2010-12-03 18:28:19

hello,

I am designing a website for my computer science course. I would like to get your suggestions on what sort of a website you would like to see. What would you like to see that is not already out there?

Please could you make suggestions and i will try my best to follow them, as i am stuck for ideas.

Thank you

2010-12-04 10:51:17

What is not already out there? ----- hmmm, tough proposition indeed!

Rather than ask for suggestions chammen, I'd actually recommend you just pick something your interested in, ---- eg, a favourite book, game, tv series or whatever and ccreate a website about that, ----- particularly if it is something obscure which people may not have created huge websites on previously.

For instance, the other day i came upon a web site devoted to the bbc 1983 radio play of lotr, ---- not the peter jaxon films, nor even tolkien's work generally, but that specific radio play sinse it was amazingly well prduced and deserved it.

Even for big series like startrek or Dr. who there are occasional corners or specific ends which could do with expanding, ---- for example there is another site I know devoted just to Davros, creator of the Daleks.

So basically, pick something you like which is relatively obscure.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-12-04 16:46:02

hello,

Thank you for your suggestion, i suppose i hadn't made my self clear in terms of what is out there. I am more refering to the visually impaired community. I wanted to know if there was anything you would like to see.

One idea i had was a website for advertisements of assistive technology. As far as i know there is no current central location where you can go to find what people are selling in terms of assistive technology. What do people think of that idea. I want to build something that will hopefully actually be of use to someone rather than just there for the course.

Keep your suggestions coming!
Thanks

2010-12-04 16:48:52

Oh! That would actually be a very interesting idea for newbies or just for anyone who doesn't know where to keep watching to stay up to date with the latest developments in the assistive technology area - if it was well propagated and advertised, such a central place should be really helpful to read about new screen readers and voice synthesis's. Other than such a place which really caught my interest, I don't seem to lack anything important myself at present. Hope you are successful with your project!
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2010-12-05 08:32:03

that is a good idea, though I suspecct maintaining such a site with current news, reviews etc might be rather difficult (heck, even agnet gets behind with news from time to time).

One thing I'd actually like to see is a site similar to audiogames.net devoted not to games, or even access tech generally, but programs or screen reader accessible tools which let you do something else, or serve a more general access function to something in life, call these utilities if you like.

I mean, rather than specifically large scale software or access tech like screen readers, Things like Aprone's new colour program, some of the audio timer programs, dark keyboard, audio dice rollers, gps software, some of Klango's handy tools like the shopping system or accessible maps etc.

Essentially ways to use your computer as an access aide to do none computer related things in life.

While all of the major companies like freedom scientific, dolphin etc have fairly extensive reviews and instructions on their sites about their specific screen readers and wat you can do wth them (not to mention blind cool tech), nobody has collected a list of ssmall, handy programs which just make certain other things easier.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-12-05 15:10:08

hello,

That is a very good suggestion. I really do like the idea of having a website devoted to small applications. Do correct me if i am wrong however, i feel that sort of a website has a lot of potential. What i mean by that is you can add many or as little amount of features on the website. However, i do understand this suggestion from a general point of view. But could you please go into a bit more detail on the types of programs you were refering to? I ask this as i have not used or even seen most of them.

Thank you very much for your suggestions (it is really apreciated.)

2010-12-05 16:19:26 (edited by burak 2010-12-05 16:46:47)

hello,
Add audiogames to your website I think.  Such as from audiogames.net, or from blastbay studios. And also, if you create a review about an audiogame, open a section about game recordings. I had a nuf!

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page