2012-01-28 23:45:31

Hi.
i have been thinking about this for quite a long time.
what the problem for me is, is that i have a lot of files from blind mice mart with _ (underlines in them) do you think you could make a program that could queue up files and then you could press a button and it would delete all the underlines in the files oh and leave spaces between them?
its just an idea but i think it would be a good program to have. it would make everyones lives easyer.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-01-29 00:22:29

Delete the underlines in the file names, or the files themselves?

I think either would be quite simple, but the renaming option might be a little tricky with spaces , since the easiest ay to do that would be a batch file.
(Anyone more familiar with dos commands: would this do the trick?
ren *_* "* *"
?)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-01-29 00:32:22

Hi. about deleteing the files. i can't do that. because they are movies! lol and i can't get rid of my movies!
smile hahah i am to much of a movie fanatic to do that. hmm is fanatic the rite word? oh well no matter.

2012-01-29 11:03:37

hi
i think that there is a kind of progame that removes extra unwanted headers from the files , i have seen such kind of stuff on whitestick.co.uk, but not sure about this one, ‵vb100 though.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-01-29 12:25:55 (edited by robjoy 2012-01-29 12:27:21)

Hi,
Cae, your example would not work, since a wildcard must have letters or a dot in between, but no whitespace, as far as I know. I will have to refresh my dos command knowledge as well, haha.
Mmmm, Brad, are those movies located in one single folder?

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2012-01-29 14:59:33

hi.
yes.
they are all in one folders. wel the folders are separated but yes the movies are in one folder.

2012-01-29 20:48:56

Hmmm...This is a toughy. The Windows command prompt won't allow you to do this through a bat file because you aren't suppose to have spaces in the file names. The Linux shell, bash, won't allow you to do it through shell scripts either. Its only with the invention of graphical guis like Windows Explorer that you can use spaces legally in file names.

I've been programming for about 12 years now, and unfortunately I haven't had any experience with doing something quite like this. Its  not like a simple find and replace in a text file because you have to get the name of the file, store it in a string variable, replace  all the underlines with a space, and then tell Windows to overwrite the old file name with the new file name. Problem the system() function which I'd normally use for a task like this will not allow a developer to insert spaces into a file name. I'm not really sure how someone would go about writing a tool to do this thanks to the limitation of not being able to insert spaces through the normal shell commands.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-01-29 20:59:54

Hello,

Here's one way to do it.
Visit this website and download A.F.5 Rename your files.
After installing it, add all the files you'd like to rename using the add button.
Hit ctrl+h for search/replace. In the search field put a underline (_), in the replace field, a space ( ). Hit the OK button.
Then, check the list, it shows how the newfilenames will look like for each file. If you are satisfied with it, hit the rename button, and the program will start renaming them.

Hth,
Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-01-29 21:03:52

Hi,
@Tward, last time I checked, MoveFile allowed spaces in filenames.
Why I am not inclined to write one is because there are far too many utilities which can do the job quite well.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-01-30 07:06:32 (edited by brad 2012-01-30 07:33:04)

hi,
i didn't know programs like this were out here.
/edit/
is there a way i can select  all of the files in a folder using this program? or do i nead to add them one buy one?
this is agreat program buy the way!
/edit/

thanks robjoy for your help!
oh and thanks Tward cid and kei.

2012-01-30 11:30:38

Hi,
You're most welcome, Brad!
Yes, it should be able to handle adding multiple files from the list, e.g. you can select the files with the shift key and click open. All the selected files will be added.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-01-30 11:53:48

Hey, Rob. Thanks for the program suggestion. This looks like what the doctor ordered. big_smile

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com