2011-06-15 22:18:45

Hi. ON youtube there is a audio vertual barba shop. You have to listen to it with headphones or it won't work. You are in a barba shop and the audio makes it sound like someone is cutting your hair and everything. It's amazing.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-06-16 07:12:48

hi,
please tell me the link?

This is not a signature.

2011-06-16 09:28:18

It would have been nice if the mannequin they were recording with had a whig on so you could hear the scissors actually cutting hair. As it stands, it's easy to tell they're just snapping the scissors close to the head.

Hm, now I want to try a file I made several years ago with Nero Wave Editor. It's just some helicopters and wind with a flanger and I think one or two other effects, but the way NWE handles reverb and flangers made it disturbing enough that the first few times I listened to it I had to take off my headphones before the end...
(And my computer with NWE on it won't boot properly. sad )

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-16 10:52:36

The link can be Found here

it was deffinately fun (though I couldn't work out if the employees were supposed to be spanish or italian).

if I was being picky I'd say the sound behind the head should've been lowered in volume, sinse currently it sounds as if the shaver and the clippers are going in front not behind, but this is me being picky generally.

I'm also amused people are so astounded by something that in audio games, audio dramas etc is pretty much taken for granted.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-06-16 12:29:18

Something I've found in my experiments with my headphones is that to simulate behind-ness, it is good to have something in the back of hte ears. The way our ears and head are shaped, things from the back are slightly obstructed by the outer part of the ear, whereas things from the front simply go directly in.

Which somehow makes me think of the project I'm currently working on, in which I set up my internal space system with the y-axis opposite what BGT expects, so things ahead of you are lower in pitch than things behind--which is the opposite of the norm.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-16 19:11:45

Hey,
Dark, I know what you mean about the behind sounding like it's infront. I don't think you're being picky smile

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-06-16 20:31:52

Hi,
I was shared it in another topic.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-06-18 08:38:52

I hope 3d sound like this finds its way into more audio games similar to Papa Sangre, to enhance the atmosphere. It would really benefit in Monkey Business especially in the outdoor worlds!
On the topic of 3d audio, I've played with the options in Monkey Business, Shades of Doom, and the virtual 3d stuff never, ever works. From my understanding those settings were for headphones? Maybe I misunderstood and they are for a surround sound system.
I wish there was some accessible program that could convincingly pan sounds in 3d like they do in Papa Sangre and the Nightjar, and other 3d sound clips. For now, my binaurel microphones are pretty good at 3d recording, but only in live situations where the sounds actually occur around me, but as of yet I don't know of anything good for prerecorded stuff that has to be panned around, after the recording. Such software would probably be expensive though.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2011-06-18 09:44:38 (edited by CAE_Jones 2011-06-18 11:29:37)

I think 3d sound is dependent on what system you're running. Apparently different versions of windows handle this differently, which I'm sure is a headache to developers.

I've got a compaq laptop running Windows ME that has a sound max digital audio system on it. It has fantastic spacial sound capabilities, but I have no idea how to actually use those outside of the test program. I remember trying to use java to access some of those features for games, but could never figure out how.

Something I've found with spacializing sounds with sound-editing software is that a low pass filter can sometimes make it seem like the sound source has dropped a little.
Something that seems like it indicates above / below / behind is that the sound becomes muffled in some way that is hard to isolate and teach to computers. Then you have to figure in how much this varies between channels. It's actually pretty impressive that our brains do this automatically without us having to think about it so much.

I think I'll try recording some examples off of the old compaq using a line-in cable to see if anyone else finds Sound Max's features similarly impressive.

[edit] I really need to get a sendspace account...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/soundMaxDemo.mp3
Recording off of one computer onto the other kind of caused some quality loss.
While I'm not entirely sure about it's ability to indicate behind, you can definitely hear when things are climbing up on the left.
[/edit]

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.