2022-06-18 18:28:40

I couldn't find a topic on this after searching, but Dropbox has drastically changed their layout for PC. Don't worry though, it's still accessible at least with NVDA.
It acts like a web browser. All you have to do is right-click or press the applications key on the icon in your system tray. Some things you have to activate focus mode on, like sync history and activity sections, but the settings dialog hasn't really changed, you can get to it from the "Access and manage your Dropbox settings" button in the web page lookalike. Also there's a quit option.

The Dropbox NVDA addon is currently partially broken, pressing insert+alt+d 3 times puts you in the same window I've mentioned, but if you use the addon to visit it, it's unresponsive. So for now, you have to right-click the system tray icon, shift-F10 on the icon, or applications key the same icon.

2022-06-20 18:39:00

Do you even need an NVDA addon at this point? I should go get it and try it, I gave up on dropbox because its interface was unusable shit. Maybe if they've made it work like a web app, you'll actually be able to get somewhere now. I've been using OneDrive instead, although I'm sure I've still got some stuff up on Dropbox I haven't bothered fighting with the interface to find out or delete things.

2022-06-20 19:49:01

Dropbox still works with file explorer on my laptop, haven't tried this new edition

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2022-06-20 21:18:22

I'll just say this, thank fuck I use Pcloud and not dropbox to backup my shit. I mean they are always changing stuff left right and centre, its a mess. It hasn't changed much for mac, for now but damn.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2022-06-20 23:27:00

I've pretty much stopped using dropbox altogether. Google drive is much better, offering more space with the free option. What I will give dropbox however is how easy it is to share files with someone.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2022-06-21 00:21:04

And this happens just as I begin a migration from Dropbox to Google Drive. The interface had absolutely nothing to do with this change, and it has no baring on my choice to switch, however it's an ironic coincidence nonetheless.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2022-06-21 04:09:01 (edited by Kevan 2022-06-21 04:09:25)

Since most people I've known over the years use Dropbox to share files and folders, I still use it.
One Drive is crap, keeps losing focus when I try navigating the window from the system tray icon. At least with NVDA... I've had to kill it with task manager before because of not being able to find a quit button.
Google Drive I've never tried, but will consider it.

2022-06-21 04:28:34

I hate the interface of all of them, but OneDrive is the worst, I have a deep-seated hatred for the thing.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2022-06-21 04:31:15

I'm not attempting to invalidate the experiences of those who are having issues with this, but I really, really don't understand this.

I have a dropbox icon on my desktop. When I click it, I get a list of folders, then followed by a list of loose files. If I click a folder, it pops open just the way a folder would in file explorer. Using Windows 10 here, I should add. If I click the file, it either plays (if it's a music or video file) or just opens (if it's text). I can very easily right-click to copy a dropbox link or to do other things, like sharing. For me, absolutely nothing has changed.
I've never, ever used any sort of add-on for this, and Jaws is still my primary screenreader except when I'm playing certain audio games.
Can someone explain what the situation is, and why people's experiences appear to be so very different?

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2022-06-21 06:03:32 (edited by Draq 2022-06-21 06:04:24)

My only real annoyance is with the Dropbox website when trying to look through lists of files, events, folders, etc. When scrolling through the list, it loads new files in such a way that it causes the screen reader focus to jump up or down several items making it nearly impossible to find things.

2022-06-21 18:53:16 (edited by Kevan 2022-06-21 18:53:43)

@10 Are you using the table navigation commands? Those seem to help at least with NVDA sometimes. Too bad you can't restore deleted files from within the app.

I did just notice that pressing NVDA+Alt+D three times with the NVDA addon now opens the Dropbox app's web view I mentioned earlier. Not sure if it's just an intermittent problem.

2022-06-21 19:03:01 (edited by Nikola 2022-06-21 19:03:22)

Actually I don't get why there is such a hatred for any interface. On DropBox or OneDrive, you almost never have to use the tray icon. Granted, you might have  to do  it once so you can access settings and configure it the way you like, but  after that, I am actually really interested why people care. The only possible situation is if you want to pause sincing for  a certain period, but that particular function seemed to be accessible enough in both places.
In regards to the NVDA addon for Dropbox, the reason I personally keep it is because it offers a global shortcut, NVDA  Alt D by default, which will tell you your Dropbox status from anywhere. Whether it's downloading, sincing, uploading, or just doing nothing (up to date).
It used to offer more functionality like allow you to switch tabs in Dropbox settings back when that was inaccessible, but I believe that  is not the case anymore. As someone also said a triple press of the shortcut will also directly open the Dropbox system tray menu although I don't  really use that feature, so no it is not particularly essential to access Dropbox, but it is a nice convenience to  have.

2022-06-21 20:40:58 (edited by ignatriay 2022-06-21 20:45:33)

Have to agree about one drive... its terrible. I mean no personal vault on mac, emptying the trash is a pain on the neck, even in ios, as there seems to be no, empty trash, button, forcing you to select the files one by one and deleate them... just terrible, and google drive... isn't much better, either. Not the mention the obvious, all of the platforms mentioned above... just have subcription not perpetual, which, after paying years and years... you'll be waisting thousands of dollars. I personally hate  subscriptions, with a passion. They have their place yes, but some software... isn't one of them.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2022-06-22 00:47:41

The last time I used Dropbox, and this was pre-2020 I'm pretty sure, I had migrated machines, and when I installed it again, it had some sort of sync issue. I had to get sighted help to fix it, because the interface didn't want to let me, though I don't remember why at this point. I'm also not super keen on the idea of shared folders, since I seem to recall quite a few viruses spreading that way, at least according to posts on here.

2022-06-22 03:27:13

@11 Yep. I tried table layer navigation. In JAWS it ends up skipping rows when loading or removing items from the list. It's probably just the method they're using to update the page.

2022-06-22 05:28:29

You still have to access the system tray icons to quit/exit from Dropbox, One Drive, etc.

@12 It's spelled syncing, not sincing. This is minor, but still my TTS reads it incorrectly.

2022-06-25 23:58:19

I'll be amongst the first to say that OneDrive's interface across all platforms is terrible, however I still use it. Why? It comes with my Microsoft365 subscription for 1 TB space (so that's one less subscription I need to keep track of). The built-in Windows integration is... well it's again one less thing I have to do I guess. Ideally it would create a virtual drive like Keybase and PCloud do but... that would be too nice after all. The iOS interface is shit in particular, especially in the file previewer and as far as playing media goes. The app is criminally underdeveloped for iPadOS (I mean there's no columns view for fuck sake). There's also no way to have audio and videos play sequentially (you know... like a playlist?). That's stupid. Dropbox's interface is much better in my short experience, but I find their marketting obnoxious and their pricing unfriendly to the wallet.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2022-06-26 06:10:42

Unfortunately I can only agree, that all those cloud/drive things have terrible interfaces for screen reader users: personal experience with dropbox, OneDrive and google, but they all kinda suck.

2022-06-26 10:06:00 (edited by hadi.gsf 2022-06-26 10:12:30)

I use mega and it's fully accessible on ios, android and desktop and web, the gui on desktop is also 100% accessible.
I got  my account years ago when they offered 50 gb of free storage and since been using it for personal files.
I do have dropbox too. IT seems alright, but i only have 5.5 gb of free storage on it.
I have the headless mega client on my servers  which let me use my files in command line environments as well, i'm sure dropbox has that too.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2022-06-26 13:08:48

Note that the following opinion is based off prior experiences from multiple years ago, therefore the views expressed may no longer be as representative of Mega.
@hadi.gsf, The Mega whose website is a pain to navigate around since it is devoid of any landmarks or headings? Yeah, right. Well I suppose you said accessible, not enjoyable. The Windows app? You mean that UWP garbage? I quit after my first five minutes of Microsoft.container.app.WhateverTheFuckTheWeirdStringsWere. Okay sure, the iOS and Android apps weren't half bad (say for some unlabelled buttons) when I tried them. That's not even the crux of my personal issue with them though. When I signed up for my account, they pushed the whole 50 GB thing super hard, only to find out that 35 of those were only an intro bonus that would only last a month, after which they would be deducted. This of course meant that I would have 15 GB remaining. Does 15 GB sound familiar to you? I don't think I've seen this marketing in other areas, but I find it super scummy and it was an instant turn-off for me.
That being said, if anything has changed for the better since my experience, do let me know.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2022-06-26 14:06:56 (edited by hadi.gsf 2022-06-26 14:07:47)

@Minionslayer the windows app is not based on uwp anymore. you download it from their website and it comes with standard windows controls.
The web app is alright, it takes a bit to get used to.
I know the 50gb offerings are gone, but my account does have 50 gb of  storage, i have 30 gb of it full at the moment. i signed up for mega at 2013.
dropbox, onedrive, google drive and mega are all good apps, I just like mega because it gives me more data storage and it can run on headless linux servers.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi