2010-09-18 09:59:05

I'm wondering what kinds of non-computer or console games could be played by ear, and what peoples experiences of these are. I'm currently thinking of something like Scalextric sets or air hockey, that kind of thing. I'm wondering if either game would let a blind player hear well enough the position of either the car or the puck respectively.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-09-18 14:00:02

me and forumight the doctor had a game of air hockey at an arcade. the results were interesting, this was a few weeks back. it was sort of luck, but you could sort of hear where the puck got hit and try to follow it, but it's sort of hard. it was still a fun game though. scarlectric i'm not sure about as i haven't really tried it.

2010-09-18 14:12:24

Thanks, good to know all the same. I imagined it would be tricky but I wasn't sure how tricky.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-09-19 01:30:09

Air hocky would be relatively easy to make completely accessible by ear, just get anything that makes a constant sound and is fairly durable (for instance a singing keyring), and stick it to the top of the puck with sticky tape. This will also stop the puck going completely into the goal slot, but this also means you can get your keyring back and use it again.

Sinse the puck never actually parts company with the table, you['ve got the hole top side to deal with.

Something like skalextric I'm afraid I'm not sure of, sinse the speed of the cars may prevent you from marking them, and when I used those sorts of things when i was litle I just used high visibility stuff.

If however you ever want to know the true meaning of terror, try blind fold jenga! I did this on one of the holidays with the group from guide dogs, and it was fantastic, if terrifying! eight people, a large tower of blocks, and everything by touch!

Of course, games like monopoly or packs of braille cards exist but obviously you need braille for those, ---- and anywhere there are some pretty good computer versions.

Connect 4 is also possible by touch alone if you dril a hole through the middle (or stick bumpons on), one set of coloured counters.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-09-19 08:18:49

Thanks. I've already got a connect four set with holes already put in some of the discs I was just looking for something a little more active without hitting the level of an actual sport.

Blindfolded jenga lol, definitely sounds scary. I'd never have trusted my steadiness to it when I could see let alone now.

cx2
-----

2010-09-19 13:04:39

Yep, it was fun.

Unfortunately, all the more complex games I know off computer usually involve extensive amounts of text and thus aren't really workable in that sense.

Really, the amount of accessible none computer games even counting braille really isn't loads, dominoes, braille cards, solitare (as in the board game with pegs), connect four uno, chess, draughts and monopoly are the only ones I know.

That's why for something more interesting you probably ought to stick to tabletop rp, or progress your war game idea.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)