2012-02-10 00:21:54

So during my research on haptics and tactile feedback, I once came across a study which claimed that they could create some impressive tactile illusions with what sounds like a pretty simple device:
- something for the user's finger to sit in (like a thimble),
- and a computer-controlled rod (I think the artical called it an arm) that can move across it.
The results were apparently capable of simulating different types of surfaces, and even the sensation of being pricked.
When I looked into it further, I came across a discussion in which someone said that it wasn't as new as the study made it out to be, but generally it sounded interesting.
I've never managed to whip up something to test it with, but I'd imagine that an important part of the illusion would be that the moving part isn't under your control, so that your brain doesn't compensate for it in the wrong way. I can't think of any robotic arms in my reach at the moment.

So, just wondering if anyone else has heard of this / has experience with it / knows anything else about it (for instance, if it's the least bit useful for anything), stuff like that.

Or if a super awesome tactile display suddenly appeared in the wild last week, by all means turn the topic to that. tongue

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-10 00:39:34

I believe I know what you're talking about.  This is a reverse to the method of 3D object scanning that uses a multi axis arm which is traced along the object's surface to generate the 3D model.  I've seen this technology used to train veterinarians where they can simulate the innards and save thousands of students from spending their days armpit deep in a bovine paddy maker.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2012-02-10 01:02:49 (edited by CAE_Jones 2012-02-10 01:34:43)

That was much quicker than I was expecting a response. smile

I found an article that... goes into some depth:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct= … yUtj61SiYg
(It's a PDF, so getting the url without going through google was a bit too taxing for my system.)

Now trying to learn more about the SensAble Phantom.

[edit] ... If this is what it looks like, then... What?
".... SensAble PHANTOM Omni Premium 1.0, $ 20450. "
Is... it... really that complicated to build? Or did Google play a trick on me?
[/edit]

[edit2] Ah, this is much less terrifying:
Novint Falcon
... Still kinda expensive, but considerably more reasonable than $20,000. And unlike Jaws, it's cheaper than a lot of computers.
... The work area is only 4in^3 (102mm^3), but eh. And it's already set up to work with Skyrim? !

Well, I guess, if I get my hands on this any time soon (considering my priorities at the moment, seems unlikely), I'll be trying to use it to kill zombies.
Actually, that's close to the size of my trackpad, only 3d, and I kill zombies with that just fine, so yeah, not too bad.
[/edit2]

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-10 02:10:50

Like most hardware, it honestly doesn't need to be that expensive except the companies are trying to make money from a smaller group of potential customers.  This Delta arm design that you found, called the Novint Falcon, is actually the same approach I've planned to use in one of my probably overly enthusiastic hardware projects.  I believe the design has a lot of potential and I've read enough examples to believe that the methods are proven.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software