2022-05-03 17:31:20

Hi all

Got arch base system running here pretty nicely. Accept that I don't get speech from espeakup once I've entered my username and my passwd to login. This base system is pretty basic, and I didn't install using any script, neither the archinstall that's came with arch by default nore other scripts. Here is what I have appended for my installation.
pacstrap -i /mnt base linux linux-headers alsa-utils alsa-plugins espeakup espeak-ng speakup-utils pipewire pipewire-alsa speech-dispatcher.
After all was complete, I chroot into the system, configured a few things, install some more stuff like the grub bootloader and all that. After everything is done, I've exited from chroot, and shutdown the VM.
But the moment of truth is disappointing, because  no speech is came through when I've booted up the system. Tried alsamixer then up arrow a few times, right arrow once, up arrow a few times, no luck.
Anything I'm missing here? Been wanting to try ratpoison with this thing.

2022-05-03 17:54:29

you forgot to install orca. Also, enable espeakup with sudo systemctl enable espeakup

2022-05-03 17:58:19

I don't see espeakup running on that system.

You need to get espeakup running yes. You have a fairly good setup there and if you're not installing a DE you don't need Orca at all.

I don't see xorg or Wayland in that setup however, but it's a base system so it's entirely your call

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2022-05-03 18:52:13

Orca's a desktop screen reader and there's no desktop environment in there, so its not needed. Though curious why you installed pipewire if you're not going to do desktop stuff.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2022-05-04 04:03:22 (edited by Socheat 2022-05-04 04:04:20)

@bgt lover
I don't see the need to install Orca, because I don't plan to use the desktop environment on this VM.
@JaceK
What I'm planning to do is, to get this base system running, then I think I can install xorg and whatnot later once I've logged in. And I've enabled espeakup, yes.
@GCW
Because I thought pipewire is required package even I'm not using the desktop environment. so is alsa-utils enough then?

Thank you for the help guys.

2022-05-04 04:17:29

Yeah you can get away with alsa_utils. I'm not very experience with pipewire, but from my understanding, it's a framework that tries to create a compatibility layer between alsa and pulseaudio. For apps that don't know any better, pipewire can perform as either of the aforementioned tools, but, for apps that know about pipewire, it offers extended functionality. To what end, I'm not sure though.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2022-05-04 05:06:54

Thanks. Just reinstalled the VM, and only install alsa-utils worked. Now to get xorg and ratpoison on this thing.

2022-05-04 12:03:32 (edited by JaceK 2022-05-04 14:07:50)

Once  Ratpoison is installed you'll need Strychnine

So install Ratpoison, future readers with sudo pacman -S ratpoison

Now for Strychnine, To get that...

git clone https://git.2mb.codes/~stormdragon2976/strychnine

sudo pacman -S dialog yad xorg (or xorg-server

Grab Orca and its stuff too

cd strychnine

./setup.sh -x

./setup.sh

After that just log in, type startx and you got ratpoison up and going

Also on Linux natively

2022-05-04 14:00:45 (edited by Socheat 2022-05-04 14:02:19)

@JaceK
I've tried the steps as you mentioned, but I ran into problem. Got strychnine, installed orca and its dependencies. but when I typed startx, espeakup says something about server termination. And (ww) error or something. I wish I could copy the terminal error message. Running Arch on VMware here, FYI.

2022-05-04 14:06:59

Ah do you have Ratpoison installed? I assumed from your last post you already did. My notes were from a system that already had ratpoison

Strychnine looks for a file manager, web browser, text editor and a few other things when you do ./setup.sh as well. Assuming that all went well..

Rattpoison+C brings up your terminal
Ratpoison+? brings up key bindings (super super useful
Ratpoison then W opens up your web browser

Ratpoison 1 through 0 goes directly to that window, no need for alt tab)

Also on Linux natively

2022-05-04 14:19:34

Yes. I had ratpoison installed. I only installed seamonkey, but I don't have a file manager installed. As for text editor, I had nano, if that is enough for it. But when I ran ./strychnine.sh, strychnine didn't complain about missing stuff. Only when I typed startx, the error message came up.

2022-05-04 14:48:44

Okay is there a .xinitrc file in your home directory and you did everything up to and including ./setup.sh -x right?

I'm going through those steps on my own system and not running into it. All else ails I'll put my .xinitrc file here for you or others to copy and use3

Also on Linux natively

2022-05-04 15:15:35 (edited by Socheat 2022-05-04 15:18:02)

Yes, the .xinitrc file is present in my users home directory.
Also, is your arch installation you installed it from the archinstall, or you do everything manually? like I did?
Here is what I have append the pacstrap installer:
pacstrap -i /mnt base linux linux-headers espeak-ng espeakup speakup-utils alsa-utils alsa-plugins nano seamonkey xorg xorg-server xorg-apps xorg-xinit orca
So maybe I'm missing something here.
If you could list the requirements for this thing to work, that would be appreciated.

2022-05-04 15:35:23

What does your .xinitrc contain? If it's the standard Strychnine one, then it should work however.

It sounds to me like something is off in either your packages or .xinitrc

Also on Linux natively

2022-05-04 15:44:26

Ok now it worked. Thank you very much for all your help. About the filemanager, which file manager would you recommend? Can I install a file manager later, or do I have to do anything from scratch again?
Thanks once again.

2022-05-04 15:59:54 (edited by JaceK 2022-05-04 16:01:41)

or a graphical one I'd say PcmanFM or for a console one, you'll want DragonFM from the AUR. Which is a whole different kettle of fish really and not somethng a novice user should be diving into right away....so I'd say PCmanFM for a graphical one for now. When you want a console based one, grab dragonFM from the AUR

EDIT: You can simply add to the .ratpoisonrc

For example where it says bind  exec you'd add the path to the file manager, such as bind f exec /usr/bin/pcmanfm

Then just hit ratpoison and control alt R to reload the file, and you don't need to log out or reboot. The other thing about Strychnine and starting a desktop with startx, is you can have multiple desktops and ust switch them out by changing one word in a file, no need to fight with login managers or stuff that doesn't speak with Orca

Also on Linux natively

2022-05-04 16:24:09

Thanks. Will definitely look into those tomorrow.

2022-05-05 05:52:05

Man, that's the joy of ArchLinux. Once you got it setup, it is amazing.

2022-05-05 16:14:23

So it's all set up correctly and works?

Sweet, yeah that's the thing I love about Arch. Once you set it up, don't need to do a full reinstall for a new version and you know full well what you put on the system and can go to the Arch wiki for help if it's needed.

One neat £

Also on Linux natively

2022-05-05 16:45:26

One trick with the startx/.xinitrc file is this:

If you install another desktop you can switch to it easily

just open up the .xinitrc and go to the end and change exec ratpoison to the desktop you installed, and put exec orca & above that, which will cause Orca to load then load the desktop or window manager you want

Also on Linux natively

2022-05-06 02:26:54

Thank you very much. Yeah, configured everything, now it works very nicely.