2011-06-11 23:21:17 (edited by twynn92 2011-06-11 23:25:57)

Aprone,
I was thinking of a key you'd press, like in Microsoft Excel, where after pressing said shortcut, you'd be able to enter a coordinate (such as A3), and it will take you to that cell.

I also found a bug. At least I think it might be one, anyway. In the game, you said that

The guards and scientists are not looking to kill you, only contain you for continued study.  When you walk up to them, they will turn to face you.  While facing you, you cannot attack any of these people because they would see the attacking coming and defend themselves.  You must attack them from the sides or from behind.

So, this saved game puts me to the left of the lab technician. There are no other instances of me anywhere else around him whatsoever. So, why isn't he facing me? Of course, it's beneficial that he's not looking... big_smile

I also killed the same technician in a past saved game, and then jumped to the future a few clicks, and he seemed to still be there.

Also, when you load the game, why aren't you placed at the location of your current instant?

I think I'm stuck. How does one hack the computer? I entered the computer terminal many times from this saved game, and o message pops up.

2011-06-11 23:45:31

Twynn, I've just fixed that bug and posted the update.  The reason he wasn't paying attention to you is because you were actually between ticks of time due to a bug.  The computer is hacked the first time you reach it, but if you missed the message you wouldn't get to see it again.  I've added a confirmation message that displays whenever you go to the computer, but have already hacked it previously.  This might help people remember what steps they have already taken.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-06-12 00:15:41

Ok guys, the latest update adds keys to quickly jump you to new cells.  While holding shift, you can press A through Z, or 1 through 0.  If you only pressed Shift C, for example, it would take you to cell C-whatever row you were already on.  I've kept the row and column commands separate just to give a little more freedom with this new tool.  Of course you can just hold shift and press G 4, if you want to jump specifically to that cell.  I'm still going through all of the suggestions people have made, so please don't feel like I have ignored you, or forgotten about your idea, if you previously posted one.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-12 00:20:22

Aprone,
Is there anything else after deleting your info from the backup server? I'm currently at D2, trying to open the vault door, thinking there's nothing else to do. Am I mistaken in this assumption?

I think I'm missing something really obvious here... smile

2011-06-12 00:24:06

If you are on a square with a dead person n it, it does not tell yo that you are there, or it doesn't tell you that there was a dead guard or whatever there. This also applies to doors. I want to hear everything on the square.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-06-12 00:27:31

i'm adicted to this game allready. I hope it gets much larger it's so adictive. I like all these updates it's like one an hour smile

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-06-12 00:37:04

Twynn, after you've deleted the research data, you want to escape the vault.  The vault exit is north of the office where you killed the supervisor.  When you do escape, the game simply ends because I haven't created any other missions yet.

KeyIsFull, I've written that down so I can work on it.  You are correct, the game should be telling you everything that's going on.  From what I can tell, I never updated that part of the code to work with the messages system.  Before I released the game, you weren't able to cycle through messages so I was using a different system.  I should be able to change it over quite easily.

Lauren, I'm glad you like the game!  Now that I see how well received this game concept is, I will happily expand it into additional missions.  To make a slight confession, the updates are actually coming out each hour for a very specific reason.  lol, I've been watching Season 3 episodes of Stargate Atlantis in between coding.  It is about 45 minutes for the episode which leaves me around 15 minutes to pop out another feature or squash coding bugs.  Once I upload what I have, I fire up the next episode.  I'm a huge fan of the 3 stargate series, and I haven't ever sat to watch each Stargate Atlantis episode in a row.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-12 00:39:32

lol aprone, that is really amusing. I know I couldn't do that. I either contiuously code for about an hour, or don't, but I can't get like 15 minutes of coding in and just be satisfied with what I have done and release it. I like to keep my versions prety substantial so that people will want to download them.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-06-12 00:47:03

yeah that's amusing smile. Great work on this game so far smile.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-06-12 00:51:41 (edited by staindaddict 2011-06-12 00:52:40)

Tried this game finally. It's a really great idea, I'm impressed. Very confused, but impressed. lol This ones gonna take me awhile to figure out, finally something to do. I've been so bord, now I have something to take up some time.
Great job, again!
I don't think the game works with Jaws, I can't get Jaws to read the options. Using Sappi.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2011-06-12 01:02:20

Yes, Jaws continues to be a thorn in my side haha.  Once I finally get to where I understand Jaws scripting well enough to use it, I will go back through and update this game, lunimals, and the rest for Jaws.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-12 01:23:34

Aprone,
I've tried exiting the vault, but Temporal said

Before leaving, you need to destroy any information these men have learned about you.

I know I've already deleted the information from the server. SO, is it a bug? Here's the saved game.

2011-06-12 01:48:20

Twynn, you were correct, it was a bug.  I've just posted an update that fixes it, as well as an adjustment to the quick cell jumping method.  If you pressed Shift and 1, it jumps you to row 1, and a second tab of Shift 1 jumps you to row 11.  By pressing the same number twice it adds 10, thus allowing people to access 2-digit rows quickly.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-12 04:35:45

Aprone,
I still get that error when loading the game from my saved game. Should I just start over, then? I'm running version 1.0B I believe.

2011-06-12 04:39:36

Unfortunately if that same saved game file still gives the error, you may have to start over.  Sorry about that.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-12 12:25:41

hi aprone,
how can I defete the lab tecnition?
i meen how I can attack. any help?

This is not a signature.

2011-06-12 12:32:13

I love this game!!

2011-06-12 12:33:38

You attack by trying to walk into the same space. You can only attack if the target is not facing you.
If you can't get them to face away from you, a distraction might help. wink

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-12 12:48:16

hi,
I go to same sell where he is. now, what key I press? sorry, I little confused.

This is not a signature.

2011-06-12 15:01:48

You use the arrow keys to look around. To move, you hold shift and use the arrow keys.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-12 16:13:43

Thanks Lauren big_smile

Dhruv, to give you a hand I'll walk you through killing that first guy.  Start the game fresh just so my instructions will match up nicely.  Use shift, plus arrow keys, to move.  Move up, left, and then up again, this puts you directly to the left side of the lab technician.  You are currently on tick 3, and the lab guy is looking to the left, we need to remember this.  Now, go down 1 square, and move right 1 square.  We are now standing below the guy, and he is looking down at us.  We can't attack him yet because he is still looking in our direction, but back on tick 3 he was looking left.  Press space bar, type 3, and press enter.  We have just traveled back in time to tick 3!  Our older version of ourself is standing to the left of the guard, and the guard is facing left just like he was at this time in the past.  While he is busy looking at our older self, we can use shift, plus up arrow, to move up and attack the guard from the side.  And that's how you defeat the lab technician!  Please let me know if this helped.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-12 18:53:38

I hate the lab technission. He's so hard to kill but once i've done it i've done it and don't have to do it again smile lol.

2011-06-12 21:04:36

Another great game. I like the strategy in this one. I've only just started playing it but I can tell it's going to be tricky.

I'm not sure if this is a bug. I was able to kill the lab technician by moving to one of the corners that's to the side of the cell door and jumping back to tick 1. At first I tried jumping back to tick 0 but the lab technician was still facing to the right where my future self was. Shouldn't they have been facing down if it was tick 0?

When I first read the description of the game, I thought, oh no, it will be like trying to wrap my head around a Steven Moffatt episode of Dr. Who. lol

2011-06-12 21:19:16

Jabberwocky, actually at tick 0 he was facing down but has already turned to face you as you've appeared next to him.  The reason it works for tick 1 is because your other self is standing directly in front of him.  Because he is already focused on the other you, who is standing right in front of his face, he won't pay attention to the new you who appears.

I'm in the process of designing mission number 2.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-12 21:33:32

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm looking forward to mission 2. After I make it through mission 1 of course. smile