2011-06-14 00:37:21

hi

um, i was talking with a mud game owner, who just quit and let the hosting server down. sad

so he was telling me that he will give me the source code, if i'm interested so i can host it myself

um what is a source code?

ugh can i even host a game without knowing any program languages?

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2011-06-14 04:46:34 (edited by Hayden 2011-06-14 04:47:25)

Hi,
To answer your second question first, no.
As for your first question, source code is exactly what it sounds like; it is the source for the code that goes into your game. It is the higher level input that gets compiled by a programming language. No offense but there is no way you will be able to host that without even knowing what source code is.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-06-14 08:41:47

Depending on how it's set up, you might be able to host it without knowing anything about the source code, but I wouldn't count on it.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-14 10:13:44

Hi,

It depends very much on what MUD it is. If it is a MUD which has built-in commands for creating and building and such, I guess you could host the MUD and build in it. For implementing new features you'll need to learn how to program though. What mud are we talking about?

2011-06-14 19:57:12 (edited by hadi.gsf 2011-06-14 20:00:26)

yo, well, you know, i thought source code is some kind of a DataBase?

but it seems i was wrong

ugh who knows... you know what? he directed me to a folder... to that folder there are like 8 folders named "boot, SCR, buildings, areas, players, ...) and stuff... and most of them are .txt, and in the files there are like lots of text codes which i don't know even one line of it lol.

about the mud... you may know it..

first a mud called (assault: high tech war) has been released at 2001. the admin of that game closed it
then again someone at 2005 opened it under the name (assault mud) after one year that mud went down too.

at 2006 another person opened it up again and called it (assault mud 3.0) which got down at 2009. now i'm talking to this guy... he's goddamn lazy and is not going to open the game up

the game is about a war which you can build bases and buildings, and use modern stuff like tanks, planes and guns to fight.. an awesome futuristic one

2011-06-14 20:06:13

i donno, if any of you is a programmer and interested to run this game... let me know so i will share the link with you guys. or who knows i may force myself to learn programing languages to run this mud.
the game is hole PVP and when i checked the logs it was like you build up your bases and alliances and players had the war events set up at a especific time... so much interesting

2011-06-19 04:28:59

Hi,
Nope, sorry. Not quite correct, not close enough for a MUD.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-06-19 10:50:17 (edited by dhruv 2011-06-19 10:51:39)

hi,
first, found what language its created in. then, find apropriate compiler for that language, then compil it.
compiling is not very dificult, I say, it's eazy.

This is not a signature.

2011-06-19 17:19:13

Hi,

I actually do know this mud, it runs on a quite unique codebase. Share me that link please, i'd like to play with it some

Balliol

2011-06-19 20:30:28

Hi,
THe issue is not so much, I think, that it is hard to compile, more that if you can't understand the Source Code you don't have a prayer of ading new features to the MUD.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-06-19 21:06:38

um, there are lots of text files! i don't think i should compile them... oh my..

i found a file called "run mud" maybe that will compile it automaticly and sends it on the hosting server or something

the owner said that this code base is for the C language
well, also the link to the data base is:
https://github.com/demortes/Assault-3.0

if anyOne could run the game plz inform us so we can join

2011-06-19 21:08:46

also yo hayden,

the main problem is running the mud....

i can hire or get new builders and coders to make new features

2011-06-20 12:40:19

Hello,

This doesn't look too tricky to set up. I'll get on it this afternoon. Since it is in github i will also zip it up and provide a diect download link, its madness for you all to get the stuff for github registrations if you are only going to use it once.

Wait for me,
Balliol

2011-06-20 12:51:19

wow, it's good smile

and yeah i couldn't download the files to my computer, it seems i should register or something

2011-06-20 13:36:47

Hi,

Where did you see this runmud file?

2011-06-20 13:48:09

it's in the data folder

2011-06-20 14:06:17

As I thought ...setting it up shouldn't be much of a problem but linux is definitely necessary for this one.

The startup script needs to be ran to get it going, and this thing is either incomplete or just terribly documented. I don't have nix access here so if someone would liketo have a go at it, the startup script is in the src folder. ./startup, you know the drill

2011-06-20 20:46:13

Hi,

I'll give it a go. I've ran dikus, lps and a few other variants before, and can build for them. Can't say how much time I'd have though.

Thanks,
KJ4UFX
{.i doi .tcikoritys. mi cuxna ba'e do}

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2011-06-20 21:34:27

Hi,

I got it running, sort of. I compiled it, ran it and created my first character, but after I went through creation and tried typing a command, it segfaulted. Grrr! Ideas anyone? lol. I might try and figure it out myself, but I've never done this before. Maybe someone could get in contact with demortes?

Thanks,
KJ4UFX

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2011-06-20 23:32:50

i can contact him, i will ask him and will post the answer from him here soon

2011-06-20 23:50:21

um also how do you compile it in linux? i have vinux and i'm a beginner in it...

if you don't mind telling it here

2011-06-21 00:21:53

Hi,

Don't mind at all.
You need gcc-3.4, git, make and libc6-dev. You can get all these from apt-get (sudo apt-get install gcc-3.4 git-core make libc6-dev). Once that command finishes, run these commands:
git clone git://github.com/demortes/Assault-3.0
cd Assault-3.0/src
make -s -j2
That last command will give you a lot of compiler warnings. I'd do something about them but don't know enough c stuff to fix them. Anyway, you have a working binary now, so open that startup script with your editor of choice (gedit startup, for instance) and delete the line that says
cd /var/www/web1/mud/src
When you're done there, save and close gedit (or whatever editor you used), and give it a whirl! I.E
./startup 6660
Now, you should be able to open telnet or something and connect to localhost, port 6660. But if you're like me, after you've entered a name and answered the creation questions, it'll die and you'll lose your connection.
BTW, if it helps demortes any, here's what I get with a debugger when the mud crashes:
#0  0xb7ddabad in fclose () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x080b1f19 in generate_webpage () at web.c:96
#2  0x080b212d in update_web_data (type=0, value=0xbfd57de0 "1") at web.c:168
#3  0x08070e04 in nanny (d=0xe34ebd0, argument=0xe350a38 "") at comm.c:3229
#4  0x0806beeb in game_loop_unix (control=7) at comm.c:927
#5  0x0806b924 in main (argc=2, argv=0xbfd5a0a4) at comm.c:506

Thanks and HTH,
KJ4UFX

2011-06-21 12:23:49 (edited by hadi.gsf 2011-06-21 12:32:00)

um
is it all in vinux? lol i should try it then

also those commands, where should i enter them?

does vinux have telnet?
also i will tell demortes about it

2011-06-21 17:21:25

yo, he answered finally

he said
you should generate the files listed in web.C

it doesn't automaticly save them

2011-06-22 00:56:34

Hi,

Thanks, that did it! Was able to create a character and build headquarters, and am currently looking for some stuff so I can build other things. Btw, is there a way to turn off all this ascii? It's not a huge problem, just a lot of extra stuff to go through.
I haven't had a crash yet, but I'm the only one on and haven't done that much. Try connecting to failbox.co.cc, port 6660. Let's see what we can break! Creating players should be fine, and if it crashes, it'll restart in about 20 seconds. If it does, please send me something over gossip or one of the other channels.

Thanks,
KJ4UFX