2011-06-24 02:05:33

Hey guys, I am currently stuck on something, and odds are some of you will know how to help.  Without going in to too much detail, the game I'm designing with Locutus will have include actual physical items which will be mailed out to players.  These will be a tactile reference map of the game's city, and the special head band used for head tracking as you play the game.

During one particular chat with Nocturnus, he mentioned that since the materials are blind-accessible, I should be able to send them postage free through the US mail if I write "Free matter for the blind" on the package!  Saying I was excited is an understatement, since this would be the single greatest news I've had so far on this project, rofl!  I did some checking online, but the definitions for what can and cannot be sent read like terrible VCR instructions, and I wasn't confident I understood them.  I took the time to drive up to my local post office to as the people working there, but after asking each other, all had heard "something" about it, but none knew how it worked.  They gave me a phone number for some higher up office, but the phone just rings and rings forever when I try to call it.  I would have expected someone at the actual post office to know how this all worked.

Well, for the moment, I'm stuck.  I'm quickly approaching the point where I will be building large quantities of these maps and head bands so they are ready for when the game is released.  If shipping is free, these items will be very inexpensive since I will only need to charge people for the cost of the materials I'm using.  If, however, I can't ship for free, the shipping on the packages will be probably 2 or 3 times as much as the cheap items themselves!  I would absolutely hate that, plus it might mean less people would be interested.  If anyone has had experience using "Free matter for the blind" on items being mailed, please help.  From what I understand, registered blind individuals can send mail out for free, but I need to know if I (a sighted person) can mail these accessible items to all of you without there being a postage fee.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-06-24 18:28:24

Hi,
That's ok for the US, but what about internationally? I'm from the UK.

2011-06-24 18:55:00

On audyssey, people have unfortunately already proven that these items can not be sent for free.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-06-24 20:11:08

oh that's a shame smile.
I live in the uk too.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-06-24 20:12:52

sorry I meant sad not smile lol

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-06-24 21:12:52

This is very odd. I've had materials sent to me free matter for the blind from the United Kingdom to Canada, and I'm sure it could be done the other way. And particularly between Canada and the United States, I figured it would be quite easy, particularly if you include braille. Heh.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2011-06-24 21:15:25

yeah i know what you mean. I've had a letter from a blind pen friend from canada sent to me and it was free posting I think.

2011-06-25 05:53:31

hi,
I am from india, and I dont think free postage available in india. if available, so I dont know

This is not a signature.