2011-12-03 04:32:30

Hey all. Just wanted to know what people are thinking about jaws 13. I haven't got it yet, but plan to do so very soon. What do you guys like or not like about it? What do you all think of the OCR feature? Just discuss. Thanks.

2011-12-03 11:21:47

The OCR feature is pretty cool (if it works) but the problem is that OCR technology isn't advanced enough that it can completely make inaccessible applications usable. Besides that though, the majority of the changes in jaws 13 are just bugfixes. Its a pretty big improvement over jaws 12 in a lot of the applications that I use, though there is this annoying bug with it not recognizing tables properly in word 2010. I think that might be caused by the new navigation layer feature for tables.

2011-12-03 12:28:26

Just out of curiosity. What other applications do you use? Just wondering because i'm wanting to figure out the improvements over jaws 12. Also, do you think the OCR feature could solve captchas?

2011-12-03 13:34:48 (edited by Nocturnus 2011-12-03 13:35:47)

Captchas are meant to trick computers to try and reduce the amount of spammers that sign up to any service, thus, the idea seems highly unlikely.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-12-03 14:34:23

That's why I am constantly amazed by and wondering how on Earth Web Visum does it.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-12-03 14:48:29

I wouldn't be surprised if they actualy have a 24 hour staff they pay to do the job.  There are many things companies don't tell you.  I was a little annoyed to discover that google's voice to text transcriptions are all done by hand.  The only reason I know this to be true is that on occasions when sending messages to certain people, I would use vulgar words which at times would not be transcribed properly, by which I mean they contained either some asterisks or the entire word was replaced with * and excluded from the text transcriptions, and on other occasions the words were perfect as could be and not replaced by anything.  The service is advertised as being very accurate at transcribing... Yeah right.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-12-03 15:39:06

I use web visum, i like it just fine. I was just curious if the jaws OCR could do the job but, i guess i'll try it out later. Has the jaws curser changed at all? For example, some anti virus applications require the jaws curser. Norton security sweet comes to mind. I guess i'm not really expecting much change but you never know.

2011-12-03 16:58:42

web wism owns... i mean, it's verry cool!

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2011-12-03 21:07:43

That's quite interesting about google's transcription, and something I was not aware of until now. But I still think Web Visum managed to come up with an automated solution because, as far as I understand it, they're just a bunch of more or less independent web developers who have come together to maintain this project as a hobby. So not sure if they could afford that. There are other human captcha solving services out there that I've heard of, I think Selena was the name of one of them, but I do tend to believe that Web Visum really does it through just computers. :-)
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-12-04 12:52:41

Yep its called solona.

As to what applications i use, i use microsoft word, excel and outlook pretty often and there are lots of improvements in those applications and access is actually halfway usable now.