2023-05-15 22:51:53

This announcement from the folks over at Draconis tells us they are back and headed in a new direction. Pinball tables more portable than ever? A few rounds of brawling with Mr. Whoopass while waiting in line at the checkout? Or how about broadcasting Bo-Linball on the same tv that you visit the Ten Pin Bowling Alley with...

Busha Bob wrote:

Criky jolly-rancher! Why didn't I get a mention first...

Calm down, we were just about to get to you.
All of this and more will now be possible in the not too distant future, as Draconis focuses all their development efforts going forward on the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV. Among the many exciting features we all can look forward to, we have full spatial audio support, accelerometer support, and full game controller and rumble support to name but a few. In fact, the Silver Dollar Saloon was recently renovated, giving it all the upgraded attractions mentioned in this here news update. And conversion of their classic titles to the Apple platforms is now underway, giving Mac users especially a potentially large sum of new games.
This does mean that Windows unfortunately doesn't get to join in on the future fun, though their Windows games are still available for download, with replacement registration keys still available upon request for existing customers.

2023-05-15 23:32:23

Ooo shiny!

2023-05-15 23:34:24

Nice. So I take it games like silver dollar and change reaction will amung other titles will be available on ios too?

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2023-05-16 00:06:25

That's what it's looking like. SilverDollar 2.0 is already available for Mac, Change Reaction 3.0 for Mac is coming. Looking like the rest of their titles will follow as they become ready.

2023-05-16 00:57:06

Meanwhile, those of us who don't wish to or can't use Apple' devices for whatever reason get left in the dust. Yep, progress sure is great.

2023-05-16 01:30:57

@Draq
I assume you would complain just as much about an Android only game right?
Yeah, I doubt it...

2023-05-16 01:52:19 (edited by Draq 2023-05-16 01:56:13)

Indeed I would. Not everyone wants to use a smartphone or whatever, be it Apple or Android. Not everyone needs or wants to use a Windows PC either, but switching from PC to Mac only is just giving PC users who don't use any Apple devices the middle finger, in my opinion. I do get that developing for more than one platform kind of sucks unless you have the resources to do so effectively and these decisions are mostly driven by the market, but it's basically telling people who played these games on Windows that oh hey, if you want to continue to play our games, you're going to have to shell out money to buy and entirely different device and learn a different OS.  If you don't, you're out of luck because mobile devices are king. That's what I take issue with, not the brand of device.

2023-05-16 02:25:30

In fairness to them, developing for cross-platform really did just get a whole hell of a lot harder what with Apple Silicon. Apple's killing off Intel without waiting for any of their machine's existing support cycles to end, so in due time if you think it's hard to run cross-platform now, think again. It might as well be the console divide now thrust into the computer space because you're talking proprietary architecture vs standard platform here. The ability to work across nearly the entire ecosystem may have much to do with Apple Silicon, and all the spatial audio that they're able to take advantage of is on there. combine that with the fact you've got a small team and a limited budget, and you've got a pretty open and shut case for why they can't continue to support Windows, as unfortunate as it is.

2023-05-16 02:41:30 (edited by ignatriay 2023-05-16 02:53:11)

I find @5's comment to be ironic. For much of the time... and still these days... most titles, gaming wise... are only available on windows... and yet, have you heard mac users bitch and moan? No? Then why should it be any different in this case.
I mean there's always going to be stuff that won't be supported on one platform and will on another... Its just how it is, and its something we have to learn to accept and live with.

take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2023-05-16 02:58:11

@9: Cloud rigs have helped some with the platform divide. But there's one problem. Cloud mac rigs would actually be more widely used were it not for Apple's single-tenant policy for Mac OS servers. That's the reason why a Mac OS timeshare will run you at least $100some per month, whereas even a tricked out Shadow rig isn't even that much.

2023-05-16 03:59:35 (edited by ignatriay 2023-05-16 04:01:59)

@10, its not just that. Given how things are now, cross platforming is just, not viable. I mean look at windows. Depending on the manufacturer, some have already gone to arm architecture while others still go with intel, although I don't see this beeing the case for much longer, but in either case this makes things way more complicated for cross platforming as well. Not to mention the obvious. We're talking two completely separate operating systems. Its not different operating systems with x and y the same accross both platforms.

take a look at

2023-05-16 06:21:20

@Draq
Ah okay, I misunderstood and leapt to an unfair conclusion, my apologies.
I still believe that after so long very few people really want to play these games on Windows any more anyway, so I see very little harm in revamping them for a new audience, but I think that making the existing Windows games freeware would go a long way towards easing the sting for those few who genuinely care..

2023-05-16 14:53:48

I find @5's comment to be ironic. For much of the time... and still these days... most titles, gaming wise... are only available on windows... and yet, have you heard mac users bitch and moan?

Yes. Probably a smaller percentage than this, but that makes sense because Apple platforms have a smaller percentage  of gamers.

2023-05-17 16:41:47

Not to mention that prior to mac ditching Intel, VM's and WINE (with the Audio Game Manager especially making it easier to install and manage) were easy workarounds.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2023-05-18 16:05:26

the only part about that I don't like is while new people will be able to play it on iPhone and Mac, what about Windows, where their entire community was, and will be the best experienced if that's what you're looking for. I'm glad their moving over to iOS, though, because we don't have a lot of good VI games on there anymore.