2011-11-15 00:35:54

Hi i no this has been posted about before but, I would like help with bgt.
for example what would you use a veriable for?
it isn't explained very well in the tutirals. or maybe it is and i'm just stupid. smile I have  more questions but i don't no what to start with or where to go to get started. i no there are tutirals in bgt but they don't seam to make sence to me. i get so far then give up because i just get soo bord and frustrated.
oh  another thing. where could i get good sounding sounds from?

sorry for the bad spelling my jaws is playing up.

I'm gone for real :)

2011-11-15 00:53:17

Hi,

Variables are there to store a number you might not even know. For example, a variable could hold the position in a 1D side scroller of an enemy. Now since you don't code an enemy to do the exact same thing over and over again, you'd randomise it. This way, you wouldn't know where it was at the moment. so instead of using numbers, you'd use this variable because... It KNOWS!
Basically, a Variable is there for storing things, like a container. You know what? I'll write a completely noob guide to BGT, just because I can. Maybe it will help someone in the end. Who's up for this idea? I'll start anyway.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-11-15 01:07:58

thanks for helping newbies like me.
who knows maybe I will be able to make the side scroller game i've always wanted to or I had another idea with a marbal where you are rolling down a track and nead to press the left and rite aros when you here a sound or you die.
thanks again you rule.

2011-11-15 01:22:44

Hi,

Hehe thanks alot. Well, that's what I've set myself my goal in my life. To help as much as I can and provide happyness to everyone. Lol!
If you have any questions, just drop them. If there is no one here to help you, I will. smile
I could make a more detailed description of variables if you'd like? Maybe the different types and all that?

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-15 01:56:53

I don't no what to start with.
i have quite a few ideas for games but have no idea where to start.
I basickly want to make a game where you are this marble or little person who has to roll or walk down this track picking up items as he or she goes.
you must defete bad guys, pick up koins, g unlock weapons and more things but i have no idea how to get started.
I no that is a lot but could you help with the newbie gguyed or osmething?
I really have no idea where to go to get sounds and where to or how to start.
thanks and sorry if this post has spelling errers in it.
my jaws is playing up.
thanks a lot.

2011-11-15 02:49:56

Hi,

I'll write a text called "Beginners Guide & Trainer", or for short... Yupp, you guessed it, BGT! Lol.
What I might do is go and create a simple guess the number game, then to a simple side scroller... While writing everything that is needed while going along. What about that? Maybe I'll find time soon enough to do it?

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-15 03:11:12

Hi,
yeah that sounds good but also could you recomend where to get good sounds from?
I'm guessing i should start with small things then go on from there. lol. i have ideas but it would be best to start small like a guess the number game.
one question that always bothered me in games is,  how do you make a room or side scrolling place?
I could never figger that out.
Isn't it something to do with x and y thingys or something?
but if that is the case, will i have to rite if x = something then blah blah blah? all the time i want my person to go into a different room or different part of the room?
I think i am thinking really to far ahead. please tell me if i am.
thanks

2011-11-15 03:15:34

Hi,

If you're just starting to code, this really isn't something you should be worrying about. What you should rather do is maybe make a simple Guess the Number or Dice program, then move upwards from there. There are a few sound libraries which are quite good, though unfortunately most of them do cost a bit. However, if purchased once, you'll have quite a few sounds... And you can start collecting. Maybe even go and try to find some on the internet? While most of them are rather poor quality, there are quite some gems laying around just waiting for you to use them... For free!

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-15 03:52:10

ahh ok i may look for them.
aww a dice game? or a number game? but they are boring! lol. yeah i will start with that to get started. can't wait  for the bgt.txt file.
bet you give very clere instructions.
hey just wondering what did you think of the tutirals?
the bgt ones.

2011-11-15 03:58:18

Hi,

I've been coding for quite a while before BGT came out, so I was able to grab it extremely quickly and get up and running within minutes of playing with it. Number and dice games might be boring, but it's simple things like that which will eventually get you that push you need to get deeper into the language. And I speak from experience. Sort of.
I'm not sure when I'll be releasing that file, as I have projects to work on myself, but I'll try to work on it, that's for sure. I guess people could take at least some use out of it.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-15 05:02:43

thanks i no i will dfenetly.

2011-11-15 07:34:01

Hi Brad and ghorthalon,
and thanks for picking up this topic before I could notice it. I'll be interested in that guide myself, not because I need it but because I have noticed many people getting excited about the engine just as if it was another audiogame Maker, then giving up with bitter disappointment because they realized it would cost more time and effort than they either possessed or were willing to invest into the learning process. For example, I have been theoretically interested in various programming languages and programming concepts in general before BGT came out but I have never really done much. I was able to write very basic stuff in the version of Basic that the Eureka A4 8-bit computer used, LOL, then I tried to move on to its Pascal and later to some version of Pascal under MS Dos (can't remember which one it was any more) while I was still quite young, like 10 or 11 or so, but of course I inevitably failed misserably wit that attempt. Then there was HTML and Autoit version 2. As soon as version 3 came out, with the overhauled syntax which made it much more powerful but also complex in turn, I was lost again. The tutorials were written in a too advanced way for my liking, again, a problem I was constantly facing at that time, assuming way too much knowledge from the learner even at the beginning, at least theoretical one. So I gave up again, although I was still only 15 or 16 or something similar. And then BGT came out out of nowhere, and in this situation, I learned it rather quickly just from the tutorial on its own. I had the first playable version of soundfall ready in less than a week, with lots of help from Philip and the other developers and testers on the BGT beta tteam at the time, but still.
So, even now, BGT is the only programming or at least advanced scripting language that I have really mastered so far. I've seen code snippets in Autoit 3, Python and now even C++ because Philip is constantly trying to convince me to start learning that, lol, but BGT is the only thing I am actually able to code in.
So I find myself just staring in a rather perplexed way when someone asks things like what a variable is... I mean, it's such a basic thing that I can't seem to be able to think of a working explanation. Whatever attempts I make, they are just simpler and different wordings of what is already said in the tutorial but it's essentially still the same thing, so I can only hope that the reworded explanation might finally make it click into place for someone. :-)
So, a variable: the language itself is quite limited, imagine it as learning a foreign language with a limited vocabulary. So you need to express every single piece of information that the game will contain in some way which you can't do with just what the language offers on its own, but that's why variables are there. You can choose one for the player's position in a sidescrolling environment, another for his health, another for his speed (so, in programming terms, how much time has to pass between him taking two steps), and so on. Then you will use this variable name in expressions rather than just typing out "player's position", "player's health" and so on. But it's not that difficult, is it? You know that you need something to keep track of the player's health, therefore that it's going to be a numeric value. There are different types of numeric variables in BGT but for now we can use just int, standing for integer, which is the basic numeric variable type. So, to create the variable, you would just type:
int player_health;
It could be whatever you wanted though, for instance:
int xyz;
would work equally as well. The name of the variable is completely up to you to decide, as long as it does not begin with a number and contain certain special characters.
So, did this make at least some more sense than the tutorial, or not yet?
Games like Guess the number or a dice rolling program are in deed boring but you can't expect yourself to start with something bigger without having mastered the fundamental concepts first. No matter how much simpler BGT is compared to a ny all-purpose programming language, it's still programming in principle. The most important thing for a newbie is to first learn the workings of the language itself so that they become second nature eventually, and this will in turn lead you to being able to imagine how to turn ideas into actual working code, but it requires time, effort, determination and, especially, practice, practice, practice... :-D
This might be discouraging but, without intending to sound harsh or anything, BGT is not meant to replace Audiogame Maker. That thing was simple as hell so you could quickly put together small simplistic limited games of more or less the same nature with it, that lacked things like being able to set any options, difficulty levels, the music volume, saving, pausing, etc, but they would still have worked and would be at least something for the kind of creative people without the programming grain in their minds to keep them busy, if it was not so horrificly bugged... But if you want to be more serious about games, you have to treat the whole process more seriously. You don't write a best selling novel with poor spelling and grammar. you don't become a rock band frontman, standing in front of the band on stage and improvising absolutely cool breath-taking guitar solos if you can only play the C major and G major chords. You don't win the Maraton if you can only manage to run for a hundred meters without losing your breath. All of these things take lots of effort, determination and practice, so not even the clearest of all the explanations in the world will make you magicaly understand it and come up with an amazing game overnight.
Hope this helps, and best of luck! Feel free to ask any specific questions if my variable explanation made you think of any, or just try to better express what still keeps you in the dark, what's the most difficult concept for you to grasp...
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-11-15 10:15:32

hello brad, ghorthalon and lucas.

i am practicing with bgt for a while right now, and i am able to write the code for:

"hello, i am mike schipper, i am 17 years old and don't you ever forget it!"

that 17 is my real age but i did it with a randomizer code. so you get this out of it for a example:

"hello, i am mike schipper, i am 47 years old and don't you ever forget it!"

i know it is a beginning, but i am also interested in the tutorial of you ghorthalon.

my oppinion about dice rolling games is very good, i like the yathzee games.

i'll overlook this topic each day ty be sure if it is already uploaded.

best of luck to you brad.

i know i am also a beginner but i wanted to wishthe other beginner also good luck, lol.

ciao

mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2011-11-15 11:30:50

Hi,

I think, if I had my 6 hour constant coding time... I wish I could have that... I'll work on that guide. Maybe I'll finish the first chapter and post it for all to read, so you can see how it would be like. Knowing me, it would be horrible. Lol!

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2011-11-15 13:42:57

Mike, what did you modify in that exercise as compared to the way it's written in the tutorial? Just curious to know where the learning curve is in that. :-)
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-11-15 15:29:28

Hi, lukas and others.
thanks for your explonations they really helped.
I am going to look at different coads and see what i can make of them.
thanks again.

2011-11-15 18:06:45

hi all,

I very much like the idea of a simple to understand guide being published. As someone rightly pointed out in an earlier post, the BGT platform was assumed by many, to be a simple to use menu driven audio game maker with a simple User interface.

So if a guide can be written, i think it will help many people in creating a new gaming experience! I am very surprised that not many people have taken an interest to this topic.

As for doing boring programs like dice, guess the number etc, unfortunetly, its something you have to do to learn programming. I spent my entire first year in university coding things like: drawing stars on the screen, adding a few numbers together, a simple calculater and guess the number! It is a boring and anoying step but it really does help to understand the basics of programming, which is what the bgt platform is based around. If i am not mistaken, it is around the c++ language?

@brad, Finally, to answer your question, a simple description for a variable is a name given to a chunk of memory in the computer. For example a computer has 2000 different memory locations and you want to have a program where you store your name and later on, you print it 5 times. now your variable is called myName. So "myName = brad"
Your name could have been stored in any of those 2000 memory spaces, but you don't need to remember the memory location because you can just refer to it as myName.

Hope that made saense and not confused anyone. Now i shall end this long post!

2011-11-15 18:07:01

That guide would help me as well, as i have games ideas floating around in my brain that i would love to create. The problem for me though is that i am unmotivated because i have not found any good sound librarys. Any pointers guys?

2011-11-15 18:19:51

hi lucas and others
referring to your question lucas i've copied the code exactly as it appears in the tutorial. and i've changed some things. the name john doe into mike schipper and the random code i've changed the ages in 17/99.

it was just simply changing some things, but it was a bit pointless as it is going about gamecreation.

just a bit of fun.

but ghorthalon i am looking forward to the first chapter

ciao

mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2011-11-15 19:45:04

If we could come up with a decent time and enough interest, we could try to start some kinda classes over Skype, or some such thing? Something to consider...

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-11-16 13:25:32

Hi, well, whenever i actually get some free time, i'm determined to give bgt a look and see how it goes. 
Programming is always something i've been interested in learning, just never really had the time or idea of where to start before.  Hmmm... i wonder if the tutorial is split into chapters yet?  if not, then i believe your guide will help a heck of a lot ghorthalon.  I don't have many sounds at all, however i doubt i'd need many at first to be honest as obviously i'm going to have to experiment with something simple which many great things start as. big_smile

2011-11-16 21:15:17

Hi,
The BGT syntax is most definitely c-style language through and through: however, it is not actualyl based around C++, but rather Angelscript, which looks quite similar but has some distinct differences. For example, BGT's main function is void as opposed to the int main() function in C++. You also do not have to make function prototypes before the main function if the actual function does not appear there.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-11-17 10:43:24

Hi.
A totally newbie guide will indeed be very welcome here. I find myself being stuck from time to time in any programming language, because I don't have any idea on how to write what I want into some pease of code. I simply don't know what varible i have to use, what pease of code which is best for the tasc I wanna make and how I should set up my code so it's easy for me to modify later on.So a totally newbie guide would be really awesome and it would help many people. I think this is really what is missing and have been missed in ages.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-11-17 12:42:16

Agreed SLJ. 
i have no problem experimenting however witha program language, its something you definitely have to learn and its kind of dificult to do when the current tutorial is just one incredibly long file with no tracks or chapters.  although i guess i could just redownload wynnamp and jump back and forth to wherever i wanted? smile

2011-11-17 14:36:50

Well, personally I would never read a manual like this in audio. Because english is not my standard language, I have to be able to spell some words I find difficult either in Braille or by speech with a screenreader. However that's a personal choice.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen