2012-12-23 22:57:55

Hi everyone, I recently downloaded the Swamp Map editor and started creating maps, but whenever I try to load my map from the map editor main menu it says maps test map doesn't exist. each time I save my map is when I can't re-open it through  the editor, but the maps I make show up perfectly in the swamp maps folder.  When I type load, it asks me for file name, so I put in the name death map, which is what i'm working on, that's when I get the message about maps test map not existing.  Also, as a test I created a safe zone and another smaller room outside called a wasteland so I could practice walking out.  I managed to load the map through swamp, but even though I could hear sounds such as lute and the room ambience I'd set, I couldn't move when I pressed right mouse button.  Could someone tell me where I'm going wrong?  Many thanks fromLori.

out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

2012-12-28 12:37:02

Well, the problem about why you can't move is because you have to set your player's starting coords. You do this by going to the tile you want in the Editor, and pressing shift plus B. It will then set the player starting coords to that tile. So, whenever a player loads the map, they will start on that tile.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2012-12-28 15:03:26

Ah, thanks, I'll try that,does the same go for setting a default location that the zombies can't reach, like the safe zone?

out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

2013-01-01 06:21:11

To define a safe zone, you need to have a area called safe zone. I'm not sure about the capitalization, but if you look in other map files, it should be clear. Same goes for outpost.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2013-01-01 07:12:22

I think the Safe zone and outpost need to be the second zone as well. As in "you are at stairs of outpost", or something similar.
I'm not sure why it wouldn't be loading for you. I don't think you need to specify the maps/ part of the filename, so just entering testmap should load it.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-01-01 07:46:03

Nah cause you have a prefix for that, and if she entered maps/thisisarandommap.dat, the path would be "maps/maps/thisisarandommap.dat" which really wouldn't make much sense unless you created a subfolder in the maps folder called maps. Oh and hey wait. If I remeber, it appends .dat automatically too doesn't it. So if she entered maps/anotherrandommap.dat the end result would be "maps/maps/anotherrandommap.dat.dat lol

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2013-01-01 07:54:29

There actually isn't a default extension; I kept it this way because the built-in maps appear to be extension-less. I know I've done checks for redundant path prepending in other programs, but I don't remember if I did for this one.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-01-01 13:18:40

The Swamp maps don't have an extension, so people can use whatever extension they want to, if it so suits them.  I left it this way assuming that one day some people would have them as text files (if that's how they edited them), or they would have files produced by possibly a few different unofficial map editors which might be using their own extensions to prevent people from accidentally opening them with the wrong program they were created with.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2013-01-01 14:43:29

moderation!

while I know the swamp map editer is a comparatively new release, sinse this is a topic asking for assistance with it,  I've moved it to general game discussion.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)