2013-01-12 01:22:30

This time the link is correct.

http://spaceretro-audiogame.com/

Enjoy the game.

2013-01-12 02:02:08

Hi,
it's really good. smile I really like the voice. smile and the ship sounds and the difficulty of it. I mean it's not to easy but not to hard. (I completed it on my first go). smile It was fun!
Can't wait to see more, if there is more games from this developer?

I'm gone for real :)

2013-01-12 02:11:43

Hi,
I'm really happy you liked it. I designed the the game (small project for my msc course) and a friend did the programming part.I am already concerned about the difficulty and the duration of the game and i'm working on improving it. It is our first one but soon more will follow.

Glad you liked it. Gives us strength to create more.

Giorgos

2013-01-12 08:14:57

Hi.

I Hope the msc goes well.

As regards the game, I completedted it on my first go too big_smile. Firstly the idea is rather unique. We have seen lots of space invaders games in audio, see this list for details indeed it's such a common theme for an audio game that it's got it's own catagory on the site, however with the system of ships moving across and the control scheme you have you came up with a rather different take on this which was good.

The problem however was that because all your ships moved left to right, and because your guns could shoot as soon as you heard an alien ship on one side or the other, I found the game turning into something of a boppit clone, ie, just hearing a sound on one side or the other and hitting instantly, indeed I don't think I ever pressed space bar, f or j throughout the entire game I just used the d and k keys everytime I heard something at the sides.

You might therefore have a think about altering the distances, speed and range of your guns, indeed as a general point this is one of the major problems in audio game design, trying to produce a game that requires as much of the players' judgement as just being a quick reaction fest. After all, in graphical space invaders you need to line yourself up with each falling ship, dodge shots etc, it's not just a question of hitting a button.

so this is something you might think about in expanding the game, since it is a unique idea to have a left to right moving enemy.
speaking of the enemies, the sounds in this game were great, and I particularly liked the way that different sounding enemy ships appeared throughout the game which kept the audio particularly interesting to listen to and is something I do hope you keep even if you plan on expanding the game with different ship types etc. the only thing the sound was missing I thought was a good explosion affect since blowing the ships up wasn't quite as satisfying as it could've been, likewise, some victory or death sounds might have been good, as might maybe some different background if you plan on expanding the game, though the electronica beats you had were certainly retro enough big_smile.

that being said I really enjoyed the voice acting and story, I got the distinct idea that the ship's captain wasn't someone to argue with big_smile.
I also appreciated the fact that the story and instructions were all part of the game, rather than just generally presenting you with a "blow up as many ships as you can" sort of motivation as most arcade style games do.

I do hope the game gets expanded, since there is a lot of potential hear provided the gameplay can be made a little less of the hear it, hit it style, as well as obviously making the game longer and more challenging.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)