2012-04-14 16:52:25 (edited by fastfinge 2012-04-14 17:02:50)

For the Harry Potter fans, pottermore, the official web game created by JKR herself, is now open for everyone to sign up.  Just go to:
http://www.pottermore.com
You need to click the first link under the words "are you magical?"  At least with NVDA, that link is an unlabelled graphic of some sort.  But once you click that, the rest of the sign up process is accessible in NVDA and firefox. There is a CAPTCHA you will need to complete, but there is a link under the CAPTCHA text box to get an audio version. 

Currently, the website is so swamped with traffic, that I haven't yet gotten my confirmation email.  So I can't check how accessible the actual website content will turn out to be.  But based on the sign up, I am at least hopeful that some of it will be available to us. 

I suspect the pottermore website will send the confirmation emails on a first come, first served basis. So if you want in, go to:
http://www.pottermore.com
right now and at least finish the sign up process, in hopes you'll get in some time soon! 

My pottermore username is KnightCastle16658. I don't know if the site has a friends or groups feature or whatever, but if it does, feel free to message/friend/look me up when and if you get in.  Yeah, that's a strange username, but in order to keep things child friendly, the website gives you a choice of usernames, and you have to pick one. You aren't allowed to just type in any username you want. 

The only other tip I can give is that apparently the website is refusing accounts from those under 13.  So...make sure...you are 13 when it asks for your date of birth. 

Also, for those of you interested, the e-books and audio books of Harry Potter offered by
http://shop.pottermore.com
are confirmed accessible as well.  You will need q reader, or some other reading program that supports epub files for the e-books. I think even the booksense and victor support epub now though, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to find one.  I know iBooks on the iPhone does.

{{{Edit}}}
According to Mikaela Scuderi at GoodReads, the thing about having to be at least 13 is wrong.  More discussion about this is taking place on goodreads at:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/865 … o-everyone
{{{End Edit}}}

2012-04-14 17:14:22

Hi.
this is great news!
although when i signed up and clicked the ready button for felosafus stone it comes up with a servey thing. hmmm. not exactly what i wanted lol.
oh well should be fun.
my user name is  StrikeSword2067.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-04-14 18:13:08

ahoy there
thanks bunches for letting us know! trys not to have a panic attack.... or whatever its called,when one is too excited,gets a heart attack,and explodes into gory bits all over....coughs I get a bit ahead of myself.
now,I did tryed to sign up,but after putting in my birthday and continueing to the second step,where I select my country and pressing continue again, it redirects me to the first step again. I even tryed it with a few countrys,but the same results. if anyone could help me with this,I shall be your sla,pff nevermind.... haha, just kidding around. anyways,thanks to anyone who gives suggestions on this.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-04-14 19:23:48

Since JKRowling.com had an accessibility enabled version, I would be surprised if Pottermore wasn't similarly designed.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-04-14 19:28:01

Hi.
about the signing up. sorry i can't help really. although maybe its something to do with using i e insted of firefox. again i don't no sorry. it worked fine for me.

2012-04-14 19:36:24

hello there brad , you need not be sorry on account of not beeing able to help,although now I'll go and start up the firefox, put it in the 4th gear and press my foot on the accselarator... hope I don't crash.:d
grryfindore.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-04-14 19:43:05

Hi.
hmm i herd a sample of book one read buy steven fry. it does sound better than what i have wich is the tape and you can here the hising in the background. waht i was wondering is if they got steven fry to read the book again or some how converted it all into audio?
what do you guys think?

2012-04-14 19:48:36

he originally read the books when they were written anyway.
might give this a look, not sure.

2012-04-15 03:24:32 (edited by ahmad 2012-04-15 03:26:26)

heya all.
wellp i signed up and um. lol this is my username.
GoldWolfsbane1237

o well, i'am golden! smile lol

ahmad.

music is the life.

2012-04-15 04:15:18

Okay, my account is finally ready.  So, a few more accessibility tips:

1.  TURN OFF FLASH!  This is seriously important.  If you disable flash in your browser, the website will present you with some extra links that are shown to others as part of the inaccessible flash content.  If you leave flash on, you won't see these links, and thus might not be able to unlock some things. 

2.   At least with Firefox and NVDA, I could not start exploring the first chapter from the gateway screen.  But if you click profile, you can then click the chapter 1 link from your profile, and it will work. 

3.  Be sure to read the screen carefully after you click some links. A dialog opens telling you that you've found or unlocked something new, but NVDA doesn't always realize the page has changed.  If you click a link and nothing seems to happen, try minimizing the Firefox window and coming back to it.  Then NVDA should pick up the changes. 

The pottermore website itself does have a section about screen readers under help, and they also advise those of us using screen readers to turn off JavaScript.  I haven't had to do that yet, and I haven't noticed any problem other than the changing pages, so I don't think I'm going to bother; turning JavaScript off is rather a lot of work. 

When I had flash on, each page of the chapters seemed to have background noise. This sound is missing with the flash off, but that doesn't seem to be a big deal.  Just to satisfy my curiosity, can someone with at least somewhat working eyes perhaps take a look and let us know what that flash is doing?

2012-04-15 10:37:01 (edited by queenslight 2012-04-15 10:38:40)

At least with Firefox, there is a quick and nice extension, to switch java script on and off, like a toggle.
Its called "JS Switch," and you can get it from:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … src=search
After installation, go to the extension's option, and check the box to have it show up in the tools menu.
So now, if you want Javascript, press alt-t>j, to switch it on and off. The item will have a cjeckmark, to let you know when Javascript is active.
Also, if using WebVisum with FF, you can turn on and off and on flash easily too.
Enjoy!

By the way, I'm "thornmist6752" on there.
I suppose its quite "mystic-like."

2012-04-15 10:51:34 (edited by queenslight 2012-04-15 11:14:12)

To follow up from last post, at least with NVDA, using screen layout on, works better.

For people using Vinux/or another  accessible distro, its best to use the "Orca" cursor, instead of the "gecko" one.
And to also add, for people using Vinux at least, its a "way" nice experience!
NVDA, especialy with flash and javascript turned of works good, although the feel with exploring using orca under Linux, just hits the spot like a cup of Rice Milk.

2012-04-15 16:17:58

Thanks for the tip about that useful extension!  I've sent requests to everyone on the forum who has given out a username thus far, so please do feel free to accept. 

Unfortunately, it seems that potions brewing will not be accessible to us.  That does require flash.  However, everything up through getting your wand and getting sorted has worked fine.

2012-04-15 18:30:31

oh god...
i love you... i love you... i love youuuUuUu!!!!!
for letting me know about this thing
i'm verry excited. more than verry!
*flails around hitting/smashing things*

i'm a superFan of harry potter

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2012-04-15 18:57:53

Hi,
How can you turn off flash? I didn't even know it was possible. As long as it's easily switched back on for youtube reasons it's fine.
Also, what do you mean by using NVDA with screen layout on?

2012-04-15 19:34:08

Web Visum

http://webvisum.com

2012-04-15 20:16:38

Hi.
2 questions.
1. how do you get firefox to stop asking you if you want to remember the pasword on this site?
its anoying.
2. what is the point of pottermore i don't get it. i managed to getto the first paragraf of book one chapter one and then there was something like privit drive and a grafic saying harry was delivered but i clicked it and nothing seemed to happpen. oh the page loaded but there was no difference apart from the text had gone.
thanks.
P.S.
interested in a little hp (harry potter) fan fiction, like to read harry potter fan fic? why not go to.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/potterfanfiction/
and check out the harry potter fan fiction mailing list. if you join, you will get a news letter, once a month, or, if it is not monthly then (nooo i have just ruwined my great riting buy not noing a word) er... it will be like a month and a half. so join today and get great harry potter fan fiction, made for the blind from the blind.or should that be a blind person well yeah but i couldn't fit that in.
hope you guys enjoy.
PPS. can't join up? then please email this lovely lady named katherine and she will help you.
here is her email
[email protected]

2012-04-15 21:16:56

Tools>Options>Security section.
Find the check box that says "remember passwords," press space to uncheck it.
Click Ok.
Exploring the page, is the best advice I can give ya there, and remember what the links do.
You can press the "apostrophe" key in Firefox, for quickly jumping to a specific link, the wait for a moment or two for NVDA to reach the link, and place its cursor there, for you to press "enter" on it.
Or, press NVDA+f7>alt-f, to filter out whatever phrase or word you are looking for on the page. Press shift-tab to see filtered results. Tab back or press alt-f again and press "backspace," to see the complete list of links.
You also can do the same with headings, alt-h, and landmarks, alt-d.

2012-04-16 05:21:10

excited!
overly so!
gonna sign up right away!

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2012-04-16 07:10:11

hello,
my username is HallowWave21209.
hope to see yall there soon!

This is not a signature.

2012-04-16 08:00:20 (edited by hadi.gsf 2012-04-16 08:05:25)

uh,
the flash one is for later ons when they add sound effects and such.

also, the site seem to be inaccessible, mostly?

because for e.g i cannot see the shopping list items because it's a picture.
or, at the end of the chapters there should be a story or something which we cannot read?

aside of reviewing characters and places and read comments, is there really anything else to do?

edit: i have found out that people can use their mouse and cursor and explore the places in a visualized window,
i have tryed to for example find the wand shop, but the only tip that i got was to click on the aero... which didn't work
sad

2012-04-16 09:34:28

As stated earlier, make sure you turn off flash before "exploring."
By the way guys, you'll definitely need to take breaks a lot, starting with chapter 4. Also, backing track toprevious places, and viewing your trunk, is a "must!"
There's no other Harry Potter experience like it, I can tell ya that much!
I don't know what Phil from PCS thinks about this world, but he may wish to take a look at it himself sometime.

2012-04-16 10:10:11 (edited by hadi.gsf 2012-04-16 16:49:45)

oo!

i think i'm getting used at this.
i got my wand! it's...
Rowan, Dragon heartstring, Thirteen inches, Slightly Yielding.
that was verry fun.

@Trenton Goldshark
what's the use of those items in the trunk?
the site's style is abit confusing. it's between a game, or a tool to explore and dive deeper into the stories.

well confusing you know

edit: i think the blind community, needs to develop a script for the flash or something?
i have turned off my flash, but the pottermore.com team says that they are going to add voices, and sounds for spells and interactions, and that probably requires flash.

another edit: dueling requires flash too, so... um
sad

2012-04-16 17:25:44

Agreed, most of the game like experiences require flash.  Fortunately for me, I was only interested in pottermore so I could read the new exclusive writing from Rowling herself, and I don't care that deeply about potions and duels.  Plus, sorting and getting a wand was interesting.  Interesting, but not as interesting as the information about the original 40, as well as the detailed character backgrounds, especially on the lives of two characters in particular.  Those of you who have already read them probably know what I'm talking about, and I won't spoil it for the rest of you.

2012-04-16 22:56:51

I was one of the lucky ones to get an early registration several months ago. Honestly, I was interested in the game aspect, and since that wasn't accessible, I find the whole thing disappointing. Also, you can't see half of the things that you pick up, because a lot of them are graphics.