2011-11-30 11:00:16

Please accept my apologies for posting this message in this forum if this is not the correct area.  I am in search of an online college, institution or course that teaches individuals how to develop quality audio games.  I have absolutely no understanding of how the concept of making any game begins, so i'd need a class/course that will provide me all of the tools and skills necessary to successfully learn to develop audio games from beginning to the end.  Although I am nearly 40 years of age, i'm willing to at least put forth an honest effort towards accomplishing this goal.  I would love to learn how to create audio games for myself as I happen to be totally blind.  I also have some friends and family members that also have visual impairments that i'd like to share my new creations with.  If I should become good at developing audio games, perhaps I may attempt to create video games that both sighted and blind individuals could enjoy; who knows...  Thank you in advance for anyone that will share positive feedback with me.  I hope to visit this forum many times in the near future.  Until next time; please take care and have a pleasant week... 

Sincerely,

Sightless1

G. L. D "The Sightless 1"

"Transforming Blind Ambitions Into Sightless Visions"

2011-11-30 11:31:10

Hi sightless.

I took the liberty of moving this topic sinse it is game related and so belongs in general game discussion.

Well I have some bad news and some good news.

The bad news is, there are no university or college courses on audio game developement or design. The general mainstream gaming industry and insttitutions take litle notice that audio games exist, which goes for education as well.

The best you can do is get some general courses on programming and software design, and then do projects on creating audio games, but even there most of the work in actually learning techniques for creating the game as opposed to general programming stuff will be your own rather than taught on the course, and you'll probably do a lot of other less relevant things too.

There is however some good news. Very recently the first ever custom scripting tool was developed for creating audio games alone. this is The blastbay game toolkit, find out more here

this is a game engine and scripting langauge with extensive tutorials. You can start froms cratch, go through the tutorials, play with the examples and learn the relevant programming just for making audio games, pluss the engine itself takes care of many of the more mundane programming tasks for you such as memory management.

It also has lots of useful functions and commands in the programming just! to create games, for instance, instead of writing lots of code to get the windows sapi voice to speak stuff, you just use one function.

programming is like anything, it takes time and dedication to learn, and thus bgt will take work to understand and use and an amount of practice, but this will be far less than doing general prgramming with a view to creating games, and the bgt tutorials are great!

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-11-30 12:15:00

Hi,

Glad to see another one who's actually joining us developers. smile
Dark is right. If you're looking towards audio game creation, for the code, using BGT is the easiest. Also, you might want to look at sound designing (Or have someone do it for you), it's necessary for quality audio games.
Also, if you have any specific questions, I'm sure there are people on this forum who would be happy to help you out. I certainly would. smile
I know, I haven't been in the audio game scene for a long time, however I do think I know enough to be able to peace together a decent audio game, one which would possibly be bought by people. big_smile
One thing: If started, don't give up. It can be frustrating at times, but maybe it's worth it in the end. I've received some little donations from people for creating my software and games, and actually I was truly surprised, I never thought I'd get anything out of it.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-11-30 23:15:55

sightless dark and gorthallon are correct in their recommmendations for the bgt.  If you want to get started with bgt send me an e-mail and I cna provide you with some code to study.  It could use a little cleaning up, but thaty may help you understand what is being done in the game.  Also I would be willing to help you develop any game in bgt.

Want to order food, but can't get out? Try this .
https://postmat.es/Tw5eUTrBn4