2008-02-24 01:35:20

All seems quiet on the SoundRTS front, I sincerely hope he continues.

Personally the one big thing that put me off Terraformers is the time limit between recharges. In the demo I accidentally knocked a key during an audio message, and tried listening to it again... only to die. Perhaps they should either freeze the timer or something during messages or forget the whole thing.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-02-24 03:36:18

Terraformers is stil in my "games I really need to try properly" pile, ---- though I will agree, the price is certainly at the very very upper end of my range, and as I said before in this thread, I did find the navigation in the demo a tad frustrating. for navigation in full 3D I stil say the gma engine rocks!

Sinse I posted my own top ten quite a long while ago and their have been some more recent developements in games, i'll post a few additions (though i stil agree with my past self, lol!).

the 7-128 games as John said, extensive help, self voicing, simple but with nice background music and full audio sound clips, entertaining, easy to pick up and play, and quite rewarding to the new player I think.

Mota from Usa games, simple controls and no need of extensive learning of sounds or hard navigation as in something like shades, ----- remember with the more complex 3d stuff we have now like sarah, we forget how complex shades seems to someone unfamiliar with audio games).

I wouldn't recommend sound rts for aa newby, rather complex and requiring a lot of mental mapping skills, ---- not anyway until those very extensive tutorials which soundmud mentioned have been released. For a starting stratogy game I'd recommend final conflict from usa.

the sounds are good, it's self voicing, it's turn based (so time to check help mid game), and it's free. I must admit that Trek 2000 is probably the only audio game I regret buying, sinse Stfc has just done the same thing better, used the next gen sounds (which sutes me as I'm far more a next gen than original series fan), is self voicing and much less complex to learn and play.

Imho gma should really update trek 2000 with missions, more sounds, more features or at least something for a better playing experience, --- though saying that, anything from gma whatsoever these days would be nice.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-02-25 14:01:38

1 SHADES OF DOOM
2 CRAZY DARTS
3 HUNTER
4 PIPE 2 BLAST CHAMBER
5 TECHNOSHOCK (ASSUMING THEY PLAYED SHADES OF DOOM)
6 tTANK COMMANDER
7 ALEAN OUTBACK
8 PACKMAN TALKS
9 DRAGON WARRIOR
10 DARK DESTROYER

2008-02-25 14:03:31

OO, MAN, WHAT THE HELL!
i cCHILLINGHAM AND GRIZERLY GULCH,

2008-02-25 15:12:46 (edited by dark empathy 2008-02-25 15:15:24)

technoshock? we don't want to terrify newbies that! much do we? while the game is great, it is quite a struggle in the difficulty department I find, ---- and with getting used to full 3D as well, might be quite daunting to a newby, ---- such would be my thought anyway.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-05-19 04:08:41

My favorite game is warcrafte3 .

2008-05-19 23:47:13

Um that isn't a "blind accessible" game, as far as I'm aware at least.

If it was I would want to know, I loved the first two warcraft games (and starcraft) before I lost my sight. Not sure about the third though, it might have gone down the pan and got silly.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-05-31 04:00:11

1. Grisley Gulch
2. Wingolf
3. Super Liam
4. Deekout
5. Top Speed
6. Lone Wolf
7. Super Deekout (assuming you've played Deekout)
8.  Light Cars
9. Dark Destroyer
10. Alter Aeon

Let me just say on behalf of lone Wolf that you learn how to play by reading the manual and no game teaches you to read the manual like that one, plus I find submarine adventure games really fun so I may be biased.

2010-05-19 04:52:44

i also love the game of showdown. laser marking

a laser pointer is good thing for enjoyment, and high power green laser pointer can be used in astronomy, military and scientific research.

2010-05-19 06:40:29

To be honnest, I wouldn't recommand 3D games for complete newbies. You have to concentrate both on game stuff and on navigation stuff in the same time, which is not so easy. They should come much later, when the player has already somewhat experience with simpler games.

Here is my list :
1. Drive
2. Keyboard crazy or games like that one
3. Tarzan junior or another simple sidescroller
4. Dark Destroyer or another simple shouter game
5. Top speed (this is not really 3D)
6. Monopoly or other board/social games
7. Why not my Magic blocks ? It is not so hard and could become interesting

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2010-05-19 07:30:36

Actually revisiting this topic now there are several changes in games recently which probably need a rethink.

for instance, as the bavisoft games do not run on post-xp windows, they seem far less of a good idea now. However, with vip mud, muds are far easier to setup and play without the difficulties of tangling with other clients.

then, Rs monopoly and the Blind adrenalin card room offer some great takes on traditional games, and indeed as you say, Magic blocks offers a fairly symple varient on a classic game, as indeed does rebound from gamevial (pluss that doesn't even need downloading).

Oh, and we probably shouldn't forget Kringle crash, ---- free, fast, and funny, or possibly Q9 (though possibly the difficulty might put newbies off, ---- I'm not sure).

Even Jim kitchin has more stuff now, ---- look at puppy1, a basic arcade plane shooter, but great for calculating distance, ---- heck, even the Unification wars brouser game I wrote up a game entry page for yesterday has probably the most interesting and newby friendly intro and tutorial of any brouser based stratogy game I've ever seen! and how about the gamebook sites Fighting fantasy project or Age of fable? ---- just read descriptions, click and go with all dice rolling handled for you.

All in all this needs a rethink I believe.

2010-05-19 14:13:06

I'm not sure if this topic is for nobies!
And I have a totally changed list witch doesn't work good for nobies:
1. Sarah and the castle of witchcraft and wizardry
2. Entombed
3. Technoshock
4. Monkey bisniss
5. GMA Tank Commander
6. Shades of doom
7. Super Liam
8. MOTA
9. Treasure Hunt
10. Super football

LOL, that list can you not take away, all of these games are very, very good, also the demos (because I don't own all of these)!
I can't understand why SCW don't fit in to this list, someone here is probably mad LOL!
SCW=Sarah and the castle of witchcraft
and wizardry (installation name from Draconis)

Dark or CX2 or richard, please can you remove skybells klockregn because it is an swedish baby game from the game list!?

Please do not comment Sarah, I love the demo and decided to buy it today, when my mum is comming home!

Audiogames has entered a new era. With blockbusters such as bk2, swamp, perilous hearts and the soon-to-come road to rage, audiogames takes a new shape. High quality sounds, multiplayer and very sufficiant AI is audiogames next step towards attention. The world is about to change so cheer with me, hurray!

2010-05-19 14:26:30

Small point here:
The first poster who resurrected this topic has a suspicious link in there, so is in all likelihood a spammer. That said there is no reason this couldn't be revisited.

I'd personally consider two categories right now, newbies to audio games and newbies to accessible computing entirely.

For those new to games but not computers I'd definitely say things like TS2 and Monopoly as good starting points.

For those new to accessible computing entirely I'd suggest things like Jim Kitchens' Hangman game and other very simple games, to build confidence with the keyboard and menus.

cx2
-----

2010-05-19 14:50:25

Love computer, this topic was for suggesting games for new players, not which games you personally think are good, ---- a good game though it is I certainly wouldn't recommend Sarah for a newby, sinse it's got very complex audio and navigation.

As for the database, remember it's a database of all! accessible games (or at least all those we find), not merely games people like. This includes educational games for children, trivia games, hangman and other traditional games etc. Heck, I've played and written up pages for games that in no way appeal to me personally on plenty of occasions, ---- certainly I didn't find any of the Games for the blind sv titles particularly astounding for instance.

That being said, if Skybells Clocregn is indeed an educational game for children, I'll be glad to change it's genre classification. I will admit I've not tried Skybells myself, ---- not the least because I don't speak any sweedish.

2010-05-19 15:06:37

Very true, we can't judge based on quality or the like. Even Triple J Shooter qualified, and if you've tried it you will know what I mean when I say some people would probably have been very glad to see it not included. I even had to give it a try so I could write up properly about it, something I won't be forgetting in a hurry.

cx2
-----

2010-05-19 15:40:17

definitely lightcars, its avesome easy game. and some bop-it-style-games. and hmmm, maibe some textadventures?

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-05-19 19:34:41

Sorry, I only saw the dates right now. This topic is actually out of date, as you said. Such a list has to be rethough, you're right.

It's time to make a suggestion : it could be interesting to add a complete vote system to the database. Members could grade the games in different categories. It's more interesting than the simple favouriting system there is currently (you can't even sort the game list by number of favourites, making this function not really useful in fact).

There could be 3 or 4 grade categories : ease of use, (re)playability/gameplay, graphism (of course for graphism, it would in fact be the audio or more generally sens experience,  , I have no idea how to call that), social experience for multiplayer games, ...

For a newby, you could  propose the 10 first games in the list sorted by ease of use for example... and experienced players could have some suggestions on what they could try next as well.

2010-05-19 21:17:14

Actually, giving the games * ratings on different catagories is a rather good notion indeed, though I'm not sure how much hastle it would be for Richard and Sander to code in to the current database.

This would also be nice to take into account factors such as how reasonable the player community might be in a mud or online game, ---- something which isn't always easy to say just based on the reviews written.

for the "sense experience" catagory, I suggest either ambience or atmosphere, sinse it's not fair to complain that text games have no audio, --- or audio action games have no description, where as a general ambience or atmosphere wrating could be applicable to the medium in which the game is presented.

Might I suggest amineel writing this up in the admins suggestion forum, where A, it can be discussed independently of newby suggestions, and B, it'll be more obvious for people to comment on than a single post in a long topic.

2010-05-19 22:55:50 (edited by Aminiel 2010-05-20 19:20:50)

Actually, giving the games * ratings on different catagories is a rather good notion indeed, though I'm not sure how much hastle it would be for Richard and Sander to code in to the current database.

It should not be a problem. If it is php and SQL, I could even help if they want.

This would also be nice to take into account factors such as how reasonable the player community might be in a mud or online game, ---- something which isn't always easy to say just based on the reviews written.

Yes, that's what I though about when mentionning "social". But it's not only appliquable to multiplayer games. A community could exist outside of the fact that a game is multiplayer or not. For example, there could be a community who create new levels or mods for the game, or just  one to give advices for complex games (example : entombed is not multiplayer but it has a specific mailing list)

for the "sense experience" catagory, I suggest either ambience or atmosphere, sinse it's not fair to complain that text games have no audio, --- or audio action games have no description, where as a general ambience or atmosphere wrating could be applicable to the medium in which the game is presented.

Right. IT has to be the most general possible.

Might I suggest amineel writing this up in the admins suggestion forum, where A, it can be discussed independently of newby suggestions, and B, it'll be more obvious for people to comment on than a single post in a long topic.

Right. I'll do it tomorrow.
EDIT : Done there : http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=3697

2010-05-22 08:39:14

I want to go out on a limb and say that I think Entombed is a great game for new players that I believe has been overlooked.  It has an easy interface that wouldn't take too m*fh time to learn and any newbie would gain confidence in playing a game that is difficult but one they can find playable.  I also really like Magic Blocks, but I do think a 3-D game would be good for a newbie simply because I think they need a taste of what an audio game really is.  Not suggesting TechnoShock, mind you, that would just have them in a mess.  I would say SOD is probably the best for starting out with those--not to clash too hard with my earlier top 10.  One more thing, BTW I consider myself a pretty decently experienced audio gamer, but I can't figure out Esp pinball.  Am I an idiot and this game is good for newbies?  I'm not so sure it is.

2010-05-22 13:51:16

I found the pinball games difficult too.

If people find corridors tricky to keep track of, I do, tank commander is a good alternative to shades of doom.

Entombed is really not hard but the maze like maps might confuse people some, so maybe not a good idea for their first game but a good thing to try when you've got some basic confidence.

cx2
-----

2010-12-06 11:07:09

if the laser pointer is as the same as Lone Wolf ? I wanna to know much about them.

2010-12-15 11:09:32

Hello gamers,

This is my first post here so I am sincerely hoping I don't do anything wrong or offend anyone. I wasn't sure where to post first as the guest area didn't look quite right. I was sent to this forum by one of the players at New Worlds Ateraan. What we call a TORG but most of you refer to as a MUD. Anyway, as the Administrator of a very popular text game, I hope I can answer some questions they said came up here and also personally invite any of you who are into fantasy roleplaying to try the game.

I came here specifically to let you know some reasons why NWA is very popular in the audio community.

1st, we have a staff and guides to assist new players.

2nd, the new player staff lead is a blind player who is well versed in VIPMud, scripts, and triggers for those who use JAWS and similar programs.

3rd, we have a specific group on the game called the BPU (blind players union) who have a large voice in what happens on the game.

4th, the chief of staff has a child that is blind and it is one of the reasons for our strong commitment to betterment of the audio gaming community.

Truly NWA is an incredible roleplaying experience that hundreds have found a home at.
I'm not going to give the link in this post (please let me know if you would like a link) but hope that it will make it into your top ten some day.

Thanks for your time. If any of you have heard of NWA or played there I'd be interested to know.

TORG - Text Only Roleplaying Game,
The Best Roleplaying is Character Driven Text Roleplaying
New Worlds Ateraan - http://www.ateraan.com/overview.html

2010-12-15 12:27:07

A new topic would have been more appropriate but your post in general is very welcome. Links are perfectly acceptable so long as they're on topic, whether or not you're affiliated with the game in question doesn't make a difference for the acceptability of the link.

cx2
-----

2010-12-15 22:27:19

Sorry cx2, I will be sure to make a new thread.

TORG - Text Only Roleplaying Game,
The Best Roleplaying is Character Driven Text Roleplaying
New Worlds Ateraan - http://www.ateraan.com/overview.html