2012-05-24 12:08:28

Well, I need to update my top 10, as always ...
1 bokurano deboukin 2
2 swamp
3 soundRTS
4 tactical battle 1.05
5 GMA tank commander
6 black square
7 night of parasite
8 top speed 3
9 technoshock
10 quentinC playroom

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2012-05-24 12:59:21

hi,
though i'm very confused about whether to write my top 10 or not, any suggestions would be appriciated on how to write mine.
i mean, how to go through the old memories of some well played games and stuff, you know.

i'll be up soon with my tops list as well, (which i was waiting to do from ever this topic was made, but couldn't because of a disease called laziness)

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-05-24 14:54:25

Hmmm, sid, as to how to write it, just look at the previous top tens'. Myself, I tried to think of best games ever. I probably need to considder updating mine, sinseI've played swamp, but I think I'll wait until I have played more games and more games have come out before I do.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-05-25 13:58:12

Hi,
I think swamp may have jus suppased bokurano but who knows, i mean, bokurano is getting more and more weapons.
but, this top ten topic has enspired me, there may be more top tens coming...

2012-05-25 15:58:26

oh aprone is adding in more weapons two. he sed he had a bunch of new guns to add.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2012-05-27 17:06:19

This is hard. I mean, really hard, but we'll give it a try.
#10. Monkey Business - not an easy game, for a first person advanture, it does lack in navigation features... and yet, it's my first purchase as far as audio games go. The reason? The ambience is just amazing! The jungle in the wild west are probably the best in this regard.
#9. Treasure mania 1 - I remember trying this one at 1 AM when it just came out. Again, the ambience is just amazing, and the gameplay isn't that difficult.
#8 - Top speed 3. This game was nice with the keyboard, but when I got my gamepad, it got even more amazing. If only it was more customizable - I still want to race against AI's driving custom cars, but that's another topic.
#7 - Q9 as far as simple 1d side scrollers go, this one is nice. Sounds are great, gameplay is great, AI is also great. Over all I quite like this game.
#6 - time of conflict - This game is just cool. If only it had NVDA support. Either way I spent a lot of time on this, and the upcoming additions are going to make it even better.
#5 - Zero sight - When I heard about it, I was really sceptic, considering how many people we had come on, claiming they're coming out with something amazing, except they didn't know programming, or other reasons. So, I was sceptic, until the take off trailer came. That was when I decided I'm getting this. I like it better than tdv, even though it's combat system isn't as envollved, but the simulation part is done much better, with a more realistic damage model, amazing engine sounds, and other smaller things which, together make an awesome game. Simulation at its best for sure.
#4 - Alter Aeon - haven't played it in a while, but it still makes the list. The first time I tried it was with Valiant8086's monkey term soundpack. It was cool. Then, mush-z came out. And it just kept getting better, to the point where we have an excellent hybrid audio/text game, which is yet unmatched.
#3 - perilous hearts - Although not yet complete,it's already shaping up to be very awesome. Excellent phizzics, great sound design, and an intelligent AI make this a must play.
#2 - world of war - Judgment day was one of the first games I bought, and spent countless hours on. When games are cloned, it's either a very bad ripoff, just a clone, or something which expands on the original idea and makes it better. WOW is the ladder, and even though the movies aren't translated, the game is still amazing.
#1 - BD2 (I'll save myself misspelling this one, big_smile ) - Even without understanding the story, this game has so much content and replay value, it's just amazing. I still can't believe how can you program something this amazing when you're 14, but hey, I'll take it!
And to conclude, I'd like to mention a game which would make the top 10, if not for a small/large issue:

Rail racer - while I like the blind adrenaline card room, it isn't as awesome as this racing game. I just wish Che would work on it, right now, it's sitting there rather broken, with no way to activate a purchased copy or play on-line. A real shame!

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2012-05-27 21:36:32

Interesting choices there, I agree about treasuremania being a great quality game, I just wish there ws more of it.

You might however want to rethink alteraeon, as myself I only considdered this topic to be audio games not brouser games or muds (I made a separate top ten for that).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-05-28 22:17:51

here i go 1 swamp i! just! love! to! rip! zombys! heads! apart! 2 0! site! this is going to be cool wen patch 1.4 coms out 3 good old mota my bruther loves the guns he sess i want a mos brird 5 90a all think of some more later

add me to Skype at audio gamer333

2012-05-29 01:53:57

hmm, mine
1: bokurano daibouken 1 and 2, tied
probably the closest to mainstream quality, these 2 are just woooooo!!! heh
also, love the music
2: swamp
all i have to say is, bang, bang, bang, slash, oh crap, aaaaggghhhh! noooooooo!!! big_smile *goes to get weapons back*
replay value, random factor
I'll think of more later

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2012-05-29 02:34:54

Yep, swamp is awsome. I'm almost tempted to rewrite my top ten to include it big_smile.

2012-08-10 06:34:09

Okay. Here goes my top 10 list. I'm not nearly as much of a gamer as a lot of others seem to be that I see post on here. I read a lot more than I post...A lot more.

Anyway, here goes.

10. Ten Pin Alley. I see nobody has mentioned this one. It was a well-done game, although far too easy to get strikes once you listened to the sounds long enough. LOL. I used to bowl, so this could be my attraction to it.

9. Dark Destroyer. It was one of the first audio games I played...the first being Robert Betts's Battleship then Shades of Doom...I don't like arcade-style, fast key-banging type games and that is what the VI community seems to have a lot of, obviously because they are the easiest both to design as well as play, but I must make an exception here. Don't worry. I'll make a couple more. Haha. It's fun and the acting is great even if the cut scenes are a little childishly silly, but that was the point...so.

8. Tarzan Junior. I love games like this. I only wish I could play it again without having to rip apart my poor computer's current software structure. Well, not really, but Setting up VMWare Player and a VM just for this is more than I'm willing to do at the moment. I like games where you can climb things in order to explore new parts. It makes it more like the real world instead of being limited to a flat plain. Monkey Business of course does a better job of using Touraine levels and such, but that game is not officially in this list because I will never beat a game in which I must refer to a guide every two or three steps I take along a cliff. Ridiculous!

7. GMA Tank Commander. I got the demo when it was first released or soon thereafter and I beat it the very first time I tried to play it, having first read the manual, of course. I must get a full copy soon so I can play it again. Last time I attempted to play, I got so frustrated when trying to navigate the sector with all the streets that I gave up. Still, I love the feeling of driving a tank with tons of artillery that you can chuck at oncoming vehicles, even if it is virtual. As an added bonus, the majority of the game's combat is long-range, which is perfect for me! I'm horrible when it comes to 3D Spacial Audio games, but I can manage alright as long as I'm not inside a damn building! That was the second sector, if I remember correctly, so I guess that is pretty pathetic...

6. Mario. I love the fact that this game that I used to play before I lost so much sight that it was impossible was adapted for us. The sounds are good but I can't get very far in it at all because I can't seem to jump at the right time and this is close to the beginning of the first level. One other major complaint. The music is extremely loud and if you are unlucky enough that you do not have control over your Midi volume independently from your other sound applications, there is no way to turn it down so you can here the sounds that you need to.

5. The Q9 Action Game. I beat this game but still have played it repeatedly. I loved side-scrollers when I could play mainstream games and this hasn't changed. I also really like the concept of the force fields and the deus shields. I like that you can stand in a force field and jump  repeatedly so you can get tons of energy if you do just a small bit of math to make sure you always have a bass strength and don't get killed. I also like that the deus shields, when active, reflect the attacking monsters' energy back at them thus inflicting damage. Of course, I agree with others who have praised the quality of the sound effects and the voice acting.

4. Alien Outback. This is my second and next-to-last exception to my general non-arcade game-style preference. I like the different types of ships and that the higher-level ones move across the stereo field as they come toward you...oh, and I almost forgot the coolest part! That you have the opportunity to shoot the ships with side lasers after they land! Well, they become Robots or whatever, but yeah... This is of course nice, since I no longer had that sort of powerless feeling when I'd shoot too slow and Dark Destroyer and the ship would just...land, and that would be one count against me. LOL.

3. Super Liam. Again, we see my love for side-scrollers. Add to that the nice variety of enemies that do different things, variety of levels and of course, the best part...the fact that the boss at the end of every three acts is different thus needs to be defeated in a slightly different way. My favorite level is the spaceship level. I love the challenge of timing the lasers so I run under them while they're off.

2. Swamp. This is, like so many on here have already said, a revolution in audio gaming! That's why it's here. Otherwise, I'm not too happy with my character's current situation, but that is entirely my fault. I die more often than a lot of other players because, like I said before, when it comes to 3D spacial audio, I do fine unless I'm in an area where I have opportunities to get backed into corners. Thus, I often die on missions, but I'm not scared. I still try and help and I am getting better at finding crates. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do when, very soon, I'll die and have no reputation. The only way to fix this would be to truck-sit a mission or two. Of course, I could always run around with my axe after I use up the 40 rounds in my Gloc, but that's grinding and I absolutely hate that! That's why I hardly ever play Alter Aeon anymore.

1. Pipe 2 Blast Chamber. I absolutely love this game! The best part is the extreme replay value thanks to randomized levels and all the other random events, not to mention all the cheat codes you can obtain, which I have more than once!

So, I guess I kind of discredited my repeated statement that I try to stay away from arcade-style games, but since that's the vast majority of the games the VI community has had up until recently, then my choices were a bit limited. Now, time to go through the game Database on here and see what new games I haven't played yet...that are! not! arcade-style!

Oh, I really wanted to put Time Adventures in that list, but since I just started playing from the beginning earlier today and am now stuck in the old country hous, it got kicked out by...something else. LOL. I talked to the boys in the communion room and everything else I could think of...the guards won't let me get into the other doors...

Yep, I'll be revising my list more than once in the very near future, I am sure.

Anyway, that is quite enough from me...

My opinions are my own. I try not to state them as facts and if I'm not sure about something, I do whatever research I can. I feel everyone should consider doing the same.

2012-08-10 10:24:53

Interesting kg4rdf. There are certainly many more none arcade style games than when i started playing audio games back in 2006, just check the db for some suggestions, but in particular I'd recommend entombed, zero site and castaways, a great audio rpg, detailed flight combat game and stratogy game respectively.

as to dark destroyer, i agree the sounds and rather over the top voice acting are great, though for me the lack of features and different types of enemies, and the fact that it still! works on the here it, hit it, principle is a bit of a let down.

Alien outback is probably my favourite space invaders game for the reasons you mention, and because you actually have to judge where the ships are rather than just run and fire.

Ten pin alley I'm afraid just never grabbed my interest at all, sinse when I tried the demo it was far too easy to just get a strike every time. While it has all these features, sounds, commentary, ability to change name etc, the game basically boiled down to a straight out targiting arcade game like crazy darts, which didn't really grab my interest at all.

Perilous hearts and Mysterious of the ancients both are full 2D side scrollers as opposed to the 1D games like superliam and Q9, which means lots of exploring and climbing on things, so I'm pretty sure both will appeal to you once completed.

2012-08-10 13:59:43

My top ten games plus one.
1. the GMA game engine. Written for Shades of Doom originally, without it we wouldn't have Tank Commander, Sarah and Pacman Talks. I only wish the twenty people who were developing games with it had been more productive.
2. Lone Wolf. Originally designed for DOS, David was the first to have sound playing and the ability to create new missions built into a game and it shows. I hope he updates the game with more sounds and have all the missions accessed from a menu.
3. Ten Pin Alley. Josh added the first truly realistic game simulator, creating the atmosphere of a bowling alley, complete with a ditsy intercom and the funny but annoying sounds from other bowlers.
4. Monkey Business. Created in the  late 90's it was very impressive with its multi levels and different environments.
5. Swamp, the first truly multiplayer on-line first person shooting game,a type of game many people thought could never be done.
6. Rail Racer and it's revolutionary use of the mouse in the game.
7. Top Speed  with the ability to use   a force-feedback joystick.
8. Blastbay Game Toolkit, with its many games.
9. Time of Conflict. a strategy war game still in development but with incredible game play. 
10. Super Egg Hunt. The game I go to when I want to enjoy three minutes of frantic action.
11. Tomb Hunter: Mysteries of the Ancients,  now named the Arc of Hope, still in development, looks to be my next go to game for single player fun.

2012-08-10 14:20:32

Hmmm Phil, I like the way you sort of have in games for historical significance big_smile.

I'm not sure about the gma engine as a special platform like Bgt though, sinse it never seems that many games have been made with it, and last I heard it cost a rather prohibitive amount of money for people to use.

While I really like what has been done with it in Sarah, shades etc, I'm not sure if it counts on it's own because of the availability question.

2012-08-10 14:39:07

AtKG4RDF: Which version of Mario are you playing? The BGT version has the ability to adjust volume with page up / page down. For the Dragon Slayers version, I haven't tried this method on Windows Vista, but I think that if you can't adjust midi volume from the volume control, it might be adjustable through another program that uses it, like Media Player.

... I get the distinct feeling I should try Pipe2. Hm, I think I let titles influence my decisions too much. (Then again, one usually needs to be atracted by the title before one stops to read a more detailed description...).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-08-10 15:38:46

Hi Dark.
You are correct in that the GMA game engine was never a download which the public could try out.
I think David was charging $50 US to try it for a year. There were at least twenty people working with it, but I was the only one who completed a game. I think David abanded releasing it as it was so time consuming for him to answer all the questions from the fledgling developers. He had a beta list that discussed what people were working on, and I even got hold of a beta of a Dungeons and Dragons game built with it, that I lost in a hard disk crash. I created many game prototypes with it trying out different things, with most of them not working. As it was written in VB6 and now needs the libraries, and since BGT does many of the same things, I don't think he will be releasing it as a game development platform.

2012-08-10 15:46:04

A shame really phil, I'd have loved to see that D&D game finished. I still think the gma game engine is the standard of how to build an fp game in audio, in fact I believed that technoshock was built with it for a while the techniques were so similar. I know when discussing first person navigation with aprone and testing a couple of his map concepts that eventually became swamp the gma engine was referenced a lot.

2012-08-10 17:22:09

Hi Dark,
I used the GMA engine to create prototypes of Duck Hunt, Cops, Breakout, Snipe Hunt, Ms. Pack man, and the finished game Super Dog's bone hunt. Several of these wer lost with the crash. In the D and D game, I remember exploring several rooms with just a knife, finding a sword and encountering sprites that would bite you and trolls that would hit you wit a club. The trolls were slow so you could run in, stab them and run away before they could swing. Eventually, you found a key to a door and when you unlocked it you found an Elf who gave you the mission to the next level.

2012-08-10 18:55:05

Ah, so it was more a fantasy themed action game than actually having stats and rpg like mechanics? still, sad it got lost, ditto with your other games. I remember hereing about your cops game, and it sounded fun.

2012-08-10 22:00:50 (edited by KG4RDF 2012-08-10 22:05:13)

@Dark, I agree about TPA. I did mention that drawback. Yeah, the hear it, hit it style of Dark Destroyer is repetative.

Is zero sight actually playable? Last I saw a few months ago, I think, there was just a concept video out, not even a playable demo. Yes, PH sounds fun. I've been reading a lot about it here.

I could never really do anything with Castaways. I can't seem to get the game to progress after I make my starting selections, but I'll try again.

I bought Entombed over a year ago now, beat it twice after hours and hours each time and trying various combinations of characters. It was a fun game and I really got into it, but I'm annoyed that the $39 is basically meaningless because the last version I know of is 1.02 K, thus no updates since I've beaten it. There was some sort of test version that I managed to get a hold of and later lost, but nothing ever seemed to come of that.

I shall check these out. I've also got to figure out how to sort the DB for easier viewing. I see where I can get rid of the "favorite" links below each entry but it's still huge with no real way to manage what you're looking at unless you know specifically what you are looking for, which I don't.

My opinions are my own. I try not to state them as facts and if I'm not sure about something, I do whatever research I can. I feel everyone should consider doing the same.

2012-08-10 22:23:52

KG4RDF, in Castaways did you unpause the game using the spacebar?  As funny as it sounds, that's the number 1 reason for players who get confused with the game and quit trying.  They don't know that the game starts out paused while you make your initial choices.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2012-08-10 23:43:58

yeah, that actually makes things a lot better cuz if it wasn't, you'd be scrued by the time you figured things out and finished planning lol
@cae yep, I've played both mario games and gotta say I think yours is way cooler haha, also just wondering is that still being worked on?

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2012-08-11 00:03:00

Well, it's mostly finished, though today I did try playing it with a braille display and jaws and realized that it doesn't use a keyhook, so I might wind up adding that. 8-4 could use more enemies, but it's hard enough without more than we already have.
I could try to go into SMB: The Lost Levels (the Japanese version of Mario2 that didn't make it to America right away because of being too similar to the first / too hard). I've only played that one up to 3-1, though. The only reason I would try it next instead of what we got as Mario2 is because I could use the same engine, hahaha.
I'm not sure if I could do Mario2 without it being object-based, but maybe we'll find out some day.
Which is not this day, as I'm working on something else that I want to rush out the door by the twentieth. tongue
Without giving away anything about the game, I will say that my last testplay involved me ducking into a house to beat up an enemy, when another ran by and cut the house in half with a sword. I was not able to avoid being killed in the ensuing collapse. smile

On GMA games: Is the corridor detection seen in Pacman Talks and Sara a feature of the GMA engine, or is it something that just builds on more basic elements? As terrible as I am at playing either of them, those are features I really need to get around to trying to recreate at some point...

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-08-11 11:23:48

The corridor detection is a feature of the GMA game engine. It has two features.
In automatic walking mode, you can tell the game to turn intellegently when you reach a corner by hitting the left key along a corridor to turn left at the next intersection.
This works only when you are moving. If you are stopped, you turn into a wall.
The second part is a separate toggle that detects when you get to a corner and echos the sound of your footsteps and the wind at the corner in the direction of the opening.

2012-08-11 12:18:24

@kg, if you go to the bottom of the audiogames.net page there is a dropdown list which can get you to any page in the db instantly, that is probably the best way to navigate things and look at games, indeed I only use the list myself when I want to use the search archive function and search for games of a specific genre etc.

I'm a little confused about what you say regarding entombed. while it is true Jason hasn't updated the game for a while, I don't see that that invalidates the price, heck, the majority of audio games that are now finished and no longer developed but are still worth buying.

I'd personally recommend just trying as much of things as you can, indeed back when I first discovered this site and audio games generally in 2006, that's pretty much what I did.

As to zero site, yes, it's very much finished and playable, ndeed there is now also the expantion for the game, zero site extended operations.

check the page in the db for dettails, indeed, I found time to knock out an entry for the expantion yesterday so that's now got an entry too.