2006-09-13 13:22:32

Don't flame me for that, but if you write for example h e l l, it's sensured as bell. And funk, etc. Maybe funk, but why bell? I mean, h e l l is not swaring, I think. But, that's my meaning, that can have varrious reasons.

V

2006-09-14 02:20:21

Very much depends on context. What I'll refer to as "heck" can either be a mild impoliteness where I'm from, or a reference to that certain place opposite to the concept of heaven.

Also something can be what I'll refer to as "darned", meaning tainted with the influence of... or cursed by... heck and/or some other evil entity.

All about context and the perception of the reader. I'm not going to complain, it's the site owner's right and I really don't like the F-word appearing on a regular basis myself.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-09-14 02:36:01 (edited by dark empathy 2006-09-14 02:41:39)

I'd agree with you Cx2 reguarding the F word, Sht or other expletives, however in what you might call my professional life (well at least when discussing religious philosophy), talking about the hot place, and occasionally being as you put it, darned, is sometimes neccessary in serious discussions, which would obviously be rather precluded with these board restraints.

As you say, it's the site admins decision and sinse we're using their board we abide by their rules, but Imho restrictions on "heck" and "Darn" are a litle strict (though admittedly, this isn't exactly a serious problem in a forum about computer games).

Btw, i have occasionally used on this board the word "Bloody" which is (at least here in the Uk), a minor expletive in the same catagory as "heck" obviously there's a cultural thing here as well as a context thing, but Imho this is stil a litle inconsistant.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-09-14 20:39:44

Hi guys...the sensoring is not even done on purpose. It's standard with this brand of forum and I did not remove it after installation. I personally am not offended by h e l l or bell at all... smile

But if you all really miss the opportunity to be able to type the word h e l l I can try to take the word out of the blacklist.

2006-09-14 22:31:09

Ah! the problem is explained. As I said before, sinse the primary purpose of this forum is disdussion of audio games, I don't really see that lacking the ability to say hell will make too much difference. 

(unless of course, it's the subject for a game!).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-09-15 01:42:48

dark empathy wrote:

Ah! the problem is explained. As I said before, sinse the primary purpose of this forum is disdussion of audio games, I don't really see that lacking the ability to say hell will make too much difference. 

(unless of course, it's the subject for a game!).

lol, I quite agree. It's been known though wink I mean Quake comes pretty close. And with talk of RPG games it might happen.

I do remember before the move on the forums though there was the f-word appearing in a few heated discussions, and that I most certainly don't miss.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-09-18 07:15:54 (edited by dark empathy 2006-09-18 07:21:32)

Agreed. Also, the place the forum makes sinnonymous with large ringable objects has indeed appeared as the main theme of certain games.

I don't know about Quake, but the original Doom game did involve a plot concerning portals to afforsaid place. also, Pegasus, a platform game on the Amigar actually did involve journeying streight to Hell and giving old Harry a good ding round the ear with your magic sword --- grin.

Finally, I remember reading in a highly informative faq about the mario Brothers cast, that Yoshi originally appeared in a Japanese game called Termigant (or something like that). In said game, you had to go through puzles ornamented with various angels and demons to get to you know where, and instead of the Yoshi egg power ups that appeared in the mario games, the main charactor actually collected litle crucifixes!

Not only was this game never brought out outside Japan, but even the trophy and all historical info related to it that could be found in the gamecube game Smash Brothers Melee was completely removed for fear of offending people's religious sensabilities, which slightly amused me.

2006-09-18 07:41:51 (edited by cx2 2006-09-18 07:42:53)

If you check for a txt file it explains the Quake plot. Some thing code named Quake was apparently discovered, so you were supposed to be prepping a team to take him or it out. As it turned out, funnily enough, Quake hit your base first and wiped out all your men leaving one thing: revenge.

Back then plots were mostly excuses, I found it amusing to read them. Some did better though.

Wonder if the forum would censor the mention of hellfire missiles?

Edit:
Obviously not, lol. Still no audio games I know of that include them, they're a real life missile used on helicopters like the Apache for tank killing.

cx2
-----

2006-09-18 10:26:04

Hmmm, that Quake plot sounds remarkabley similar to the Plot to the original Doom, now I can see why so many people said Quake was a bltant doom rip off (though obviously with the added death matches and co op play and such).

Actually Cx2, if I remember rightly, the original desert strike game did include Hellfire missiles, which made sense sinse the game involved flying around in an apache chopper. I would assume that the various sequels to Desert strike also had them as well, but I'm not certain on that point.

I'm almost sorry the forum doesn't eddit hellfire, I rather like the idea of having bellfire missiles.

2006-09-18 17:06:26

rofl! bellfire missiles. quite funny.
also, a little off topic here, but, about doom 3. there is a mod of doom 3 called doom 3 cc but it's for (i think deaf people?) and it said that it showed the position of the sound sources. does this mean, that doom 3 is a little accessible? because it's in sterio? (zombies, footsteps behind the player etc) anyone know?

2006-09-19 05:32:55

I would imagine the level design would be quite complex.

Even in the original Quake maps there are many raised walkways and so on, and since then mainstream games included a lot of twisting corridors.

However if ID stay true to form they *may* release the Doom 3 source code, and this could open the door for a Doom 3 adaptation in the same manner as Audio Quake.

If I recall the original Doom plot was that a research facility was working on a type of portal, and accidentally opened up a connection to the hot place. Not quite the same as Quake, but the plots didn't really count for much. Quake was very different in play because it had the vertical axis, one of the earlier true 3D games. They took advantage straight away with various types of raised walkway all over the place, the ability to swim in water under areas you'd just walked over by using underwater tunnels, etc. If memory serves me there were a few instances of decorative beams up in the ceiling areas of some maps in the first episode that wouldn't have been possible before either. That was fun with the morning star mod, lol... think of a grapple and rope then you're about there.

cx2
-----

2006-09-19 09:03:53

Hell has been removed from the censoring list.
But: use at your own risk! smile

2006-09-19 10:06:31

aaaaah, and there go all my creative uses of analogy and references to ringing things! ;D.

To be serious for a second, a friend of mine does indeed own Doom 3 and I got a look at the game. Though certain elements appear accessible (you do get sterrio effects and all the plot is done through sound recordings), the main game didn't generally appear that way thus far, lots of complicated passages, attacks without any warning sound from monsters, that type of thing. Though if indeed source code is released, an Audio doom 3 would be possible.

Btw, my appologies Cx2 reguarding any mistakes i make about Fps games. Sinse I've never been able to play such games, I might make errors as to the mechanics. Also, I haven't yet explored the hole Audio quake business, though I probably ought to at some point.

2006-09-19 20:03:01

No need to apologise. I'm in a slightly unusual position having started to lose my sight around 16, so I have some experience of mainstream games. I can't comment on anything past about 2001/2ish though.

The original Unreal was one step ahead, it had full 3d sound. Sadly this didn't really count for much from a blindness viewpoint though.

Audio Quake feels like a slightly less refined Shades of Doom, but with slopes in the maps and multiplayer support. Be aware that the sound is currently only stereo not full 3d, and the controls are a lot lighter. Not really sure why they put the lightning gun on any of the special ADM (accessible deathmatch) maps, its claim to fame was that you could shoot through one target to hit up to about 8. The specially designed accessible maps include none of the water/slime/lava or raised walkways to fall into or from, but do include ramps. All doors are also automatic, the effect being similar to a "pressure plate" set up just either side of the door. And of course Audio Quake has the advantage of being free.

I would be very interested to see where the AGRIP project goes. They've stated they're looking for another game to adapt in the future, saying they would like suggestions but prefer another FPS. I'd personally like to see them go with something as up to date as possible, as far as the release of source code permits.

cx2
-----

2006-09-19 20:45:31

I rather liked the multiplayer death match idea. I'd have to say Shades is one of my favourite audio games thus far, mostly because of it's atmosphere, and the fact that (despite not being perhaps full 3D), is as close to an Fps as I've got to play.

Sympathy with reguards to the site loss Cx2.

2006-09-20 01:13:22

Full 3D in a audio FPS isn't always a good thing. Ramps can get confusing. On the other hand if it was made so you could use lifts to get between floors that would be easier, but not good for multiplayer.

And I personally have come to think of my sight loss, or at least the timing, as an advantage. I've had the benefit of knowing how sighted people do things, and having studied programming I think this is useful in explaining to sighted people how I now use things and in coming up with ideas for accessibility that either don't affect or complement sighted users' methods.

cx2
-----

2006-09-20 01:19:28

Right. You know, I think a good game to adapt, would be something like either Red Faction or Counter strike. It would be good to have those games adapted as well. Or if that's not possible, they could possibly ask Sony to permit them to redo rise to honor, though that might not be a good idea as that game was released to the ps2 so porting would be a hell of a pain.

Discord: clemchowder633

2006-09-20 02:03:28

Hmmm, I can see the advantages in game understanding.

Myself, I would love to see addaptations of some of the final Fantasy games, but I know it'll be a long time before that happens, if it ever does.

stil, we can hope that the audio game maker will begin some progress in this direction.

2006-09-20 09:17:56

Porting from PS2 to PC just for us is certainly not practical, and besides the console specific games are a way they have of enticing people to buy the console. They might see a port as a challenge in the same way as they have with emulators.

There have been several games though that have been quite close to accessible, if they just had 3d sound and some speech output. It's irritating when they're so close. For example the game Starfleet Command 3 involved 2d steering, which could easily be done with a tank commander or lone wolf style set up. A lot of the functions were available by keyboard already as well, it just needed the sound feedback.

cx2
-----

2006-09-20 16:04:07

I think some Ff games have had something of a Pc relese, particularly now they're going into the realms of online multi-player games (a friend of mine plays Final Fantasy Xi on his Pc).

My big annoyence with many of the Rpg type games is as you say, the simplicity required to make them accessible, a Shades style interface and sapi support for menues would be all that's required in the majority of cases, especially as nowadays almost all the in game speech is actually voice acting rather than text boxes.

I agree a lot of game companies might at this point be very hostile to the idea of Pc ports specifically for accessibility, but that just leads us back to the hole question of notifying the gaming industry about the need for accessible games.

2006-09-20 23:09:09 (edited by cx2 2006-09-20 23:10:10)

Well in theory there isn't much reason why they couldn't make adapted versions of console games. Even without things like SAPI and other synthesiser systems, I mean look at Shades and Tank Commander again as prime examples.

And I don't know how consoles work with peripherals, but if all else failed they could always develop either a software synthesiser to integrate into the games or a hardware synth. Maybe even an adapter to use the existing serial hardware synths. Wouldn't be cheap though. Still making a console software synth to integrate with the games would not be too hard, especially if they toned down the graphics to make room in performance terms. They could even go as far as making the graphics more basic, but with a Terraformers style high contrast mode for people with useful vision.

cx2
-----