2012-02-19 07:04:33

Hello all.
I guess the subject says it all. I was just wondering if anybody knew how to create a self-extracting executible file, similar to a .zip file, but you can direct it to a specified directory on one's PC. I remember that there is some kind of self-extracting utility Wizzard that will help you accomplish this, but I don't remember how to launch it. I do, however, remember that you could launch it straight from the run command, but I don't remember what its called. I think that the utility comes packaged with any windows machine. Anyway, if anybody knows what I'm talking about, please feel free to assist me with this little question.
Thanks and have a great day!

2012-02-19 10:15:03

Hi Keigoku,
Yes, I think this can be done with windows without having any zippers and unzippers installed on the machine.
If you click"Add to archive" in the context menu of a file and then select "Self-extracting archive" under "archive type", it already should be done.
Please note:
I'm using a german system so the menu items and controls maybe labeled somehow other than I labeled then. Sorry about that.

Check me out on soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/gamefighter

2012-02-19 12:14:03

Hi,
As far as I know windows is not able to create self extracting archives.
You could try 7-zip, it has an add to archive option where you can create a sfx archive as it was mentioned before.
Other commercial products which produce similar results could be winRar or winZip. If you are using Total Commander, it is able to create one too.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2012-02-19 18:35:28

OK. Thank you guys.
I actually found what I was looking for. The utility is called IExpress.
If you enter this into your Windows Run Command, a self-extracting executible creator wizzard is launched, and you can package your own files with custom prompts and licenses.

2012-02-20 08:58:45

Ah! You beat me to it!
Well, nonetheless folks, there you have it.
A free, hassle free, executable package creator!
It's going to be fun using this in the near future...
I'm making me first game in inform so this will be fun. I plan to include several files in it so yeah.
BTW, I've decided to delay the launch of audiovisions until further notice.
I've been in and out of the hospital so there ya go.
See ya later folks!

2012-02-20 10:08:48

Hi.

Well, I tried iexpress, but I'm confused. I was able to create the data file, but when it made my package, it said something about windows\system\something.cab. What's going on? How do i get my executable file that others can run?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2012-02-20 10:19:46

Hey there,
Give me a sec and I'll try it out after like 3 million years of not using it...
Lol. I had almost forgotten about it.

2012-02-20 10:26:47

Sorry for double posting but I have something to report.
Alright. When you get the dialog that asks you to save the package, the first one, remember the path and  filename.
This is where it will be found, and maybe another file with it as well, that has all the info that you put in the wizard.
If you need help, let me know.
I just created a file with it btw, that's how I know.