2006-03-29 21:38:18

hello,

I wanted to ask everyone in this forum that which programming language do you think is better and easier to learn.
I have no programming background, i only know html.
if someone could give me some suggestions with what i need to get started that will be great.
thanks in advance,
Chaman

2006-03-30 06:44:05

Once you learn one it's easy enough to use others. Basic is a good start, I first learned in QBasic but that's dos so you might have to jump a step and use Visual Basic. On the other hand if you have a set up where you can use Dos I gather Dos has Basic built in.

As mentioned many times before, the best one to use depends on your style and what libraries are available for what you're making. VB is useful, but C++ gives more control and I find it flows better in my head. Start with one of the Basic variants and then see what fits your projects best, and try to learn a little design theory. The theory will help a lot, especially in letting you move fairly easily from one language to another - instead of working things out from scratch you'll simply look for what the Java or C++ equivalent to a Do-While or For loop is, the same repeating and decision making commands exist in all languages just with slightly different names and ways of laying them out.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-03-30 16:18:02

Well, if i can ay this, in generally, the easiest programming languages can't have rich features, for instance AutoIt.
It is easy to learn, but doesnt supports objects.
I started with pascal, which is a good practicing language, but nothing else.
Then i learned html (well, it is not a programming language, i know), then javascript, Visual Basic, sql, mySql, and now for php and vb.net.
I suggest you to begin with a simple programming language like pascal, or basic, then you can learn the more complex ones, c++ for example.
As you know, programming was mainly not an easy task, because it is not written for the users, microsoft and borland changed this a bit, but in my opinion, programming is not for the general users (playing games, chatting, surfing the internet, reading books, etc.)
Of course, the programming language is also can depend on what do you want to do.
If you would like to develop webpages, then you dont have to learn c++. But as cx2 mentioned, if you learn one, then the others will be easier, because the basics are the same, the only difference is the syntax, echo instead of write, or print, etc.
But definatelly, do not start with c++.
Hope this helps a bit.

Best regards,
Robjoy
p.s.: a good site to start around with is:
http://www.blindprogramming.com

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-03-30 18:56:22

hello,

I've found a tutorial on pascal and i want to know that do you know of any  good compiler that would run with jaws with a accessible user interface?
thanks for all the help you might give me.

2006-03-31 05:49:16 (edited by cx2 2006-03-31 05:51:49)

Be aware that VB supports most of the features C++ does, it just isn't as fast and is harder to exert a fine degree of control over. I did say a Basic variant was a good one to start with, and equally so Pascal but the language is defined by its level not "complexity". C++ is lower level than Basic, meaning it's closer to the code the machine uses. VB still supports objects, although QBasic didn't.

As for compilers, I don't use Pascal myself but I found mention of a couple on the pascal section of www.blindprogramming.com, hopefully they're accessible.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-03-31 14:29:41

I know only a windows-like pascal ide, called free pascal, i believe you can get it from:
http://www.freepascal.org
If not, you can still fidn teh url on blindprogramming site, but i didn't manage to make it work.
I wrote pascal codes with notepad, and ran the commandline compiler of turbo pascal (for dos)

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-03-31 18:27:47

hello,

So some people are saying go for vb and some are saying c++ please help me what should i start with.
and if you could give me some information on where to get started

2006-03-31 19:03:06

I don't think we can really tell you; you need to figure it out.  Look at examples of vb and c++ (tutorials etc) and decide yourself which is easier to learn.  I for one don't want to do your work for you.

James

2006-04-01 04:07:43

Start with something simple like taking input, doing basic maths and giving output. Something like calculate the area of a square or rectangle is good for that. Don't start with file handling by a long shot, I spent 4 years studying computers and I still have trouble with that part of programming.

cx2
-----

2006-04-01 11:52:21

well, in my opinion file managing is not so hard, even in c++. But definitely do not start with it. You can learn what a variable used for, basic operations, at first. But i am not you, and i don't know how much you can learn with one shot, so it is totally up to you.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion