2023-04-13 03:33:00 (edited by blindgoofball 2024-04-12 16:08:50)

Current version is 3.8.3.
Hello everyone!
I am happy to announce that my first game, Wave Of The Undead, is now available.
Description from the website:
Tower defense, nothing easier, right? Think again. Wave of the Undead is a challenging, turn-based strategy game that will put your skills to the test. Take on the endless hordes ofzombies by placing down your arsenal of deadly defenses. But that's not all. While your defenses fire at your enemies, you are free to run around and get up close and personal with the zombies. Take on the endless mode and see how far you can get, or if you are feeling like a challenge, play through the various campaign story lines available to you that were created specifically to provide a unique challenge. Encounter different types of zombies and unexpected challengesthat will force you to rethink your plan of attack. We're always adding new features as well, so don't forget to check back periodically to see what's new!
You can download the game from the following link:
https://nibblenerds.com/wotu.html
Feel free to ask any questions or give any feedback. The help is built into the game.
Enjoy!

Blindgoofball
Founder and lead developer at Nibble Nerds
Where gamers are united!
https://nibblenerds.com

2023-04-13 04:52:24

just downloaded it.

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2023-04-13 05:16:19

ok, tower defense games are pretty cool. I'm confused htough. I have two cannons at 4, 1 and 6,1. And neither of them was able to hit a zombie at 7,2 even though it says it has a range of 2. Also, if you turn the music too far down so it's muted and then restart the game, the music plays at full volume until you turn it up enough that the volume is back in a range that the sound system understands and mutes again, so you will want a limit on how low the volume can go to solve that problem.
Suggestion: in the i menu, the enter key will let you place the tower on the tile that way you don't need to escape out before placing.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2023-04-13 08:01:33

cannon, tower and range defense only hit the front emeny, like range is 2, cannon so you play at  3 3 , not 3 1, because 3 1 is the first front tile, front means only hit the up arrow stands for

2023-04-13 13:05:16

Oh this sounds good, it's like PvZ mixed with tower defense?

Yes please. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2023-04-13 13:40:58 (edited by germanico 2023-04-13 13:46:08)

i loved this game, but i feel zombies should gibe you  more money when you kill them, and i hope in the future, the player could do something to earn more lives and heal their character. keep with the good work!

i am the best bread in the world.

2023-04-13 14:44:43

it's fun, but sadly the player can't move diagonally but the zombie can do it. so it waste a lot of action if you want to move diagonal. Either make it so player should be able to move diagonally or make it so you can hit everything in 1 coordinate nearby.

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2023-04-13 15:18:29

also,why is it when I died, it's game over immediately? I mean I have three lives but I don't know how to use it

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2023-04-13 15:30:46

@3
Sorry that  wasn't clear. Defenses only shoot forwards, except the scattershot.
@6
There will be ways of getting more health in lives sometime soon.
@8
Lives are not related to the player's health in any way. You lose a life if a zombie gets off of the board.
Thanks for all of your suggestions guys, will definitely keep them in mind.

Blindgoofball
Where gamers are united!

2023-04-13 16:51:44

Hey all.
So, is this anything like Towers of War by Aprone? If so, I didn't have much success with that game... I kinda figured out the idea but executing it was the problem. Maybe my brain can't think strategically like that, but I kinda want to get into that style of game. I feel like they might be fun little mental exercises. And killing zombies? That's never not fun!

Since this game is turn based, I guess it's a little simpler than Towers of War. That being the case, it might be easier for me to keep up with, I dunno. How steep would you say the learning curve is for someone who hasn't really played this style of game before?

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2023-04-13 17:10:56

@10
I would not consider this game to be much like towers of war. The zombies do not follow a set path, and it is a turn-based game. It definitely is a game that takes time to get use to I would think, but if you are able to keep a map of the board in your head it isn't that complicated.

Blindgoofball
Where gamers are united!

2023-04-13 17:14:13

@11, so will you make the player be able to move diagonally too? Perhaps later?

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2023-04-13 17:24:06

@12
It is something I have considered, but I am not sure if I will add it in. I also don't know what key I would use for diagonal movement, as there is no up-left arrow key.

Blindgoofball
Where gamers are united!

2023-04-13 17:27:51

hey there.
Is this game available for Mac as well?

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2023-04-13 18:12:56

Sadly it is not. I do not own a mac and thus cannot compile the program for it.

Blindgoofball
Where gamers are united!

2023-04-13 19:10:55

Hi, congrats for your release!
This is a really cool game, I quite like it! Most strategy games are too complicated for me but I find myself able to get into this one.
I'm currently on wave12, and had to quit the game because I need to go to sleep right after making this post.
A few suggestions though.
It might be just me, but I'm wondering if cannons are a little overpowered. I mean, compared to everything else I find myself using those most often.
And a suggestion, please add conformation prompts to things such as placing defences and starting a wave after preparation. I've ruined my defences a little by being clumzy.
Also, I feel like the game slows down a little around wave8. Maybe I'm mistaken but wave8 to wave12 seemed basically the same level of difficulty.
All that being said though, I do find this quite an enjoyable game. I especially like the health and lives system being the way it is, that's quite unique.
Looking forward to see more added to this, and congrats again for your first release!

2023-04-13 20:13:36

@blindgoofball
Firstly, congrats on the release smile
I haven't downloaded it yet, but I have some suggestions.
If I'm thinking correctly, you could add turrets as an upgradable  line of defence, which could have the ability to swing around and shoot zombies from multiple directions instead of just in front.
Also it would be great to have vehicles and bases in this game, that give the player the option to either hide themselves in the base at the start of the level and put their trust in their fortifications, or they could choose to drive around in a vehicle killing zombies but obviously that brings more risk.

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2023-04-13 20:13:58

@16
Thank you for your suggestions. I will definitely keep those in mind. I understand where you are coming from about the cannons being a little overpowered. I will look into making those a little less powerful maybe. I personally feel like the difficulty doesn't stay the same on those waves, but that could just be me and you may have a very different strategy that makes it that way. When you get to the bigger waves though like wave 14 (my current record), things get tricky. It is very easy to get hit a lot and run out of health. Mwahahahahahaha. Let me know how far you get in that game. I am curious if you can beat my record. You seem to be on track for doing so.

Blindgoofball
Where gamers are united!

2023-04-13 22:24:59

I really like this, it's a unique idea for a game, and has great potential in terms of expansion, with different objects and mechanics, which I gather from the website is something that will be coming in the future.

One thing I do wonder, is whether there could be another sound effect for you getting hit by the zombies, since right now I sometimes mistook me getting hit for a cannon firing.

You might also consider giving the different health categories of zombies different names for a bit of variety, EG decaying zombie for the 2 health zombies, shambling zombie for the 3 health ones, perhaps with shamblers, ghouls, or even things like military zombi or police zombi for the tougher ones.

Other than that though, this is great! Particularly the way the zombies don't' always move the way you expect them to.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2023-04-13 22:48:22

@17
Currently the plan is to eventually allow you to rotate defenses so that they will shoot in different directions.
@19
I like the idea of giving the zombies different names, will definitely have to consider that one. I will also see about another sound effect for the player getting hit.

Blindgoofball
Where gamers are united!

2023-04-13 22:51:46

it is a really nice name, managet do get to round 0 but eventualy it'll be impossible to continue sinse the zombies health increase but the money that we get with kills dont

2023-04-13 23:06:12

@21
The money you get does increase because there are more zombies to kill. I managed to get to wave 23 a few minutes ago, and probably could have gone farther.

Blindgoofball
Where gamers are united!

2023-04-13 23:33:37 (edited by TheBlindSaiyan 2023-04-13 23:36:02)

@blindgoofball, personally  I wouldn't start nerfing weapons.
The one thing I didn't like about T O W was that eventually you start getting less and less gold for kills and you could only upgrade attributes 4 or so times.
I understand this game isn't like that, but my point is that there's no fun when you get to the point where you can't improve at all but the enemies can get ridiculously OP.

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2023-04-13 23:41:07

@23
I so far don't know if thegame does come to a point where you are unable to win no matter what. I'm sure it does sometime way way far in, but I made it to wave 23 as I said earlier, and I think I could have gone farther if I hadn't been stupid and let that zombie hit me.

Blindgoofball
Where gamers are united!

2023-04-14 01:08:02

Made it to wave 11 that time, which was two times better than the first big_smile.

I think this one will be a lot of fun, though I suspect my strategies aren't perfect yet.

One thing I do hope makes it into the game, will be maps with obstacles like rocks and trees that players and zombies cannot pass through, or even barricades the player can build, so as to funnel zombies into a firing line.

I will admit having the player not be able to move diagonally when the zombies can seems a wee bit unfair.

To move diagonally, how about using the six pack above the arrows, home for up left, end for down left, pg up for up right, pg down for down right.

The disadvantage is this would mean changing keys to raise and lower music volume, though you could use the f keys for that, also it might not be so good for some people on laptops.

Alternatively, consider using the numberpad as several mud games do: with 7 for up left, 8 for up, 9 for up right, 6 for right etc.

Again this would be difficult for those on laptops.

You could also consider using keyboard keys, a s d w to move instead of the arrows, q for up left, e for up right, z for down left, and c for down right.
I'm personally less a fan of this setup, since the keyboard keys aren't in as logical a diagonal direction as the numb pad or six pack keys, though it would have the advantage of being the same for everyone, even if imho a bit less intuative.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)