My potential solution means that you will have all the links when you start, but can visit your account options to customize, then recustomize if you wish. You're still going to end up with some links, but it won't be quite so bad. The only downside is that if you want a lnk that you don't currently have, you either have to type the URL or will have to reopen the pane via Account Options, so it's unfortunately a bit of a tradeoff.

2007-02-18 05:26:35

Well Jayde, if the links are in Panes, Pg up and down should skip them nicely anyway, and customizable options would be great, that's something I've not seen in such games beforeat all, which is strange because it always strikes me as a thing that would be easy to do.

2007-02-18 09:35:39

As I've said, I can navigate on PRPG, on KoL and on this new game very fast, but that's because I'm used to the interface. It can seem a bit superfluous at times, but collapsible panes are really quite easy.

2007-02-18 10:56:47 (edited by dark empathy 2007-02-18 10:57:19)

I've not actually played Prpg, sinse the interface was a litle dauntin and the game lookd like a stat Cruncher.

I did manage to find relatively quick ways around KoL but compare to the time it would take me to navigate a similar page of Sryth Logd or Dark grimoire, it was a comparatively long time.

stil, it doesn't sound as if this game of yours will be half as pestulent in terms of page clutter as others I've tried, so no worries on that score.

2007-02-18 16:09:15

Well. Guys, I think we are geting a little Out-Of-Topic here, since this topic was about any good text-based online games... But come on, everyone gets off-topic, so why can't we? tongue
Dark, yeah, I sometimes wished it was. But fortunately that's  not that embarrassing in real life. The partner is quite understanding and she wouldn't go on telling you about what she would do if, you, well... Ahem. I'd better not talk about those in a public forum because I would be more embarrassed and besides, it's not right. Lol.
And Jade, there is just one thing. Why can't they get rid of the ads when the owner of an account is blind? And, what about putting the ads in a frame and putting the main content in another one?
I personally am better with pages without a frame and such (like the game currently is), but most people are more comfortable in this way... Anyway, it's just a suggestion.

2007-02-18 19:34:16

Well, the ads pay for server costs and such...that's why they must remain. If we can start out ad-free (I plan to donate to the game to help ensure that we ccan at least have a shot at this, and know half a dozen others who wish to do likewise, and no, that is NOT an advertisement or a plea, just a statement)...we might be able to stay that way.
Heh...you want stat-cruncher? DG makes PRPG look like nothing, but PRPG is gone to the dogs...if you haven't tried it, don't bother. KoL is fun, great fun, and hilarious. LotGD is another big stat-cruncher, though I found a replica I didn't mind too much for awhile...eragon Live.

2007-02-18 23:09:19

Well jayde, Dg was indeed slightly lacking in quests, which is why I've stopped playing, though due to work and other things, I haven't even devoted any serious time to Sryth sinse christmas.

How about having adds on the game's main logue in page and maybe on the forums and such, but not in game? Personally I'm quite happy to donate to a game if I enjoy it, but I certainly wouldn't like to see this game of yours go under for lack of funding because not enough people are prepared to donate.

Parham, I actually find things such as what the girl was saying to you just as embarrassing in Real life! (probably more!), however, what I was doing on Logd with said girl was not in the least dodgy, which made it quite nice, just sending flowers or chocolates in game, commysserating with each other when our charactors died, playing random duettes (we both had musical instruments in the game), that type of thing, which was as I say, extremely sweet, and certainly something I'd like to do in Real life at some point, ------ though I'll stop here once again sinse I don't want to inflict my romantic troubles on any other forum members.

As to Offtopicitude, well we are discussing text based online games, ----- we're just discussing them in a bit more detail than offering long lists of links.

2007-02-19 21:00:56

*nods his head at Dark Empathy*
Well Jade, I would pay if I could... sad

2007-02-19 22:58:35

Hi
I think the best way is to put a frame around the ads would be at the bottom of the page. I think that's the way audiogames.net has done it.
Game Man

Game Man