2006-01-30 21:12:46

A year after the first Top Speed racing game, Top Speed 2 has been released. Top Speed 2 is a racing game containing loads of fun elements. New for Top Speed 2 are :
- Racing against up to 7 computer opponents.
- Support for Force Feedback steering wheels and joysticks!
- Hear the cars pass you by in surround sound!
- Race against up to 7 of your friends on a local network or via the internet!
- Customize the game with the extensive options menu.
- Built in support for add-on cars and tracks.
And best of all : it's free!
You can download the game from http://www.playinginthedark.net
Also visit the community site on http://community.playinginthedark.net

Drive safely!

Davy

2006-01-31 00:30:14

Hey, I really like it!  I've already played a few online games and multiplayer really makes a game more fun. well if it's the right genre.. multiplayer pinball would suck.  Anyway the force feedback is pretty tame... was it meant to not be so pounding and more subtle?  I have a gamepad so maybe the effects are more harsh with a steering wheel.  I think ff would be a good way to represent curves - I don't know how you're supposed to know they are there without the narrator.  Where is the old school bus?

James

2006-01-31 03:43:29

Heh... congrats.

Ever heard of burnout 3? Racing game where you're supposed to take down cars and drive them into walls etc. You should make a multi-player game like that...

Discord: clemchowder633

2006-01-31 07:22:17

hehe. that would be funny. I'm gonna download ts 2 now and see what's it about.

2006-01-31 07:51:10

well the first time i tried it worked pretty fine, but the second time it didn't close. then when i pressed enter the engine sound gone away, and i loaded my screen reader to see what happened and the program wanted to create an error report.

2006-01-31 09:44:35

Same here. Happened only once, though, and I can find no way of reproducing it

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2006-01-31 13:55:34

actually when i did quick start it worked, now when i do single race it usually produces the error.

2006-01-31 18:36:56

For me it works fine, only i have to search a multi player opponent
Big smile

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-01-31 19:11:20

well, i can be one but i don't get this. does it say a message if a player joins your sever or not? can anyone help?

2006-01-31 20:36:30 (edited by Davy 2006-01-31 20:36:58)

Hi Arjan and the rest,
I just received an error report from someone by mail. Do you experience the crash right after or during finish, about 1 times in 4? If so, it might help setting the difficulty to something other then easy. We will probably release a patch for this. If the problem persists could you send me a tracing.txt file from the Top Speed folder right after the crash? It could give me some clues where to look.
Thanks,
Davy
BTW : my email is [email protected]

2006-01-31 21:37:18 (edited by robjoy 2006-01-31 21:57:22)

okay, i just played a multi player game, and at first you have to start, and you have to enter, you know when the start your engine sound plays.
After, it tell your friends that join.
Then you will hear player2 joined, etc.
If all the players joined to the current game, then press enter to start the game.
Note that this only works when you are a server.
Sometimes, you can catch me with multi playing, my address is:
robjoy.myip.hu
Or, you can send a post to this forum, and we can play smile
Davi, you and your team just did a wonderfull work, congratulations, keep up this excellent work!
Btw, as i edit this post, i found some sound files, which the game not uses (at least i think), for example car5, which is the old school bus, and the fixed distance sound as well.
Or maybe now i revealed a cheat code's car?
lol

Best regards:
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-02-01 08:39:08

i don't think in the documentation it says how to create own tracks and cars. is there going to be an addon available that lets you create them?
well, i've had some trouble here. i set up a server, pressed enter and waited, and my friend had my ip, and when he tried join an internet game, it didn't work. Same happened for me, when i tried to join him on his server, there was just a message searching for games and after a minute i was teleported back to the multiplayer menu. right, can anyone explain what i've done wrong?

2006-02-01 13:09:06

robjoy:
Is your server open and is this adress correct: robjoy.myip.hu?
I am looking for an internet game now.
Bye,
Lord_Raven

2006-02-01 13:09:40

Hello,
In the document you can read that Davi will post information about how to create your own cars and tracks, on the topspeed community site.

About multi playing
Check that your firewall dont disable topspeed 2, after yuo will try to search a server, it will display a dialog about topspeed, and you can press the enable button to enable the internet access for it.
After it, make sure that you havent got dinamic ip, otherwise you'll need a dns server. There are free dns servers like myip.org, and so on.
Okay.
I will explain how to set up a server and how can you join to it:
if you are the server:
run topspeed, choose the multiplayer game, and select host a new game.
Choose the track, choose your car, then you will be in the beginning of the track. It will say: waiting for players, press enter to start.
It is quite simple, when your friend joined to your server, you will hear that player two has joined, after it you can press enter to start the game.
Always choose the host a new game option, and dont forget to choose a track and a wehicle, and your transmission settings as well.
If you wanna join to a server.
Make sure that your firewall is not blocking topspeed.
(i am talked about windows firewall, wich comes with win xp sp2 previously)
Then write your friends ip address in the server selector program, and press ok.
After it , run topspeed, choose the multiplayer game, choose join an internet game.
After it, the game will try to join to the specified ip.
If you are behind a router, then in most situations, you cant host a game, however it can possible with dns servers, and with your router's ip address as well, but i wont explain it now.
If you wanna play with tpspeed2, then you have to decide which track do you wanna play with.
Then the fun can start.
Hope that i could help.

I would like to make a tournament, where eight players can multiplay against each other, it would be fun.
Well, the lesson starts right now, so i have to go and learn smile
Best regards:
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-02-01 13:38:33

right, but how can i check if the program is blocking ts. right, when i tried to host a game i could start my jaws but when the program is searching for games, i can't for some reason and can't see the message. i did everything what you said, though.

2006-02-01 15:54:19

okay.
Start topspeed, without unloading jaws.
Navigate in the menu with the up and down arrows, just press before the key pass keystroke (by default it is insert plus 3)
Press enter on multi player game
select host a new game, and press enter
for now, if your firewall blocking ts2, then you should see a dialog, if you cant see, try pressing alt+tab, then jaws should read it. If you cant see the firewall's message, probably then ts2 is enabled.

For the ts team, i have a request.
I think ts2 would be nice with this features:
1. interruptability in the menus: means that when you press the down arrow from quick start, then it will stop the previous menuitem's sound (and with the up arrow as well)
2. The ability to race against computer cars in street adventures too.

Best regards,
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-02-01 16:04:02

i said before that i managed to unblock it with creating an own server.

2006-02-01 18:30:06

see, its when it comes to searching for an internet game. argh, that probably means i have a router. i already thought i had a routre but was not sure.

2006-02-01 18:34:36

i love the game. davi, and anyone else who's interested: sometimes when i start a race against computer opponents, i get "top speed mfc aplication error", and one of those windows dialogs that sometimes comes up: "top speed 2 has encountered an error and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience." etc etc etc. i always click "don't send" button.
please fix this. also sometimes when a race is finished, and i select a car and things, the game takes a really really long time to start, or sometimes doesn't start at all.
that is, a multiplayer game race. but the computer one is the "don't send" thingy, if ya know what i mean. i tried to also go on community.playinginthedark.net and it came up with "bt yahoo! search results". sometimes it sometimes comes with "cannnot find server". i wana know how to make cars and tracks! i really wana know!

2006-02-01 19:32:01

Hi Aaron,
As I said in one of the previous posts, the game can crash when playing on the "easy" difficulty level. A patch will be released soon, but untill then, set the game to normal or hard.
The long waiting time in multiplayer is because it's the person running the server that decides when the race starts. If the server starts the race before you have selected your car, you have to wait untill the next race.

Robjoy,
about your third suggestion : we'll be releasing the street adventures as an addon track shortly. This will allow you to race them against computer computer opponents.

Drive safely!
Davy

2006-02-01 21:08:21

Well guys, this game is avesome.
Try the Belgium track with hard difficulty, heh it is really hard, but i love when computer cars crash lol.
And which is the best level for laughing, i mean track, is the austria one. Lol it isfuny, when the computer cars crash after a hard left, and a hairpin left, smile
I dont know that is works in ts2 or not, but in the racing games for the sighted, when you hit the opponent's car, then you can push it to the side of the road, so that is a way which you can be the first opponent, and i think it is really good.

Best regards,
Robjoy
Ah btw arjan, if you wanna multiplay against me, i can host a server, so you can join and we can see who is the best tongue

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-02-01 21:32:30

hello davy
the game is awesome! good job
just 2 questions:
1. what was the langwage used to write topspeed 2?
2. what media library the game uses to manege user input and sound manipulation
thanks

2006-02-01 22:05:34

Could someone please try the following ip adress to join an internet game: 84.174.108.227?
I am trying to host an internet game.
Bye,
Lord_Raven

2006-02-01 23:16:47

Hi, about the questions :
Top Speed was written in C++ in combination with DirectX. But I'm thinking of using C# for the next project. DirectX is used for everything : sound, input, force feedback, networkplay. I do use the ogg format for soundfiles. Ogg is a compression format simular to mp3 but license free and open source. It was easy to integrate the ogg libraries with DirectX. With it we were able to compress quite a lot of audio into the 7 megabyte download.
And Robjoy, if you hit a car, it does bump away. But you have to hit it pretty hard to bump it of the road.

2006-02-02 01:57:32

Hi,
I got two questions
1. I am having trouble starting the server. Ihave a router, and i forwarded the ports. I am usually able to run things fine, but this is weird...the first time i run the server, it starts fine. and i can play. but then once i exit the server and restart it it doesnt start. It just sits there for about a minute then goes back to the menus. It doesn't work again til I reset my router. Can you help?

2. How do I get the cheat cars like the old school bus?
Thanks

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org