2013-02-01 20:15:10

Hello,

as MN Signal Processing is developing a FMOD plugin based on the BR2 binaural rendering algorithm, we are looking for beta testers on the iOS platform.

To give you an idea of how the BR2 plugin works, here's a small video tutorial that explains how BR2 can be included in an existing FMOD Designer based project:
http://youtu.be/a7WEB-lMhWI

If you are interested in testing the BR2 plugin, please send an email to [email protected], giving us some information about the project where you would like to use the BR2 plugin (i.e. if it is a game, which genre, where you're at in the development process, etc.), and also if MNSP may cite your project as a reference.

As we currently don't have the resources to give support to a larger number of beta testers, we will choose over the next few weeks about 5 to 10 projects that will receive the BR2 plugin pre-release in the first round of beta testing.

Best regards,
Fritz (MNSP)

2013-02-01 21:27:57

Eep! Is New Releases the most appropriate place for this? But I don't have an iOS device! Or a history of finishing things! :'(

This does sound awesome enough to warrant staying near the top of whichever room it winds up in (which might be this one, since it is directly related to audio games and is something new). I'm really hopeful for what comes out of this! (And slightly more inclined to get back into C).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-02-01 23:01:25

Yes, I was not really sure where to put this post... But I'm looking forward to discussing this wherever it fits.

By the way, I did this plugin for FMOD because it gives the developer a lot of powerful tools like FMOD Designer, but I have also a plain C library for those who like to work with audio buffers directly.

2013-02-01 23:51:37

Oh gush. It's a pity, that It doesn't developed also for Windows.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2013-02-02 00:21:48

FMOD is fairly cross platform in general; this particular feature is in the process of being tested for iOS.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-02-02 16:53:03

It would definitely be possible to produce a windows version of the plugin. It's all plain C, but so far uses the vDSP library for accelerated math operations. Replacing vDSP for example with Intel's IPP library would not be such a big problem.

The question for me right now however is if there is actually a market for binaural rendering for games. I talked with some game companies and they seem more keen on investing their time and money in graphics. Spatial audio seems to be something like their lowest priority.

2013-02-02 19:23:58

The sense I'm getting from mainstream gamers is that they're getting tired of developers focusing on bigger and better graphics. Unfortunately, I doubt they care much about sound (I've noticed a few getting more interested in good sound design, but not so much 3d/binaural sound). The recent rumors about the impending arrival of the PS4, for instance.
There would be plenty of interest here, of course, but we're a tiny market (Dark's conversations with Nintendo and Capcom representatives made it pretty clear what major game companies think about that).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-02-03 03:54:48

hi,
Personally, i don't see the point in main streem games any more. There not going to listen to us, therefor why should we pay about 40 pounds on a game we can hardly play. The only acception would be mortal combat.

Underworld Tech.
Accessibility from us, to you.
Visit us

2013-02-03 04:31:29

You know, I read similar comments from sighted gamers, too! Of course, most of them will buy major titles anyway, but the sentiment that the game developers aren't listening to their fanbases is definitely out there. (Especially at Gamesutra, hahaha).
Meh, which is why I want a decent substitute for visual information like the vOICe or Senseg's eSense. Except, you know, available and usable.
But quality binaural sound rendering is absolutely a step in the right direction, and if I had an iOS device, I'd totally want to apply for the beta in the op.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-02-03 14:32:13

Wow. I'm not sure if there's any true Binaural algorithms out there, and if there aren't any, this is revolutionizing. Though I've heard that there is sort of one, but I've never played a game using true 3d.

Being a light scripter programmer sort of, just know a little VB6 and C, but not enough to write any simple programs, well I could see this becoming very complex. It's very cool though, and I'm sure that the efert to put it into a game is worth it. And it's especially important in audio games, where everything is represented through sound. We need something countering all the advanced graphics libraries out there.

Hum, I'll get Ghorthalon, as he seems very interested in a way to create binaural audio. Well aren't we all big_smile
If I were a hardcore programmer, I'd definitely check this out. In the future I might, but I've kinda taken a pause from any serious projects so.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2013-02-03 18:26:46

It exists, but it's so complicated it requires specialized hardware, so a more general purpose library like this would definitely be revolutionary. Supposedly XAudio2 has 3D sound capabilities, but there are bugs that make it kinda pointless there.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-02-03 18:35:53

hi,
I'd love there to be something like this, especially as it would be true 3d instead of some things you get now. I mean, sure earclang is great, but it'd be greater to have something like this for general purpose games on windows as well as audio ones. I can defonatly see there being a market for it.

Underworld Tech.
Accessibility from us, to you.
Visit us

2013-02-04 16:48:47

Hi.
So, how can we test this? Has any game been made so far?
Papa sangre, The nightjar and Blindsite are using 3d sounds. It's amasing!

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2013-02-04 18:09:04

Are any of those free and under 50 mb?
And, SLJ, the way you could test this is if you are developing something. They'd distribute.a code library for the developer to implement in his game. Much like those roming BGT scripts you can see on the internet that is set to perform various tasks, but slightly more complicated big_smile

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2013-02-04 19:22:47

It's still in Beta, from the sounds of the OP. I expect we'll have a more public example in, eh, a month or three? smile

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-02-04 23:48:45

Sounds definitely interesting. I'm often lost in virtual 3D game worlds we have currently in audiogames or find navigation rapidely too hard, and definitely don't understand how blind people manage to play console games (outside 2D versus fighting which is indeed the big exception).

I think that having a more precise 3D audio engine capable of rendering minoral sounds will certainly help a lot in that area, and will be an excellent progress for us, to have nicer and immersive game world.

I'm also convainced that it is also excellent for sighted people, who will even more be immerged into the game world than they already are, but it seems that allmost all researches are made on graphics nowadays. At least I have the impression that audio in gaming didn't make much improvements in the last few years. 5.1 or 7.1  is still complex to install, uncompatibilities are too frequent, relatively few games really use it, and it's still not that cheap. Minoral sounds and high-quality stereo headphones should be the future for audio gaming, I find.

It would be nice to have a multiplatform plugin. Even if more and more people are getting into mac and iOS, most of us still are on windows. I infortunately don't have iPhone, otherwise I would certainly be happy to try out something.

A quick note, the free library OpenAL Soft seems to have a minoral module, but I have tried and didn't hear something really interesting. I don't know if it's because my headphones were too poor quality, if I did something wrong in configuration, or if I'm not normal... as I understand, minoral effects must help make the difference between above or below, and between in front and behind located sounds (correct me if I'm wrong).

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2013-02-05 10:11:48

TheTrueGamer: No, none of those games are either free or under 50 mb. why should they be under 50 mb?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2013-02-05 16:28:15

Because I'm on a 3G network and on my iPhone, and it won't let me download anything over 50 MB on my 3G network. Suckish people, isn't that my own damn option? But it won't matter anyway, since as they're not free, I won't be getting them.
Just a quick OT question, but when will this sixth sense become comertial, since in one week, I can download it, when I'm at my ants house.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2013-02-05 20:56:00

6th sense is already available... I'm not sure what you mean by commercial.

Discord: clemchowder633

2013-02-05 20:59:02

I asked for how long it will be free. I just need one more week, and I'll have it.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2013-02-08 23:43:55

Not to poor cold water on this or anything, but how many audiogames are out there that use FMOD to begin with? I don't know of any, and the last time I looked at it all their design tools are completely inaccessible. WWISE had a horrifyingly confusing manual, but at least I could use it.

2013-02-09 00:04:35

I know of one, but what it used it for could have been accomplished as well with tritonus.
I've tried working out how to use it myself; the complexity is quite painful. I'm hoping that, if it hasn't been done already, it can eventually be wrapped in something like BGT's sound_pool (which is probably the least head-explody sound API I've come across ever).
But next to XAudio2 fixing its bugs, progress with FMOD seems way better than nothing.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-02-09 04:34:51

Right, but how do you define progress? It can acquire all the most amazing wizzbangs ever and they won't mean dick until we can use them in something.

2013-02-09 06:07:45

I got the impression that was the point of this topic, to get it usable in something (specifically iOS programs).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-02-09 14:14:39

It's to test a plugin for FMOD. it has nothing to do with making FMOD itself more accessible to blind people. Not that 3d binaural rendering isn't cool, but no one here is gonna use it because no one here is able to use FMOD. Unless I'm missing something. Believe me, I'd love to be wrong.