2012-11-01 19:25:45

For those who do not want to deal with bloody gasy or other kinds of traps you may want to stop here. Matter of fackt, be stab pocked, gased to death, have a needle in you or other bad stuff, then you for shure don't want to play this game. OK. all the wornings out of the way, I hope, I have finish the conversion of arm survival. I haven't added sounds to it yet. This is because I don't really have any sounds that fit this game. Neither do I have any people doing dialog. The game is self voicing, using sapi, and you can get it over here. You will find that the text is Rufly the same as the basic version that you played on the brailleLite. I did put in the credit for that version too. So, dark won't have to get half as mad if someone demand for this to be takened down. Just in case, You might want to grab quickly if you want it. LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2012-11-02 01:02:31

Hi,
This brings back memories. Thank you.
Does this game still end early though, or have you managed to add more?
I had a version that only let you do around 4 levels or so

2012-11-02 01:49:14

the version I had took you pass the random zapping booth thing. If you don't remember the booth then this game will have a cupple more levels that you might not have played. This is vol 1. I don't have any of the ones that might have followed. So as for your question about it ending early, the answer is yes. Seeing that I was trying to do a direct conversion, I didn't add any more levels to it but the levels that was already in the version I converted. I'm planning on releasing the source some time in the future, but I can't say when. I want people to enjoy it before looking at my bad coding. For those who are looking for cheets, look at the .sav file. Change the right number at the right time and you will have a varry easy time at winning. On the other hand, change the wrong number at the wrong time, I will let you find out. LOL. By the way, I'm trying to figure out what my next conversion project should be. It will have to be something I have access to the source to. As for the memorys, why do you think I did this for? LOL. Did I mess up the UI to bad? LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2012-11-02 10:00:33

Hi.
Is this game played in a console window where you have to type all commands and such? Or how does the interface work.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-11-02 10:14:26

Interesting cw, I always wondered what those games were like but sinse I didn't have the note ttaker thingy I never got to try them.

I actually wonder if you could find the other games using  the wayback machine to look up the old bpc site.

As for the game itself,  well done on the convertion, though unfortunately I seemed to get to a point where the game got stuck, I  picked up a shotgun and started shooting a giant spider, but however many times I hit the fire button I just got "bang!" and the same description of me shooting with nothing else.

As regards the game itself, it's sort of interesting to see, but to be honest the text reads a  little too much as if it was! written by a 15 year old.

"you like go down this corridor and see like  giant spider which is giant and stuff. he says like "I'm gonna kill you" and like you gotta run or something, cos the spiders got a really massive glok 47 gun with armor  piercing rounds  that could totally blow your headoff unless you like have a weapon which you don't so whatya gonna do?"

Okay, I'm probably exaggerating just a  little, but you see my point big_smile.

I wonder if jason   shaped up his writing in the other games he made?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-11-02 12:32:45

I think you hit the fire button around six times before it kills the thing you shooting. As for rather or not you play in a console window, the answer is no. I'm not a hundred percent shure you can do a console window in BGT. LOL as for the writing, I'm quite shure that it was done by a fifteen year old. LOL. All I did was convert it and put a windows like UI on top. As For how you play it, you just navagate your way threw the dialog box and hit enter on the correct button. HTH.

DropBox Referral

2012-11-02 12:42:20

Interesting. I'll take a look at it. How have you converted the game like, how did you copied all that text?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-11-02 13:01:11 (edited by cw 2012-11-02 16:34:40)

I copied the text by selecting one piece of text at a time and copying it by using copy and paste. I knew if I was to stay true to the basic version of the game, all the text and most if not all of the game must be varry close if not exzackly the same. The main difference is the UI. The part that gave me the most diffeculty was the fights. The basic source had alot of goto statements in those sections. I also looked at the if statement in the basic source and convert each if to a block of code. I'm not to shure how to answer that question slj. I did use the audio forem to display the text and the correct buttens in stead of having you push R to go right, s to go strate, l to go left, and etc.
Edit
I just made this game use JAWS, WindowEyes, System Access, and NVDA. enjoy. The Update is up.

DropBox Referral

2012-11-02 21:01:31

As I said, well done on the convertion, it sounds as if you put a lot of work into the game.

Perhaps however you could either convert the others, or better still use a similar model to create something with a bit better writing and mechanics.

while I  can see the work you've put into this, currently I'm not sure if it falls within the db guidelines for quality, sinse it's the same thing everytime you play with no  random factors or replay, just choosing different options  each time until you get it right.

I know this is the fault of the simplicity of the original game not your convertion, but still it does present a miner problem.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-11-02 22:07:57 (edited by cw 2012-11-03 02:44:07)

My main gole was to see if I could do a conversion like this and see it through to the end. LOL. I have to agree with on replayability dark. The only random parts are the four fights and the booth thing. Other then that... Getting my hands on the others might enable for me to pull another feet like this again. LOL. I just uploaded another version to correct one or two mistakes I made. This should be the last correction that I need to make to it. so this should be the last upload and I am really thinking about releasing the source so that others can see how I did this so that we can have more text adventures.
edit
the BGT script can be found over here. Sorry about not commenting the whole thing. Hope that someone finds this code useful.

DropBox Referral

2012-11-03 05:23:37

Tomorrow I will take this apart and make it .wav ready. then someone needs to record the .wavs.

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2012-11-03 13:54:26

LOL. I was thinking about making it wav ready, but I didn't have any good sounds, so didn't see the point. I was going to have each function load its own set of sounds so that the correct sounds would play when ever the game load from the saved file. Think of each function as of a page of its own and you might succeed. On the other hand, do it in the best way you see fit. After all, I releste the source...

DropBox Referral

2012-11-04 13:55:24

OK... there's a bug.
On level 2, the straight button (screen 219), the move ahead button, doesn't do anything when clicked.  I downloaded the source to try to fix it (your code is messy, I'm afraid) but when i try to run it, exactly as you gave it to us, it gets a stack trace error at runtime. here's the stack text.  This is without any modifications yet.

Call stack size: 6

File: C:\Program Files (x86)\BGT\include\form.bgt
Line: 2327 (1)
Function: void control::next_line()

Line: 2130 (1)
Function: void control::check()

Line: 1574 (1)
Function: void audio_form::check(int)

Line: 498 (2)
Function: void audio_form::monitor()

File: C:\bgt\surviv1 - Copy.bgt
Line: 368 (1)
Function: void start_screen()

File: C:\bgt\surviv1 - Copy.bgt
Line: 46 (1)
Function: void main()

Feel free to add me.

2012-11-04 14:31:18

Dang me, I left out a return statement. Without the return statement, it could not leave screen198(). Also, are you shure the problem isn't with your form.bgt file? I have A working copy of this file up over here. I had a problem with the audio form and Someone posted a copy up on the BGT form. Maybe this will fix most of the problem for you? I'm using main to access the different functions. I never said that my code wasn't a mess. LOL.

DropBox Referral

2012-11-04 23:27:04

Yes, it's possible. i just replaced it and it fixed it. Can you please put up the 198 update? I was going to make it wav ready, but it'll take ages for me to do, and I have to do the script. I'll never do that in a week, no less a day.

Feel free to add me.

2012-11-05 00:09:21 (edited by cw 2012-11-05 14:11:34)

LOL. I did that the same time I put up the form file. As for it taking you a week, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes longer. As for the mess, I guess I was making each function almost like a page in a book. The source and the exe is up.
edit
I just put in a few more of those return statements I left out. So, some more buttons should work right. The update is up.

DropBox Referral