2011-11-23 02:59:13

Hi SLJ<
I assumed you had a look at the references section? Memory Train will definitely make more sense if you do that.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-11-23 09:55:17

Well Omar, I have had some great ideas for games the last 5 years or so. So if I ever get used to BGT which I really hope, then I might be able to make games pretty fast because I already have all the ideas! smile I'll study the language a bit more today, and most of the things are beginning to make sense! smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-11-23 10:18:50

Hi,

I'm glad to see another developer rising out of the ashes. big_smile
Glad things start to make sense. Just don't give up. You can do it! smile

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-11-23 11:45:11

Hi Omar,
I am not against Ghorthalon's idea, in fact I am very curious to see how it turns out, but I can't in all honesty exactly imagine what such a guide should look like. to me, when you combine the language tutorial, the game programming in practice tutorials, the reference and/or the example games, you've already got all the resources you could possibly want. Doing anything more would probably be just laying a game out for you, and that would seem counterproductive to me in the long run as it would not really serve the purpose of teaching people to actually understand the language and gradually become able to use it independently. Another approach would be to provide a template that would be easy to tweak and modify to have the core elements and behavior of the game fixed but allow the users to modify the individual characteristics, but this really is not what BGT was designed for and it has quite a couple of drawbacks:
1. it would take ages and be quite difficult to code for a single person if he or she wanted to make it right and easily tweakable.
2. It would be like Audiogame maker in the regard that it would allow you to come up with a small simplistic project rather quickly but it would inevitably suffer from many design limitations.
3. Similar templates would have to be developed for every gaming genre that you could think of.
4. We would then be flooded with dozens and dozens of small, predictable, familiar games that would be almost identical to one another and thus would get boring incredibly quickly as a result.
5. It would probably be quite easy to screw up without intending to and there would be a constant stream of urgent questions and queries about something trivial that was caused by the user's own lack of knowledge or awareness or whatever but it would still prevent their attempt at a game from working, it would require fixing and someone would always have to be available online to answer this kind of questions.
Although it might be sad or discouraging, which is not my intention but rather the blunt true state of things as they are, not everyone can develop a game. It's a branch of art like any other kind of programming or playing an instrument, and that does require certain talents, skill and learning curve. A game can't be made in the same way in which you would make a cup of instant coffee, just by pouring boiling water into it, and since everyone is different and has different strong and weak points, obviously not every single person does have what it takes to learn programming, even as simple as BGT, no matter how creative or imaginative they might otherwise be, etc. and you can't teach someone to play an instrument by performing a song for them and letting them feel your hands, which is exactly what providing such tweakable game templates would be in practice. For something similar to what audiogame Maker promised and what people probably still expected or even expect from BGT, someone might want to create a similar interface in BGT, so it would not have the bugs of audiogame Maker but it would still have to lack the same things and impose the same limitations as audiogame Maker did because of the very nature of programming. But if that's what most of the community wants, a cooker for instant games of a simplistic and similar nature and with certain unavoidable flaws, fair enough. :-)
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-11-26 15:54:19

Hi.
I've read some more in the BGT help and I've really put a lot of work in trying to understand how it works.
I've read the first part on making the memory train game, and the game menu in the very first game example in the help file.
I have studied my code for one hour now and tried to figure out why the heck it gives me an error. The only solution I can find is because I haven't coded what the added menu items shall do. However, before I continue my coding out from the example, I would make sure my menu works which it doesn't! This is exactly what makes people to give up when the examples from the help files doesn't work, or, I think it doesn't when I have done exactly what it says. Well, I'm not giving up now, not again. smile
Here is my code, and I really hope someone is able to tell me what's wrong and why it won't work for me. I thought the menu would start after I pressed okay. Sapi should speak the mainmenu and then I should be able to cycle through the menus. I know I haven't coded a feature which makes me use the arrow keys, but I thought the menu function had that feature?
Wel, now to my code:

#include "dynamic_menu.bgt"
void main()
{
alert("Game", "Welcome to my first memory train game which is pretty cool cause of my selection of sounds!");
show_game_window("Memory Train");
dynamic_menu menu;
menu.add_item_tts("start game");
menu.add_item_tts("test speakers");
menu.add_item_tts("keyboard practice");
menu.add_item_tts("exit game");
menu.allow_escape=true;
menu.wrap=true;
menu.run("Main menu. Please choose a menu item by pressing the arrow keys, and then press enter.", true);
}

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2011-11-26 16:01:33

Hi,

Well, I'd try my own way of explaining how things work, but you're right, the language tutorial is good enough. Then I'd go through the process of coding 2 games perhaps, adding comments... Uh and jokes, along the way. big_smile
Just trying to take it as light as one could, while still keeping it productive and helpful.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-11-26 18:16:12

Hi folks. I'm pleased to say that soon there will yet be another developer rising from the ashes. I started looking at BGT the other day, and didn't have too much trouble with the first few chapters. I'm hoping to tackle some more things today, and look at some game examples. As for sound libraries, certainly Sound Ideas have some fun sounds. While there are a few decent free sounds, you'll have to pay if you want anything half decent. And really, once you've done it, you've got those sounds to fall back on in years to come, when your making your 20th game or something. Lol.
Good luck to all!

2011-11-26 19:57:46

I'd gladly pay for sound libraries if I had the ability to do so. smile

SLJ, I pasted your code into a file and ran it, and I got no errors. It read the menu just fine, and closed when I pressed enter on exit. What exactly is happening for you?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-11-27 11:04:26

Wow CAE_jones that's interesting. I'm able to make something which just works on other peoples computer! Lol.
I got the following error:
Call stack size: 3

File: C:\Program Files\BGT\include\dynamic_menu.bgt
Line: 194 (1)
Function: int dynamic_menu::run_extended(string, bool, int, bool)

File: C:\Program Files\BGT\include\dynamic_menu.bgt
Line: 139 (1)
Function: int dynamic_menu::run(string, bool)

File: C:\Download\BGT test\memory_train.bgt
Line: 14 (2)
Function: void main()

Best regards SLJ.

2011-11-27 15:53:56

k, I understand now what's the problem.
it is happening with the most new version only..

This is not a signature.

2011-11-27 17:52:28

Oh, so this is a bug in the new version of BGT? If this is the case I'll report the bug, but I can't explain what cause the issue because I don't know what BGT think I'm doing wrong. Are there other ways to do the menu or to make the example in the manual? I should maybe skip the menu part since I understand how it works and begin making the game.

Best regards SLJ.

2011-11-27 18:33:49

Hm, I installed 1.1, but not the revision after that, so that might be the problem.
I generally make my own menus rather than using dynamic_menu, though the way I do it gets kind of tedious after a while, so I intend to give dynamic_menu a look at some point.
(Either that or make my own menu function, but that would probably be pretty pointless...)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-11-28 10:21:14

Hi.
thanks for your comments so far. I've found the answer and the solution to my issue in the topic called "More BGT new" in the generel room which I'm going to try as soon as I get time to do so!
Well, when this issue has been solved, it's time to code lots and lots of fun, or, I hope so. smile

Best regards SLJ.

2011-11-28 10:36:50

Hi guys,

This was a bug in the dynamic menu in revision 2. Until I release revision 3, you can grab a fixed version at:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5121962/dynamic_menu.bgt

Just replace it in the include directory which you'll find in the main BGT folder.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2011-11-28 11:35:21

Hi Philip.
thanks much for your reply. I would have contacted yu through the BGT forum if I didn't get any help here.
Regarding the error I got, what does that mean? How should I make any bugfixing if I ever got any error like this in my own program? I haven't read much about bugfixing in BGT yet and the error doesn't make much sense to me. So I might wait to ask this question until I get more experienced, I don't know. smile

Best regards SLJ.

2011-12-02 04:29:38

I think in some way dynamic_menu is calling the run_extanded function rather then run function...
smile
but I am not sure, so don't trust that.

This is not a signature.

2011-12-02 09:13:01

That's all right, Dhruv. When you call the run method, it in fact calls the run_extended one internally with the parameters you specified for the run call and defaults for the rest.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.