2012-12-10 11:47:42 (edited by aaron 2012-12-10 11:50:13)

Hi,
So this is just a random site I found. It seems community driven, but it's basically a bunch of gamebooks with stats, but I've seen some rather neet ones. One of them, dead man walking, has over 2000 pages and has been lorded as one of the most in-depth stories on the site, along with Order of the Midnight Sun.
Dead man walking is a zombie game while Order of the Midnight Sun is a fantasy, both of them may not be suitable for those under the age of 15 though.
You can find these stories and a hole load of others, but I got no idea how good the rest are, at:
www.chooseyourstory.com

2012-12-10 15:00:16

I actually found that site a while ago and have it listed in my favourites, however back when I looked it seemed that the quality of the writing there was so completely awfull that it wasn't worth visiting, indeed I never gave it a page on the db for that reason sinse it just seemed like a  bunch of half finished, immature,  ungrammatical rubbish!

That was however a fair time ago, and  it is possible that either a, I didn't see the best of what the site had to offer, or B, that matters have improved  sinse then.

After all, it wouldn't be the first community driven project where there are several worth while items and a hole bunch of  dross.

I'll have a look when I get some time, particularly at the stories you mentioned.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-12-11 13:47:48

Dead Man Walking seems quite interesting... big_smile I haven't figured out how to save, though... Through favorites, maybe, but for some reason I couldn't add the page there, so...

Do I need an account for that? That'd be a bit... Hmm... Weird, I think. smile

But yeah, thanks for telling us about this, it's looking nice... Some of the storries are, at least, found a few which were just... Umm... Yeah... Read Dark's post again. big_smile

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2012-12-12 15:21:32

Just completed Dead Man Walking, it's really great written - at least the chapters I got... big_smile

How You Did

Here’s a rundown of how you did –

You Killed 29 Zombies
You Killed 1 Drooler Zombies
You Killed 0 Bloater Zombies
You Killed 0 Ghouls
You Killed 0 Banshees
You Killed 1 Hell Hounds
You Killed 1 Cannibal Gaunt Zombies
You Killed 4 People
You Saved 58 People (including yourself, unless you died)
You were eaten by 0 Zombies
Your Overall Score: 20205
(You played through 124 of 2,131 Pages and have proven to be a Survivalist)

Was fun, might try again and take an other path... Never got to that park in the city... Heh.

2012-12-17 03:11:54

I love that story dead man walking, I really hope that it gets a DB link as it has over 2000 pages and 3 major possible directions to go in, plus an in depth score.
The writing, while not novel quallity, is more like short story quallity and situational rather than eloquent, but there is good sentence structure, and never once did I find my self getting board.
It requires you to read carefully, but it's an excelent story.
There are very few spelling mistakes as in 1 or 2 per every 3 pages or so, and pages are usually long.
This is my score below

You Killed 6 Zombies

You Killed 0 Drooler Zombies

You Killed 0 Ghouls

You Killed 0 Banshees

You Killed 1 Hell Hounds

You Killed 0 Cannibal Gaunt Zombies

You Killed 2 People

You Saved 5 People (including yourself, unless you died)

Your Overall Score: 20595

(You played through 87 of 2,131 Pages and have proven to be a Survivalist)

I wasn't bitten once, nor did I die, the 6 zombies I took out were as I was leaving in the last part of the story lol, and it went over with out a hitch.
I avoided zombies as much as possible, and went stealth when ever I could.

I killed 2 people, the first I felt bad about, it was a secritary in a bathroom who was terrifyed and histaricle and wanted to go with me, but at the other end of the hallway was a door and there were hundreds of zombies pounding on it because she attracted them with her screaming.
My choices were either dash for the other door with her, which would probably get us both eaten since they were closing in fast, to kill her and spare her getting eaten alive, or run and use her as a destraction while she got eaten.
In this game I chose what I would have had to choose if I was in this situation and could see.
I figured that it was like a 90 percent chance we would both get eaten, so I killed her by hitting her in the head with a crowbar.
I felt bad about of it of course and it screwed up my score, but I'd rather that than have her eaten, besides they got distracted by her body anyway and left me alone.
I figured a mercy killing was better then us both being eaten alive.
I saved a little boy and my family because the little boy was a good hider and because I was close to my house when I had the choice to pick him up.
Speaking of my house that's the rout I took, saving my family, which I did with out a hitch.
The other person I killed was the jerk who had held my wife hostage in the game and raped her, my carictor pulped his head with a crowbar, and it was fun!
lol
I did go past one girl on the road, and didn't pick her up even though she was asking, which I felt bad about because she was pretty frantic, but she had a hockeystick and she looked like she could sorta take care of her self.
She really freaked out and looked scared when I drove past her and left saying I was sorry, which made me feel bad cause I guess she wasn't a strong as she looked, but I had to get to my house as fast as I could, and didn't want to get the little boy hurt, plus the game kept suggesting that it was a trap.
Anyway I'm going to play it in a different way again, lol, this game rocks

2012-12-17 03:39:39

I killed all four you mentioned... I killed the first woman because of the same reasons you just told. The boy... Well, he obviously couldn't help himself... And I wouldn't risc taking him with me, only to find out he'd pull both us down, so to say... I'll add, that that isn't how I'd act IRL. IRL, I'd have taken him with me, but I tried to think as logically as possible while playing.
That other girl got kiled because... Well... I kinda had too, if I say that, then I don't spoil anything...
And yeah, that stranger in my house... *Growls* He touched my wife! smile

ON the other hand, I saved the whole school! big_smile

2012-12-17 09:48:29

Hi

here's my epilog for land of the midnight sun, which was great.

Epilogue for Ari Peace-Bringer to the Land

Parents would pass on the legend of Ari, the second Ipsissimus and bringer of the second age of the country.  The legend went something as follows.

Ari was born to two loving parents, unfortunately for the family, the birth was hard on the mother and she passed away.  The man who delivered the baby was called Tom Wan. Tom Wan wanted to ensure Ari's success in his life and he cast a spell on a woman there, to make sure that he'd get the help he needed.  The woman was a girl named Maya Korman, best friends with the late mother of Ari and mother of one.  Ari grew up in a small farming community, known as Ni town.  At age fourteen he fell in love with his beautiful childhood friend, Artemis.  An evil group of people called the Crimson Knights attacked their village, hoping to kill Ari and his love, because they were afraid of what he might be able to accomplish.

Ari was saved by some brave men, lead by a very brave man named Gavin. Gavin, along with his good friends Peter, Scott and Trowell, as well as twenty others, drove off the eight powerful Crimson Knights.  They kept Ari under their protection, but Artemis became very sick and so they brought the two of them to their incredible castle called Icarus.  Once at Icarus, Ari became the youngest student in the Order of the Midnight Sun's history at age fourteen.  He completed his entry test with a score of 10/15.  After he spent six months making sure that he wanted to be in the order, he agreed.  Part of the initiation ceremony is a test, and Ari, along with twenty others were stuck in kilometer long tunnels and left to fend for themselves and find a way out.  Ari helped everyone involved get out, in a never before seen feat. It took them about a year but with Ari's supreme leadership skills, everyone got out alive.

Ari turned more heads when he showed what he was beginning to be capable of, actually managing to destroy Runes. Runes are near-on impossible to destroy and he did it easily.  Word spread quickly and soon Ari was famous, but he never let it get to his head.  Soon, a rival nation declared war on our country and most of the Order was sent to help save the country while the Crimson Knight's looked after their own goals.  Ari was sent to make sure the Crimson Knights couldn't achieve their goals and ruin the world.  He had to make sure that they didn't get Daleir Mcelley's necklace from his tomb. That meant that Ari had to find his tomb first and he scoured the four corners of the country to find it.  He completed a gigantic maze, he singlehandedly defeated an army of thousands of men in the southeast, essentially turning the tide of the war, he fought various battles in the southwest and won the front there, and he met Tom Wan, for what he thought was the first time in his life.

Tom Wan eventually showed him the tomb. Ari had to overcome a great personal battle to finally get the necklace from the tomb, but he beat the Crimson Knights to it and when he returned to Icarus, he was a hero, but that wasn't the end of the story.  He would be tutored and taught by Tom Wan and would soon meet Horus, the God of the sky.  Soon after though, the order was betrayed and attacked by most of the Crimson Knights while the Orders forces were out trying to save their Magi from the same Knights.  The necklace was stolen by the double-crossing Jared Mcelley and his true love was captured.  Ari, determined to fix things, traveled to Kordigan and for the second time in his life witnessed tragedy as he was forced to watch Artemis die.  He tapped into vast personal reserves and achieved the rank of Ipsissimus and defeated Jared Mcelley. After that, he allowed the Crimson Knights to live, and they never bothered anyone ever again..

Ari would rebuild the order and the castle, into a far greater thing.  He encouraged the order to be even more active in the community and changed some order doctrines including a certain age restriction. Eventually the entire country was put under his order's rule and he brought prosperity and freedom to the world like never before.

It is rumored that Tom Wan visited him once and again and they would smoke a pipe together and talk as old friends.  Ari never found love again, but he finds out that Artemis secretly bore a child before she died and Ari properly parents the young girl that he names Anna.  He ensures that what happened with Jared would never happen again. He lived happily knowing that he would find Artemis in the after-life.

The order's numbers grew and soon there were many castles devoted to it.  Rumors of the teachings spreading into other countries became facts and on his deathbed Ari was seen talking to Tom Wan about a tomb.  There are still many treasure-hunters out there searching for it to this day and Ari still watches from the heavens, protecting the Order of the Midnight Sun and all who follow the path of light.

Love is the Law. Love Under Will.

comments on the zombie game are below

I took the boy cause he was a good hider, lol, and by the way I hate to ruin it, but.

spoiler alert!
spoiler alert!
spoiler alert!

The tomgirl was bitten, and later turns into a zombie, you can kill her with out risk though and you don't lose any humanity I think.

an interesting thing is that the very first time I one the game, I didn't act as a carrier and give my wife the virus, killing her but every other time I have, I think it is not the drueler zombie strangely, but maybe the 2 women you have to kill if you grab the gun from the large hall off the security hall on the other end of the area from the bathrooms which I haven't done till these times after the first time.

I didn't take the hole school because I knew it would be a risk, and I didn't stay because I did not know that at the time zombies took only a month to rought away.

I later discovered that the hole school had died, which made me feel bad but like I said, lol I didn't know and I thought they could keep it together, guess not.

2012-12-17 14:59:03

Ahoy there.
I haven't finished the Dead man walking story yet, for the simple reason that I lost my net in the middle of the story ,and as it was on my mobile,but that's a long story,and I'd rather not clutter this post up with OT stuff. however, thanks bunches aaron. choose your story is quite good and I have played and finished several awsome gamebooks like.
necromancer
pretty good,has 2 different main paths you can take,and various subpaths. the story mostly is different for both the main paths. though I haven't gotten the epilog yet.
next is eternal
I would highly recommend this one. if you are the type to enjoy wars/daggers asassin stuff. I haven't traveled the path of the shadowGuards aka the Asassins or the security police. each path, that is the Army and the shadowGuards have 4 different epilogs. I have gone through and achieved the 4 epilogs for the army,and I must say that I liked them a lot.
slight spoilers ahead

the only gripe I have with it is that my character decided to leave the empire without giveing me a choice.whilst I would have liked to continue as a faithful General or a war dog,what you will. tongue

I was going for the feel of a Alexander Vongrippen typeish character, holding out for the empire til the end. ahem, I am slightly, put that in quotes crazy for the falcon banner series?but I digress
next on our recommendations is Mommy Can I go out and kill to night?
its title made me think that it was one of those tipicle stories where you go out and basicley kill ,kill and kill some more. but of course, I was wrong. you can kill a few characters,but remember you will usually not get a free pass. this is the hardest story on the site I have played so far,although that's not saying much. I have tryed 2 times and both times...
spoiler ahead!

gotten moughed down by a mp5,sheesh.

spoiler end
so if you don't mind something a bit hard and fun,sortish. I'd highly recommend this one.
if anyone knows of anymore sites like this, do let me know.and I for one would be interested to here peoples opinions on the stories above. what are ya waiting for,go ahead and click! I know you want to! big_smile
grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-12-17 16:27:53

Okay, now I remmber it... It wasn't that girl on the road that I killed, it was a boy on the school... But well, I still had to do it, he was turning.

2012-12-17 21:29:12

Hey all,
I've been on Choose your Story for a while now. I played Order of the Midnight Son when it came out and marveled at how detailed it was. Honestly, while Dead Man Walking is fun, I think The Order has a whole crapton more content and it's more advanced as well.
Eternal is EndMaster's latest work as well as Necromancer is another good one by him, but if you haven't already, check out Ground Zero. Lots of pathes and oportunities in there as well.

2012-12-17 23:19:13

Hi

I liked land of the midnight son fine enough, though the maze took entirely too long, and I only got it with some serious guess work and at least 45 minutes of walking around.

I have not tryed necromancer, but after completing eternal, I don't think I'll try it.

For me eternal was a huge let down, the gameplay was so very linniar.
Often completely reasonable choices, though there were few in the firstplace, ended up with some drawn out anoying explination of why I died in some rediculis way that could have been avoided, aka, he only wanted the story to go in one direction for most of it.
Also I know you were raised to be a cold blooded killer and all, but with the amount of confliction in this dudes messed up mind, you'd think there would be a somewhat good aligned path.
Now I'm not saying I don't like playing evil chars in games, but really, you can't even become a soldier, and while the shadow guys seem better than the empire, there's basicly a huge part of the story, between years 31 and 34, where you almost get your girlfriend killed in stupid ways, allow some ass to enslave a bunch of inasent people with out any choice in the matter about killing him, and use small children as suaside bombers.
While all that is kinda necisary in some parts, that's only because you don't have enough choices.
Any minor streighing from the path of the ultimate loser is punished with emediate death, and he completely forgets emportant things like how the darrow captured a lot of shadow women at the gloom fortrace, pop, out his mind, what a dumbass my char is.
I would have liked to be at least neutral, but no, I'm constantly forced towards the worst choices for everyone.
No, I think I'll stick with the zombie story and land of the midnight son, in those, my char actually has some choices, and isn't a complete thug with no brains.

you guys might wana try out lightspeed, it's short and simple, but fun, and has good plot twists.
The spelling mistakes on the first few pages aren't bad though anoying, and that's only a few pages, like 5, and still not menny mistakes, from there it pretty much evens out, and you get maybe 1 or 2 per 3 pages.

Yes, I'll try necromancer, but just from the title, I can guess that I'll be locked in to being an asshole again, groan.

2012-12-17 23:57:54

As I said, try Ground Zero. That has a lot of character choices.

2012-12-20 21:26:45

Obviously there is some good stuff on this site after all, I will check it out sinse as people know I'm a gamebook fan and odds are it'll get a db page if  I do indeed encounter stuff that is actually worth  reading, aka, doesn't sound like it was by an idiot who is either 12 or has the Iq of a 12 year old and about as much grasp of English grammar and  propper sentences as  Gengis Kahn! big_smile.

I  certainly wouldn't claime to be perfect on either spelling or grammar, but when something reads like

"and you likem, go 2 lik dis ruum and 2 kill  lotsa fings w ur gun cos u is lik dis t0f  asasin gi w0t  dnt care  bout  no shit"

I don't really see the point in wasting my time, or indeed anyone else's with it,  and believe me, I'm not exaggerating, well not at least too much big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-12-27 11:53:43

Okay, I've had another look at this site and have even got an account.

the idea is nice, and the developer seems quite up for doing access stuff, though in access terms the only really major flaw I've come across is that the  options menue  with the  save link is unlabled, which is quite irritating.

In fairness however obviously there is an advanced editer on there, indeed the game dungeon stompage impressed me  as a quite fun rpg and I  have played a little of dead man walking.

I am also amused at the site's xp system and rand duels as well big_smile.

2012-12-27 19:31:43

Yeah, it is always good to look at things an extra time. big_smile I wonder if I should create an account too, I doubt I really need one, though.

2012-12-27 23:33:53

Well you can rate games, and the duel system which has a minigame to it is sort of entertaining.

2012-12-28 18:36:29

Well the developer has thankfully fixed the save issue, indeed now all! the options in game are fully accessible including go bac  to choose another path and restart as well as save.

I'm quite impressed sinse I only contact the developer about this yesterday and it's already fixed, so I'd definately recommend everyone have a go as some of the games on there are great quality.

I know for a fact the site  works with supernova, and Shadowdragon dropped me a line saying he'd tried with jaws and nvda,   though of course where websites are concerned usually unless things are very complex most screen readers have equal usability on various pages so it should also work with window eyes and system access as well.

either  way I'd now distinctly recommend giving it a try.

2012-12-28 19:59:59

Hi all,
I'm actually using Jaws 9.0 on an xp box. and I never had a problem with the save and go back links being unlabled.
Thankfully, I'm upgrading to windows 7 and Jaws 14 within the week.
smile
Of course, I'll always have NVDA installed too!
big_smile

I tried to create an account, but had a problem with the birthday question. I'm not sure what format they want that in, and when I click create account, it keeps coming back with a * (star) below it.
Meaning, fix this part, its wrong. So no clue why that's exactly happening.

Anyway, I love all the books mentioned, and am glad to see that this site might get a DB entry.
smile

2012-12-28 20:34:30

The developer is going to fix the birthday thing sinse that caused problems for me too, but in the mean time if you contact the dev about creating an account that should work.

I don't think you'll have seen the save or go back links unless! you have an account, maybe your thinking of the "back to beginning" and other standard links that turn up in the stories themselves? either way they're now fixed so no trouble  there.

As for a db entry, well I tried writing one up this evening, unfortunately  however there seems to be a goblin in the works sinse I couldn't create the new page, but as soon as this is fixed the game will indeed get an entry.

2012-12-29 04:43:51

Oh, yay, sounds great! big_smile Definitely gonna play DMW again, I didn't save my wife the one time I tried... Sadly. sad On the other hand, I saved about everyone in the school, so... big_smile

2012-12-29 12:28:02

Firstly, thanks Dark for confirming I'm not the only one who's had trouble with that dad ratted birthday thing. But, how do I contact the dev?
Unless I'm not looking cloesly, which is altogether possible. I haven't found a tipicle, contact us link.

Secondly, Alex, it sounds like we had the exact same ending with DMW. lol
I must say, I was more then a little spooked when those army guys rolled up and said you can all go home now. I was like, uh...
Anyway, it was a real fun story to play, and get through.
smile

2012-12-29 15:10:01

Well mike, the contact us link  is at the very bottom of the page. It is indeed a very standard E-mail contact form.

Just in case you can also Find it here directly  the main programmer himself actually admitted that the birthdate thing was less than workable and talked about replacing it with the more standard 3 list boxes for day month and year.

As to dead man walking, well I'm just starting that game now. it looks fun for a bit of gorey post appocalypse doom with plenty of zombies to slay. i'll let people know How I've done when i've got through it.

2012-12-30 00:41:19

Well I've finished dead man walking.

A little sterriotypical, even a hysterical wife,   but fun for what it did on the tin, I was quite amused with how your character was basically  brick! aka, really tough, despite being an accountant.

fun for what it was though, a regular old zombi slaughter fest.

You Killed 47 Zombies
You Killed 0 Drooler Zombies
You Killed 0 Ghouls
You Killed 0 Banshees
You Killed 1 Hell Hounds
You Killed 0 Cannibal Gaunt Zombies
You Killed 1 People
You Saved 60 People (including yourself, unless you died)
Your Overall Score: 44247
(You played through 135 of 2,131 Pages and have proven to be a Rebuilder)

I'll discuss spoilers below so if you didn't  finish the game read no  further.
As  for what people said, I don't know if you can save the secretary in the bathroom. i tried to save her but she ended up getting  munched outside the security door, though luckily I'd got the combination so could lock it. I saved the little boy in the boat house and got him to safety, saved my wife, (I'm not even sure how you get her killed unless you go down to the basement  first or don't have the fire axe), and finished up taking all the people in the school out to the campsite. 

I'm not sure if the one person i killed was the prisoner  in my house having his way with my wife,  or the girl with the hocky stick who got into the car and who'd been bitten. I took the option of inviting her in if I tied her up, but when she refused that I let her come anyway. Luckily i think because I drove my car into  the garage she was still wearing  the  seatbelt so when she turned I got to just axe her.

So my  character finished up pretty well indeed I was told I got the best possible  ending which was fun, and I only had to take back once,  I was actually quite amused how the author tended to reward you for taking your time to explore and also for going gun hoe without  being stupid.

while I do wish the characters were a little  better, and I would've liked to see some extra  zombi types mentioned in the virus description I got for winning, indeed the  hole cult thing in the church looked awsome, i did rather enjoy the game, rated it a 7 out of 8 and will likely play through again at some point to try and see some different paths, though for now I want to try some other games, in particular dungeon stompage, which has a silly name but a full on stats and combat system and is basically an rpg.

2013-01-01 05:04:29

Hi Dark, I am in love with this game er, story dungeon stompage. But I'll be hanged if I can ever find a way to win out.

It depends a lot on which skills you choose to train up. I invariably train, melee, climb, and stealth to excellent.
But that doesn't seemm to be the winning combonation of skills. There has to be a place for charm and parley to lower prices and so on.
I'd really like to see my way clear to purchasing that longbow in the armory, but even with the coffer of gold gotten in the beginning, I have no clue how I'll be able to afford it.

Which means I'll need to train target to excellent also, To have a fighting chance at a better end game result.

I'll continue to work at it to be sure. The riddles aren't always simple either. I'm glad the author gave us a chance for better armor and didn't just send us on our way with that lil dagger. lol

It'd be nice if there was a way to see the stats of the purchasable items in the armory. I'd like to pick up that short sword of speed, but not really sure it'd help much.

Can ya tell? I really like this story, and I'm bound and determined to find a way to win out over that evil necro.
big_smile

Happy new year to everyone!
smile

2013-01-01 05:41:08

If someone wants to play a really bad ass story, also written by endmaster, you should check out lovesick, underneath horror. I just say, children beware. It is not intended for weakhearted people, and at the time of it's creation, it got the highest maturity level, and I can understand that. If you enjoy that kind of humor, go ahead and play. Either you'll be dissappointed or give it the highest rating.
@dark
Wow, you got a lot better score than me. I don't remember how I did exactly, but my score were around 10000 below yours, though I got the rebuilder award. Unfortunately, I thought that taking the entire school with me would easily reveal our position to the zombies when trying to get out, so I only took the teenagers. I'm amazed, I mean, I played like 80 pages and there are over 2100, so let's just say that I haven't explored everything. I have to do a swamp campain of this, though perhaps not as complicated big_smile
The writing was gorgious, but that's from a non-english-speaking person. I liked the many open options and endings. It isn't just a "you have died" page. The choices makes perfect sense and there is no real way to loose unless you get bitten too many times. I have actually not tried to get me killed in any other way, so how can I be sure.
Another game of difficulty to check out, is jurrasick park or whatever the spelling is. It's very difficult, and I haven't bothered to play with it since, unlike dmw, this WAS a "you have died" game.
I also remember playing another game, hold on, let me think. Well I'll go check and let you know, but that one is worth a try.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.