2022-03-05 22:53:15

Hello!
My name is Konstantin. I am from Kharkiv, east part of Ukraine.
There is a war in my country. They are killing civilians. They have no mercy on children.
I have a disability. I am blind.
My hometown has become a dangerous place for me. Every second I fear for my life, because as the shells hit other houses, they can hit my house.
I decided to move to Poland and I did it alone and I would like to tell about it!
It was dangerous to move in my city. 11 kilometers to the train station, not easy to find a car.
I got a list of about 30-40 (I do not know exactly, I did not count them) numbers of taxi drivers who work. But I could not get through.
I found a taxi in one of the applications, I just wrote in the comment that some disabled person is asking for help.
In my country, conditions for people with disabilities are not the best. I called the station, warned about me, they said they made a record about me, but no one met me or knew about me there.
I took a train to western Ukraine. It was not easy. A large crowd, Ukrainian soldiers with machine guns, people were practically fighting in the crowd, and it is good that they did not.
When we were near Kyiv, something like that, people said that the previous train was shelled. People were afraid.
But I got to Lviv, where I was met by friends of friends of my relatives, and taken to the border by car.
There was a Polish driver on the Polish border, in his car there were two Ukrainian girls with children. He brought me to Poland, and further, I expected volunteers to help.
We went to Rzeszów, where I took two trains to Gdynia.
Now I am in Gdynia, and I received a lot of help from volunteers and just Polish people. And I thank them all for their kindness to us.
My parents stayed in Ukraine and I am afraid for them, to be honest.
But I would like to keep moving on. North America or Oceania. I am afraid of nuclear war and would like to be in a safe place.
So, it is possible for the blind to move to other countries on their own, and during the war!
Thanks.

2022-03-05 22:57:26

honestly, stay in Poland.
nuclear war will *not* happen.
If you want to learn Polish, you can contact me.
pm me on qc pax1

meow meow.

2022-03-05 23:14:22

honestly their is no telling what is going on in the world specially a war like this where the person who started it should of died a long time ago.

2022-03-05 23:23:51

Hi,

Yes, I'm from the Republic of Moldova and, to be honest, I too am afraid that if Russia wins this war, they will start one here too.

In our country there are already more than 100000 refugees who came from Ukraine. The same in Romania and probably in other nearby countries.

Just like @2 said, you can stay in Poland. Or, if you want, you can go to Romania, as it is a NATO member so the Russians won't have the guts to attack it. I feel you are safer there than you would be if you came to Moldova for example.

Email: [email protected]
Discord: StormProductions
Telegram: https://stormproductions.t.me/

2022-03-05 23:44:05

@Jonikster, really sorry to hear about your personal experiences of the insanity Russia has started in the Eucrane, though I'm glad you made it to Poland, and are at least out of immediate danger.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2022-03-06 00:10:47

@1,

I am glad you made it out. I will pray for you your family still in Ukraine.

2022-03-06 07:02:07

@PatrykK
Why you think that nuclear war will *not* happen?
I'm from Ukraine, I know Russia. So, the Russian government will never come out to say: "We lost".
The President of Russia is already threatening with nuclear weapons.

@swigjr23
Thank you so much...

2022-03-06 07:47:30

@4, actually, Poland is in NATO as well as Romania, so he's safe the same way.

2022-03-06 08:51:00

1, I hope your family survives the war.

2022-03-06 09:12:43

see! I was right. Let this serve as an example that people can immigrate with blindness! I made a topic asking about that ,and people told me you can't. I'm glad that you're out and safe, and you, my friend, made my day.

2022-03-06 09:15:47

big_smile Well done.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2022-03-06 09:47:42

Sage, nobody told you that you can't live in another country if you're blind. What they told you is that there are a lot of hurdles to jump, and especially if you're young and have no experience but are not just a family member of someone else who has custody of you, those hurdles can be really difficult to overcome. I also want to point out that this dude's experience in no way mirrors, justifies or explains your own. Jonikster was allegedly fleeing across a war-torn country, into a neighbouring country which has pledged to take in Ukrainian refugees. Assuming that you can get across the country without running afoul of anything really dangerous, getting across the border itself isn't terribly difficult, and if you've decided to stay in Poland, your immigration status might be fast-tracked (no guarantee on that though, of course).

Jonikster, I'm glad you're safe, and I've got to say that it sounds like you were incredibly fortunate overall.

And as for nuclear war? I'll tell you folks the same thing that others have said in the War in Europe thread.
Nuclear war isn't impossible, but it isn't likely. If Russia starts it, lots of other countries will come down hard on them, or will want to, and you don't want to piss off NATO, the EU, or America. So far, that hasn't fully happened yet. If any other country starts it, Putin is going to come even more unmoored from reality than he already is. Want to know why nobody else is tearing the hell out of the Russians? That, right there. They'll do it only if they have to. Nuclear war isn't too likely, and a long, drawn-out war isn't likely either. Russia's economy is falling to pieces, and there's only so long a country can stand that before it simply starts coming apart.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2022-03-06 11:15:17 (edited by George_Gaylord 2022-03-06 11:16:10)

@10, good going lad. Obviously the OP has said allot of stuff on here that even a 9 year old can tell is just fantasy, but at the same time he escaped a freaking warzone.

Also the fuck is with that signature?

@1, as I said in the topic, I'm happy you made it out alive and you're doing well. Believe it or not my thoughts have been with you since the beginning of the conflict.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2022-03-06 11:27:39

@13, that justifies my point even further. You'd think that it would be impossible to escape a warzone if you have a disability. He could've gotten hurt or worse. But he actually made it out, sure, the country was excepting refugees, but still, getting there would've been the tough part. And those "fantasies" you're talking about, it's something called dreaming. Sure, those dreams were a bit out there, but better than most people who don't contribute anything to the world. It's called creativity, which a lot of you need.

2022-03-06 13:20:24

#1 I'm glad you're safe, and I hope your family will be OK. I'm supporting Ukraine with all my heart

Hey, if you wanna chat, add me on discord.: VIPPotato#3363
or you can chat with me on telegram: https://t.me/VIPPotato
Regards, and take care.

2022-03-06 13:34:44

@14, I don't follow. Are you suggesting the OP is lying or am I not following you?

_____

2022-03-06 13:40:11

You finally did it @1.
Jokes aside, I am happy you have managed. I actuallyu thought you will land in Owinska, or atleast that's what David told me

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2022-03-06 13:57:36

I'm glad you got out, @1 by all accounts your home city's been targeted heavily and despite my low opinion of you from your previous antics, you're still a human and still somebody I would, honestly, open my door to and give you a place to sleep if you needed it, because you are still a human. That, and this topic and knowing more about you changes my opinion of you in a positive way.

@10:

Yeah well, if your home city/town was being bombed and shelled constantly and you ran the risk every time a shell was fired it hit you house and killed you, and you were afraid for your life an escaped...would you really ant some, being blunt, prick on the intrnet with no empathy or idea what's going on, to go 'omg good job see blind people can do it'

I wouldn't, because it comes off as you not grasping what the fuck's going on at all and just using it to justify your own ideas when that's both not the case, and uncalled for entirely.

The war in Ukraine is forcing people to flee their homes because Russia is shelling/trying to capture ciites/allegedly firing thermobaric weapons/allegedly targeting civilians. There's people who are absolutely helping refugees get out of there, so I odn't think @1 is lying going by the coverage and reports.

@10: That'd be like your country being invaded by it's neighbor or state being invaded, and them opening up with artillery, planes, et cetera on your neighborhood. At least try. Try to understand what's going on a little and realize fleeing for your life across a war torn nation, while  abigger, more aggressive nation is trying to conquer it, is /not/ the same as 'omg I want to emigrate because reasons'. Having fear for you life and, yes, an actual war in your literal street....is a hell of a good reason to get out of there and go somewhere else...

Also yes, as JJ said. What's up with that signature. It's not just blind people who have that problem, by the way.

@Jade: The BBC were reporting long, long queus to get over the border at certain points and locations though, the figure I saw was 40+ hours to wait in some cases, which no, isn't terribly difficult provided the war stays away from there however.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2022-03-06 14:06:31

This is only my personal opinion.
If the war started about one and half year earlier- at the time when we could select the speciality at the university, many more students would be willing to learn Ukrainian and I would be able to fulfill my dreams of learning both Russian and Ukrainian at the university.
@1 goodluck with learning Polish then.
This language is very difficult for foreigners.

2022-03-06 14:07:00

@1 I'm really SRY, I really do not know what to say, what happens in wars, what we feal cam mot be put in to words, humanity, oh humanity

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"

2022-03-06 14:15:15

I want to help when possible. if you want my help, just ask.

meow meow.

2022-03-06 14:23:05

@VIPPotato
Thank you.
My parents stayed there. It's not fair if I live here, rejoice here, and they live there, in this chaos.
Honestly, many people don't take the war seriously, even when this war is outside their windows. Only when this war touches them, these people are taken seriously.

@Nuno
I don't know what's wrong, maybe he helped someone else, because we talked with him about it, and he mixed up the information even in a conversation with me.
I planned to try to come to Warsaw, but he said that he could find more help for me here in Gdynia.
But it was not easy to find accommodation, because the place where I originally went, there were no beds for me. They said that they were not going to settle me with women and children.
In other places, in some there were no free beds, in some there was a dismissive attitude towards my blindness.
Now I have a place to live, I'm really thank to the Polish people for everything they do for us.
So, now the main thing for me is to find out the possibilities for help for me, as a blind. Organizations who can provide guide, something like that.
I don't know it now, David said that he contacted the local organizations, but most likely they will answer next week.

@JaceK
I don't deny that I have a different opinion from the majority on many issues. But, I try to avoid aggressive. I prefer peaceful discussions.
So, you are surely remember that I was looking for ways of my immigration. It's terrible, but I got the opportunity to leave my country because of the war, a mockery of fate, something like that.
I can move to any EU country, America, Canada. But should I? I don't know.
Because in Poland I received an offer to cooperate with volunteers, I think they need my help more than I need to move to other countries now..

2022-03-06 14:25:43

I just reread Sage's 2 posts and I finally understand. I'm guessing you're using this experience to suggest that its possible to migrate out of a country being blind, and to that I have to say you're crazy. First of all, the Polish government is taking anyone. Literally, everyone. No criminal checks, no passport required, etc. Second of all, the OP isn't going to perminently stay there. I'll bet when the conflict is done Poland and whoever else is going to send all the Refugees back home. And thirdly, as pointed out in here nobody ever said it was impossible. It very much is, but outside of taking in refugees like this almost every western country is tightening migration rules because of a perceived influx of uncontrolled migration. This is why the UK and other places haven't opened themselves up to more Ukrainins, distance asside. Its foolish of you to look at an extremely isolated situation like this and use it as some kind of vindication tool. You also conveniently ignored the bit where the OP said that he had a difficult time, and that was him going on a train. If you're leaving America, you'll be going by plane, unless you're going to Canada. The experience is going to be more difficult than boarding a train and heading across the border.You're not in a warzone, and while your family may be oppressive or whatever, you're most likely not in immediate danger. Whatever or perceptions of how horrible your life is has nothing on literally having to leave your loved ones behind in a war torn country. Shame on you, dude.

_____

2022-03-06 14:26:55

@mara
Polish is similar to Russian and Ukrainian, actually, I understand about 30% of Polish speech.
It's just don't know many people I can practice with. Now I'm thinking how I can make new friends here, including the blind and the visually impaired all around Poland.

2022-03-06 14:31:39

@JayJay
You are right that refugee status is a temporary status, but I didn't plan to get it because it would make it impossible for me to move to other countries, and without work permit.
But, some Polish people have already told me that if it is necessary for me, they can help with finding a job for my official status in the future.
For this reason, I think many times, because in any other country, the US, Canada, the UK, France, Spain, I have to start over. Perhaps not many people are ready to help Ukrainians there.