2006-07-19 20:38:06

I just  wonderered. I reccomend all who's interested in fighting games to  register.

V

2006-07-20 14:03:36

Way ahead of you on that one, I am all ready registered and have contributed several reviews and one Faq under the name Dark-empathy.

I tend to dash off game reviews when I've got nothing better to do. If anyone's interested, pleased check them out, the games I've reviewed include Fatal Fury on the Mega Drive (genesis), Golden axe, original Nes Metroid, Mega man & bass for the Gameboy advanced, and several Snes games such as Super ghouls -n- ghosts.

Other than contributing stuff though, I'm afraid I haven't noticed any real bennifit to registering, sinse the Gamefaqs message boards aren't exactly the most friendly of places, and there's no need to register if you want to look at Faqs.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-07-20 14:16:57

Maybee. I tried to submit a review for SVC Chaos for PS2  two times, but it don't work. I don't understand this, because it states that my review wil be submited.

V

2006-07-20 17:54:19

I too am registered there. I've submitted close to 200 reviews and 12 FAQs under the name Walker Boh Ohmsford. I agree with Dark about the message boards. Avoid them if you can, especially if you're like me and don't feel any need to hide the fact that you're blind. You'll get quite a lot of flack from a lot of those people who, oddly enough, probably won't get into any trouble for it. It's rather like that cantina in the original Star Wars, a lot of unsavory characters. Still the site has been of help to me.
  I'm not sure why reviews don't get posted. I myself have submitted a review for Circus Atari several times without it being posted, which is odd because as I said above I've submitted and posted almost 200 reviews with no trouble, even when the game already had more than twenty reviews up for it.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-07-20 19:42:35

wow! that's quite a number of submissions brian. Sometimes i've had reviews rejected for spelling and grammer, simply because the Gamefaqs filters don't respond very well to British spellings or non-American Slang, and sometimes it just rejects reviews out of hand, I had that happen with my most recent review for Astro Boy omega factor on the Gba.

As reguards the submission form though Shin_goenitz, when you submit a review for gamefaqs it will say something along the lines of "your review has been successfully submitted and will be reviewed for posting"

Just check the "Your submission status" section on your contributor pageand it'll tell you whether your review (or faq), has been rejected, posted successfully, or is waiting in the kew to have it's content reviewed.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-07-20 20:40:25

I think it said that. Odd.

V

2006-07-21 04:19:10

I wouldn't say the submission process is odd, it's actually perfectly logical, it's just the criteria whereby some reviews and faqs get rejected or submitted that's a litle weerd.

2006-07-21 05:17:38

Yeah, I recently looked at the boards and noticed a whole lot more bashing lately (most of it between ps3 and xbox360 fanboys).  I didn't think they reviewed reviews; there have ben some pretty non-detailed ones up there which don't really say anything more than "this game rox0rs go buy it loleries"

James

2006-07-21 05:45:54

Unless I've got a very specific question about a game that I can't get answered elswhere, I keep out of the gamefaqs forums as much as possible, for just that reason Conspira Z. As far as the reviews thing goes, I believe the content check has become a good deal more strict for the past three years, but there are stil many reviews up there which were posted before then. Also, as I said, the content check is by no means perfect, I've seen loads of reviews that say

"Dis game r0ks and is very addicting" (I hate! that word), and yet I've stil had reviews rejected out of hand for no readily apparent reason.

2006-07-21 17:19:53 (edited by Shin_Goenitz 2006-07-21 17:23:06)

Ok. I just checked my contribution status, and my review was rejected because of spelling errors.

V

2006-07-21 22:37:22

Sorry to double post, but Brian,  was there someone who  talked shitt about you because  you're blind?  I've got some questions,  but not shitt.

V

2006-07-22 03:49:58

I've been registered there since 2001.  Alot of the reviews I've looked at are pretty good.  I only look at a few boards now, mostly just special interest boards.  I haven't added them all to my favorites list yet though.  I kind of think it's funny when all the fanboys argue back and forth and say stuff like "Xbox is better than PS2 and gamecube is kiddy!"

Now for a dumb question.  How do you do reviews?  Is there certain criteria that has to be met, or certain things you have to talk about?  Do you just write it like when you post here, or do you have to do it in Word or something like that?  LOL sorry for the zillion questions.  I've been wanting to do some reviews of a few games for awhile, but never knew how to do it.

Brian

2006-07-22 05:27:26

Reguarding reviews, yes you can just type them in as you would type posts, but that's not such a good plan, sinse if your review gets rejected for whatever reason, you no longer have a copy and have no chance of re-submitting. what i find it best to do is write the review in word, run a spell chek over it, then press ctrl A, to select all the text, coppy it to the window clipboard with Ctrl C, then paste it into the appropriate box on the review form (ctrl X), that usually works, asside from Gamefaqs strange filter system of course.

Btw, make certain you put lots of double line breaks in it, otherwise you'll get it rejected for paragraphing.

2006-07-23 07:56:31

Ok so where's this Your Submissions thing? It doesn't seem to be on my recognition page, unless I just wasn't logged in...

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-07-23 09:50:11

The link is "Your submission status" and it's on your contributer page along with "Submit a review" "submit a file" etc. You can also check your ratings and hits from this page as well for the stuff you've already submitted.

2006-09-06 02:42:49

cool, my first review  got posted.  It's for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 on Xbox.  I've seen some pretty creative tag  lines for reviews, and some pretty bad ones.  I think mine's kinda weird, but I couldn't think of anything really creative when I did the review.

Now what's with the table on the page after you click on contribute from the main page?  It had alot of data in it, that made it look like I've submitted a bunch of stuff that's pending, when in fact my review is the only thing I've done.  One of them was something like "pending top 10s, 14."

And, people rate your reviews?  Wow...that'll be interesting to see how many people shoot flames my way, given some of the people who post on the boards.

Brian

2006-09-06 06:14:53 (edited by dark empathy 2006-09-06 08:39:44)

Good for you, I'm glad you escaped the evil of the Gamefaqs filter system. I've just submitted another review myself, for Ice climbers on the Gba, a game in the classic Nes series, we'll see if Gamefaqs like it or not.

I believe the pending stuff is a list of how many items are in the kew to be reviewed, to give you an idea of how long it'll take Gamefaqs to look over your submission

As reguards the rating system, it was a rather good idea, but only one of my reviews ever actually got rated, though I did try and rate every review that I read as fairly as possible.

Unfortunately, the ratings system appears to have vanished, and when I asked about this on the review contributtors board, the system apparently vanished last time the site updated and hasn't been brought back, which Imho is a shame.

Btw, I tend to find the contributors boards much less flamerous, or more moderated than most Gamefaqs boards.

2006-09-06 15:35:49

I think that  with the flame/troll thing is from board to board. I myself have don't experienced so much flaming and trolling.  abit, though lol!

V

2006-09-06 18:38:35

oh yes, I got quite a lot of flack a few years back when I posted about being blind. Somebody even threatened to mark me up for trolling. It's funny, but I've noticed that the Mods on Gamefaqs will moderate someone for nothing at all most of the time, while the one who actually does something gets off scot free.
  Last time I checked my thread on the Soundvoyager board had just my message. Oh well, given the way people are on most of those boards I'm kinda glad.

2006-09-06 20:40:35

Well not surprisingly Gamefaqs rejected my review, firstly for grammar spelling, which is very weerd considdering I did spell check the thing, and secondly because they claime my creative writing style is a gimmic.

honestly! I try to make a review mildly interesting, and actually stick out from the 30000000 other reviews on the site and they clame it's a gimmic. I suppose I could make my review more boring and resubmit, though god knows how I'm supposed to get past a spelling gramar filter, if word's spell check isn't good enough for them.

2006-09-07 06:34:41

They claim your writing style is a gimmic?  That doesn't make sense, unless they think your reviews are hard to understand or something.  That NES Metroid review was a piece of work though, I found it very interesting.  It was sort of a college level review.  I loved it.  Although, I haven't played any of the games you've reviewed.  Heck, I got my first introduction to Megaman games tonight, when I had a friend down the hall over to my dorm room and he showed me Megaman 5 and 6 via a NES emulator I have.

Brian

2006-09-07 12:07:36 (edited by dark empathy 2006-09-07 12:09:42)

thanks Brian, I'm glad you like the Metroid review. I really did feel in that one that I needed to justify the fact that I dislike a game which A: so many people love and B: starts off one of my own favourite series ever (well before they went into 3D anyway).

I think I know which bit of the review they're objecting to (though it's something several other reviews have done), so I'll look at touching it up.

As reguards Mega man, out of the six Nes games, I'd have to say that MM2 and Mm4 are my personal favourites. Five is quite fun, but Imho Six is probably the worst of the original MM series.

My favourite MM games have to be X1-X6 (then it went into 3D), which has an interesting plot as well as great gameplay, music and bosses. There also to my knolidge about the only 2D platform shooters on the Ps1.

for more about Mega man see here:

http://megaman.retrofaction.com/

They're going through a bit of a site rework at the moment, they used to have scripts, manuals and very good game guides for all the MM games from all the series. Luckily I've got them all saved on my hard drive though.

2006-09-08 00:03:56

Hello

But it didn't get submitted which really sucked. I love the vintage consoles...

I registered under the name hippy 123, and tried to submit a road rash review for the genisus.

Something something something insert canine related comment here