2012-02-08 02:12:46

Well, if you're a regular forumite, you're used to seing topics from brad or sid512 that involve spirituality in one way or another. Although I've never read any of them, I'm just curious. Plus it's not outlawed on the forum, so I decided to just ask. If you have a belief system or religion of some kind, post what it is, along with a discription,  here. I respect all of your beliefs and I will not judge you for any of them, and I will not judge you for not wanting to post either. I understand spirituality can be a sinsative and touchy subject. So, post if you want to. Don't if you don't.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-02-08 03:34:24

I believe that chicken wings are good with some fries on the side, and if the gods bless you with it, a Pepsi or Dr. Pepper are nice touches to add to that.  smile

There are plenty of belief systems to choose from, and some make more sense than others, but if one were to take them all out, chaos would ensue and everyone would wander around trying to figure out what is what and how things really work and are.  Obviously, this is not necessarily true, but it makes sense to me.  Even with many great institutions that put forth a number of ideas, morals, concepts and what have you, people still wonder about many things and question many things that they will never have answers to rather than simply accepting them, perhaps because it is human nature to be curious, I don't know.  to combat all of the evils in human nature, someone grabbed a bunch of guidelines and threw them together.  "Hey, peoples!  I have it from the highest in the land that this and that are a sin, so don't do it because you're going to rot for eternity!"

I'm sure that in the beginning, it was not common sense that stealing from your neighbor and that lying to your parents were bad things.  Everyone's logic is different, so what you see as bad other people might see as good, vice versa.  That being the case, someone probably eventually realized that order was required to some extent.

All that aside, there are things in this world that will never truly be explained.  The world itself is quite a masterpiece that I seriously doubt was the result of an explosion.  It's too perfect; we, humankind, screwed it up.  Was it an act of divinity?  I don't think I'm meant to know, so I live happily not knowing.  I leave myself open to any other beliefs though, as I wouldn't want to miss the truth out of ignorance.  Besides, there's flaws in mine.  smile

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2012-02-08 04:11:37

Thank you nocturnus. Like you, I am an open-minded person. I do not judge others as it is not my place to judge. I do agree with you about some things. The big bang, string theory or whatever is science's version of the real story. Many of us don't really know the answers of many questions that present themselves. And science nor nature or many things will give the answers to the questions we need answering. Many times, people will ask me "How did you become blind?", or "If you had a chance to get your sight back, would you?". But I, nor can any human figure the answers to many questions. Not like those above, but ones like "What happens when you die?", or "Where will this earth be in the future?". Those answers may not be answered to most people. Me myself I do not wish to share my beliefs simply that I choose not to. Although, I do agree somewhat with you nocturnus.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-02-08 17:25:38

There is so much that one could talk about on this subject. I'm to lazy to type out what i think about this world and what i believe about the afterlife. I could probably right a book, and that's not an ixageration. In short, i think whatever you believe about the world and your own life, will happen because you believe it will. For example, there are people who believe they got the short end of the stick on life, life is horrible, they will die alone, poor, and without friends. I think that people like this will in fact die just as they say they will alone, friendless, and poor, simply because they have that mindset and have probably had it for years. On the other side of the coin, with me for example, i think i will die peacefully while the rest of the world goes to hell. I will die in my close circle of friends but around me, there will be much suffering from people i have never met. In fact, this is how my intire life has played out so far. I find it very interesting that every dream i have had in my life has come true in one way or another. I have met a lot of great people, i have had a lot of fun in my life, i don't live by a routeen, i don't have a job to contribute to society, and i'm perfectly happy with that. People on the outside of my circle of friends and family would call me lazy simply because they can't understand that i like the simple life. I don't like how america thinks that we all need to get the best job possible and make the most ammount of money that we can. I don't care enough about what this country thinks of me to comply. I walk my own path, and have my own choices to make. Sorry for the rant, but that is the basics.

2012-02-08 17:45:29

Hi.
i think from my topics you can see what i believe in.
arkmister i agree 100 persent.
people want me to get a job and go to college. i tryed college dropwed out and am trying to go back to another college but if i don't then i don't, if i do then i'll do a i.t. i.t.c. corse for a year and have fun. if i get a job then i do if not then i'm not going to try to hard. because it isn't really wearth it in the end, i have enough oney to pay my nan and grandad andenough for me to keap on the side, i think the expression is somethign like that.
ahaha rant over.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-02-08 17:52:44

Yes brad. I have enough money to be comfortable and have a little fun every now and then. And to clarify my post abuv, its not that i want people to suffer, it just seems that i hear about a lot of people who are sick, depressed, wanting to commit suicide or are very negativ people with bad energy. I'm a very loving man, and if you take the time to get to know me, i will be your best friend and offer advice and be there for you. It seems like a lot of people live like robots, day in and day out doing the same thing over and over. I think this sets people to look back in a number of years and say, where has my life gone? What have i been doing? I say, live mindfuly and be aware of your thoughts and surroundings and you will be just fine.

2012-02-08 18:52:46

I think there's a verse in the bible that says something like "If he doesn't work, then don't let him eat" or something to that effect.
That said, "work" and "job" and "career" and "wealth" do not necessarily go hand in hand. Just doing upkeep on your livingspace and fighting the urge to spread suffering could qualify as work enough to be worth food in some cases.
The way working, wealth, and success are defined nowadays is... umm... messed up, to say the least.

That said, most of us are here because we play electronic games, which aren't quite food. smile

With any luck, in about four months I'll be qualified to teach French. I have absolutely no desire to teach French. If I had the willpower to work on my games and such every hour of the day, I might be able to avoid poverty on that... but now we're talking miracles. smile
I should take my lap harp and go busking. sad

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-08 19:43:27

I guess by the bible's logic, i would be dead then lol. When in fact, i eat very well every day.

2012-02-08 20:03:44 (edited by brad 2012-02-12 11:58:14)

hi.
i agree again. wow there is a lot we agree on. hmm this is funny because others don't seam to agree with me a lot. i havent seen people or herd of people comitting suwaside although i no it happens but i do no that there are lodes out there who are in really bad shape. i think the cuntrys i am talking about are called third world cuntrys. wich is kind of funny considdering we all in the same world. oh sure there might be more out there like more worlds and more planits and i belive there is but come on third world? hmm oh well rant over lol. oh wait no it isn't. see i want to help as many people as i can but people  a friend and my dad  tell me get a job but i ttold my friend the same thing i rote down here. or if i haven't then i will tell him lol and see what he says. anyway enough from me.

2012-02-08 20:23:11

Well, the best way I think I could describe myself is an open minded agnostic. I grew up in a Christian household, but after I got out on my own, went to college, and interacted with people from different backgrounds I lost interest in the religious teachings of my childhood and have become more intellectual about science and religion.

For example, there are plenty of theories on how the universe was created. Growing up I was told the Christian creation story, but when I started attending school I was taught the Big Bang theory and Evolution. Other religions have their own creation stories too. Bottom line, I don't think anyone really knows how or why it happened, and all of the creation stories out there be it religious or scientific is just a best guess explanation of how it may have happened. The best thing I can do as an individual is to keep an open mind rather than embracing any specific theory.

Same could be said about death. I don't think anyone really knows for sure what happens when we die. Most religions tell us that we have a soul and when we die it goes to somewhere else. Science tends to lean towards the fact there is no afterlife, and if there is one we have no realistic way of knowing about it. Again, since I have no proof or evidence that concretely can prove either theory I choose to remain neutral and open minded on the subject. Your opinion could be just as valid as mine as far as I know.

Of course, this way of looking at these kinds of questions leave family and friends to believe I have no substance or beliefs. I actually do have thoughts on these subjects from a purely intellectual perspective, but because I believe the true answer is unknowable I'm not going to stand on a street corner handing out books telling everyone my theory is right. That I somehow have found the answer to all of life's mysteries that centuries of human thought and study have failed to discover. I simply do not think there is a point to arguing with people who have their minds made up that their theory is correct.

When it comes to morality I try to follow humanist moral principles. Weather Jesus was or was not a real person, was the son of God or not, is a separate issue from if some of the moral things he taught have a use in my life. I happen to believe that do to others as you have them do to you, don't kill, don't steel, love your neighbors, etc all are good principles that we should follow as human beings. I simply choose to follow them out of basic human decency rather than wondering if there is a god out there ready to roast me in hellfire for braking them. I think doing acts of good out of your heart, out of basic human decency, is a better motivation than a minister lecturing a church about how sinners will burn forever and ever in hellfire and brimstone. You can't scare people into doing the right thing for the right reasons.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-02-08 22:08:31

I am a witch who believes in the existence and application of magic and the presence of immanent deity in the world.  Now, if you don't unpack that statement quite carefully, you end up with a distorted impression of what I am saying.  One has to begin with some definitions.

Let us begin with the word magic, by which I do not mean the gosh-wow, special-effects-heavy phenomena of Harry Potter or Jim Butcher, (though I adore the latter's writing), but the simple ability to apply will and focus to change one's reality.  Whether one is simply making changes in one's point of view, or concretely changing the world actually doesn't really matter by my definition, especially as modern quantum physics makes the distinction much less strong than one might think.

Now, by deity, I mean something that many people here would recognize as akin to The Force, an energy field that surrounds us and penetrates us and binds the galaxy together.  By immanent, i mean that deity exists everywhere, within me and you and every person, creature, thing, place in existence, rather than being separate from our world as the transcendant spiritualities of the Abrahamic faiths.

Do I care if you share my world view?  No, not really, though if you have questions, check out http://www.wiggage.com/feri or http://www.lilithslantern.com for some idea of the tradition i follow.

2012-02-09 02:49:17

Thank you all. I am still interested, as there are more forumites to post. Brad, I haven't read any of your or sid512's topics. So if you could, could you please tell me?

2012-02-09 05:32:49

I find analyzing the bible can get very interesting, since it's 1) so big, 2) come through so many languages and translaters, 3) full of self-references that make for one heck of a maze, 4) almost never makes anything clear, and admits that it's intentional in a few places... basically, it's a huge puzzle that puts forward spiritual ideas. The side-effect of all of these things is that absolutely no one can agree on what it means (historically, a lot of concepts that we associate with christianity aren't found in written interpretations until at least the third or fourth centuries, and the new testament was written mostly in the first and second centuries.).
Modern popular christianity in the west has been filtered through Greco-Roman culture, Bizentine culture, germanic culture, celtic cultures, etc, etc, etc. The original books were mostly written in hebrew, Greek and some aramaic, but the church stuck mostly to Latin for quite a while. It turns out that translation is not an exact science, and by the time people started translating it into vernacular there were already several different sects, and the beliefs of each is reflected in how they translate certain things (the King James version talks about everlasting punishment, eternal life, and forever and evers; the Watchtower version (Jihova's Witnesses, isn't it?) makes it sound like eternal life Vs annihilation, etc).
So, what do I believe? Heck if I know. For now, the bible is the only religious text I'm putting that much research into. Pick a denomination that uses it as their religious text, though, and I'll probably find something they believe that I don't see in there. I really don't want to go around throwing that into people's faces, though.

I will, however, agree with tward on this: scaring people into being good with threats of eternal torment does not make good people, it just makes people that are behaved well when they think God is looking. Or for some people, when they think someone who will remind them about hell is looking.
One can easily obey every law, be it in a religious book or in local lawbooks, and still be a jerk.

At Arq: You did just get promoted to moderator. Sounds like a form of work to me. tongue.
Not the kind that our culture makes a big deal about, but that kind always seemed somehow broken anyway.
If all of these French courses weren't making me very sick of French, I might like how it sounds like it's done in France a bit better. Of course, we'll need to wait another twenty years or so to see if the system can sustain itself.
But, yeah. I think working something you don't care about because "need money > need job" is a flawed concept. For society to function, we do need a lot of people doing a lot of work, and a lot of them probably don't care for that work. But it's the functional part that's important, not the having a job part.
I don't think I have any abilities that would fill any particularly necessary part of how things work, but there are a few things I want to do (mostly the creative stuff), there are enough people I think who would appreciate that. If I get in a do-or-die financial situation, hopefully I've gotten enough people to appreciate my stuff by then that they'll show it in the form of a get out of death free card. If not, sucks to be me. tongue

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-09 16:52:16

Hi,

Well, one of the things I went to college for is to study history. Yes, most people think of me as the computer guy, the techno geek, but my one great love in life is studying human history. The only effective way to do that is to study people's beliefs, their culture, and the religious materials that founded those cultures. What happened to me in a sense is I began to read, study, and research beliefs in a scientific/historical way and I was greatly influenced by what I read.

For example, for Christians the entire goal of salvation is to lead a good life, and if you are saved to gain eternal life. However, the aim or goal of Buddhism is totally different. The Darma teaches that we are trapped in an endless cycle of death and rebirth. the goal of a Buddhist is therefore to get out of that endless cycle and to end eternal life as we generally understand it. So the philosophy of Buddhism answers all of the same questions in a new and unique way I doubt most Christians have ever considered before.

How this influenced me is that the first step to Buddhist enlightenment is to realize everything we have been taught from birth is wrong. We need to question our thoughts, beliefs, and look at our lives in a totally different way then we were brought up to believe. When you do that as I have found out its easy to see that many things our parents taught us to take on faith or just because they say so is either wrong or simply unprovable.

As CAE_Jones stated above the bible began as a oral history, passed down from generation to generation of priests before it was committed to writing, and then was translated into various languages with the end result being a confusing and probably inaccurate version of the text. Bible scholars such as St. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas , both who have been cannonized by the Catholic church, disagree strongly on various religious points of view. The question for modern day
Christians is which one was right and which one was wrong, or are they both wrong? We will probably never know because we see the same kind of debates in the protestant  churches today who can't decide weather the bible says this or that either.

So when I read the Darma and Buddha says "everything you know or think you know is wrong" he makes a very compelling argument against just accepting what we are told, because the beliefs we are taught by our parents as fact tend to be traditions passed on from generation to generation that may or may not make any sense when studied more closely. Its impossible to decide on a Christian theology because the interpretations are so varied a person can spend an entire lifetime trying to find out what is true or false.

For example, most Christian churches believe when we die we go directly to heaven or hell. Now, the Seventh Day Adventists beleave that we die, and we are dead both body and soul until the  resurrection of the dead. The problem here as a Christian a person would have to spend lots of time poring over biblical texts and commentary trying to figure out which point-of-view is right or wrong. Out of 490 Christian denominations in America how is it that our parents located the one that is correct in their interpretation of the bible, and if so does that mean the other 489 are false?

Essentially, for me the more I got into ancient history, found out where ancient beliefs came from, and studied how Christian thought changed from century to century I no longer saw it as the be all and end all to religion. I saw that other religions answered the same kinds of questions in a different way, and I decided to be more open minded about questions that really have no concrete answers. I don't really know what to believe for certain because there is a lot of opinions that disagree on a lot of points and are based on subjective interpretations of religious texts.

Interesting enough this subject of gathering wealth is something the Darma talks about as well. Buddha grew up wealthy, but chose to live in poverty. He repeatedly makes the point that greed leads to suffering. Desire for things leads to suffering. Living day to day with only what you need at the moment is the way to true happiness and contentment. In short, having more than you need will lead to suffering, and not having as much as you need will lead to suffering. Which makes sense when you think about it.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2012-02-09 17:28:02 (edited by CAE_Jones 2012-02-09 17:31:40)

I think the big issue is that religion gets into multiple topics; there's the philosophical, way-of-life aspect; there's the institutionalized "rules rules and more rules" stuff; there's the stories attached to it and their numerous interpretations; then there's all of the rituals and practices that people take part in.

At least, everything I've read related to Buddhism is very clear about the cycle of rebirth. I have no idea where the "death = going to heaven or hell" thing came from (the Lazarus parable, maybe? Or maybe adapted from Greek / Egyptian religions?).

I do find the general approach of western skeptics of Christianity toward Buddhism to be interesting, seeing as Buddhism has had its share of schisms, conflicting mythologies and interpretations. Buddhists seem to be generally less militaristic and kill-happy over it, though, which probably helps a lot.

Funnily enough, a lot of the lifestyle suggestions posed by the Buddha are very similar to those presented by Jesus. They differ on a few big points (Jesus always talking about how God is the only way to get out of death, while Buddha treats divinities as just another phase of the cycle of rebirth), but when it comes to how people should live, I think Jesus and Buddha would get along pretty well. So how in the world things wound up the way they did is pretty interesting.

There is one big issue with theistic religion, though, that being people who communicate with deities and try to convince people of it.
If God meant for everyone to believe a certain way right now, he'd either magic it into being, or would do something pretty hard to deny. So if nothing else, we can agree that if there is an all-powerful deity, it's either content with things as they are, or is way more patient than anything with a finite lifespan.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-09 17:35:42

At CAE well, being moderater isn't so much work as it is clicking around a web paige typing here and there. Sure, you have to think about what your doing and how it will effect the comunity but, i like doing it. That brings me to another point, if i ever get a paying job, i want it to be something i enjoy. I don't ever want to feel like i am grinding day in and day out paying the bills.

2012-02-09 20:32:24

... grinding is a very great way of describing it.
Contributing to society is great. Doing something dull and pointless that drains at least a third of your life just to avoid being devoured by the machine... not so much.
Heck, I wouldn't mind doing construction work if I could see well enough. It's one of the jobs popular thought of as low on the ladder, but it's something where your work actually has tangible results. Meanwhile we have those office jobs that require all the modern technology and such... but mostly involve spreadsheets and cost analysis and sales pipelines (I still don't know what that term means...) and earnings and stuff with no apparent tangible value (heck, one could get into a job like that without even knowing what the company actually does). If I could ever come to grips with Linux, I'd probably qualify for a job like that, but I think I'd much prefer wandering the streets with a harp. Or at least using my computer powers for tangible results (like games. lol ).
But, eh, utilities, housing and food probably cost more than what the government pays me each month. So it's either rely on others or find a way to deal with that. And for goodness's sake stay aaway from lones and credit whenever possible, because debt is a ravenous beast.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-09 23:41:12

Right on CAE! Debt is not very good. Me myself I would Love to develop games for the rest of my life, probably working for one of those mainstream companies first, and then producing games for my own company.

2012-02-10 05:51:03

CAE_Jones, that's precisely why when one studies history you have to study the religious views of the culture because it influences everything else that culture does. Politics, art, laws, education, sense of identity, you name it all usually has its roots in their religious beliefs.

For example, in 1776 when the Revolutionary War began with Great Britain 85% of the 13 colonies were devout Puritans. So its not too surprising that Christianity spread wildly through the United States over the 19th century, and we would print "In God We Trust" on our money, and say "One Nation Under God"   in the national Pledge of Allegiance. Those are simply public examples of our Christian origins, and were put their by the early founders of our country that grew up in a large Christian society.

Its probably most evident in the way public officials like the President is sworn into office. Every President from George Washington to Obama have been sworn in by placing his hand on a King James bible. Needless to say it would probably be seen as heretical if a President was of a different religion and wanted to be sworn in using a Koran or some other holy book. It is a tradition created by devout Christians who probably didn't seriously consider  the fact not everyone running for public office would share their religious beliefs.

Never-the-less my point being if someone down the road wants to understand American culture they would have to first consider the people who first settled this country and created our laws, education system,  and spread their values onto their children. Even today we can see evidence of this because in the 2000 elections the Republican party made sweeping victories on a God, gays, and guns campaign. They marketed their political agenda along a right wing Cristian theme and won. Even though Puritanism is long gone Americans in general still by and large stick to their core beliefs, and hold sway over American life in a number of ways.

I also agree Christian skeptics of Buddhism is interesting. I think a lot of it comes down to a lack of desire to really study anything but their own beliefs in anything other than a superficial way. Yes, there are aspects of Christianity and Buddhism that differ such as cosmology etc, but Jesus and Buddha would agree on plenty of other topics. Both apparently independently said that we should treat others as we would like to be treated, and that we should live simply. We should not spend our lives trying to get wealthy, and both chose to abandon any kind of personal wealth themselves. The moral principles they taught were similar, and in many ways aren't as far a part as some skeptics would have us believe.

However, as to the issue of deities and theistic religion there is always the counter argument to if God wanted us to believe he would do such and such. Usually, the Christian argument to that line of reasoning is that we have free will, and it is up to us to decide rather than God doing something to prove his existence in a direct and undeniable way. That is a clever way of dodging the question I think, because it is based on the opinion God doesn't need to prove anything to us.

Of course, John Calvin didn't believe in free will, but his answer to that question is no less compelling. Basically, what he said is that God saves who he wants and damns the rest. That is an over simplification, but he didn't believe God was trying to save everyone. Therefore he doesn't need to prove anything to someone who isn't going to be saved anyway if I follow his logic. Kind of hard to argue against that point when there are people who swear up and down they absolutely know God exists, and people like myself are skeptical because I don't find anything that proves or disproves their claims.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2012-02-10 10:28:27

Free will is a flawed concept. Most people would find it next to impossible to free will themselves to starve to death. Every choice someone makes is a reaction to something. Take that something away, and they wouldn't have made that choice. Add another something, different choice. Then there's the matter of one's upbringing and mental nature.
Argument in support of free will comes down to "Yeah, but I could have...". That neither fits with logic or science, and so far as my extremely limited studies would show, "free will" is not in the bible anywhere, either.
Also, I'm pretty sure if there truly were free will, I would have free willed myself to get a lot more done by now.

In what I've seen, free will comes down to two things:
Either getting God off the hook for evil things (though I think it's Isaiah where God flat-out states he creates both good and evil),
Or people who really don't like being told what to do giving themselves a sense of freedom.

I only caught a brief part of the book that the Golden Compass was based on on the radio before I saw the movie, but that was enough to get me really annoyed at how the movie ended.
At the end of the movie, when the protagonists are chilling with the witches while flying away, they have a disscussion about the magnitude of their situation, and get into some philosophy.
The book's version includes a line that I believe went like:
"We must act as though we have free will, but must acknowledge that we don't."
And the movie just turned it into this exchange:
"What is this about?"
"The fate of free will itself."

The book might have turned that line I quoted on its head somewhere I didn't get to, but the way it got adapted was pretty dang frustrating.

The big problem that people have with the lack of free will when religion gets involved is that they then conclude that God is going to punish or reward people based on things they had no say in. Then there are the people who hear that the end is pretty much pre-determined and decide that it doesn't matter what they do.
People forget this little detail: what they do is part of that end that's going to happen.
They also forget this detail (even Aristotle overlooked this one): We don't know the future. THe choices we make impact the future.

It's kind of a hindsight Vs Foresight thing.
Anything could happen tomorrow, but yesterday couldn't have turned out differently. Things are going to happen a certain way. That doesn't mean your choices and actions are pointless; they are part of that eventuality. Unless you've got some interesting ability that most of us don't, you don't know what that eventual outcome is going to be. The mere fact that we can look at history and say "this happened because of that" is an important thing.
If you have an answer to why you did something, then that action was caused. Without that cause, or with a different one, different action.

Now, to find the "why" in the 2AM driveway parties that apparently show up at my house every Friday morning that I only noticed this month.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-10 17:04:11

There is a danger in discussing religion from a rational perspective.  The idea of religion, of an invisible, intangible being or beings that influence/control/inhabit our world, or rather the idea of believing in this being/these beings is inherently irrational.  No matter how a person of faith seeks to use rational arguments to persuade or explain his world view, in the end there is always an unprovable premise, that God (the gods) exist.

I say this as a person of faith.  I cannot prove that what I have experienced is what I think it is.  There are experiences I've had that I am unable to communicate to anyone who is not me and was not there.  To acknowledge this is to abandon any sense of universal experience or rightness; what works for me is unique and would work less well for any other individual.

All this being said, I have come to the conclusion that reason, or rational thinking has been artificially elevated to a place of dominance that ill serves us.  Like any other tool, it has its place.  In certain settings, such as scientific inquiry it is uniquely fitted to the tasks it is used for.  But to seek to apply logic to situations where logic isn't the right tool does a disservice to everyone involved.  It is the flaw, the difference between talking about religion and living a religious life.  It's rather like sex, until you've had a lot of it, you really can't fathom what it's like, and it doesn't matter how many books you've read with that quaint "explicit descriptions of sex" tag appended to the annotation.  Same same with violence.  Same same with religion.  There are things that have to be personally experienced to be understood.

Now where does all this connect to the previous discussion?  On the matter of Free Will, I choose, (with no objective proof possible) to act as though I have free will, that is, that I am the agent of my own fate.  I also hold the paradoxical view that I am not the sole agent of my fate, that my fate is wound round that of everyone with whom I come in contact, and that their choices affect me in ways over which I have no control.  So, I believe in gods.  I do not serve gods, except insofar as one serves partners in a relationship of equals.  What they "do" affects me in the choices with which I am presented, but does not force me to choose.  Remember the Irish hunger strikers?  (If not, there's an excellent book called Biting at the Grave which tells their story.)  Bobby Sands indeed willed himself to starve to death in service of his cause.  I assume he made a cost calculation and decided that the continuance of his life was worth less by the inherently irrational criteria he weighed such things on than the impact of his death as protest.  Whether you or I might disagree with his judgment doesn't change the fact of his exercise of free will within the limits created by the choices of others, of the British government to perpetuate its rule over Northern Ireland, of his jailers to attempt to enforce the breaking of the wills of IRA prisoners, of his own compatriots, who viewed the hunger strike as an ancient and honorable form of protest.

It is important to note that the atheist who attempts to justify his unbelief by stating the absence of proof is also engaging in the end in non-rational thinking, since absence of evidence does not imply evidence of absence.  In saying this, I am not seeking to change his mind; his unbelief does not harm me, as my belief does not harm him, unless either of us seeks to change the external world to validate our beliefs.  As a member of a minority religion that is viewed with suspicion at best by many members of the Christian overculture, I live with the realities of these impositions every day.  It's something the atheist and I have in common.

A note on history, one should be careful ascribing a deep Christianity to the founders.  There was an excellent piece in. . . was it Salon or Mother Jones, reminding us that Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison and Paine would have been politically unelectable in today's world of mouthed faith.  Each of them made statements to counter the mythology that has been built around them concerning their religiosity.  The famous Washington, Valley Forge praying in the snow incident, never happened apparently.  This country is a Christian nation because of a consciously planned political effort by Christians from the Puritans to Pat Robertson to make it so, to make our country the "City on the Hill."  Many of the excesses of today's government come out of this fundamental subversion of the Founders' model, from Dominionist foreign policy to the simple inability to agree that contraception should be universally available and free as a public good, to the systematic denigration of women.  We preach tolerance but only in the abstract.  And anyway, there's a world of difference between tolerance and acceptance.  I often wonder what Jesus actually thought about the issue of many paths, one mountain, whether the insistence upon One True Way is his or an artifact of the early church seeking to establish its power in a formerly hostile world.

2012-02-10 17:16:33

Jesus is pretty clear about there being only one path that leads to salvation. What salvation means, though, seems to depend on who you ask.
Equating god/gods with invisible beings feels like an overgeneralization to me, but for most people that seems to be what the terms mean, and most people that try to argue otherwise tend to do so neck-deep in philosophical beating around the bush.

To clarify, I think when people say free will, they think something pretty absolute without thinking through just what that means.
Especially in the context of religion. An all powerful intity kind of implies that said all powerful intity is incapable, by definition, of being thwarted by non-omnipotent beings. Truly "free" will implies that non-omnipotent beings can, by their own volition, defy a being who controls whether or not they have the power to defy.
If we take god out of the picture, "free will" really just seems to imply "free from what others tell me to do", which is still pretty limited.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-12 12:48:46

Hi everyone.
i want to ask one thing before i get into my rant and i don't want to afend any christians.
i have been told that most churches say that sex is bad and that mastabation is also bad.
but what about having sex for plesure and mastabating for plessure. i mean i just don't se how it is bad?
anyway start of what i believe in.

this might take a bit of time so i would recomend getting some popcorn and a drink or 2.

also i am sorry for any bad spelling.

i want to say first off that my family arent' the reijus type. oh they believe in a afterlife but they don't go to church. but if you ask them they will say they are christian.
now here is what i believe.
first i believe that there is a god-gods meaning more than one.
but, now don't get angrey with me but i believe praying isn't as good as people think it is.
i mean do the gods nead are prers?
i don't think so. i think praying aspeshaly now is not pointless but it doesn't hold as much strenth as it used to.
sorry if that doesn't make sence.
i also believe in a thing called chi or chee. wich is basicly life energy wich we all have. we are able to feel this energy if we relax and queirt are mind.

also i believe i was an empaph. haha i know i didn't spell that rite. what that word means  is you can feel other peoples amotions like happyness sadness anger. etc.
i didn't know about this chi or che  an till i was 12 but when i found out about it. it amazed me. but there was a kind of problem.
i was talking to a friend who had told me about this energy now i didn't know what to believe at that time. oh i thought there was a god out there but i didn't think that was the end of the story. i thought there was more. so i spoke to this friend who told me about chi or chee. i remember fealing it for the first time. wow it was amazing. if you can, amajjon you are just sitting there relaxing not thinking of anything. just putting your hands out like you were about to pray. so your hands are a little apart. now when you slash i did this, nothing happened for a while. so i thought i had done something "rong" but after a while i was able to feel a salt of possing in the middle of my hands. i thought this was strange but amazing at the same time. so i desided to keap at it. so for about a month i would keap doing this relaxing praying position  and the energy or che would come quicker. now people might say but that's all in your head but i don't think it is.
anyway back to the story.
i had come home from school and thought i would do some relaxing again.
just to feel the chee or chi.
when i did relax, i kid you not, i could see a light, now i no what most of you are thinking. yeah rite sure you did and you walked into it riiite? well yeah i did lol and it was the best feeling ever. i was serrounded buy this che or chi energy but only for about a minute and then it was gone. but its afterwoods about nearly hmm nine in the afternoon that shocked me.
i was relaxing again. (wow i relax a lot don't i?) when i suddenly felt cold and scared for some reason now i don't know why that was but anyway. i was scared and i herd a voice in my head. now your going to probubly say "something along the lines of he's crazy. first energy that can wwarm you, now he is hering voices in his head. and i wouldn't blame you in the slitest. but i swair to yu i herd this voice and it said. "fear me" now after that inside, or outside of my head, i can't remember i asked "why?" as soon as i did zap! my energy was weaker than it had ever been and my body was shaking crazaly.
after that and now i find it hard to "feel" chi or chee. and i can no longer sence others amotion. oh sure i can feel the chi or che in my hands but that is all mostly.
now you might still say yeah but brad it is all in your mind. and you can think that if you want but i don't think it was and here is more prouf for me at least.
i and a friend was talking to a girl on skype and she said that a ghost was hounting her flat or apartment. now after hering this voice in my head i thought ok yeah ghosts exsist deffenetly. i'd read up on people who had seen and herd them. i had listened to e v p's of ghosts. yeah some of them might have been fake but i can't be sure of that.
anyway this guy had died in his flat or apartment from cancer aparently. so we spoke about this to the woman and suddenly a lighter. (she must have smoked) fell on the flore and kind of "flue" across the room and we herd it. yeah but that might be her frowing it or something. ok, ok maybe but there is no way she could have done what happened next.
i herd a voice. lol and no this time it wasn't in my head. it clearly said "get out! leave!" i told my friend and he said he herd the same thing. i asked him what the voice said and he said the same thing as i rote down. i asked her if she had herd it but hse said she did but i don't really believe she did.
she was a kind of shady chariture. if you know what i mean. a stupid woman who messes around with peoples lives. but unforchanutly for me at least when she said she herd it she sounded scared so if she did here it. then good! anyway back to what i believe.
i also believe that this che or chi is all around us. it is in everything.
i believe we have a soul. i belive we can astral project. i believe in loosid dreaming and anything to do with the spirit i will listen to and see what i think of it.
thanks for reading.
that is my looong post over and done with.
please reply with what you think.
i don't think you will do this but you can call me crazy if you want smile.

2012-02-12 15:06:03

Re: sex and masterbation.  The latter isn't mentioned in the Bible at all. As for the former, the Bible definitely stresses keeping it within marriage, and keeping it heterosexual. While both of those restrictions quite understandably bother a lot of people, that's.... pretty much it. There are a lot of specific laws in Leviticus regarding nudity and sexual conduct and exactly what punishments go with which misbehavior, but there are groups who will tell you that leviticus is obsolete since there is no longer a levitic priesthood. The more important one to consider is Jesus saying that one has committed adultury simply by looking at someone lustfully. Jesus later goes on to tell the people who have arrested an adulturess that the one among them who is without sin should start the punishment. If you ask me, Jesus deliberately put in the one thing that absolutely no one with normal hormones would be able to avoid, just to show people how weak they are. The bible plainly states that there is no one without sin, other than Jesus. Jesus also says somewhere that he deliberately speaks in parables so that most people won't understand, and some people will say that such applies to the entire Bible. In short, I really don't think Jesus expected anyone to live up to the standards he set without being extremely super awesome.

Re: Praying. This is a question I've seen come up a lot in the context of "If God is all powerful, what's the point of praying?". So in the context of deities who are beyond human but not all powerful, I have no idea how to respond. In the context of one omnipotent god, the answer is usually that praying is part of how God does things; he sets things up to grow, rather than snapping his fingers and making it happen. Whether or not that makes sense..... Eh.

re: qi. Historically speaking, qi is the system by which the Chinese tried to understand things that we eventually applied our version of physics and chemestry to. It's worth noting that the system developed apparently gets the job done well enough that it hasn't gone out of style. Chinese qi is more systemic and based in physically testable phenomena than Japanese ki, which is much more abstract and "force-like".
The thing is that I think westeners approach qi from the wrong angle (well, similar to how I think most of them approach god/gods from the wrong angle, but that's another topic). So many people associate qi with goofy hippy magic that a lot of people can't resist giggling when the word is brought up at all.
Qi is part of a different system of describing reality. If looking at things via qi enables people to get impressive results, then yay.
Eh, I wrote a paper on how qi fits into the modern world that got my Chinese teacher telling me I could give lectures on it. Which is short for "I could ramble about this for hours".
I know at least two people whose accounts I trust who have said they've been able to manipulate fire to some extent. I've been able to manipulate the tip of a leaf from a distance, and my dad has a trick where he can touch someone and take away pain or some degree of sickness (he managed to irritate a few people when he did this to buy my grandmother an extra four months of life... which, well, makes sense, since that four months apparently really, really sucked. I think he tried it on her right after she died (I'm not sure, but I was right beside him at the time), and a while later he told me he hadn't been able to do it since then. I don't know if he's gotten that back or not.).

Whew. I think I exploded. Umm, I'll post that qi paper, if anyone's interested: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/qi.rtf

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-12 15:25:57 (edited by brad 2012-02-12 15:36:18)

hi.yay someone believes me about ki.
but k_jones if you want to feel ki then put your hands a cupple inches apart and keap moving them back and forth and you wil avehcaly feel it as a maganet force.
/edit 1/
you say in your artical that you moved the leef buy corsing hot air to come in your hands wich inturn moves the leef. hmm but i still want to believe in chi or ki. nooo what do i do?
lol.
oh yeah i would like to read that story of yours. i really enjoy your riting.
thanks for clearing most of that up for me.
thanks again. and i will read your paper now.