2011-10-18 09:37:14

Hello all,

Just wondering if any blind or visually impaired folk are playing fantasy football right now. This is the first season I'm playing and I'm having a blast.
Anyway, I'm really curious to talk to other blind, visually impaired people who also play. (smile)
writerbugg

A Writer's Soap Box blog
http://www.soapbox00.blogspot.com
Blossom Book Reviews blog
http://www.blossomreviews.blogspot.com

2011-10-19 13:27:41

hello there

i play the barclays premier league version,   and have been playing for 8 years, what league do you play in?,   also do you no of an accessible football manager game?

please say yes and heres the link lol

2011-10-19 14:02:52

Just as a note, please could people remember football means different things in different countries.

For instance in the Uk and europe, "football" fantasy or otherwise means socker not American football.

There are a couple of noteable football (ie socker), management games online such as hattric (which has a database entry), see the games online page at www.whitestick.co.uk for details, and also to see some other accessible sports management online games like a baskit ball manager, rugby manager and cricket manager.

For specifically American Football, I'm afraid I don't know, though I imagine there's something around somewhere sinse there are brouser based games for managing just about everything else sports wise (many mods of Hattric in fact).

not being a massive sports fan myself, I'm afraid I've not looked into such things too much.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-10-20 07:26:22

I'll probably set tempers off by saying this, but you know, I never understand  why it is that people can ask a simple question and get long and snarky answers back.

As to my post, why can't people just ask, which kind? Sheesh.

I really would like to say more, but I'm afraid of setting something off. So I'll simply say I've withdrawn my question. If people can't respect me as an American and my use of terms, then I'll quietly and politely bow out and find people that will.

Thank you.

A Writer's Soap Box blog
http://www.soapbox00.blogspot.com
Blossom Book Reviews blog
http://www.blossomreviews.blogspot.com

2011-10-20 09:12:11

mmmm, writerbug, I think you may have picked me up entirely the wrong way on this one. I had no intention at all to be "snarky" only to make the difference reasonably clear, sinse while as I said I have heard of games like Hatric and football manager, it may not be what you want if your looking for American football.

In the past we have had a litle confusion over this as regards the couple of accessible football games out there, hence why I wanted to make certain.

I'm sorry if my comment came across as sarcastic, it certainly wasn't intended to be.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-10-20 22:16:36

hello

i must admit i thought you were posting about european football,   as for the nfl jim kitchens nfl football manager game is really good,    so if you have not played it give it a go its listed in the database .

at dark

i am a big fan of sports management sims but i dont no why i cannot abide broswer games,   i just cant seem  to navigate the page properly,  i have tried 3,   truckz,  hat trick and monster breeder and found them laborious, thus making it hard work so i stay clear of "browser" games.

i am always on the look out for sports sims and hopefully someone will post an accessible 1 in the near future.

2011-10-21 10:30:30

Playing brouser games was actually how I learnt so much about navigating pages with hal, using find functions etc. It is true that if you just rely upon hammering the tab key to navigate you won't get on as well, but most screen readers have far more complex tools available.

In core exiles for instance (which does have a relatively complex layout), I use Ha's commands to skip to a given button, skip to a given link or edited area as well as jumping by paragraph or frame, and make extensive use of the find function which is fantastic, sinse you can just type in some text and be taken there.

I'd suggest looking through the Jaws manual or talking to more serious Jaws users about speeding up the process, sinse there are some rather good brouser games available.

Perhaps start with something with a relatively simple layout to get some practice, such as one of the legend of the green dragon type games which is in fact where I began myself.

Obviously some brouser games are just uninteresting or long winded, but I would make absolutely sure it is the game, and not your navigation skills that is making the difference.

This is especially true of games with fairly complex pages.

2011-10-21 16:21:29

long-minded games? like strategyes?

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-10-22 16:54:42

hi dark,
hi dark,

its my lack of knowledge of jaws that stops me playing browser games,  and to be honest i dont think i have the brains to soak all the information in,  come on you no how bad my punctuation is.

2011-10-22 19:51:11

Well I don't want to get into a debate on this, but someone did recently tell me that Jaws' quick navigation shortcuts were harder to find and more of a pain to use than Hal's, mostly due to jaws' habbit of simplifying and changing layout rather than letting you work within an existing layout, something I certainly found when I experimented with Jaws myself.

For instance with Hal, hitting e with the dolphin curser on a web page skips you streight to the next edit area. Thus, in this forum, I just hit E, then tab back a few times to my own last post and read from there.

Skipping down to main content on pages like wikipedia entries is as simple as hitting ctrl down arrow, or occasionally page down if it's a frame, the find function of Hal is also invaluable etc. While I'm fairly certain Jaws has such quick navigation methods, how obvious they are I don't know.

@buclee, Long winded is an expression meaning unnecessarily long and boring. When I described some brouser games as "long winded" I meant that some are imho pretty uninteresting requiring significant amounts of grinding or many clicks to accomplish even fairly simple tasks.

This could apply to brouser rpgs (I have certainly seen some more boring ones), or stratogy games, it's much more a question of how well the game is designed and how much there is for the player to do.