2011-04-11 16:08:56

I've just inherited my brothers' laptop. He bought it six months ago (it was one of the last xp machines made), and but never used it, ---- it even had all the bog standard microsoft free crap installers stuck on it and the default settings for windows explorer and such.

I've updated it, installed Hal, put on my music and such, installed explorer 8, and am in the process of updating all my game keys.

I've also rejiggered the display to have the options I prefer, ie, the desktop only having the shortcuts I want keys for, the background I like, programs grouped the way I want them, all folders displayed as lists etc.

One thing however which is really! getting on my whick is the personalized start menue options.

I don't want! the websites I visited last, I want my entire favourites list (all organized into convenient folders).

I keep going into the taskbar and start menue settings options and turning personalized start menue off, but everytime the computer restarts it comes back on again.

this is weerd because all the other! start menue options I've set such as showing favourites, showing the run dialogue, expanding the control panel etc are all staying set fine, it's just the personalized menues that keep turning themselves on.

I've tried using the taskbar and start menue shortcut in the start menue, and in the control panel, but both seem the same.

any suggestions? is this some sort of user accounts thing? in my experience, %99 of all windows irritating behaviour is traceable back to user accounts, ---- bloody things, don't see the point of them myself when only one person is using the computer.

Whether user accounts or not, if anyone has any thoughts on how to perminantly set this stubborn setting I'd appreciate knowing.

Btw, just to confirm, this is! windows xp I'm talking about, not 7, and certainly! not vista.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-04-11 16:52:16

Hi Dark,

What do you mean you want all your favorites in a folder? I think there's an option when you go to add a favorite, that says organize favorites. Give that a shot. If I'm completely off, forgive me I didn't understand your question 100%.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2011-04-11 22:45:01

Actually staindadict my favourites are already in quite a few folders I've organized them that way.

The problem is personalized start menue keeps turning itself on. This option, instead of organizing things by foldergives you a small list of your most recently visited stuff and you have to wait for the full favourites list to show.

This is a pest, sinse I don't want my most recently visited stuff ordered that way, i prefer to organize things myself.

i know exactly what option this is, it's the "personalized menues" option, but as I said, even though I turn it off it keeps getting turned on again which is irritating.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-04-12 00:10:30

I used to know so much about XP, and now I have been using 7 for so long I forgot. lol Did you try to go to taskbar and start menu options? Or maybe that's what you did already.. Not sure, out of ideas.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2011-04-12 04:10:49

As I said, that's where I keep turning it off and it keeps turning itself on again.

2011-04-12 12:38:14

Try disabling it through accessibility wizard.  Start menu, accessories, accessibility, accessibility wizard. You can also bring up the run dialogue and type "accwiz" from there and launch said wizard in this manner.

Configure the options as you see fit and keep nexting through the dialogues until you find one called "Display Settings."  here, you will find a checkbox labeled "Disable personalized menus" which you can tamper with to your hearts desire.

Hope I've been of some assistance.  Been awhile since I've used XP, but methinks this is how its done.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-04-12 15:52:05

Ah, didn't know about that one, I'll give it a try.

I've used the accessibility settings in the control panel to disable stuff like sticky keys (very annoying wen playing games), but I didn't know the wizard had other options as well.

2011-04-12 16:06:37

I need not point out that in their atempts to make windows OS's accessible, Microsoft has been less than successful, which is why I'm planning to put it on the backburner as soon as I get the chance.  I'm not going to ditch it all together, but I don't think it'll stay my primary source for computation purposes.  Mac is looking promising, now all I need is about $1000 to acquire the computer with OS.

I can't tell you how many times I've been truly annoyed by having to wait for sighted assistance to accomplish something on my machine because I had to boot it into safe mode and JAWS wouldn't work along side it, or because I encountered screen of death/some other crazy image with scary codes and numbers that my screenreader wouldn't read to me, or, as is the case with Vista/seven, the times when updating windows has resulted in system crashes that have lead the computer into using the system recovery tool built into it, something else screenreaders don't deal with at all.

I'm not complaining.  When using any OS, you're going to run across problems.  Still, from what I gather, it seems that other options exist that allow the user more flexibility and comfort, so all I feel like doing is exploring and expanding my horizons, so to speak.  I will always reserve a place for windows, being the system that started it all out for me; I could never just leave it.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-04-12 20:46:43

Funny, I didn't kknow jaws had issues with reading system recovery and such, that's how I was able to get around some of the nastier user account issues, sinse Hal didn't have that problem.

For safemode, I'm lucky in that I can see by the colour of the screen whether it's on or not, which has proved useful in the past.

For general stuff though, while I see all the mac advantages, I'm just not certain sinse a good many of the principle things I do with my computer I do with windows specific programs. For instance, my entire phd thesis is written using ms word, and winamp is my favourite music and audio program.

Games have similar issues too, there are deffinately games I couldn't run on  a mac and while I have heard that systematically their better, I'm more concerned with what I personally use a computer for, than which is a better system overall.

This is also why I got an xp laptop, sinse as well as program compatibility with older software, I really! don't like the windows 7 interface.

As I said, I like to organize my favourites, shortcuts and such how I! want them, not with most recent this or recommended that.

For example, I have on my programs  menue folders for  various sorts of games such as audio games and text adventure games, then within those folders I have subfolders for each developer with individual links for their games.

this makes them far easier to find, and means that if I suddenly have an urge to play shades of doom I know just where it is even if it's a good few months sinse I last played it.

this is also why i dislike personalized menues.

When this desktop (or my new laptop), dies, I'll probably have to go to windows 7, though I will certainly be looking around for ways to make the display as personal as possible.

2011-04-12 23:22:42

Sorry Dark, I should have been more specific.  As early as windows vista, a new system called  "Windows RE" was implimented which allows you to perform various tasks.  A brief and roughly put together description follows, so for anyone who's not interested, move along now.

When we hit that magical on button on our computers, the windows loader issues a status flag to indicate that a boot process has started.  Usually this flag is cleared before the system logon screen.  IN the event that this process should fail, the flag is not cleared, and the loader determines that something is wrong with the computer and will then launch windows RE upon the next boot process.   Such a senario is known as a "Failover" and can be triggered by a few things including corrupt system updates, Disk metadata corruption (MBR, partition table, and boot sector), File system metadata corruption, a corrupt registry, etc.  Usually, Windows RE is found on a separate partician on the system drive, though I have seen it sometimes packaged on separate drives as is the case with my HP laptop.

Windows RE allows you to perform a few tasks and launch some other tools including the tool I was previously refering to as a system recovery tool.  It is more commonly known as the "startup repair"tool, which will usually fix up most issues that cause or may be causing failovers.  Since all of this occurs when the operating system is not loaded, no screenreader has a chance.

Again, I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused and hope to have eliminated it with this post.  System restore is the tool most people will use to recover their systems from most problematic situations, and is fairly accessible with screenreaders... I've not yet had a problem with it.  I quit using it though since its files generally  take up huge amounts of space on the drive, and prefer to use registry backup tools instead. 

There's a fairly nice  one called ERUNT which does the job well, and, so long as you can  access the windows recovery console, you should be able to safely restore your registry to an earlier date.  Backing up your registry with regedit is pointless as not only does it fail to coppy all of the necessary information, such as the info in security hives, but it will likely produce a mess of garbage throughout your system if you later decide to restore your backup, as all it really does is merges it with your current registry.

2011-04-12 23:55:55

Ah, that makes more sense.

funnily enough, for registry cleaning or restoring, as well as removing errors, defragging, and for deleting restore points created by system restore, I stil rely on (yes, you've guessed it), avg pc tune up, sinse these are some of the useful things it does too.

That windows ree business sounds a pain in the proverbial, and is just another reason I'm glad I stil have an xp laptop to play with, but as we all know, ms are only updating windows primarily to force people to buy more software, not for anything much better.

As I've mentioned user accounts being annoying, that's another thing I don't look forward to, though I'm hoping that at whatever point I will have to get windows 7 (hopefully not for several years), things will be stable enough to provide a good number of fixes to these various shenanigans.

2011-04-13 10:49:53

Bear in mind that there are perfectly serviceable office software packages for Mac OS, I can't confirm whether the Mac version of MS Office (Yes MS do make a version of their suite for Mac) is accessible or not.

As to music players, now I've had a taste of iTunes on the Mac I hate going back. iTunes on Windows just doesn't compare. It's possible to run Windows on a modern Mac alongside Mac OS, even without a restart if you use VMWare Fusion, which should work for games fine.

I won't tell you it's perfect but don't discount the possibility so quickly.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-04-13 13:58:15

Dark,
The Windows Vista/7 interface has its advantages. Just being able to type in your program name into the search box is a big! bonus, not to mention the fact that you no longer have to worry about windows categorizing your start menu by the most recent items; it should be correctly alphabetized. The one thing I really do not like is the control panel; that is a mess to navigate.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-04-13 14:17:40

Hmmm Haiden, it's precisely because! I don't want windows catagorizing by most recently used that I'm turning personalized menues off, otherwise they are indeed just alphabetized, or in my case organized by the folders I've stuck them in.

I altered the accessibility wizard last night, it'll be interesting to see if this does the job when I turn my laptop on again.

As for I tunes cx2, well while I know it has lots of commercial downloads and such, I do wonder how good it is with interface and different formats the way something like winamp is, sinse currently playing game music in crazy formats is one of the main things I do, ---- pluss I do have a config file specially made for my own speakers on my desktop with winamp as well.

I'm not sure how much or whether I'll need ms office when I've finished my thesis, it's really just word I use, ---- though the xl mapping system in the torchlight gamebook from arborell is actually pretty good too.

I might have a think about a mak at the time, but probably as long as most of the stuff I want to do is tied to windows I'll stick with that, ---- though sinse the next change will be in a number of years when either this new laptop or my desktop have died, goodness knows where things will be then.

2011-04-13 16:13:34

Hayden,
If you are running windows 7, you might try using godmode instead of the control panel, this is what I generally tend to stick to as it not only sets everything in a list in one folder, but gives you access to other items not quickly and obviously accessible.

From anywhere on your c drive, preferably somewhere you will remember it later or from a place you can easily access it such as your desktop, create a new folder.  Call it whatever you like, literally if you like.  Once you've done this, rename it as follows:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Note: this will also work on windows vista, though I've heard that it crashes the 64bit versions of this OS.  In vista, you need not do this as you can simply switch back to the clasic view of control panel.

As far as media players goes, FOOBAR FTW! If you haven't checked it out yet, I suggest you do so as practically every aspect of the player is configurable, and I'm always willing to share my config with anyone who wants it.  Keys are global and will work anywhere in the system so long as the player is up and running.  When the player is closed, the config is as well, and none of the keys shall conflict with other programs.  Foobar takes first priority when it comes to keys, and so will not allow any other program to use the key asignment while it is running.  I like this especially, since ctrl p which is what I use as my play option would normally bring up a print dialogue from many places, and ctrl s, my stop command... Well, you get the point.

I have a few friends here and there who use macs and love them.  I figured I'd give them a shot because I've been using computers for the better part of my life, all running some version of windows or another, and haven't expanded to any other OS.  Again, as I said, nothing is wrong with sticking to an OS, and its possible that I will not like what apple provides, but as I do a lot of general poking around, I'll know why I don't like it and will either set about customising it or will give it up with good reason.

One thing that caught my eye is the way apple has its OS's set up.  Instead of having a centralised database like the windows registry, its settings are scattered throughout the machine, upsides and downsides to that, though I'm willing to bet the thing is harder to break just because of that.  On the other hand, I've heard quite a few horror stories about how the machines are poorly manufactured and break easily, so that's something to think about and consider, though at this point, it's all hearsay and nothing I've confirmed.

2011-04-13 17:35:12

Hi,
I think I prefer winamp...I do not want all the keys taking priority in other programs. You'd end up having to enter the menus for practically everything. What I like about winamp is there's no real GUI to fiddle with unless you're editing playlists, and that's so easy it doesn't really count.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-04-13 17:47:46

Hey, to each his or her own.  Since you can set which keys you want to be global versus which ones are not, you have little to lose.  What's more, none of your keys have to be anything that would conflict with any other program.  The reason I set my keys up the way they are is simply that I prefer them that way and they work.  There's very little chance of running into any other conflict other than the print dialogue and the save dialogue as the rest of my keys take place on the numbpad, such as numb 1 to skip to previous track, numb3 to skip to next, numb4 to rewind by five seconds, numb 6 to fastforward by that much, seven and nine do the same by one min, and f3 and f4 will accomplish the same by ten.  Numb5 mutes foobar, numb 8 and numb2 raise and lower volume respectively.

That's a roughly put together description of my keybindings.  I have a few others but I won't go into detail here as that would make for a much longer post that most people probably don't want to read and would go beyond the original point of this post, which in case anyone happened to forget as I almost did was that anyone and everyone should have personal preference.  Foobar is not superior in anyway to winamp, it just works better for me.  Its functionality allows me to take control of my music much more quickly and with the added benefit of almost never having to access its window... Almost never.  The two instances I can think of when I've had to do so are changing its preferences and adding internet radio stations.

2011-04-13 21:18:09

Actually Winamp has global hotkeys too, you can set them in preferences, in fact I've set some myself specifically so that I can run winamp while playing certain games, ---- though deffinately not using the numberpad as that has all the Hal commands on it.

Interestingly enough I've never! bothered with playlists ever at all ever! I mostly either bring up winamp with a shortcut I've set for it and load files or folders, or just use windows explorer for the folder I want to play.

then again, pinching tracks from various placing and putting them together in some way has never interested me. If I want to find a music track specifically I know just where to look, and if I want to stick on a cd, I want the hole thing playing just as if I put it in the player.

As you said nocturnus though, preferences preferences!

I've heard good things about foobar I might have to give it a try for interests' sake if nothing else, though winamp's overall gui and ease of use are both things I'd find it hard to top.

Btw, to actually get back on topic, annoyingly the accessibility wizard didn't do the trick either. Methinks I might phone dolphin tech support about this one if nobody else has any suggestions.

2011-04-14 02:23:35

Dark,

the oly other suggestion I have at this point is to switch the start menu to xp mode instead of classic, as the xp start menu doesn't have the personalized settings option.  However, a source of mine informs me that in order to accomplish what you are talking about you need not only turn off the "personalized start menu" option, but also the  "Scroll Programs" option.  When in xp mode, you would still need to uncheck the "Scroll Programs" option in order for such behavior to take effect.

Hope this helps, let me kno.

2011-04-14 02:54:34

Hmmm, most odd, sinse I have the classic menues on every other xp machine I've owned and I am not forced to use personalized menues.

Scroll programs is already off anyway, sinse I was turning off everything which got on my nerves, and as I like my start menue organized very specifically I personally would find the xp standard menue as irritating as the personalized menues.

I will try dolphin and see what they suggest.

2011-04-14 06:34:52

Hi.
In the accessiblity wizard you might want to make those settings the difalt ones. At the end of the setup there's a option. before the end of it actually,I want to set administrative options. check that box,and as you go on through the setup before the end of the setup you will get something like would you like to make these settings your difalt? should windows save these settings after loging on or something like that. I hope that you were able to understand something from my nonunderstandable post.:d.
That should do the trick for you.
HTH,Grryf.ps. I know that I have spelled difalt wrong. But since my spellings are so good...

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2011-04-14 11:25:57

Thanks for the idea Grryf, I'll give the wizard another run, sinse I'm not sure I went through those admin options.

This is most odd, sinse when I first got my previous laptop, this desktop and the one before it, setting stuff in taskbar&start menue was enough.

2011-04-14 18:45:42

Hi,
Winamp has global hotkeys? I'll have to check those out.

Best Regards,
Hayden