2011-01-09 14:34:48

Nice thought drg, though I'm not sure how easy to implement it would be given that Aprone has already coded in the unlocking thing.

Stil, even if it can't be added for this game maybe it might be for daytona Ii.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-01-09 15:24:00

I finally gave it a try, using a trackpad.

The claw is hard. tongue
After a while, I could get going well enough that I could do it somewhat quickly. But that doesn't last very long, and I can't get going again until I've lost all of my coins.
I sometimes have a similar problem with the arrow, but it is much easier to perform. I'd say at least two thirds of the time (probably more) is me trying to get the claw to work.

I was able to get the choir's chanting to its second stage once... usually I'd hover right on the brink of the first level with the choir, going back and forth.

The way the mouse buttons are positioned on my pad, I use the crack between the two to line myself up if I get mixed up. I found myself going off to the left a lot. smile

I think both instructing methods are useful, though I do spend most of my time with the musical notes. The beacon is good for getting a feel for the shape, and the music makes it easier to tell what you're doing and what mistakes you make.

A bit of a bigger problem, I think, is that whenver the game loses focus, I can't get back to it, even to close it--it doesn't even show up in my task bar. I had to use the task manager to close it the first time.
There were several instances while I was playing that the music stopped for a few seconds. Since I didn't have Jaws on, I don't know if that was because it lost focus and somehow got it back, or if it's something else entirely. I wound up quitting when it did it and didn't come back... though it did it two or three times before that and recovered.

For all the frustration, it's still fun. Thanks! smile

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-01-09 15:48:01

Oh, don't worry. I'm not discouraged, I love the game. I was just wondering why I wasn't getting anywhere. lol
I did see the bucket of water example, very good one too.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2011-01-09 17:08:40

Drg and Dark, I agree with you both.  It would be best to only unlock levels for the current difficulty, but it will also be a bit trickier to set that up since I've already coded the level unlocks.  For the moment I've uploaded a new version that adds and fixes a few things.  There are more things I still need to do but I didn't want to waste Any time getting the difficulty settings out and in to everyone's hands.  Adding all of the planned changes is good, but keeping people from being frustrated is better!  This will let people try the game on easier settings while I continue working.  Oh, and I do plan to make it so that levels unlocked will only unlock them in that difficulty it just isn't implemented in this version yet.  Actually I should warn people that any levels you unlock will only count as easy mode once I do add that next part.

Hard mode is identical to the game you've been playing all along.  The way I figured things, I can always add something like "Very hard" or "Impossible" if we start accumulating masters who can fly through hard mode and not break a sweat lol.  smile

I believe I've fixed the bug that sometimes kept the music and game sounds going if you switched over to the training section.  I also fixed the training sounds so they match the actual game when you are not in sound map mode.  There was a mix up where the sound map for Claw and Arrow switched during the actual game, that is fixed now.  I wasn't able to get the menu to crash but it is possible I had already fixed that bug earlier but I hadn't uploaded that new version yet.  Please keep your eyes open and let me know if you spot more.  big_smile

CAE_Jones, I'm looking in to the lost focus problem.  I knew people had some problems with the Towers game originally so I thought I had this one set up to never get "lost".  Apparently I still need to work on it a bit more, thanks for letting me know.  If you were hovering between music stages then you are probably pretty evenly matched with how fast the coins drain away.  I'd suggest you use the Normal or Easy difficulty and you should build up to the next level.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-01-09 19:41:30

I made it to level 4! smile

I think what I have a hard time with is going from a shape with curves to a shape with more straight lines, and vice-versa. Razor - strike - claw is relatively easy, arrow - shelter - shelter is relatively easy, but razor - shelter - claw and arrow - claw - arrow are relatively difficult. smile

After working with it for long enough, most shapes get a lot easier. I was surprised when shelter turned up in level 3 and I had a hard time getting it to work, even though it was very easy during practice.

I need to learn a better way to keep my extra fingers out of the way... holding them like that for so long can be painful. big_smile

Not only is this game fun, but it has a good sense of atmosphere. You definitely have something, here.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-01-09 21:51:19

Wow level 4!  I didn't know anyone had even made it to level 2 yet, nice!  big_smile  CAE_Jones, I ran in to the same situation where shapes suddenly got hard even though I had been doing them easily in another level or practice.  For me, I eventually discovered I was angling my arm after certain shapes so when I went to draw again I was keeping it angled when I wasn't supposed to.

Lol I hope I have something here since I've started working on the sequel game.  It would be sad if I wasted time making a sequel and the first didn't become popular.  I'm So glad I separated the next part into its own game.  I've had to make major changes to code and I lost count on all of the spots that would have broken the old code without a whole lot of extra work making them get along nicely.

I'm not quite ready, but the next update will fix the level unlocking so that it knows which difficulty setting you used.  I will also be replacing the sound map beeps with actual notes like Aminiel suggested.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-01-09 22:14:52

Congrats on getting the new version out the door.

hopefully anticipation will stop me from horribly murdering too many people due to train frustration tomorrow, ---- especially if the damnable thing is delayed as much as it was before christmas, ---- about 29 hours! though i was able to go back to my flat the first day when i found out no trains were running, so I didn't actually sleep on he platform though i did spend five solid hous there the next day.

Eitherway i'll look forward to trying it tomorrow.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-01-10 01:03:58

Well such a train ride would most certainly drive me insane.  I hope it goes well for you Dark.

I've just uploaded a tiny update that fixes a few problems.  I found a few bugs myself and cleared them out.  I had switched the sounds over to actual piano notes and both me and my wife hated how it sounded.  I'm not sure if it is because we're used to hearing the exiting ones, but it just sounded "wrong" to us both.  I'll play with it a bit more, but if I can't get it to have the right "feel" I'll probably end up leaving the sounds as they are.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-01-10 02:32:20

Hey Aprone,

Something I just was thinking of was the ability to go right to the spell menu from within the training. Instead of having the escape button bring you back to the main menu, and having to go to consult the book of gold when you want to change the spell you're working on, you can make a button to bring you right to the spell menu.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2011-01-10 03:31:34

OK, couple questions/suggestions:
1. When it tells you a level has been unlocked, is that it? You have finished the level? The reason I ask this is because I got to level two, and the level kept going. Should I just move to the next level?
2. Are you sure there's nothing wrong with Claw? lol I swear I do it correctly, the tones sound like they should, and it gives me a no no. Why can't I hit the Claw right all the time? I know I'm doing it right, like I said, the tones sound right, and nothing. I have to try a million times before I get it.
3. See question 1 above. If the level is indeed over after it tells you a level has been unlocked, I think there should be a key to bring you right to the level selection menu. Instead of having escape bring you back to the main menu where you can train and all that, it should bring you to the level menu. This makes things easier. There should still be a key to bring you to the main menu, but also a key to bring you to the level menu. Don't know if this is possible, but thought I'd throw it out there.
4. Lastly, The sounds are still not correct when you press A in the game. I.E, I pressed A when it was telling me to do the Claw, and I got the Arrow.

2011-01-10 03:59:38

Staindaddict, I'm looking to see what could still be wrong with the sounds.  If the problem is still showing up for you then I must have missed something.  You actually already can switch between shapes when in the training section.  Use the Left and Right arrow keys.  When a level announces it is unlocked that also means you have begun that level.  A new level will say "Unlocked" only the first time you unlock it, if you started the game over and beat the first level it would only announce "Level 2".  You don't need to go back to the menu to start on level 2, you are already there.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-01-10 04:10:06

hi aprone and all.
now i arrived home and i really want my trackpad back!
this mouse is the worst thing i've ever seen!
it's crap, when i move a little it already recognises my movements, thus making it almost
impossible to do anything. any help would be appreciated.
is there something that i could configure to stop doing it?
thanks!

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2011-01-10 04:17:35

Well drg, it sounds like your mouse is set to be extremely sensitive.  I'm not sure which operating system you're using, but it should be in Control Panel.  Somewhere there you'll see either Hardware or Devices, and you should spot Mouse.  Pointer options should have a slider bar that you adjust to determine how sensitive your mouse will be.  I hope that helps!

Hmm, now I'm wondering if I should put a setting within the game itself that lets people adjust the mouse sensitivity during the game.  It wouldn't actually change it in general, it would only be a change within the game.  I'd like to hear if anyone else is having mouse sensitivity issues so I'll know if this is worth adding.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-01-10 04:39:47

Aprone,

Just one more question... If the level is complete when you hear level has been unlocked, how come the shapes don't change automatically? I got level two unlocked, and then it kept going with Claw and Arrow. Can the shapes be changed automattally?

2011-01-10 04:41:40

Unless there is a bug I'm not yet aware of, you do have a new shape mixed in.  It is random so you might just be randomly getting just those 2 right now.  The 3rd shape should be showing up eventually.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-01-10 06:45:19

Yeah, the new shapes show up randomly with every level that you unlock, but the old ones still show up quite often. It works pretty well for me.

... I knew I was going to have a dream about this game. I didn't expect it to be my trackpad breaking in half, though. big_smile

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-01-10 13:54:05

hi aprone, i'm using windows xp.
i'll try to mess with these settings and see
if it do any good, but i think that a configuration separated specific to this(
(and possibly other games that you develope)
would be a good choice.
peraps a small program that stores the data in a file .cfg located in the appdata
directory, so all of your games that use the mouse could point it to this file ir order to
work. yesterday i already tried to change the values in the pointers and it didn't solved the
problem. i don't think it's my mouse, cause i tried with a usb and a wireless one.
thanks.

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2011-01-10 16:34:00

CAE_Jones, ROFL I thought your post was hilarious!  I've dreamed about games too.

Drg, I wanted to ask if you have a lot of experience using a mouse.  Odds are it is a sensitivity thing, and I am already started on a way to adjust it for the next version, but I did wonder.  If you are used to only using track pads you are used to small and slow movements.  On a mouse, you can move much faster and move it several inches for a single line if you like.  If you haven't tried it already, I'd suggest you try moving quickly and for a few inches with each line you wish to draw.  If that doesn't help, don't worry about it since you will be able to adjust the sensitivity in the game soon enough.  smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-01-10 19:37:56

Sorry for the double post, but I've uploaded another update so try to help drg.  At any time you can press numbers 1-9 or 0 and you'll hear a chime.  Each of these lowers the mouse sensitivity to a certain level.  If you've been happy with how it always was, press 1 or just don't press anything.  The game defaults to the sensitivity it always has used.  For others who have the same problem as drg, try pressing other numbers until you find one that works well for you.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-01-10 19:47:37

hi aprone.
thank you very much for this addition, i'll download the update right now and see!

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2011-01-10 20:20:30

Hi Aprone,

I don't want to sound greedy or anything, but will the update with unlocking levels at each difficulty be released today? For some reason, I don't want to start playing the game as best I can until this update is released. The rate in which you are producing updates is incredible, so I just thought I'd ask. Awesome job!

2011-01-10 20:39:08

hi staindaddict, you can already start playing the game,
your progress is saved to each difficulty that you complete.
for example, i just unlocked level 2 now on easy, i tried to access it on medium
and it said locked, but for easy it worked.
this was implemented yesterday.
aprone, this way of configuring the sensitivity is sooo good.
as you can see now i managed to unlock level 2, i'm trying to master strike,
it's better than claw
awesome job indeed! the bugs are apparently all fixed!
the only thing that is strange is that while playing, if i press either tab or shift tab
and move the mouse, click to draw the shapes, etc it freezes, it will only
work if you press escape and play again. also, what about using the wheel to change between
normal / musical modes instead of a? and while in the musical mode, it would be good to be able
to know what you have to do by pressing right mouse button just like the other mode.

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2011-01-10 20:54:42

Ah, thanks for that. I didn't know it had been updated. I'm trying to follow the updates very closely, but they're coming out so fast. lol Aprone, does this mean the game is complete? Will there be any other additions?

2011-01-10 21:20:54

hi, i think he's working in the next game,
daytona 2 that will feature the letters that you will have to draw.
can't wait for it, this will be fun.
if you guys want, i can make a review of this game, i'm still sometimes having difficulties
with claw, but i can try to explain how the game works.
btw aprone, a pause game feature would be good, for example, when i'm logged to msn and wanna
see what others are talking.
thanks!

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2011-01-10 22:20:51

Oh! i am absolutely excited and overwhelmed. so much has happened before I was able to get back online. I feel almost sorry for not being able to follow the progress as each new update was posted but I am definitely thrilled to try the game in its current state. thanks for such rapid development, aprone, I just can't get how this is humanly possible. LOL
downloading right now and I'll probably be spending the night with the game. :-)
Thanks, man, you rock! Looking forward to Datona 2, Datona 3 and Datona 156. :-D
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.