2011-06-15 19:14:42

Thanks KeyIsFull, I wrote that one down, and I'll look in to it a bit later.

Dark, I didn't add the save or load features until minutes before posting the first version.  I, too, didn't think anyone would use it, but I worried that if I didn't have it some people might complain.  haha.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-06-15 19:20:58

Hi.

A couple of other things with the substitution code.

Firstly, it seems a litle unreasonable that the name of one object can be replaced with another. For instance, I had rug replaced by picture frame, and thus on a couple of tasks I actually didn't know which object was meant, which was slightly frustrating.

then, I gave up on task 36 when i got this:

head up, recorder cooking smack down suitcase stupid smack down glass jar plastic toy, computer plastic toy it billy goat smack down wood, tree trunk smack down smack down.

Amusing jibberish yes, however the problem was smackdown had been substituted for the quite a bit earlier, then it was substituted for a room name, and treetrunk was meaning both under and on.

These two instances of the same word meaning two different words made some clues very open to misconstruction, eg, whether treetrunk the table meant under the table or on the table, and the smackdown thing was quite a challenge to memory.

I also had pen meaning both box and get at one stage, though this was slightly less of a problem as all the box objects have multiple word names.

To stop these sorts of occurrences and keep the game somewhat fair, perhaps once a replacement word was used, maybe it could disappear out of the replacement words list? Thus insuring that at any one time, a replaced word only meant one word and not more than one.

Btw, I've been rather unwell today due to a stomach bug, so this has come just at the right time to cheer me up and give me a laugh.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-06-15 20:01:18

Terribly sorry to hear about your stomach bug, Dark.  I feel a little silly that I never thought to remove used words from the available list.  I guess I never made it far enough into the game to ever encounter repeats.  I'll make that change for the next version.

Added:
I've posted version 0.4b which fixes that load game bug, and also prevents those repeated words.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-15 21:37:18

Hello,

@Aprone I think I got what was the problem.
Generally on an US and UK keyboard (and probably on many others as well) the letter Y is to the right of T. However, there are keyboards such as Hungarian, where Y and Z have been swapped.
So basically I was going through the location row and instead of jumping to the dresser it told me what I was holding. Y works too, so I can continue luckily just its something I need to get used to.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2011-06-15 22:59:32

Hi Aprone,
I think your games are very entertaining. They are very interesting. I love this game. smile

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-06-15 23:35:10

hi aprone.
i think that with this 0.4b version the bug of words being replaced with others still happens,
but it was a rare situation. the word box was replaced with something else, and the word card
board box was also replaced, i don't remember exactly what happened to tell you, but if it
happens again i'll tell you, or save the game to show you what's going on. my best until now is
15 tasks done, but i'll try to improve. loving the game.
@robjoy haven't seen you in this forum for a while bro hehehe
you can try to use joytokey and create a profile for the game. then use the joystick with the
most important buttons and just use the keyboard to press q and other keys, or if the
controller that you use has lots of buttons you can assign everything to it.
i haven't used joy2key with this game, so can't tell if it will work or not.
you can find the program here
http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/Jo … ersion.htm

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2011-06-16 00:48:10

Version 0.5b is posted.  The only thing I've changed, is now the game ends when you complete 40 tasks, not 50.  This will put some of you within reach of the ending, and you can use your current saved games, so you don't have to start over from the beginning.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-16 07:13:59

grab window suitcase out of window Family room, and put it under window table, in window Dining room.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-06-16 15:11:10

I've seen a lot worse

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-06-16 19:38:12

hi, I don't know weather this is a bug or not. It is probably hjust my computer. When I finish or go off the game and come back on sapi won't work with it. Like I said this is probably just my computer but I just thought I would let you know.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-06-17 11:54:00

hi sid,
remove window word and answer is there.

This is not a signature.

2011-06-17 13:36:43

Is there a chance that we can have wave files instead of sapi? Then it really sounds like a person is ordering you around.

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2011-06-17 14:33:48

I won the game first go! I have completed all 40 tasks! My last task was:
me hinge tooth brush music head ball, tile cleaner get down door knob bathroom down Kitchen, pen put garbage can goat down dog, party down Computer buttered toast.
Basically, it was telling me to put the socks from the kitchen under the desk of the computer room.
Oh my god. I love that ending story. I'd love to localize this game if possible.

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2011-06-17 16:09:49

Well I spend the whole stupid day with a migraine headache yesterday, from the moment I woke up, until waking up this morning.  I'm not sure if it is residual head pain, or a side effect of being bed ridden for like 20 hours, but I still feel a little like someone hit me over the back of the head with a wooden plank.  Since this seems like a perfectly good place to continue sharing, I'm a little bummed out today because I just found out a project idea of mine was rejected.  Months ago I submitted a proposal to the US Air force, attempting to win prize money for solving a programming problem they had listed for anyone to try and solve.  To share only what I can, without violating the non disclosure agreement I had to sign, they needed to rewrite the code in their unmanned UAVs so that they could better distinguish age and gender of people it was tracking.  Anyways, I finally got a letter back saying they decided not to use my solution, so I didn't win the $20,000 reward.  Arg, that sucks!

Ok, back to the topic at hand!  Lauren, I'll have to take a look at that.  I never tried testing the sapi after losing focus.  Harrylst, congratulations on beating the game!  I considered recording myself for all of the dialog and words, but I knew it would have taken a long time, and it would have prevented people from making their own custom word lists.  Oh, that reminds me, if someone thinks it would be fun, you can edit the file words.txt within the game's directory, and fill in your own random words.  These are the words the game uses to mix up the sentences, so you could, for example, have all Star Trek or Harry Potter themed words in the file.  Just something I thought people might have fun changing around.

Well, localizing the random word list would be easy, but I would need ot extract the rest of the game's dialog.  I'm writing it down so later I can see how much work that would be.  If it would be easy, I'll go ahead and do it so that people can translate it however they wish.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-19 03:50:20

Hi,
Well...it seems Aprone likes smackdowns, though I'm not sre why. On the note of penalizing moves, I have a better idea. Instead of a strikeout system, youhave, say, 10 incorrect moves. These rollover from item to item of course. So if I mess up in the 20th task, I will have nine moves left for the rest of them.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-06-19 13:38:13

it's don't supporting jaws for windows!

2011-06-19 13:44:54

Hi,
It is supporting but there is a bug. I think jaws don't likes Aprone's games. smile

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-06-19 20:23:09

Hi,
I don't think so...it has more to do with the fact that Jeremy hasn't yet figured out a good way of implementig it.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-06-19 20:59:06

Hayden is correct.  I just haven't found a good way to get Jaws to work with my games, so for now, I just recommend people use other screen readers or Sapi.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-19 23:12:20

Well, your method of keyboard input gets past Jaws's monopoly on the arrow keys.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-20 12:00:25

hi,
I think jaws scripting is better idea. well, I dont use jaws script anymore,.

This is not a signature.

2011-06-21 19:54:28

aprone, nice game, i enjoy playing it

man, you're the god of ideas, i love your ideas/games

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2012-01-01 18:51:15

Now I'm guilty of resurrecting old threads, haha.  big_smile
I've posted version 0.6 of this game, which simply adds JAWS support.  I had forgotten to ever come back and add Jaws to this game and someone needed it today.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2012-01-14 12:07:17

Hello I just wantted to let you know I  got to the end of the game.  it is grate I love it. Thanks for all the hard work you put into your games.

2012-01-14 12:13:47

Well done Suefont!  Not many people have made it to the end of the game.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software