2012-11-06 14:20:56

I'm happy to announce that three days ago, we released version 6 of the interactive fiction roguelike Kerkerkruip. It should be an exciting new release, since it contains the biggest changes since the original release, among them:

* Complete redesign of most powers that the player can gain. The powers are now much more useful and much more interesting.
* Perception, willpower and dexterity have been replaced by body, mind and spirit. This is more than just a change in flavour: these new faculties have distinct effects on combat and on all powers, and you'll be able to raise them as you kill monsters.
* A new enemy: the hound.
* A new system for tracking the difficulty. You will now lose only one level of difficulty upon death, rather than being reset to Normal immediately. The difficulty levels have also been renamed.
* And many, many other changes and bug fixes.

You can get the game, as well as more information, from the official website.

The game has had some discussion on this site -- it also has a database entry (which I apparently can't link to because the forum software only allows me to post one link?) -- so a further introduction is probably unnecessary. Also, I am planning to open a topic on this forum somewhere in the next few weeks to discuss with you if there are any tweaks or additions we could make to Kerkerkruip that would make it more easily playable using a screen reader. None of the designers uses such software, so I'm sure there are elements of the UI that could be improved for visually impaired users! But as I said, I'll make a dedicated thread about that when I have the time to respond to it fully.

2012-11-06 18:56:00

Hi victor.

welcome to the forum, and especially when you bring such good news. big_smile

I  can't wait to try the update myself, and it is certainly true we have had a fair amount of discussion of the game. as to the db entry, well people can find it from the dropdown atht at the front of site as per usual, and I'll update the  links if they're not working.

As regards screen reader access changes, well the game  itself is  generally completely fine. you can check this yoruself sinse both  winglulx and filfre have self voicing output with microsoft sapi (find it in the tools, speech menue in winglulx and I believe the tools menue of filfre).   If your using the windows default voice (microsoft sam on windows xp and microsoft  anna on windows 7), you will probably have speech that sounds like a cyberman on drugs, but it will at least show what text is output. Needless to say, anyone who uses sapi output will generally have better voices available, or will use their own screen reading software, either of which will sound better, but that should give an idea.

the only real access issue that occurs to me is with the help system, and that isn't so much a problem with  kerkerkruip as it is a problem with the way help in Winglulx  happens.

this is because the list of help topics uses a  greaterthan sign, ie, > to mark which option in the list is selected, and not all screen readers will read that sign, plus having to listen through to all! the options to see which one is selected or run through them line by line with a virtual screen  review curser can be a bit time consuming.

The ideal would be to change the menue system to a numeric one, eg 1 starters, 2 stats, 3  creddits etc, but I'd imagine programming this would be  impractical.

so, would it be possible to simply have a  text file with the help written in it? (not a  pdf for preference sinse generally pdfs need converting to text anyway to be read  efficiently by a screen reader).

other than that, the game is great, indeed in making an  if game in the   style of a roguelike, you've also massively  improved access, sinse access in roguelikes is not particularly good, which is another reason people have been so interested in the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-11-06 20:03:18 (edited by blindncool 2012-11-06 20:06:47)

Welcome to the forum Victor. Thanks for the news I'm going to download the update now! Oh, and Dark it'sFrotz that outputs to SAPI - and about Sam and Anna sounding like cybermen on drugs, you're right. That's why I have Cepstral Alison. The only thing that is 'bad about the cepstral voices is their constant pleads for me to "please register them!".

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-11-07 01:43:04

Actually blindncool,  winglulx will output to sapi as well, not surprising sinse both programs were I believe made by david kinda.

I can't recall precisely where the output settings is and I don't have winglulx on the laptop I'm using at the moment, but I'll check the setting when I either download one or get back to my desktop, (I think it was somewhere equally obvious like being in the options item of the tools menue).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-11-07 08:10:13

Ok, I downloaded and extracted Gargoyle and ran gargoyle.exe.  i got a standard file open dialog and chose the kerkerkruip file.  I got a window but couldn't access any text.  I'm using NVDA.  How do I proceed to play?

2012-11-07 08:12:24 (edited by curiousdannii 2012-11-07 08:16:34)

Hi guys, I'm one of the other Kerkerkruip developers. I also develop Parchment (iplayif.com.) I'd love to make Parchment more accessible, but that's a big project for the future.

Improving menus should be an easier task. We could add numbers, but I have another idea. Are you able to use hyperlinks? If you're not sure this file has some test links: http://www.eblong.com/zarf/glulx/windowtest.ulx Enter "link" at the prompt.

If links do work then we could make each menu option a link, which I presume would be even easier to use than giving numbers to each option. If this works then I'll try to get the new menu system adopted for all future Inform games.

2012-11-07 09:42:16

Hi dan.

I don't see why not,  though I'll do a propper  test when I get back to my desktop, that would be a very  workable system for  menues for most screen readers who could click with a virtual curser, though it wouldn't work with the default self voicing output which interpreters like winfrotz have.

As regards  gargoyle violinist, I suspect sinse it's a cross platform interpreter it   might have a none standard text output which a screen reader wouldn't interact with.

Just use   an accessible interpreter  like winglulx or filfre.

2012-11-07 15:26:42

Hi Victor and other Kerkerkruip developers,
Welcome to the forum. I'd just like to say I believe numeric menues would be the easiest, as I use virtual revision from NVDA which simply makes the window a text document thing which you then close, and continue to play the game using normal commands. Flat review in NVDA didn't really work properly with this, as it showed lines above and sometimes chopped off parts of text, but not too offten.

2012-11-07 15:41:36

hi victor and dannii, onestly i'm impressed with your work, i've played the game for the first time yesterday(i downloaded it directly to my ipad)
and used frotz to run it, it's working perfectly fine! i don't even have a problem with the > simbol in the help, voiceover
reads everything as it should, it's truely amazing! i love the random factor, skills that you can gain, etc.
it's very different from the other puzzle solving if games that i don't like. so far only this game and flexible survival grabbed my interest.
i've played two times in the easiest setting and died, but of course i'll play it for hours! smiles. hope you keep expanding
the contents of the game and adding always new monsters/locations/items to increase the replayability and random factor of it, or at least release
new roguelike games!! congratulations and thanks, hope you have a good time here in the forum!

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2012-11-07 18:44:33

Hi:

Hyperlinks do not work in the winglulxe interpreter.  However, when I ran that file via:
http://iplayif.com/?story=http://www.eb … owtest.ulx

I could click the hyperlinks, and everything worked just perfectly.  Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what improvements need to be made to parchment to make it more accessible.  It already feels more comfortable than Windows Glulxe to me, as it is. 

In order to give it a bit of a harder test, I went and played the latest version of Kerkerkruip with it, to see if I would have any problems.  I didn't.  Unlike in Windows Glulxe, Parchment doesn't leave little strange bits of extra text sitting around for NVDA to read and be confused by.  The only thing that could maybe be improved is Parchment could some how read out the new game text as it is displayed, so I wouldn't have to use the NVDA virtual cursor to read it.  Have you looked at something like
https://github.com/hiddentao/google-tts#readme
This might do the trick.  Or if you don't want to depend on Google and an internet connection then:
https://github.com/kripken/speak.js
should be helpful for you.  That is, amazingly enough, a TTS synth written *entirely* in JavaScript.  That kind of makes me afraid. 

For the curious, the following is my play log from when I was testing Kerkerkruip in Parchment. I used the NVDA virtual cursor to copy it to the clipboard, so this is exactly what parchment shows to NVDA while playing.  As far as I know, it didn't miss anything, and the formatting is much, much cleaner than Win Glulxe. Those who don't want extremely small spoilers might want to stop reading.

<blockquote>
When you claimed that you were tough enough to take on Malygris single-handedly, everyone knew you had been drinking much more than was good for you. And the prince is not one to let an opportunity pass. Before you could so much as protest, his court mage opened a portal and you were shoved through. Predictably, the portal immediately disappeared. You doubt they're going to open it up again -- but at least you can try to make good on your boast and kill Malygris, the Wizard of Kerkerkruip!
Kerkerkruip - Release 6
An IF roguelike by Victor Gijsbers
Release 6 / Serial number 121103 / Inform 7 build 6G60 (I6/v6.32 lib 6/12N)
Entrance Hall
The vast entrance hall is empty, silent, foreboding. Skull-sized rubies project a red light far too bright for the eyes of a human.
Exits lead north, south, east and west.
>n
Temple of Sul
The only feature breaking the monotony of the circular room made of polished white marble is a huge statue. Hewn from flawless mountain crystal, it portrays the goddess Sul.
You recognise a complicated stone contraption in a corner as a teleportation beacon. It seems to be inactive.
You can also see a scroll labelled MORT EILYSH here.
An exit leads south (to Entrance Hall).
>get scroll
Taken.
>look beacon
When turned on, this beacon will ensure that all teleportations in Kerkerkruip lead to this room.
>turn on beacon
With a confident magical gesture, you turn on the teleportation beacon. All teleportations in the dungeon will now end up here.
>pray
Sul is displeased with your spurious prayer!
>s
Entrance Hall
The vast entrance hall is empty, silent, foreboding. Skull-sized rubies project a red light far too bright for the eyes of a human.
Exits lead north (to Temple of Sul), south, east and west.
>s
Library
Hundreds of books line the walls of this magnificent library, a bigger collection than the already legendary one of the marquis of Savon. Malygris even has a scroll analyser installed.
Exits lead north (to Entrance Hall), south and up.
>put scroll in machine
(the scroll labelled MORT EILYSH in the scroll analyser)
It is a scroll of curse removal!
>s
Drawing Room
This otherwise unremarkable room has been decorated with a fascinating drawing.
Thin clouds of smoke fill the room.
Exits lead north (to Library), south, west and up.
>s
Phantasmagoria
This huge hall is filled with the radiant images of warriors long dead, fighting their bloody battles over and over again. You see flaming bolts, fired by huge ballistae, flying right over your head -- but the scene changes before you can focus on any details.
A vast slug covered in green ooze has positioned itself in this room.
You can also see Mouser, Fafhrd and the Blessed Grenade here.
Exits lead north (to Drawing Room) and west.
Act>look slug
It is of the dreaded race of mindslugs, abominations that use their telepathic powers to enslave others.
The mindslug is a level three living hostile creature.
Act>retreet
That noun did not make sense in this context.
Act>retreat
Deciding that discretion is the better part of valour, you bravely run away.
Drawing Room
This otherwise unremarkable room has been decorated with a fascinating drawing.
Thin clouds of smoke fill the room.
Exits lead north (to Library), south (to Phantasmagoria), west and up.

</blockquote>

2012-11-08 02:28:25 (edited by curiousdannii 2012-11-08 02:28:52)

Thanks for your comments everyone. Please do check if hyperlinks work in other interpreters, Dark has mentioned filfre, so that would be good to check.

Is NVDA popular? If it is then I'll install it myself and try testing some things myself too.

2012-11-08 03:22:33

Ah yes, NVDA is "very!" popular. If you wish to learn moe, and check it out, visit:
http://nvda-project.org/
, to learn more, and to download a copy!
Also, I made a central topic on here for NVDA discussion called "NV Talk," which also has links to other community web sites and more!
Please let us all know if ya have any NVDA nips along the way!

2012-11-08 09:50:41

Well maybe this is interpreter specific, indeed to an extent   interpreter is a preference thing. For instance I prefer winglulx, but I know filfre is said to work better with jaws, and obviously parchment works better with nvda.

2012-11-08 23:20:32

Is there a link for parchment?  I saw a link to the web site describing it, but never found how to get it.

2012-11-09 01:58:10

Violinist, it runs in your web browser. Almost like the Gnusto add-on in firefox.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-11-09 04:26:51

The IFDB gives links to Parchment for each game, so here for example is Kerkerkruip's: http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=f7zdhxmiraht53d1

Gnusto is actually part of Parchment! It was the original virtual machine, however I have since written my own VM and Gnusto is only used for z3 games (or if you specifically ask for it, but as it has bugs that would be silly.)

I would love to make Parchment the number one accessible interpreter, so if you do have any comments on critiques, no matter how harsh, I'll be happy to receive them.

2012-11-09 10:44:16

Hi.

I was just wondering, Is parchment a firefox only thing? I tried the  above kerkerkruip link, and kept getting a box popping up saying "a script is running that causes internet explorer to run slowly, stop running thi sscript?" even when I hit no, that kept appearing and I couldn't get off the first page.

I'm running ie8 (sinse 9 won't run with xp), and latest firefox just won't work on either of my machines for more than a minute without crashing (indeed it seems very unstable to me), so will parchment simply not work in ie8?

I'd find this a little odd sinse other if web sites such as intfiction.org that run games in the brouser run fine,though  I know it all depends upon underlying programming.

I seem to recall some ie settngs to do with reporting script errors, I'll see if I can disable these and try again.

if this is not workable, don't panic, sinse as I said  there are always accessible interpreters.

2012-11-09 13:48:41 (edited by queenslight 2012-11-09 13:49:55)

hmmm...
I'm lost with how parchment is suppose to work. I guess in the edit box, you are suppose to type where ya want to go. I wish this program had Aria in it, so that it would speak what was needed on the screen.
Then ya wouldn't need to glance up at the menu so much.
I'll try and play the game now using Partchment with Firefox and IE using Window-Eyes 8 beta 2, and NVDA, latest version, although I'm running a snapshot. Shall also try with Chromevox.
I was trying to move around the help screen. No luck there...
Ah, I'm using IE9, in the case of Explorer, Firefox 16.0, and Chromevox 1.2.3, with Chrome dev, which think is v25

2012-11-09 17:26:54

Dark, Parchment does work on IE8, but very slowly. If the latest version of Firefox dosen't work you could try Chrome, but I've read before that its screen reader support is worse than Firefox's. Most online games run the game on the server and just send updates to the browser, bur Parchment runs the entire interpreter in Javascript, so it taxes the browser more. But if you can get a modern browser working it should run at an acceptable speed.

Trenton, now that I know that there is a good free screen reader (NVDA) I will try to get ARIA working for Parchment. ARIA Live Regions seems to be exactly what we need. I don't have a lot of time now though, so I can't promise when it will be finished sorry.

2012-11-09 19:31:56

Trenton:

The way it works is:
1.  Activate the edit box and type a command, then press enter.
2.  Get out of the edit box, and review the results of your command.  They'll appear just above the edit box.
3.  For the help menu: use n to move to the next item, and p to go to the previous one.  You need not press enter after typing n or p.  To tell what menu item is selected, find the menu item with the > (greater than) symbol in front of it.  To select that menu item, go to the edit box, activate it, and press enter.
4.  In the case of Kerkerkruip, when it asks you to press space to start a new game, you just get into the edit box and press space; you don't need to press enter at this point, either.  You can tell it worked because, at least on my machine, it will freeze the entire machine (browser, screen reader, everything) for about 25 seconds or so. 

Note: when I say activate the edit box, I mean, in the case of NVDA, press insert plus space on it, to get into the mode where you can type. What is NVDA calling this today? Forms mode? Application mode? pass through mode?  MSAA? It seems screen readers collectively rename this mode every 6 months or so.

2012-11-09 19:52:42

Actually, its called "focus" mode. You can simply press space or enter to enter an edit box, or up/down to enter one, if ya have that option enabled.
Insert-Space keeps focus mode active, unless ya move to a different web page.
Shall try this out, and share my results.
Ah, good luck with the Aria! If it gets added, Awesome! If not, least there is a way to navagate around the program.

2012-11-10 02:35:25

Somewhat off topic here, but the distribution of enemies always being the same makes game play less different each time than it might be.  There is an optimal order to do things in which does not change.  If you couldn't count on the distribution, it might make for more replayability.

2012-11-10 03:59:20

I should make another topic to talk about improving Parchment - let's bring this one back to Kerkerkruip.

What do you mean counting on the distribution?

With weapons and powers it is hard to find an optimal order now. Certain powers are much more advantageous against certain enemies, allowing you to skip levels. I often jump straight to a level 2 enemy, and with the right power and weapon you could try to take on a level 4. And once you've won a few times extra enemies will be added to the list.

2012-11-10 17:48:30

themadviolinist: If there is an optimal order to do things, can you please post it?  I've played, like, 10 times, and not yet managed to win a single game.  The closest I got was when I was fighting the wizard, but I forgot about my mind score and sprouted too many tentacles.  If it wasn't for that, I think I finally might have won game number 10. *sigh!*

2012-11-11 04:30:14

Spoiler! Spoiler:  Spoiler:  If you don't want to read about the optimal order, skip to next message.

The optimal order is: level 2: level 1: level 4: level 3: level 2: level1: Malygris.  This gives you the best combination of health, stats and probably equipment for going up against the big guy.  The game reduces then to trying to fight critters in as close to that order as possible, given their distribution in the dungeon. 

I haven't advance beyond level 2 adept yet in the current version, but as I recall, the manual states that the creatures will always come in the the distribution 2 1's 2 2's a 3, a 4 and Malygris, plus assorted level 0 nuisance creatures.

It would be cool if, as your level progresses, there were more levels of creatures and Malygris got tougher and tougher.  This last may be true, but I haven't seen it yet.