2006-01-30 03:22:55

Okay, now I've got some time off, I've finally decided to look into the hole mud thing. I've briefly played a very basic one using Telnet, but it wasn't great sinse there weren't really any in game missions to do, just lots of fairly boring monster whacking.
what I'm looking for firstly is a reasonable client that'll work with windows Xp. I'm not using Jaws so won't need one with map files, but will certainly need one that'll tolerate screen readers.

then I'm looking for a mud which has a good large world to explore, and lots of in game pre-set tasks to perform. I'm not too bothered about killing or competing with other players, (though chatting or going on missions with them might be fun),  and I'd like to do something that's a bit more interesting than smacking lots of monsters just for the purpose of advancing in rank.

If someone could give me some advice I'd be verry greatfull.

thanks.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-01-30 09:25:25

the best mud for that would be alter eon, perhaps you should check out the alter eon posts

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-01-30 09:49:28

check out www.mud.arctic.org

Arctic mud is probably the absolute best mud I've ever played.  A mud client you might want to try is JMC.  go to www.google.com and look up JMC mud client, you should find it pretty easily

2006-01-30 10:50:50

I recommend you godwars 2, which is way better than alter aeon, however, you cant group with players, but you can follow them, and you can help them to kill mobs, or vice versa.
the url is:
www.godwars2.com
Where you will find information about how to connect, gameplay, etc.

See ya on gw2
(my name is erion there)

Best regards,
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-01-30 16:30:10

well i prefer godwars2 too, but in clients i think GMud is much better than other clients, since you can make triggers, aliases and lots more! i think i don't need to mention that it's free. check out www.gutterstar.net, and sign up there. you'll find some programs there with their jfw scripts. since you're not using jfw, you must try GMud and see if it works with your screen reader without any scripts or something.

2006-01-30 18:36:53

i use gmud but gw2 is getting boring i played it for a while and liked it but it is getting a bit boring, the main goal is you have to kill monsters and other players. and in the nexus you can be playerkilled by if you're an age 100 player even an age 300 player can kill you.
and yes, aa does have grouping, which is really nice. also, you need to pay gold for stuff. this is good because you cannot just get the best weapon in the newbie store for free. it makes it a bit more interesting. it also supports multiclassing.
I'm sorry, i don't want to offend the gw2 players, but this is just my opinion.

2006-01-30 19:16:59 (edited by cx2 2006-01-30 19:18:20)

If you prefer sci fi try awakened worlds
www.awakenedworlds.net
It's based on the pen and paper game Shadowrun, and has magic as well as hacking. There are no classes at all, instead of experience you earn karma and as long as you have the karma you can do anything more or less. There's also a big chargen area with cyberware implants, skill selection and equipment. You can't start with the best stuff, but you aren't starting with junk either.
Alternatively I like Battletech Mux
www.btmux.com
Currently we can only use the helicopters (vtols), but this should change eventually. It's a faction based game that's PK only pretty much, but it's good when a lot of people in your faction are on and someone decides to lead an op to capture a base/relay/generator. We can use mechs and vehicles if the enemy gets to range 12 or so of a base, but otherwise like I said it's only vtols. It can be a bit dull when things are quiet though, depends when you're on. It's not a standard mud, you don't simply walk through rooms. It's a text based game still, but you control a vehicle of some sort. Commands like heading and speed are used to navigate the world. No exploration though, but you can buy units or upgrades to your skills.

Edit:
If you don't want to worry about losing equipment after death I know Alter Aeon has no death penalties other than experience and any gold you're carrying, losing eq gets annoying in awake

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-01-30 20:58:39

Well there's obviously a lot of controversy going on here. I think I'm going to have to try something and see how it sutes me.
I only hope I can get the connecting fixed. i tried to connect to alterean using Telnet, but for some reason the connection didn't work. This might be something to do with Telnet, (why i'm looking for another client), or it might be something to do with the university network, which is generally silly in many ways (It has arguements whenever I try and install net framework).

If it is the network, I'll have to wait until I move out in a few months to try mudding.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-01-30 21:58:29

Yeah, I think gw2 is alot better, but it's pretty hard for who are new to muds. So, I recommend you alter aeon too, it was the first mud I ever played and it's
very newbie friendly.

2006-01-31 03:20:59

Well,

I would recommend Monkey Term, because it was made by the blind and for the blind. Well, the client wasn't, but the library was.

www.randylaptop.com/mudding

God Wars 2 isn't only about killing in that it's pointless fighting, you kill the class, subclass and gain primal. You gain powers, and things, and you can do quests in the future. Think they're implementing it.

Discord: clemchowder633

2006-01-31 13:08:53

Okay, first thing's first, I'll get a working client, then I'll experiment with muds, Alterean does indeed look fun, and there's another one advertised on Whitestick.co.uk called realm of magic that boasts over 50 quests, and sinse quests is what I'm interested in I might give that a go.

2006-01-31 13:53:29

alter does have a lot of quests too.
well yes if you're new to muds i'd prefer alter aeon. im not asying that gw2 is bad, but if you're starting with muds it is hard.  someone also said on alter you only lose exp and gold, but you also lose a bit of your knowledge of a random spell or skill you have. well yes monkeyterm is for the blind and create by the blind, but on the other hand, like parham said, gMud has aliases, triggers, and other cool stuff. i think monkeyterm does have such kind of thing too, on there you can download sound packs. on randylatop. um i mean randylaptop. there is a sound pack for godwars2, alter aeon, and a mud which i don't remember.

2006-02-01 22:34:09

Ah, forgot about the skill loss. It's a while since I played, and it was never much, a few percent. I think the skills and spells are measured in percents, so losing 5% isn't major. Better than losing everything you own in one fell swoop, thank you very much Awakened Worlds for putting a hostile mob in a shopping area...

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-02-02 08:00:56

yes, it's only a few percents, but if you keep losing the same skill or a skill which is hard to train (such as armored skin), it gets annoying, armored skin is in a hard area and you have to kill stuff to get to the trainer, and i managed to pass them with help. but, i don't know the way. so if you lose that, it gets annoying.

2006-02-02 17:43:37

Well I've had a brief look at Monkey term, and while it looks fun to play with, I'm not sure it's worth me spending the time setting up something that complex which might be squashed by the university network. I should probably try a basic download and connect client, see how that works, then look for something with triggers or sound packs or what have you.
I've tried Jmc mud client in google, but for some reason it didn't come up. what's this g mud thing? where do I get it?

2006-02-02 20:12:41

For gmud try
www.gutterstar.net
It's also got script files for Jaws. They're not necessary, but make it nicer. They include a setting to interrupt speech when certain text comes on screen.

If you're having trouble at University connecting there's a good chance their proxy server's only responding to certain ports. Port 80 is designated for HTTP web page access, and most of the other ports aren't needed. Since universities have their own email server they don't need to let machines access outside email connections, and anything else could be hacking attempts or other malicious actions. Muds tend to use funny ports so they don't get confused with web page requests and that sort of thing, so the proxy probably doesn't let them through because it doesn't know what they are. It's worth trying, but if it just doesn't work that's the likely answer.

cx2
-----

2006-02-06 18:17:53

Tar muchly, I'm not using Jaws, but the mud programme should stil work with Hal.

the University thing is rather inconvenient, but a litle strange. i tried Lorimud, from the Whitestick.co.uk website and that generally worked fine, but the mud itself was far too simplistic to be really interesting. When i tried to connect to altereon though, Telnet appeared, said connecting then suddenly vanished! I'm hoping this is something to do with telnet and not the network, but I'm probably hoping in vane, like Net Framework I'll probably have to put mud playing on hold for a few months until I move out of colidge.

2006-02-06 18:24:15

Look up the connection details on the web site, then open the mud client seperately and give it the address and port. Telnet shouldn't be an issue this way.

cx2
-----