2011-11-17 19:17:09

There is a compiled html version of the manual in the bgt folder once you install it. I couldn't bring m yself to listen past the table of contents of the recording, but the text version is much more negotiable.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-11-17 21:05:51

So Hayden, is there any more differents beside the functions and main being void that I should know about? What I would like to know is rather or not class in BGT is different then C++. From what I seen in the docs, they are, but I may be missing something. A newbie guide may be useful, but I can see why it would be hard to write. I wish I read Hayden's post before I tried to write a "hellow world" program. LOL. When I get back to it, I'm playing around with the audio stuff. I can see how easy it would bbe to create an audiogame with this bgt. What I can say is that it is easyer calling an audio function then having to write an audio function. I can also see how hard it could be for a complete newbie. Could some one do a little audio demo of BGT or is that out of the question?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-11-17 22:25:53

Hi,
There is a slight differnece in that after the right brace there is no way to directly declare objects, thus no semmicolon. In addition, there are no public and private keywords from within classes, and inheritance is setup differently as well.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-11-18 00:32:06

Ah, i honestly didn't know that as i've only just reinstalled the thing and never really gave it much of a look before.  i'll have a read and see if i can get any idea on how and where to start out something simple.

2011-11-18 06:05:39

I have a newbie question that i have been wanting to know for quite a while. How does BGT handle sound effects for a game? For example, if you had sound effects in wav format, and you not only used them, but looped them like when a player hits a wall and you hear a thump sound, or walking foot steps. Wouldn't that require the program to load the particular file in question multiple times, causing a rediculous use of available memory. Sorry if this is a stupid question, just wondering how that would work.

2011-11-18 07:14:13

Actually, it depends on how you use the sounds.
BGT has sound objects that can load or stream from sound files. If loaded, the sound can be replayed as many times as you want until the sound object is destroyed. So it only has to be loaded once.

Though I've definitely found myself using the sound_pool object more often than sounds by themselves, and the sound_pool object loads a new copy every time you ask it to play, unless you've saved the index where the sound was loaded. bgt1.1 has allowed you to tell the sound pool whether or not to clean up a sound when it's done playing, only further increasing how much memory efficiency you can squeeze out of it.

When I started using sound in java, one of hte first things I did was create a SoundBuffer object, because it's much easier to type sb.play("mysound.wav") than it is to type SoundPlayer mySound=new SoundPlayer("mysound.wav"); mySound.play();.
My java SoundBuffer actually checks for files, so a sound is reused once it's loaded. However, it's not particularly speed-efficient, and since sounds can build up, it has to be cleared every now and then... and rather than trying to find an efficient way of doing that, I just have the whole thing be cleaned up at once, which can actually take several seconds that I would otherwise be using to slaughter Imps.
So how it works in bgt is better, is I think what I'm saying.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-11-18 11:37:54

That was very helpfull, thank you.

2011-11-20 02:01:44

hello.
what can I do to get started making game with BGT?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2011-11-20 04:41:58

To get started doing a game in BGT, you must first learn to use BGT if you don't already know it. Then you need to design it. then you need to write it. then you test it. then make any needed changes. Keep on doing the last two steps until you get it the way you like it. At last you release it in to the whild. Which one of these step are you having problems with? on the other hand, if all you wanted to know was the steps, then I believe I wrote most of them at the vary lease.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-11-20 05:56:54

Those first two steps seem to be where people get hung up most often.

At the absolute minimum, you need to understand variables, conditionals, loops and functions. Conceivably you could write something without defining more functions than void main, but you'd have to use functions to interact with the user, variables to keep track of those interactions, and conditionals and/or loops to evaluate them (unless your game is something like Madlibs...).

So, to further elaborate on CW's steps (which I definitely like!):
- Study the language tutorial. You need to understand things like int number = random(1, 99); and while(input!=number). Test your understanding of it by doing something like a guess the number game. Then enhance it so it's the shiniest guess the number game in the universe, to be sure you know how to use things like sounds. Maybe try as many input methods as you can come up with (reading from an input box, using get_characters, or even handling keyboard input directly). If you can get this far, you should have enough understanding of BGT to make just about anything it can handle.
- When you design a game, figure out how it needs to be for the user, then think about what the computer needs to do to make that happen. Remember, there are many ways to do similar things. I lost count of how many map systems I've used long ago...
- I don't recommend writing everything before you compile it. I recommend starting with the important background elements, such as any classes and auxiliary functions you need. If you have over a thousand lines of code before you compile for the first time, it's likely that you'll spend the next  long while hunting numerous tiny errors. It's ok to get the "your script does not define 'void main'!" message; that means there are no errors, but the game isn't finished. I don't save void main for last, but I don't do it first, either.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-11-20 13:49:19

Hi,

Now I'm actually quite interested, Cae, in what order you'd tackle creating a simple side scroller. You said you're not starting with the Main void? big_smile
So, what would you start with?

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-11-20 14:34:31

HMMM. if I had to guess, maybe the first level... then again, the game macanics would be a really good place to start. Of corce I don't know k... LOL.

DropBox Referral

2011-11-20 16:01:39

Hi,

Thing is we developers have different ways to go about doing something. While I personally would start with the very basic things, like actually getting the character to walk first without having some kind of map in place, other developers would first spend hours of time creating maps and the map engine. Now both ways aren't wrong, but there are benefits to both and drawbacks, I guess. So it's all about what the developer wants to do. This is why I'm always interested what other developers that aren't me would do.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-20 16:17:53

When I'm making a game, I almost always begin with a level editor so that I can produce the actual files I intend to load.  With a backup map editor set aside, I then proceed to convert my level editor in to the actual game.  I don't remember how long ago it was when I started doing this, but I've been so happy with it that I've never turned back.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-11-20 17:57:54

Hi,
I usally start with my main function, since it usually just includes initialization of my sound objects and other such things, then a call to my menu function.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-11-20 18:08:36

Hi,

I usually save the menu for the very last. I have my strategic reasons for that. big_smile
I'm not saying it's wrong, due to the fact that it isn't. Each one of us has different experiences and reasons to code the way they do.
I'd probably do the same as Aprone, if I were making an FPS. However for 1D side scrollers, making the walking functions first probably isn't that much of a bad idea.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-20 18:26:57

Initializing sound objects and such is a very good point I hadn't considered Hayden.  I think regardless of the reasons people will give about how and where they start, mine must be thrown out.  Because I can see I don't usually add in any sound or accessibility controls until I've built the core of the game.  This means I will be approaching the design from a direction that is suited more for a sighted developer.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-11-20 19:42:10

In the past, I've started with main and the menus and such... I can show you quite a few game projects where I didn't get any farther than that. wink
Of course, when I switched to doing the engine first, the same problem happens; I don't get much farther than actually making the underlying classes.

I like to be able to test my progress, but I need to have something suitable for testing. The tougher part of this is the characters, but I usually start with the maps so that the characters have an environment to be tested in.
The exception being my FiniteStateFighter engine in java, since I added the sidescroller elements to that much later.

Most of my projects involve a pretty wide range of characters, so actually creating them is one of the things that really slows me down. It's much worse if the maps are harder to work with.
For example, I made all of the JFIM Adventure and Mario maps with the aid of a braille display. I've started up several projects where the maps are based more around building from objects rather than being able to "draw" something, and the only one that's really gotten to the internet is Sonic (and that's kind of stalled for the same reason that others haven't gotten releasable).

I doubt anyone's gotten far enough in the JFIM Adventure to notice where my Character creation issues create issues (though it's mostly with weapons, code-wise character and weapon creation are about the same). Also, for the JFIM Adventure, I wrote a program to convert Characters I made with the FSF engine into 3d so I wouldn't have to do it by hand. The results can be buggy at times, but none of the playable characters are converted.

... I will also say that I've been making maps for games in braille pretty much ever since I had both a braillewriter and a gaming console in the same house. Not that most of the maps I made in the nineties would work very well if I dug them up and tried to make games out of them.... but yeah, when I realized I could do that for my actual games, it helped tremendously.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-11-22 14:27:49

Hi.
Can I get the BGT manual somewhere in html format? or can I convert the help file into a html file? I'm asking because it would be awesome to keep the manual on my dropbox and read it while on the go.
ve messed around with AutoIt but find the descriptions of the language not very great in the help file which comes with the language. AutoIT seems to be extremely easy when you know the basics about programming, but when you're a totally newbie I miss some information like the very basics. I've just read the very first part in the BGT manual which finally makes sense to me, so I'll keep reading until I get stuck, and ask anyone here for explanations.
I'm really up for learning any programming language now, and if I get stuck again, I'll find out why I get stuck and keep asking and keep trying until I understand how it works and keep reading on...
I really wanna learn the language, and I won't give up now!
It would just be awesome if I could get the manual in an easier way and read it on whatever device I wants to.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-11-22 14:39:51

I'm sorry for dubble posting, but here is the answer to my question:
http://gridinsoft.com/chm.php
I now have the manual in a nice html file. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2011-11-22 18:19:24

Hi again.
I'm now really giving the BGT manual a serious try again, and I'm already stuck. smile
I'm reading the chapter about functions. I don't understand from overloading functions and the rest of the chapter. I see it's very important to understand how to avoid making an overloaded function, but I don't get the explanations, and the rest of the chapter about functions simply don't make sense to me.
I hope you know what part of the chapter I'm having trouble on understanding, and I really hope someone is able to explain what it means.

Best regards SLJ.

2011-11-22 21:37:37

Hi,
overloaded functions can in fact be helpful at times and there's definitely no need to avoid them. :-)
You do want to avoid a function recursively calling itself too many times but that's a different matter.
An overloaded function is two different functions with the same name and possibly similar behavior. They just need to have a different return type or parameters to take, and the compiler is then able to determine which one you are calling based on that return type and the parameters you pass to it. The example provided in the chapter should be a good one, as far as I can remember.
At this moment, I would recommend you to read the chapter about conditional statements and also possibly loops, and then you might want to have a look at the foundation layer reference and/or some of the example games, like Guess the Number, that should be a good start. This might help clear some of the confusion or it might create even more of it. LOL
I just feel it might be worth trying, so if you decide to do so, feel free to ask any further questions afterwards. :-)
Good luck,
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-11-22 22:10:59

Hi Lucas.
Well, I'm still pretty confused. I've read most of the tutorial and I'm currently looking at the memory training game. I must say that this documentation has got some nice improvements since last time I read it. I'll see if I'm able to make something useful and if I can't or if I get any questions, I'll of course ask. smile
Thanks a lot for your answer.

Best regards SLJ.

2011-11-22 22:15:04

Hi,

And don't worry if you're not able to create a game quickly. I'm sure that if you asked many of the developers, at the very start they were probably confused as hell, just like you. big_smile

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-23 01:52:47

To me what would be helpful is a sort of, show me along the way first time programming type of guide. I've got an idea burning in the back of my head. It's burning so hot, and I mean haut! that it must be coded. lol. I want to make a side scroller. I've got nearly everything I need, now it's just the coding that I can't seem to get. So if someone could please send a beginners guide to BGT this way, I'd be the happiest man on earth. I've got about 4 full! days to play with. I've even made a little soundfile on the first level if anyone is interested lol.