2006-09-14 15:00:12

Hey all,
It may happen that we begin to develop an rpg game, and i would like to hear your ideas, what it should look like.
I know, at first, a nice menu, choosing a class, like mage, then a subclass, like chaosmage and such, that is totally right. Also, with the warrior, archery, etc. But when the actual game starts, personaly i don't have any ideas how it should look like. If it is a side-scroller, then you can fight only with one enemy at a time, and it would be nice, since then you can use different keys with a sword (hit right, left, block, etc.), same as archery (reload bow, shoot, etc.), and with mages as well (different key combination could be a spell). So, it sounds nice. But i don't think so an rpg can be played in a side scroller-style, and it would be enjoyable.
For the other type , which i thought about, is when you have a board, and you can go in every direction, just like in maze craze. But then, it would be a pain to hear the enemies from behind, unless we're use 3d.
Another thing, is the complete 3d, but it would be extremely hard to do, different maps, cities, locations, etc.
Another concept is the last crusade-style, where you just press a directional key to move to, but again, the enjoyment wouldn't be so great, and i can not imagine how a fight should look like with that style.
So, again, if you have any ideas about how it should be, please post a short (or long, smile) message here.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-09-14 16:45:28 (edited by dark empathy 2006-09-14 16:52:21)

Beware! long post ahoy!

Well firstly, I'm very pleased with this idea, as probably everyone will know, I've been wanting an Audio Rpg for ages!

As reguards how the game works, Imho a mixture of styles would be best for the game. Having only one style ---- say 2d side scrolling action, would limit the game to being basically a glorified version of Superliam, where as doing a last crusade style would limit the game in other ways as you noticed yourself.

One alternative might be to have the game working through menues. So, how about starting with a menue, asking if you want to go to the village of waterdeep or the town of castlerock (please excuse unoriginal names). You select to go to the town, and then must go through a short side scrolling section in order to get there in which you fight monsters.

Once in the town you could have various locations such as shops, or Npc's to talk to on the menue.

You could also do dungeons on this system by having each dungeon room separated by a short side scrolling combat. So you select "Explore the eastern corridore" and have to fight monsters before you get to the room at the end of the corridor. Imho this would probably be the simplest to create.

Another map alternative could be a grid system as seen in the Vip gameszone games, with a constant movement throughout the squares and a non-scrolling combat occurring whenever you found a monster. So, you move north from square 1.1 to 1.2 and encounter a monster, a voice tells you the type of monster and instantly you need to block their attacks with your sword from left to right, as well as using arrows or spells with other keys.

this would make the game far more free and give a lot more exploration, but imho would be more difficult to make, especially sinse dungeons would have to work in a similar fashion to mortalmaze.

Of course, using either map system with a turn based combat is possible, but it would probably take a lot of work to make the combat system sufficiently complex to make it interesting (the one in Last crusade certainly wasn't! complex or interesting enough).

Obviously which ever mode you adopt there needs to be a good ongoing plot, Npc's to talk to, weapons, armour and other items to acquire and use, and some system of leveling up and ganing experience.

I'm just wondering, why you feel it necessary to develope charactor classes? There are many different systems you might considder, iether having one charactor who acquires skills and magics throughout the game (the way Link does in the Zelda series), or having a party composed of two or three charactors, one of whome is a warrior, another a mage etc.

of course, it will all depend upon the plot and setting of the game, I'm just presenting a couple of alternatives.

Btw Robjoy, I'd be very pleased to help in any audio Rpg developement in any way I could, so please feel free to contact me.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-09-14 20:52:38

Well... that will be definitely another long post, i know, but i think it will worth it.
To tell you the truth, Dark, you were one of my hopes, grins.
I know you love rpgs, so do i, and we must do something about that.
Your second alternative sounds really interesting, i didn't think about that, yet. It seems it would be easy to code (at least the movement, and walls...), so i think if we start, we would use the vipgamezone-style, smiles.
Actually, i think it would be more realistic than just a menu, and a short sidescroller.
The map can have different coordinates, like all squares are five steps long, and wide.
About the classes, i found out a little story which is like:
Someone opened the gate to the underworld, and only two men can close it again, those who have a sword of (truth, order, sun, faith, mighty gods, whatever), and a staff of something... These two objects have magical abilities of course, but at first you can't use them, it is like you're a baby and try to step forward, the first try will always fail.
So, as you gain exp, you can have different abilities of the sword, like more hitroll/damroll, ac, etc.
For the staff, well, mages are brutaly good, so i guess it should give you mana regen, and a chaos spell.
So, returning back to the story, two cities sent two fighters to be able to close the gate, and you can choose which's role you want to control...
This story is pretty unbalanced, i know, but that is what gave me a starting point.
About the map again, the only problem is that if we do an rpg, it will always have an end, while on muds that is not always true.
To avoid that, i thought we should use different dificulties, and maybe to end the story, you should complete every difficulty level (kind of like tournament's winning sequence, smile)
Well, thats all for now, just ideas, which if you have, don't hesitate to post (not only Dark empathy, smile).

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-09-14 22:53:30

Well Robjoy, I certainly like the idea of ganing abilities with the sword or staff as you progress through the game (maybe you could find it by accident, and then have this huge task thrust upon you).

Anyway, reguarding maps, of course the Vipgameszone style would be more realistic, and also allow you to hide many extra items and other things in crannies of the map. I'm not certain whether this would be possible from a programming perspective, but how about having a single very large world map to walk around, with the various entrences to other places on it (say to enter a village you have to go to square 4.5, and for the dungeon square 22.50).

When you arrive on an entrance square for a place ---- say a village, you could then get a different (and maybe smaller), map, say 10x10 sells for a small village, or 20x20 for a large city.

I'm not sure I'm quite as keen about the difficulties idea. Rather, to give the game some lastability, I suggest hiding many items throughout the dungeons and other maps, maybe with some side quests as well, which could be difficult to accomplish (requiring lots of exploration), but which don't actually involve the plot of the main game.

Using multiple sizes of maps would also allow the game to have a nice progression, so at the start you get dungeons and areas to explore that are only 10x10 in size, but later they increase.

What does everyone else think?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-09-15 01:37:21

The idea of the two people needed to complete the end objective is nice. You could essentially split the game into two, with one section for the sword wielder and the other for the mage. Maybe you would need to complete both to win.

Puts me in mind of some mainstream games, like Starcraft, which had multiple acts. You played each race for one act, in a set order... but maybe instead in this you have the option of which to do, unless you want to make one harder than the other.

In any case it makes difficulty balance a lot easier, since you can tailor the segments to the character's abilities.

Just had another thought. Maybe somehow the two people could be fragments of one entity somehow, and you could have a third segment where you play the merged entity of both characters. This way your efforts on building one char won't be wasted.

In mainstream RPG games the ideal situation is semi-randomly generated areas, but I would imagine this is rather too hard to implement.

And don't be afraid to mix two control systems. I never played Last Crusade, but I think a cross between the mentioned grid system on small maps and a mud style system would work. You normaly move mud style, and when combat hits you swap to a map on a grid system. You'd need lots of smaller maps, but it would be easier on system resources than one huge map. The idea of nesting grid maps is nice too, just thought I'd throw this in as well.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-09-15 12:50:06

Umm that is definitely possible, we can say the sword and the staff forms together some kind of balance against evil, so the two characters who uses these forms a pair as well.
But, if we make a third alternative, when you can control both, then your character will be really brutal, like freezing the area before you, and just smashing the freezed monsters with your sword, hehe, just imagine it.
But i guess the most interesting, and awesome thing would be if you and a friend of yours could control both characters, on one computer, so it's actually like a team. That would be definitely difficult to code.
Well, i guess we'll decide that later, with the exping leveling, and such.
The problem is still the map, because i realized that we definitely need 3d sound if we want to make it, since you won't know if an enemy is behind you.
We can also make the map a monty-style one, so only one way before you, if you go forward, you won't be able to go left until you find a way which goes left. The disadvantage of that style, is that you won't be able to avoid the monsters if you met them, since you can't just go left until it disappears.
So, two options, run back, and choose another direction, or go forward, and maybe die, or defeat it. Also, it is not so realistic.

So, now i really don't know what to do, if we mix up map styles, it is not realistic again, since a mud-style map can't tell you the environment which surrounds you.
A grid-style can, you can hear a blacksmith to the left, and so on, but it again requires 3d, since if the blacksmith is behind you then you won't notice it.
Also, the game could be a menu driven one, like chillingham, but realism again would be awfull.
I think we need a map, which is realistic, and won't require a total 3d environment.
If thta is possible, then we can continue to plan, maybe with the exping system, or combat system, spells, woh, a lot more to do here, smiles.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-09-15 20:12:08 (edited by dark empathy 2006-09-15 20:24:04)

Freezing monsters and then shattering them? I've only one thing to say to that: "Subzero wins! Fatality!" 

I deffinately like the idea of three separate acts. Perhaps, one charactor could be male and one female, but closing the portal would almost certainly mean one of them dying so they don't end up taking the final step. then the third act could be playing as their son or daughter 15 years later, who has the talents of both his/her parents for the sword and staff, but because the evil gate has been open for 15 years the land's full of really nasty monsters and lots of things are distroyed.

Anyway, reguarding the monster encounter system, I was thinking something along the lines of how the battles occur in Galaxy Ranger or X hour when you encounter the enemy. So each monster is located on a particular square ---- or possibly everytime you walk over certain squares there's a random chance that a monster will attack, (this would obviously be preferable but it would depend upon programming restraints), but having monsters on specific squares would mean there's no problems with monsters attacking from behind.

Unfortunately, doing a grid system map would involve a bit of 3D sound, but if your movement was limited in the same way it is in Galaxy Ranger to the eight cumpus directions, I'm guessing that the 3D sound wouldn't be quite as much of a pain to code. Such a limited movement wouldn't really effect gameplay if all the other elements were present. Another element you could considder adding is the ability to scan ten squares in any direction and the computer tells you what's there as in X Hour. Monsters could appear on this scan, thus making it possible to detect them early and possibly avoid them by not stepping on their square. This way you could have lots of scannable objects without having to include sound files for them such as chests, pots, walls, and area specific items such as holes in the floor which might lead to hidden areas. Items on the scan could be spoken by a synthesisor (maybe even using sapi applications), which I'm guessing would reduce file size.

Also, it occurs to me that you could have charactors telling you the grid co-ordinates of places to go, the same way that in mainstream Rpg's locations are marked on a world map.

Because of my Pc's arguements with net framework I can't run monti, but from what you say Robjoy, I'm not certain whether the system would be a litle too restrictive. One of the things that is quite often used in Rpg's is having to go back to previous locations --- even in a dungeon setting, something like seeing a locked door when you first go into a dungeon, finding the key somewhere inside and having to retrace your steps to the door.

I don't know about multi-player support Robjoy, but I do suggest that the game engine be created in such a way that it could be reused to make other Rpg games ----, perhaps it could even come with a map editer and the chance to add your own objects and sound files.

I agree about the limitations and unrealistic nature of a menue system, but if it's neccessary to make a game like that I can think of several ways in which it could be made more interesting, such as extra locations, and lots of realistic sounds at the locations.

the spells and experience system, I already have several thoughts on how that might work, but sinse this post is about to undergo crytical mass and turn into a Blackhole I won't put them here.

2006-09-15 22:19:05

All sounding good. The project seems in good hands.

Maybe some small puzzles too, if it isn't too hard to implement. I could see things like chasms that the warrior type could use an arrow with rope attached to cross, or the mage type could use either levitation spell or some kind of magical bridge of some kind.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-09-15 22:38:43

Well.. Let me explain monty's maps. They are like a side scroller, with the exception that you can go also up and down. NOw, you can say, that then what is the difference between treasure hunt and monty's maps, well, appart from the doors, in monty you are restricted to only one direction. Imagine a maze, and a four-way road. If you go left, then it is not possible to go up and down. It is like walls surrounds you in the other two directions (up and down), so you can go only forward (in this case left), or backwards (right).
I realised again, that if this is not a problem, then it is possible to do several maps, even a map editor, and no 3d sound is needed. Also, with that, it would be possible to make a stereo combat, just you won't have to move, just block, atack, block, move your shield to block arrows, and throwing axes from far, and such
Since probably the game will have two characters, it is possible to make two different maps for the two different characters, so the little quests would be possible, allthough i have no idea yet, how to make this with the map editor.
That is a long way to go, and thank you very much guys for your help. If you have any ideas, please post them.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-09-15 23:38:36

Unfortunately Robjoy, sinse treasurehunt also requires net framework I'm unable to play it (grin), but I think i get the idea of how the maps in Monty work. I could see such a system being very useful in dungeons or forests where there are many choices of passageway, but I'm not sure how you'd do larger areas such as a desert or a plane, villages and shops might also be a litle tricky.

Robjoy, in Monty is there any way of telling your location or having a place location indicated to you? While exploring is fun, getting lost can sometimes be a pest, and presumably we'd want situations in the game where the charactor is told to go to such and such a place by an Npc.

Talking of Npc's that interactions with Npc's in this system could be a bit odd. In a grid system they Npc would talk to your charactor when your on the same square as him/her (possibly appearing on the scan so you can find them).
but in a Monty system, firstly the Npc would have to be iether moving or doing some noisey activity so that you could find them, and also they'd have to be programmed to speak when you got to within a certain distance which might be odd.

i must admit I'd had visions of an Rpg with slightly less of an action feel than a Monty system would create, where each combat is an individual batle with a monster (iether in action real time or turn based), rather than just having loads of monsters running around.
But provided that the combat system can be made complex enough in a side scrolling manner ---- a good deal more complex than Tarzan Jr for example), I could stil see the game being fun.

Btw, while a map editer would be fun, it's only a vague idea. First off, we should probably think about the game itself.