2012-08-18 23:34:27

That is true, however equally a good arcade game still takes work to design, and I'm not always convinced people with their earlier bgt projects put enough thought or work into making the gameplay stand out the way some of the arcade audios do, even when they are passed the practice game phase.

Of course games developement is like anything else, even in the basic arcade genre the more time and thought you put into working on the games, the better they will be.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-08-20 13:56:41

Hi,
I do not think that an arcade game would be inherently easier to code. Consider games like SD, or for that matter, Palace Punch-up--I'm sure neither of those were coded in an hour's time. It all depends on the complexity and intelligence of anythng whcih opposes you in your objective.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2012-08-20 17:39:15

Hi,
Yep, but the concepts may be simple that it may be worth trying an arcade style game as one of your first projects.
To go a little off topic.. for me, I'd rather code some sort of text-based game first, possibly with a story element, to keep it as, possibly, a db worthy game. I am not sure if this will happen.