2010-12-04 23:19:59

I know there are "Raised line" coloring books out there for the VI/Blind, but are they useful? Do VI/Blind people color with their children? Would they like to be able to teach their children colors with braille crayons? What about crayons that are scented to match the color so they can help teach their children colors? Do VI/Blind children like to color? Would they like a device that allows them to color in the lines and do the same picture over and over again? Would it help the children feel with their fingers if they could practice with raised lines on paper while coloring?

Lol, sorry for so many questions. I'm new to the VI/Blind group.

2010-12-05 08:59:56

As to the questions relating to children, I'm afraid I can't answer, sinse a, I don't have any and B, I don't particularly plan to, ---- I love baby's under about 18 months (as well as animals), but kids over that age, --- no thanks.

I myself did used to use large, brightly coloured pens etc to colour pictures, and also a thing called german film for line drawings and angles in school doing subjects like maths and technology, where drawing a line with a pen produces a tactile line.

But actual picture drawing was never something I did much of or was overly interested in myself, sinse my spacial awareness is pretty pathetic and I could never get things to go streight without using a ruler ;D.

Pluss, my brother was always the more artistically inclind one, ---- Music or writing was more my thing.

As someone with colour synaesthesia though, I love your scented crayons idea. The only problem would be, that I'd find the scents being the wrong colour for the crayons which would be actually rather disturbing ;D.

Btw, if your not familiar with Synaesthesia  it means perceiving one set of sensory stimulae as another see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaesthesia

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-12-07 10:51:50

I never got into coloringbooks. My vision was always based more on shapes and colors than lines, so outlines and fine details never did much for me.
Not that I didn't do a lot of drawing (and most certainly still would if my vision hadn't gotten too weak to do so). By which I probably mean coloring. Since I typically didn't bother with outlines, there was this tendency for things to wind up shaped not-quite-right... and hands and feet are simply out of the question (I hear those are hard for people with perfect vision... who outline things). (It was very rare that I bothered with faces, either; usually the most would be ey-dots).

In second grade, I had some markers that had different smells for the different colors, though I don't think this was intentional. The smells were pretty awful; red was something resembling beer, orange was like fish. Most of them weren't quite so distinct. That year, we actually put braille labels on the markers, but they wouldn't stay on.

A couple years ago, I bought some crayons, since I noticed I was having a bit more success with those nowadays. I tried to mark them with tiny cuts at different spots to distinguish the colors... but I've forgotten which was which already.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2010-12-07 11:01:10

CAE_Jones, http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=4439
(for the crayons lol)  big_smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software