2021-10-22 17:03:36

Hi,

I've made an article on how to install Android apps in Windows 11, which you can find here:
https://forum.audiogames.net/post/674256/#p674256
Here you can post your questions, comments, ideas, or problems, and I'll try to answer to them with as much info as I have.

Let's go!

Email: [email protected]
Discord: StormProductions
Telegram: https://stormproductions.t.me/

2021-10-22 19:22:35

Is this accessible? Does TalkBack run inside the Android virtual machine? As usual, Microsoft is annoyingly vague when it comes to Windows 11 accessibility.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-10-22 19:26:34

Microsoft isn't that vague, you just have to find  the appropriate page.
Appropriate page being https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win … b6e34d1658

Yes, it seems to be some kind of a mini Talkback, lacking some features but supporting basics.

2021-10-22 19:41:04

When will they support Apple iOS devices too?

2021-10-22 19:44:33

Never.
Apple doesn't want their system running anywhere else, let alone collaborating with Microsoft.

2021-10-22 20:52:54

Everything is AOSP-based including Talkback. It would appear that Subsystem Screenreader is a fork of the Talkback from AOSP/the Github repository. It's probably the most responsive I've ever seen Talkback in an Android emulator, not to mention one of the most responsive emulators I've seen - Intel Bridge is definitely to thank for that. Things to know regarding Talkback:
1. No alt+space to open the global context menu for Talkback (making an alternate command for that should've been a no brainer). To access Talkback settings, or any other settings in general:
A. Enable develoepr mode in the subsystem.
B. Copy the vm's ip address.
C. In a command line:
adb connect ip.add.re.ss:5555
adb -s ip.add.re.ss shell
am start -n com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings
Then you can access the regular Android system settings (the system settings are not vailable as an app in your start menu or through the subsystem manager itself..
2. The TTS appears to be a bridge to the onecore speech framework. There is, at present, no way to change this in the screenreader itself. I say this because the subsystem clearly recognizes other tts engines as it plays their  respective samples, so why they went this route with the screenreader I'm not sure. Part of me wants to install the Android Accessibility Suite, but that would most definitely ruin the ctrl+win+t shortcut.
I'm going to be very frank. This thing is probably going to only appeal to developers and maybe video gamers if nothing else, simply because they chose to play ball with Amazon rather than go a little harder at convincing Google of the potential. Not everyone is going to know how to sideload apps, and even then the subsystem is not rooted, so installing gms is kind of impossible with the read only .img.
Other than that, this has got to be the most lean-built Android emulator better than anyone on the market, commercial or otherwise, and I'm really impressed with how smooth this damn thing runs for a beta.

2021-10-22 20:59:58

Why install amazon store? Just sideload aurora store then you can install anything from google play. Also, you can install a launcher to make it easy to launch apps.

2021-10-22 21:02:17

I tried installed csr but it seems like it doesn't support the keyboard at all.

2021-10-22 21:10:37 (edited by Chris 2021-10-22 21:12:13)

Hmmm, interesting. I may have to dedicate another computer to Windows 11 betas. I assume this will run if your computer supports Hyper-V virtualization? The part that says it requires the same minimum system requirements as Windows 11 makes me a little nervous, though it's been proven that nearly all those requirements except 64-bit CPUs are artificial.

What happens if you open WSA on its own? Are you put on an ANdroid home screen or taken to the settings app? I'm a bit disappointed about the Amazon app store, but if you can sideload APKs, that's okay. Does BARD Mobile work out of curiosity? I was disappointed to discover it didn't on the Android implementation of Chrome OS. Being able to play BARD books or utilize other apps like smart home stuff from my Windows environment would be badass!

2021-10-22 21:11:16

Having a permanent launcher is a bit iffy on the emulator. Also, it isn't just the store that's a potential problem, some apps not being able to call gms services will make them virtually unusable.

2021-10-22 21:20:46

WSA is heavily derived from WSL. It appears that any core i3 8th gen onward, or Ryzen 3000 cpu can run the thing. You need 8gb of ram - although that's because the virtual machine wants to have up to 6.23gb of ram to allocate, but the system normally barely puts a dent in your ram at about a few hundred mb. It also goes into a low-power state after 3 minutes of complete inactivity, and after 7 minutes of inactivity shuts down completely - this can be changed to continous availability in the SWA controler if desired. The device also seems to mimic a phone due to the references to a sim card that quite obviously doesn't exist, but that ddoes mean that anything that wouldn't run due to not being tablet-ready according to the manifest should run without a problem, barring google play services complications. So, Bard Mobile should work, which is definitely something on my list of things to try.

2021-10-22 21:26:30 (edited by Chris 2021-10-22 21:31:34)

Those are most likely recommended processors. As I said before, this seems to be using Hyper-V for the virtualization, so anything that supports Hyper-V should be able to run. It might not run as well, but I bet it will run. I've run WSL on an i7 6700 and Windows Sandbox in Windows 11 on a Xeon X3440, both of which are supposedly unsupported. If I can run Windows 11 on a computer and processor from 2009 with no noticeable issues, I can most certainly run it on something from 2015. Yeah, unsupported my ass! This is very interesting and I'll be playing with it when it officially releases.

2021-10-22 23:10:06

I'm not sure if Intel Bridge will work on those (it should), but that is what sets the two apart as this is what allows the Arm apps to actually run through realtime translation. Which means no this is not android x86, and no you will not have apps failing on you because Arm.

2021-10-23 00:30:17 (edited by Chris 2021-10-23 00:30:53)

Oh, so it's ARM emulation on X86? Interesting!

2021-10-23 00:41:28

I wonder if my laptop's touch screen would work with it.
I don't have it with me, but I will try tomorrow.
You could just install MicroG and you would have a way to bypass Google services, so no big deal there.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2021-10-23 01:03:38

No, touch screens are currently not supported, as the accessibility page  says. This is still a first version though so  that might change.

2021-10-23 01:07:25

Bard Mobile is hardwalled on Windows Subsystem for Android by none other than Talkback's keyboard support issues. Get all the way to adding a book to the wishlist, but then when it asks you to select a folder to download the book, alt+enter leads nowhere.
So this is not the subsystem's fault, i.e. if they can just fix this keyboard issue, then Bard Mobile would work perfectly on pc.

2021-10-23 03:18:05

Lol. I thought this thing available to official channel release of Windows, because I see an update pending in my Windows 11 computer today. Not that until I've read the article in the articles room.

2021-10-23 08:20:56

Hi,

Glad to see your ideas and comments regarding this matter.
I've made a new article on how to sideload Android apps - you can find it at:
https://forum.audiogames.net/post/674378/#p674378

Drop your ideas about it here as well.

Enjoy!

2021-10-23 08:36:11 (edited by Chris 2021-10-23 08:38:12)

How easy is it to share files between Windows and Android? I was trying to share files between Chrome OS and Android, but it was extremely! difficult. Is there an easy copy/paste method or do you have to use some weird workaround such as a browser running in Android or a cloud storage service? For example, it would be interesting to install Fabularium and then import game files I download in Windows.

2021-10-23 09:14:53

Hi,

Not sure about that yet, will have to try it out and then come back with an update.

2021-10-23 14:40:12

Hi,

Looks like there's no need to transfer files, as all the files on your PC are already available in the Android system.

i'd actually love to find a way to bypass Google apps not working, as I want to try YouTube Music which seems to shut down imediately after running.

2021-10-23 15:26:53 (edited by Chris 2021-10-23 15:27:15)

What do you mean? Is it similar to WSL where Windows files are accessible from a mount point in Linux?

2021-10-23 15:48:53

Hi,

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

2021-10-23 16:10:30

22 Yes, that would be great, if there was such a way. I have a question: does anyone know if the sliders can be controlled from the keyboard? Never used a keyboard with an android before.