2011-09-17 21:21:47

are there any audiobook fans here,   i am currently waiting for george r r martins neew book a dance with dragons book does anyone now when it is out also i a waiting for christopher paolinis new book in the eragon series.

any recommendations would be welcome

2011-09-17 21:43:06

I'm also weighting on the next book that christopher weight come up in the eragonbooks. I haven't even read any by the other writer. As for me liking audio books, I like audio books.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-09-17 23:22:33

hello cw

if you fancy reading the a song of ice and fire series i will put them on dropbox for you and email the link i have bought 4 books up to now and they are amazing george r r martin is a legend.

i am after stephen erikson and james barclay books at the moment i cant seem to find  them anywhere

2011-09-18 02:36:02

the twilight series is a mockery of the vampire genre!
turning blood-thirsty beasts into  kind, emotional loving humanlike creatures is just wrong!
I'm all for modernization, but  putting a 15 year old girl with a 900 year old vampire? absolutely ludicrus

2011-09-18 03:55:08

I've been using my Audible account solely for the Wheel of Time series. I recently finished book 6, and heard that book 7 is even less eventful, but things start to pick up again in book 8. Heh, I think there's a reason that publishers almost never take giant epic fantasy novels from new authors.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-09-18 05:30:44

Moderation.

officially, we can't really have people posting links to copywrited material on the forum.
Unofficially, at least where books are concerned, sinse audio books are such a pain in the kneck to get hold of (especially outside the united states, believe me I've had 20 years trying), we cannot stop people from E-mailing links to each other, but just to avoid getting us into trouble please don't post stuff on the forum.

Note though that this is quite different to games and anyone we catch sending around pirated game links in any way shape or form will be in deep trouble, sinse as all audio games devs just work in their spare time, and sound libraries, developement libraries and the like cost money, piracy could potentially destroy people's ability to make games!

Okay, that's the serious bit over.
For me, wheel of time goes through a massive slump in books 5-9, too many characters i didn't really care about (what has Jordan got against killing off or at least retiring characters?), events that go in circles, situations where so much shenanigans could've been saved if two characters (especially couples), just dam well trusted each other! and don't even get me start on the badguys, who spend so much time mucking about attempting to back stab each other and not really doing anything that bad, i actually sometimes wonder how evil some of them are (in fact for much of the series I find rand rather more detestable than the so called forsaken).

Saying that, books 11, 12, and 13 really picked the series up very well and are actually bringing it to conclusion, so I'll be looking forward to the final book next year.

Fantasy wise, other than the master aka tokien, ---- though arguably his books shouldn't really be classed as fantasy but as historical novels, my other favourite author is tad williams.

Beautiful in style, with extremely well thought out worlds and Brilliant characters, complex plots, badguys who have great motivation, and not just following lots of the old fantasy sterriotypes (I do hate books where you can pretty much guess the character class of everyone at first appearence!), tad williams is just plane awsome!

Also anyone who can write two completely different medeval fantasy series, a modern techno fantasy, an animal book similar to watership down, a horor story and a near future semi sf epic, all of which are amazingly good and equally readable has deffinately got my vote.

I'm afraid I wasn't impressed by the Eragon books at all. Every character seemed predictable in the extreme, the world was pretty much just standard D&D land with no interesting twists, and a lot of elements seemed knicked from other places, ---- eg, 13 forsworn dragon riders like the 13 forsaken in the wheel of time.

I tend to like my fantasy a litle less generic. Though they weren't the worst thing I've read (that award is reserved for terry brooks), I've read better.

George R R martin is deffinately on my list of people to read, though getting his stuff in the uk isn't easy.

I'd also recommend anything by Dianna wynne Jones, sort of the harry potter before there was harry potter, Ian M banks, bleak but very epic scifi with amazing writing, Niel gayman, a range of stuff from modern fantasy to shear weerdness, William Horwood's duncton wood series about moles (imho far better than watership down), Lois McMaster Bujolt's vorKosigan books, great imperial sf about warring houses, and David eddings, ---- at least his earlier works like the belgariad (only to book five), and the elenium (to book 3), which are rolocking good fun, nicely written and rather humerous, even though you know for certain the goodguys will always triumph.

There are actually lots more but if I start on about books I like we'll be here for ever, ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-09-18 10:09:58

@robla: I agree with you 100% on the twilight series, though I'll restrain from using um such strong words to describe my feelings about it tongue

@Anthony: A dance with dragons has been released last month or something. A song of ice and fire isn't for the faint of heart though. I've been trying to decide if I should try it or not. Regarding stephen erikson's books (if you're referring to malazan book of the fallen), I found a tape version of the first book and I almost threw up in disgust at the narator's quality. It was so bad that I gave up reading 15 minutes in. Unless audible releases a professionally-narated version, I'll pass on it.

@Dark: Agreed on what you wrote about WoT, though I gave up halfway at winter's heart. It was so boring at that point that I just couldn't force myself to continue; maybe when I'm out of something to read, I should just skip to book 11 tongue. Just read Edding's bulgariad series and I found it much better than its sequel, the Mallorian. Haven't tried the other one yet though.

I've heard good things about Tad Williams as well, though I've yet to try his books. Apparently, the plot takes a while to pick up and I'm afraid I'm not the kind of person who is patient enough to wait for the good parts tongue

2011-09-18 12:30:07

gello

i would just like to say all my books were bought legally amd i would have loaned them on the express rule of deletion when read.

thanks lauren for the advice on twilight i tried to listen to that and nearly threw up 50 pages in however i can understand why young girls would like it.

as for wheel of time i am currently on book 2 and it is boring the pants off me does it get better?

i will try tad williams i think next

oh i really enjoyed the rift war saga by raymond e fiest

2011-09-18 12:38:25

Well victorious, probably because of lack of availability, I very! rarely stop in the middle of a book or a series though I might have a break. WoT I found I needed to break off and read other stuff occasionally sinse there were too many books that didn't progress the plot and too many random circles, but things did at least pickup at book 11.

That wasn't something I found with tad williams at all, ---- and I actually read the memory sorrow and thorn series in braille first off, so of couse things took longer. Like Babylon 5 that series has a part at the start which is setup, but that's one of the advantages, that the evil dictator king doesn't start off! as evil, you get to see him corrupted.

His other series tended to follow a different approach and throw you in at the deepend, especially the otherland books.

For david eddings, his stuff is not particularly serious. The badguys are terminally sstupid, the goodguys have roclocking good fun stopping them, and nobody really ever is in danger. There's a wonderful point where they're all locked in a dungeon about to be horribly sacrificed and the comment is "so, ---- when are we leaving?"

It's the humour and light hearted style that really make the books worth reading. The only problem is, David eddings does suffer from too many sequals syndrome, that's why I'd just advice people to read the first series of each set he wrote and leave the others, sinse the sequals don't tend to be as good as the originals. Thus just! the belgariad and not the malorean, and Just! the elenium and not the tanulai etc.

Another author I read recently and completely enjoyed was a lady called pamela bell, who wrote a treology of three books, the Silver city, The Wolf Within and Blood imperial.

The silver city is completely awsome, and one of the few instances where I've seen someone right an extremely realistic barbarian character who is at the same time incredibly capable. It also has a great twist on magic, that magicians need to take an addictive drug to maintain their powers which causes them to age early, and if they stop taking it they die horribly. The different societies and political situations are really well born out so that you get a distinct sense of the world.

Sadly the two other books in the series sort of go off at a tangent, and start on a huge wrant about adult relationships betwene men and women of various lands, though even betwene this you've got a great story going on over several years.

this is deffinately a more adult set and not for the faint of heart, but certainly at least the first book is extremely good and distintly worth reading.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-09-18 14:30:08

hmm.books and audio books.
Well I don't want to create another topic,but I might go a little off topic here.so I do apologise in advance.
The first and the only audio book I heard was of the harry potter all the seven books,by jim dale. and a little of the kristomancy books. didn't spelled that well. I usually like to read books with eloquence for the reasons I've even said before. it expresses the things well. if the books are written properly.
I usually like to read horrour ,and wars and battles stuff.for example the richard sharpe books,although they got a little repetative after a few books.
The 2 books I like the most in horrour though,you can't call it that much of a horrour , american gods by neal giman,and the neverwhere
so I'm just looking for some suggestions to read. some world war II battle books,or something like that.
O yeah. I've also read the falcon banner which thanks to dark I came to knew about,btw any other books like that one? and animorfs of which I've read all the 61 books.lol. and I've read each at least 2 to 3 times.
Too long,suppose will end it.will be looking forward to your suggestions,and sorry for highjacking the topic.lol.Thanks
Grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2011-09-18 17:31:49

I have to disagree about synths. Though I can read with orphius if I have to (the falcon banner series was one of those times I had to), I myself much prefer a human, the expression and quality of writing just don't come across as well even with the best syth to me, but to each his own.

I also muuuuuuch! prefer Steven Fry's reading of the potter books, because steven fry is awsome! in fact the books almost become one man dramas sinse you can virtually tell every character just by changes in his voice, such is the showing to me of a good reader, who performs the book and adds texture.

I have to agree about niel gayman, his stuff is fantastic.

i find the sharpe books do! go on a bit, ---- in fact the way sharpe got stuck into battles by random circumstances in later books was just insane, such as when he just happened! to end up at the battle of trafalga with Lord Nelson, I was waiting for him to get cryogenically frozen then woken up just in time for the first world war ;D.

I actually have recently come to really enjoy some of cornwell's other stuff, like his Arthurian warlord series and his American civil war series, though some things like his Saxon books I have yet to read.

one of the best books about war, ---- and specifically about naval warfare I've ever read is Nicholas monserat's book Running proud.

it's about a sailor in Francis Drake's fleet who sailed againnst the Spanish armada, but jumped ship before the actual battle.

For this an old Scotish witch cursed him to sale the seas forever, so the book basically involves his adventures through the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries as he sales around the world.

Some is themed around piracy (in the real historical sense), like when he gets mixed up with Captain Henry morgan, other parts are themedd around the workings of the admiralty when he ends up becoming assistant to Smual peeps.

The book finishes of course with him as assistant to Lord nelson.

Historically it's amazingly accurate, even told in the language of the time. This makes it slightly difficult to read, but at the same time very authentic in the way it's executed. The author even lived on Naval time while writing it, getting up at five each mornin and drinking a half pint of rum before sitting down to write (yes, he was a bit mad!).

Not an easy book, but very rewarding.

2011-09-18 19:44:50

is there a way to download audiobooks on the internet free?

2011-09-18 21:00:36

Hi Narf.

it depends what you mean. if you mean commercially available ones for free, ---- well we can't exactly discuss such things here on the forum without potentially getting into trouble.

if you mean just good books in general, there are a lot of really gread audio dramas, podcast audio fiction and the like which are donation only.

For a list see www.whitestick.co.uk's audio books page.

I particularly recommend The secret world chronicle found here a great take on the super hero idea, but with heroes who are very different, The corridor a free podcast audio novel, very much in the same vane as niel Gayman's writing, concerning travel betwene multiple worlds complete with fantastic creatures, secret organizations and a mysterious ruler of reality called the podromos.

Also The solar clipper series a set of books themed around inter planetary space travel an trade, about the life of an ordinary crewman who works his way up ranks to eventually become owner of the hole company.

Lastly, there are several great free audio dramas kicking about. There is www.darkerprojects.com which hosts a load of great free sf and horror type stuff, ---- partiularly I'd recommend the byron chronicles. The leviathan chronicles is another really good audio drama series, about secret societies of immortals, spies and aliens, and lastly there are Varient frequencies and Theatre of the midnight sun which have some great surreal and horror stories running from sf to post apocalyptic.

These are just a selection of some personal favourites, a quick search of www.podiobooks.com can turn up more.

2011-09-18 21:56:51

ah   bernard cornwell

griff   the arthorian series and the grail quest are great the sharp series is poor in my opinion however i have not tackeled the saxon wars yet.

one of my other fav writers is brandon sanderson check out

alantris
the mist born trilogy
the stormlight archive (truly awsome)

as for horror  james herbert will be top notch forever.

2011-09-19 10:11:59

James herbert I find a litle hit and miss. His stuff that is closer to pure sf and horror like domane and portent I rther like, but his stuff which is more mystery I'm less keen on. Also I do always find his endings a litle disappointing in his lack of climax.

niel gayman is not strictly a horror writer, his books are much closer to surreal fantasy. other worlds, monsters, changes in perception etc. For instance American Gods is built around the idea that all the old gods people have believed in over the ages like Odin, zeus etc stil exist, but are weakening in power through lack of belief sinse people are now worshipping new gods like media and technology.

Not a lot in te book is traditional horror, but much is very strange and surreal, especially the main character ;D.

As to bernard cornwell, I loved the arthurian books myself. Sharpe was where I started, but I haven't read any of those recently, so can't really give an informed opinion. The starbuck books though about the American civil war are! fairly awsome though, especially sinse the hero in that isn't a professional soldier, just someone who gets mixed up in the war for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I haven't come across the sanderson chap, I'll have to investigate.

2011-09-19 14:58:22 (edited by bcs993 2011-09-19 15:00:35)

Hi,
The "Sanderson chap" is the guy who is continueing with the wheel of time books, after Jordan's death.
I first started on WOT some 3 years ago, and dismissed it as stupid at first, but later I gave it another try, and since then I was completely fasanated. I finished the first 11 books in a little less than 2 months. About the boring parts: yeah there's a lot of them, especially around the 10th book, I think. Anyway, the story gripped me so much that I just had to go through those faster to get to the more lively parts.
I personally enjoyed the Sharp series a lot, but haven't read anything else from Cornwall yet. I completed the Mist Born triligy, but I still don't quite know what to make of it. But without giving away any spoilers, I think it ended rather strangely.
Have anyone here ever read some of Stephen King's books? If so, what do you make of him?

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2011-09-19 15:45:43

Hi bcs.

Ah, that is sanderson. After the WoT last few books, I'd like to read more of his stuff, though sadly getting it over here in england won't be easy as with a lot of things.

WoT I did enjoy in many places, the truly huge world and it's fashions I thought were exceptionally well done, and I also liked the way instead of inventing more and more random countries for the characters to visit, something David Eddings' later books and the Sword of truth series are rather guilty of, it was all contained in the same group of nations you saw at the start of the series.

That I appreciated distinctly, as I did the way that even palces only a few miles from one another were very different.

What annoyed me mostly with WoT were the characters. Many seemed to fall into relationships, then never trust eachother (I wanted to hit various couples with a stick), everyone seemed to just go round and round in their plots where as if they just got round a table and talked!

The badguys were about as bad, in fact a lot of the time the so called big evil nasty forsaken didn't really seem that bad as they spent so much time trying to pull off some interminable plot against each other (who's details you don't even know), that accept for Semirog (appologies for misspelling, I mean the very sadistic lady), they never really did anything truly evil at all.

In fairness some characters were awsome! egwane's various troubles with the ais sidai was great, as was Nineave, even though the hole thing with Lan just seemed to be there because Jordan prefers to write about couples sniping at each other than single people.

In fact generally i found the female characters much more fun to read about than the male characters, ---- accept perin in the earlier parts of the books before he went and got married.

I also have not heard of the mistborn trilogy either.

As to steven King, I've read lots by him. some of his stuff is fantastic, and truly amazing as good as Niel gayman for surreal fantasy, ---- especially his dark tower series and some of the books like insomnea that tie into it.

Some of his books I just find rather slowand irritating, with also a bit of an unnecessary concentration on characters being unpleasant at each other.

Apparently though, much of the stuff I don't like by King, such as the tommynockers and Misery were actually written when he was suffering really seriously as an alcohollic, which I suppose shows that when he's ontop of his game, his stuff comes out well, but not when he's off.

2011-09-19 16:48:30

Hi dark
Have to agree on the characters, though, personally I think that mistrust came more from the women than the men, but some of them are also guilty. For example, elane refusing to tell Rand what she was up to, around book 4 or 5.
Also the female characters, especially the Ais Sidi annoyed me with their attempts the control the world or Rand, and never managing etc.
My faiverat character is deffinately Matt, his way and attitude towards people is unusual, compared to the other males. And something always happens with him around smile
About Stephen King, I read Under the Dome, the Tallasman and the black house.
I like the complete unexpected ending of Under the dome, but didn't, so much, enjoy the two others. I should give the Dark tower series a try sometime.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.

2011-09-19 18:55:17

The only King book I've read is The Shining, and for a while after that the only others I heard details of sounded more disturbing, so I've been rather reluctant to look into anything else of his (though I've been told that the like of the Dark Tower is worth looking into).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-09-19 18:56:22

I haven't read those king books, though interestingly enough Talisman and Black house are not just king, they were colaborations with a chap called Peter Straub, so maybe you will like king's own stuff better.

i must confess the only thing I've read by Peter Straub, a short story in a collection of horror I wasn't too keen on.

For mistrust in the wheel of time it just seems everyone! Rand doesn't trust anyone, neither does Mat for that matter. Couples constantly think that the partner is up to no good, no nation trusts each other, even Mat Perin and Rand don't trust each other much of the time.

I didn't mind when it was one person like Mat with the dagger curse in the first couple of books, but when it seems to be the hole cast?

The other thing that irritates me about jordan is that he constantly wants to keep characters going to the point where you've got so many people you barely care about many of them, that's why I liked book eleven it finally! got rid of some people, like those annoying black aja who just kept constantly failing and any self respecting evil leader should've slaughtered a long time ago, and the shydo rebels.

And don't even get me started on rand and his three wives!

While I enjoyed much about the series, there was a lot that exasperated me as well, I am however pleased that things seem to be very much improving with the books following 10, so I'm hopeful of a really good end to things.

This is apposed to the sword of truth by Terry goodkind which I read recently, and which, after a really nice first book just continued getting worse with each subsequent book in the series.

Again, this is why I like Tad williams. He doesn't write constant series that go on forever, he does end things, and everything he's done is of a pretty consistant quality whatever genre he's writing in.

I can't think of many writers with as good a track record as that.

2011-09-19 19:07:20

the ending of mistborn  was a bit strange but you must admit the books were fantastic alantris is pretty good too but none have a patch on sandersons the stormlight archive i cannot wait for the 2nd book of the series i urge anyone to get it.

king   hmmmmmmmmmm

2011-09-19 19:55:44

I also read the sword of truth, all 11 books actually, but it sordof lost its charm, so to speak, at the forth book. From there it seemed like Goodkind just wanted to go on with the story, but he didn't exactly know what to do, that's why I found the books therefrom fairly rediculous.
By the way, I heard he recently released another book on it, but I don't know what it's called.
I must admit I didn't notice the other guy who wrote with King, that's probably why I didn't enjoy those books. Even more reason for me to try out Dark tower smile
And I deffenately look forward to the last wheel of time book. Jordan wrote the ending himself, and I remember Sanderson, in the forward of the gathering storm, describe it as "fantastic".

Brendan
-----

2011-09-19 21:08:13 (edited by lauren.downie96 2011-09-19 21:09:26)

Hi,
@Griffindore:
I love the harry potter audio books, but in my oppinion Jim Dale sounds a bit robotic but that's just my opinion. I prefer Stephen Fry.
Also for a bit of horror I would try the Demonata series by Darren Shann.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-09-19 21:24:44

Jim Dale can sound a bit robotic when narrating, but when he tries to read in character he can mix it up pretty well.

On mistrust in the Wheel of Time: I do feel like it's been handled well enough up to where I am (again, just finished Lord of Chaos), but it's pretty well at the breaking point (I sense annoying things to come involving Perrin and Faile, and if Rand would just trust one person it'd make things easier to read...)

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-09-19 22:54:25

I am a big fan of stephen king. The dark tower series was brilliant in my oppinion. I also really enjoy Saylum's Lot. Also interestingly enough, i am rereading the harry potter series narrated by stephen fry. Its better than the jim dail performence i think. I think its strange how they have an american translation of the book. I guess because american kids wouldn't understand terms like jumper instead of sweater. Anyway, thats what i'm reading at the moment.