2012-02-04 18:41:24

What, fellow audiogamers, is your top ten selections for metal, and why.
mine:
1. Cattle Decapitation: this is the heaviest grindcore band I've set ears upon, and their topics are awesome!
2. Napalm Death: yet another heavy grindcore band, pounding out the number two slot!
3. DragonForce: the speed metal that everybody wants, a mixture of opera and metal (if you can call it opera).
4. Winds of Plague: this band will pound out the number four slot with hard rockin' deathcore!
5. As I Lay Dying: pounding out number five easily with speed and metal, this band is brilliant!
6. All Shal Perish: not as heavy, but it will pound out a number six, by the use of speed and style.
7. Born of Osiris: Not too bad, but this band won't pound as hard as the rest.
8. Atryu: cool band, but they're not heavy enough to earn a higher position.
9. Metallica: the best band of the 80's, this band has stuck out around for a while.
10. Disturbed: not heavy, but they're really cool and awesome!
So let's hear it from you, what bands do you like to pound and headbang to?

2012-02-04 20:02:47

Wow!  What a topic!  smile

Well, here goes Nothing,
1.  Opeth: extreme in every sense and rather stylistic.
2.  Dimmu Borgir: combining classical and metal to produce a symphany of destruction, this band has impressive lyrical content and diverse direction.
3.  The Faceless: when you need to escape to the world of technicality and stimulating riffs with a touch of animal on the side, this band is certain to do the trick.
4.  Viraemia: brutality and speed are wrapped in one group of people ready to assault your ears.
5.  Beneath The Massacre: yet again, this band is for those who have short atention spans and want to hear something new every minute.
6.  spiRitual: haunting ambiences and coupled with heavy riffs make for the soundtrack of doom.
7. Dream Theater: truly this band has some of the most talented musicians on the planet and can hold their own in any metal contest.
8.  WINTERSUN: here's hoping to more releases from this band that has much potential.
9.  Arch Enemy: the makers of Carcass couldn't have done better when deciding to focus on this band.
10.  Carcass: the pioneers of the grindcore  genre can't go unmentioned.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2012-02-04 20:48:50

hi.
this is a bit off topic but isn't mettal that music that no one can understand?
even if you are awake buy drinking 100000 coffies?
i think i herd mettal onece anddidn't like it it was just a load of erm sound and words that didn't make sence.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-02-04 21:07:03

You're probably thinking about rap, where the speed of the words is tripple the talking rate of JFW on max setting. Metal is the best type of music, and if you like jazz and/or some classical rock and roll, your bound to fall into the metal trap by gradually getting heavier. At first, metal sucked. But now, metal is the best music the planet can offer, and there's nothing heavier than the metal genre called grindcore!

2012-02-05 03:17:50 (edited by Nocturnus 2012-02-05 03:24:35)

That music that no one can understand?  May the demons have mercy on your soul!  smile

IN all seriousness, I am bothered by the stereotypes people assign to a music based on one or two experiences,particularly in the metal genre which is wide in diversity and has so many subgenres ranging from symphonic to absolutely nonsensical and shock humor slam death.  This applies to any genre though.  It is unfair to say that all rap is crap simply because you find that mainstream has a watered down processed load of cheese that comes from the filthiest of cesspools, or that country is for the beer drinking hell raising redneck with an IQ of negative integers, or that classical is generally something that snobbish people listen to.

to be clear, metal is not all about the heavy, though many genres tend to focus on that aspect as this is where its roots are.  There are many bands that would rather focus on the melodic side of things, and some, like Van Canto, who take metal to a completely different level by utilizing nothing but clean vocals and drums rather than using distorted guitars and guttural gut renching vocals.

It is necessary to try and see metal as a way of life rather than just another genre though.  Those who focus on this music tend to develop different philosophies and prefer to embrace reality as it is rather than sugarcoating it or stretching it to something that it is not.  Death is a reality, perhaps the greatest reality of all as no one can escape it, and no one can deny it; it is here where we choose to begin, because for many, death is a concept that one would rather understand than simply accept as is without understanding.

Perhaps one of my favorite quotes of all time explains this best: "To live in true freedom is to release all inhibitions; the fears of mortality must be forgotten, no longer living for death, no longer dying to live."

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2012-02-05 05:35:59 (edited by brad 2012-02-05 06:24:48)

Hi guys.
sorry about all that rubbish i rote above. i don't know what i was thinking.
sorry again.
oh and for those who are instersted i like some rap but not all.
i will listen to mettal and see what i think of it insted of making an appinyun on what i herd before. sorry again.
/edit/
hi i just tryed to listen to Cattle Decapitation a body farm.
the story of it is kind of scary but how can yu understand what they are saying?
not trying to be rood again but i just don't understand. ohlol i did understand jesus christ and human something something.
its a shame because i think i might like this kind of music. it is like horror but musical horror.
/edit/
i am going to try Van Canto, and see if i like it.
/edit/
wow i really like this song.
Van Canto - The Bard's song (Blind Guardian cover)
wow, just wow.

2012-02-05 06:22:58 (edited by brad 2012-02-05 06:26:08)

@nocktornus how can you understand what some of the people are saying when you listen to mettal?
/edit/
i just edited all of my posts on this fred. hope that is better for people.

2012-02-05 06:27:50 (edited by Nocturnus 2012-02-05 06:31:50)

You either learn to do so, or you cheat, by which I mean you navigate to a site like darklyrics.com and read along as the song plays.  smile
I confess to doing a little of both.  It was because I first cheated and read many lyrics that I was able to later understand more of what was being said in songs later and now have little to no trouble understanding most of the vocalists in the death metal or black metal genres.  I think Slam death might be something of a joke as all I ever hear is Ree Ree, roo roo, and, on occasion, roe roe

I almost forgot, Waking The Cadavre has utilized another word or two in the slam death genre, I think I heard shree in there somewhere, or something of that nature; I just like the chunky guitar riffs and the genuinly interesting vocal ranges people employ when throwing this nonsense together.

2012-02-05 07:44:58

hi,
well, i dont know anything much about music, because i live in a native country with its own style of music and songs,
and perhaps my favourite are the beatles, yellow submarine, and with a little help from my friends are really awesome, and a few others as well, not to mention a hard days night, lol

well, where to listen to different kind of music?
as metals are discussed here,  or what other types are understandable enough, the words.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-02-05 18:05:08

I know a lot of people use last.fm to try and find bands and other genres that way.  I generally tend to do all of the legwork myself by following twitter accounts that post about metal or other genres, then click on the links they provide to listen to new upcoming bands and the like.

2012-02-07 21:29:14

@Brad: Metal is an artform, a lifestyle. @kingGamer: It's hard to list only 10 bands. It's all amaizing. And, I can also grind out some nasty shredding on my 2010 fender strat! Rock on metalheads!

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-02-11 19:49:10

Ok, here's my top ten

1 blind guardian
2 stormwarrior
3 cellador
4 dragonforce
5 evil fairytale
6 edguy
7 avantasia
8 sonata arctica
9 running wild
10 nightwish

I'm always looking for great power metal. I like simphonic to, but I still prefer the pure guitar's sound. Does any of you know some good melodeath bands? I've recently discovered this genre and I want to learn more about it.

Good topic

p.s. In my opinion, last fm is the best way to listen to music, since similar artists are linked togheter, so, if you like a band, it's easy to find singers with the same stile.

2012-02-14 02:00:09

Cool people! Yeah I like dragonforce too. But no one can ever play their music because it's so darn fast.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-02-14 17:23:18

Is there a place to learn how to bass metal besides YouTube?

2012-02-14 18:32:04

I for one am not sure I am understanding the question.  If you are refering  to recognizing metal genres and subgenres, I admit to sometimes being at a loss myself despite having studdied metal for quite a long time.  It doesn't help that bands swich shyips on you, sometimes within the album. 
All Shall Perish is a good example, giving you a fairly slow instrumental to ponder over, then pounding out a song with the deathcore style they generally tend to stick with.  It used to be common to classify bands like Cradle of Filth and Samael as black metal, when in all reality, if you know anything about metal, you've come to the conclusion that black metal has been dead for years and these bands are actualy playing a mixture of heavy metal riffs closely mixed with symphonic atributes, and that Samael doesn't truly seem to know what they want to do with themselves.  Bands like that are better termed Extreme metal because they have that habit of never quite sticking to any one subgenre.

Then, the elitist communities have this huge obsession of coming out with subgenres under already existing subgenres to add to already existing subgenres in the genre so that the list of things to pick from becomes yet more confusing.  The way I see it, if it's doom, it's doom, no need to go into more sophistication such as death doom or funeral doom.  the exception I make to this rule is Core, as it has many things to offer of its own.

Core is likely to branch off from metal soon if only because it has developed so differently from where it began, and , with the exception of grindcore has katered to a more mainstream comunity.  Metalcore and deathcore are fairly favorable on stages and radio stations around the world along with the hardcore and crustcore genres.  Grindcore never quite lasted a chance.  I believe it was an issue of being born a little too far ahead of its time and that the bands in this genre often had to go back and review from an artistic standpoint those things they had already done, and as a result of looking back, the genre fell far behind all the other genres that were emerging around the same timeframe.

In short, there will be many metal snobs out there that tell you that they alone know the genre and that they alone should be trusted of knowing the genre so well; they are deluded.  Metal has expanded majorly since its birthing in the 60's and it is impossible to know the entire genre.  Simple questions like who truly founded metal are still debatorial matters.

2012-02-16 16:58:52

I'm talking about learning how to play the bass section to metal music. All the places I've tried have fret numbers, finger numbers, and a bunch of bars. I need videos and such like.

2012-02-17 03:59:17

As far as getting into metal goes, I think you should start slow. What I mean is, start with bands that mainly use clean vocals, then slowly build up from there. Some bands I would recommend to get you started are After Forever, Nightwish, Metallica, Within Temptation, Opeth, Lacuna Coil, and Diecast. Then you can move up with stuff like Swallow the Sun and Children of Bodom. You just keep taking little steps like that until you develop a tolerance for it, or decide you hate it. It's sort of like building a tolerance for beer or coffee or spicy food. It's all gotta start somewhere. Oh, and if you really want to start at the bottom and work your way up, and I know people are going to scoff at me for saying it, start with nu-metal. Yeah, you all heard me, lol. Stuff like Slipknot, their first 2 albums, Static-x, again their older material as their new stuff is crap, American Head Charge, Godhead, Pain, even radio-friendly bands that aren't necessarily nu metal but are still in the public consciousness like H.i.m. and Five Finger Death Punch are good starting points.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2012-02-17 06:39:14

Nah, I totaly agree with you Turtlepower.  You need to hit the mainstream side of things before you look into the forbidden realm as I call it.

The difference between mainstream metal and that which is not is the social aspect.  Metal at its inception was a genre intended to produce much shock and open minds to different possibilities that were generally regarded by mainstream society as antisocial.  Eventualy, some bands became famous and loved the fame more than the music that they produced.  they ditched the original fanbases for poppularity and began to focus more on the entertainment industry and ways to get in on the greatness side of things, ultimately forgetting that which had made them great to begin with.

I believe a great example of what I am describing is the band Metallica.  IN the early 80's three bands were dominating the metal scene, those being Judas Priest, Motorhead, and Iron Maiden.  Less important acts like Anvil were struggling to get their footing with the giants, and along with Diamondhead, another act who would later become something of a dominant metal figure as well, they created the inspiration for later acts like Venom, Slayer, Testament, Prong, Anthrax, and of course, the mighty Met.  The bands first tracks were generally speed metal rifs with thrash elements on the side.  When Metallica was unable to record on Metalblade because the label could not aford any additional costs on its budget, the band tried to grab contracts from New York based production outfits and found nothing.  As a result, they recorded their first album thanks to the help of a nobody at the time named John Zazula.

It is no secret that the sound was fairly new and catchy amongst the metalheads and almost instantly accepted.  What we didn't know at the time is just how great the sound was yet to become.  IN 89, the band received a grammy nomination on the album ... And Justice For All for best hard rock/metal album and was expected to receive the award, so much so that the band was actually waiting at the side of the stage at that year's grammies to get it.  Upset ensued amongst the metal community when the award was given to Jethro Tull  for an album that would never truly see any poppularity or real favor amongst most of its people.  At this point, the band goes on to record its selftitled album with Bob Rock as producer, a man who had recently been working with acts like Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, and famous glam rockers Mötley Crüe.  The result was something the original fans truly didn't expect.  After remixing the album a total of three times and some one million dollars later, Metallica was completely unrecognizable, but favorable to the mainstream community.  Since then, the band has never quite been able to get into the good graces of the metal community that it began working with, and I doubt it ever will.

it is worth mentioning that the first song I ever heard with something close to hard and heavy riffing is Fuel by Metallica; I was 10 years old.  Today, at 23 going on 24, I listen to Blotted Science when I need an instrumental fix, and The Faceless when I want vocals.  Obviously there are many other acts in between, but those are two that I will mention for the sake of example.  Metallica is a true subject of upset for me because I went backwards with them and discovered how much better they had been.  Nevertheless, it was the right thing to do when approaching metal, and I'm thankful that I did.

2012-02-18 12:30:48

1: Evanescence
2: within temptation
3: after forever
4: nightwish
5: Doro
6: Dream Evil
7: Sengir
8:  Elegy
9: Dengel - band from china
10: Opeth

I live to crochet!