2021-12-21 06:51:23

Jade:

I agree. But there's just something I don't get here, and it's where I disagree with 196. This started because Camlorn talked about his synth's speech rate. He is, as far as I know, a programmer. So this means he can read things, e.g. manuals, faster than the rest of us. Cool.

What's any of that got to do with how fast a mouse is, like seriously guys you just can't conceive of how damn fast this thing makes sighted people? I don't think you use a mouse a lot in programming, you're writing code. I guess if you're copying and pasting a lot of code, then sure. But I mean, again, I just feel like these two things, reading and processing speed vs. mouse speed, aren't related like, at all.

So it's not just that Camlorn's not using examples I like. It's that he's just tossing stuff out, faster processing of reading, oh and then a mouse, oh and then this game over here! And there's just nothing to back it up. Like cool, I'll generally be slower than a sighted person for tasks X Y and Z, groovy, we can all agree on that.

Where's this claim that the absolute best I can do is be as good at those tasks as the slowest sighted person? Because Camlorn said that, and did absolutely nothing whatsoever to back up that claim. No example. Nothing about how him and this dude had a race and the dude got it done in half the time. No studies. Just this pronouncement that this is how it is, so we'd all better deal. And when I say "I", I don't mean me, Khomus, personally. I mean me, Khomus, as an example of a blind person. Or any other blind person among us without usable vision, because presumably if you have enough usable vision, you can use the inconceivable awesomeness that is a mouse and leave any thirty blind people in the dust of your productivity.

Look, let's say Camlorn is absolutely, 100%, incontrovertibly correct about every single thing he's claimed in his thread, and I'm totally wrong. That doesn't matter. Because it's just a bunch of claims he's making. No arguments. No evidence. Just pronouncements from on high. And often, they're about things that have nothing whatsoever to do with one another, e.g. synth reading speed vs. what a mouse can do for the sighted but not for us. Camlorn's ability to read and comprehend a giant manual in an hour isn't affected by the fact that Sven can zoom around the screen with his mouse and rearrange things in five seconds instead of the thirty seconds it would take me or Camlorn to do it with the keyboard. Sven can rearrange his Argentinian cowboy metal songs as fast as he wants, it is completely and utterly unrelated to what blind people can or can not do with a synthesizer.

2021-12-21 14:41:31 (edited by George_Gaylord 2021-12-21 14:42:36)

@199, I can see where you're coming from with that. IMO it sounds smoother when you transition from 99 to 100 for me, but that's just me. I'm using Edward2 if that helps. I find that to be a generally more smooth less roboticcy espeak variant. I'm at rate 40 speechboost on.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-12-21 16:50:24

Our slowness isn't always our fault either though. Screen readers slow down the system, this IPC shit NVDA's doing can go wrong, and when it does, NVDA hangs. But let's take that out of the equation and say whatever screen reader you're using is working flawlessly, so now it's just you and the sighted person. First of all, if they're a programmer, you're toast, no ifs, ands, or but, because they're using mouse + keyboard in concert and there's just no competing with that.

If we're talking about a sighted person who barely knows anything about keyboard shortcuts outside CTRL C, X, V and Z, they're still gonna be faster.

Windows lets you snap apps together so that you can have two vertical normal sized apps one right beside the other, or you can arrange the windows yourself into quadrants or whatever. But even if they don't do this, there's still the fact that they can just click on whatever they want to come to the foreground in the taskbar and boom, there it is.

If you're a screen reader trying to be too fast, you might skip over your window when in the alt tab list, and even if you don't, hitting alt tab 5 times is gonna take longer than moving the mouse to the taskbar and clicking one icon.

Wanna spend a bit more and get a fancier mouse? Now you have DPI settings you can customize to whatever it is you're doing. The pointer moves slower on screen, causing you to have to physically move the mouse further. This is good for work requiring fine detail manipulation in Photoshop. Set it to its fastest, and now a twitch moves the pointer half way across the screen. This is good for gaming, FPS's specifically.

Whether you have that feature or not, your day to day stuff will become muscle memory at some point. It takes roughly this amount of motion with this amount of force behind it to make the pointer move from roughly the center of the screen to the taskbar, or from the file menu to the open button or what have you.

I can't say with confidence that the fastest blind computer user is going to be slower than the slowest sighted computer user, but average blind against average sighted, yeah, the sighted person is gonna win that contest.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-12-21 17:16:42

oh again we are taking that in this indulging direction?
I have seen other posts finally derail to this inevitable conclusion that really does not contribute much if at all.. we are blind, so therefore this and that and else. You should compare to others either blind or sighted if that will work for you at improving something, or at finding other ways you could do things better, more efficiently, or be a nicer/tougher fellow, and so on. But there is really no point if there are other reasons... at all.. it is z.e.r.o. productive.
Braille is bad because ... just, braille. It needs to die... blah blah.
Newsflash: the Eloquence speech synth also, really needs to die, like right now,  and many haven't gotten over that.

and yes, it gets tiring.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…