2010-09-15 11:58:42

the other day, I phoned my phone company, o 2 to talk about my mobile phone, and discovered that with my contract I actually get a free hand set, and! that they do specifically accessible ones.

so, if they will pay for an accessible phone for mewhy not have one?

At the moment I'm using a rather ancient nockier, which has no speech software at all, but does have useable buttons, thus making it possible for me to phone people, ----- but not much else.

However, I'm now wondering how the accessible phone thing works and which model to ask for. O2 suggest the I4 I phone, which apparently comes with speech, or the I phone 3gs which allows you to download speech software from I tunes onto it. Are these workable phones for a visually impared person? do they have decent keys, and is the software actually good enough to do anything decent with such as play games?

Any advice would be much appreciated, especially in view of the various I phone games and applications that seem to be popping up these days.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-09-15 13:18:39

I know that the IPhone 3gs and IPone4 come with the speech bilt in. The speech thing is quite useble, but if you are looking for a phone with buttons, you might want to keep on looking because the IPhone does not have buttons for the most part. Anyway, here is some info on the IPhone. I hope it helps, and you can find a few games to play on the IPhone if that is what you want to do.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2010-09-15 13:58:33

iPhone interface is pretty much without physical buttons, it uses gestures which are actually very usable. Game accessibility is of course as much down to developers as much as the access software, though there is more chance of accidental accessibility on the iPhone. Aside from price there is no disadvantage to the iPhone 4, both have the speech software built in no download has ever been required. If you get a 4 though make sure to either get one of the rubber bumpers or put it in a case/sleeve because there are issues with the antenna not being properly shielded from the shell, meaning if you held it wrong your skin made a contact between two antennae and you lost signal. Otherwise the iPhone 4 has better processor, better battery life and better signal reception.

Symbion phones use the "edit" key like the Hal/Jaws key on a computer to perform speech functions and is quite usable if the buttons can be a bit small, but you can get used to that in time.

Example gestures from the iPhone -
single finger flick right, next item like tab in Windows
Single finger flick left, ditto but previous item like shift tab
Single finger double tap, activate item like enter in Windows
Single finger flick up, move by selected option backwards
Single finger flick down, move by selected option forwards
Two finger twist, also called rotor, change selected option for flick up/down. Characters, words, on internet includes headings, links, etc.
Two finger single tap, pause speech
Two finger double tap, play or pause iPod even when in other programs.

Dragging a finger around the screen tells you what is under it, in time it is handy for the "dismiss" button in pop ups and that kind of thing as you learn where they are. Holding the finger on an item and tapping a second finger activates the item.

It isn't nearly as bad as it sounds, to begin with you'd probably use the next or previous item gesture a lot but as you get used to the phone you'll likely use the finger drag method just as much for choosing which app to enter and things like that.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-09-15 19:25:23

I'd recommend the iPhone over others, and not just cause I have one either! Having a music player that tells you everything is quite a feature to have, not to mention a full web browser that works really good for the most part. In fact, I'm using the phone to write this. There are indeed many other phones that can be made to talk, but too often at quite a price; another factor in why I have what I do now.

2010-09-16 10:44:03

Thanks people. This does sound interesting indeed.

a[[apparently the software is downloadable from itunes. if so, would it be possible for someone else with an Iphone to download it so that i can try it out before comitting myself?

As regards price, well as I said this is provided by o2. to be honest, on that angle I wasn't prepared to go further than what I've got right now, a non speaking nockier phone which I can just ring people on, ---- sinse for music playing, brousing the net and the like I've nearly always got my laptop with me (and bt hotspots are pretty common these days).

However, if o2 will provide me with an accessible phone along with my regular contract, then having one might indeed be nice, ---- in fact that's what I call equal access, providing a vi person with the same advantage from the contract as anyone else by giving a phone with speech software.

My only concern is the actual operation of the thing, which is why I'd like to try it out first if at all possible.

Btw, for Cx2 and anyone else in the uk, unsurprisingly the rnib had no advice about speech software on mobile phones whatsoever, all they offered were phone with big, easy to use buttons!

As per usual, the rnib proves themselves to be completely useless to any vi person under the age of 70 and not senile!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-09-16 11:20:17

No download necessary, it is part of the OS. Under settings, general, accessibility it can be enabled. In the same menu there should also be an option to enter a practice area to practice gestures, like a keyboard help or key describer mode in screen readers or other assistive devices.

Any iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 has this option in its settings as a default, it cannot be removed only enabled or disabled. There is also there is an option to have a triple press of the "home" button, a round button below the screen, turn voice over on or off which is handy for apps which voice over gestures block such as games and the like.

iPhone 3GS physical description:
There is a large portrait screen on the front, not hugely wide but fairly high. Above it is a slot which is the normal speaker for during calls and below it is the circular "home" button. On the bottom edge is the dock connector, used either for linking to a dock or to a USB cable for charging and/or syncing. On the top right edge is the lock or unlock button, top left is the headset connector which also accepts a normal 3.5mm headphone connection. Around the corner on the left edge at the top is the sliding switch for ringing or silent, down from that is the up/down volume switch. To change speech volume you need to use the volume control while the phone is speaking, takes a bit of practice but not hard once you get the hang of it.

Other models may vary of course. If Hal works with iTunes then so much the better, the phone will definitely need activation via iTunes if nothing else. Apps can be installed either through iTunes or from the "App store" app on the phone itself, including iBooks which is worth a look if you get one. I wouldn't suggest getting the phone just for iBooks but it is a nice addition, they certainly have a lot of Tolkien's stuff.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-09-16 19:31:03

according to Dolphin Hal does indeed work with itunes, so that wouldn't be a problem.

my phone contract doesn't include net access at the moment sinse my current phone has no net capability, but there's always the usb angle. I'll try and find someone with the appropriate Iphone to activate the speech bit so that I can try it out before getting one.

Btw, one extremely! interesting fact is that the old 1980's original fighting fantasy gamebooks are now being published for the Iphone. I've attempted to contact the the publishers and ask about accessible pc versions, but sadly no luck, however if they worked with voice over that would be pretty fantastic.

see http://www.fightingfantasygamebooks.com/ for details.

2010-09-16 19:47:06

Hi dark,
you know, the iPhone has wi-fi. And, it's smaller then your usual laptop and it does have some nice games and such.
If you need someone to show it, it has to be, at least, an iPhone 3gs. an iPhone 3g will not work.
If you get yours, if you hook it up to iTunes, there is a nice way to enabled voice over with in there. you find your sources tree, which is the first thing you land on, hit d for devices. then find the universal access button.
In there, you have, neither (no access), voice over, or zoom. I know you're Vi, so you could juse use zoom, however I heard, from Vi people that they prefer using voice over over zoom. it's just easier or something like that.
and, you can't have both at once, as the gestures would be interfeering.
As far as non touch phones, there are nokia phones and windows mobile. In fact, there is a wm verrsion of hal, but it will cost you much more than getting an iPhone, and also, ms is unwilling to make windows phone 7 accessible. shows how commited they are.
On nokia symbiain devices, there is talks, but, again, extra price tag.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2010-09-16 23:56:58

slightly OTT
but what are bt hot spots?

2010-09-17 06:26:34

A network of wifi access points run by British Telecom, thus BT. Hotspot is a wi fi access point that is either open for public use, or open for public use with a fee.

Dark, activation is done on the PC or Mac via USB. First time you connect the phone to a computer running a suitable version of iTunes it opens the registration section. It works a lot like registering a program or device in other circumstances, you just need an iTunes account. The iPhone must indeed be at least a 3GS to get speech, and like I said it is all built in so it is easily turned on temporarily so you can have an experiment. As mentioned above the iPhone does indeed have wi fi for net access when you're at home, internet access is only required on the computer running full iTunes for the activation. Just make sure you put the sim card in first, I had that problem. You can even get apps without internet on the phone at all by downloading them through iTunes on the computer and then syncing the phone via USB.

USB cable is included as well as a USB to mains adapter, the USB cable also charges the phone. I gather the Navigon GPS app works well with voice over as well, which is handy if you find another taxi driver unable to locate his orifice with a pair of dextrous manipulators and a topographical illustration while you left your GPS at home.

cx2
-----

2010-09-17 14:40:48

Thanks cx2, I'll certainly see if I know anyone with a vaguely compatible phone I could play on.

As far as internet access goes, if I remember rightly it's only another five pounds a month on my contract, however I really see litle point as odds are if I'm anywhere for long enough to actually want to do anything net wise, I'll have my laptop, and I'm not above whipping it out on station platforms or the like, I actually think I have a different deffinition of portability to most people.

that being said, some of the Iphone aps do sound interesting indeed (including the gps), so it would certainly be worth my while trying those out if possible.

As regards speech software, as I said I'm just not prepared to actually pay for it, sinse I currently only use my phone to actually phone people, and as I said, odds are I'll have my laptop for other stuff, however if o2 are being so good about equal access I'd be an idiot not to take advantage.

As to bt hotspots, bt have now combined with a company called phon who have a set of wireless access points. The network speed is pretty horrible if you need to do any serious downloading, streaming or something like playing online games, but it's fine for basic net brousing. The standard fee is ridiculously expensive to buy time (something like five pounds an hour), however I get free access because I'm a bt customer, which is handy if I'm away from my flat and need to use the net.

The only irritating thing is that it has an automatic cut off point, whereby your kicked off the network if you spend too long connected and not doing anything, this is done to stop people from overshooting their paid time and getting a huge bill, but for me with my unlimited time, ---- and my tendency to write long forum posts or spend a while reading a long webpage, it's rather annoying!

Btw, as far as zoom and such go, I'm more impared than visually in those terms. I cannot read print, though I've used highlighting and text position occasionally to play graphical I'm unable to actually distinguish letters, I am in fact classed as registered blind in the uk, ---- though i do freely admit I get a lot of use out of my remaining vision.

2010-09-17 15:14:07

Well if your laptop can connect to a hotspot then an iPhone will be able to as well. It supports 802.11 wifi just as normal. If you're never far from a hotspot then mobile internet is pretty pointless.

That said Fon is a slightly different beast to permanant hot spots, the Fon thing is a home router that shares a little bit of its bandwidth. It isn't the same as, for example, a hotspot in a public building or a cafe. Of course to a user the difference isn't huge but it is worth bearing in mind.

cx2
-----

2010-09-18 03:11:21

I would recommend the Nokia 5320 Express Music, since that is the one I am using. The keys are accessible and it works with mobile speak. It was somebody else recommending it to me and I think it has worked fine. It has got a good working music player. This is not an IPhone, or something, but I have found all the newer features on a cell phone on it. This is my first phone with speech, though, so I don't know.

I live to crochet!

2010-09-18 18:01:49

Ah, i didn't know phun was technically different to any standard hotspot provided somewhere, but as you said to the user it doesn't seem there is a major difference at all.

Weerdly, one of the fastest and most reliable wireless access servies I've ever seen is that in st pancrus station, ---- for some reason it was ridiculously fast (I could even stream, which for a wireless hotspot is fairly amazing).

My only issue with getting a phone with speech software sabrina like the nockier you mentioned is that I physically don't want to actually pay for a mobile screen reader. o2 will provide me with a phone like the Iphone 4 which comes with built in speech free on my contract, but I suspect to actually get talks or another mobile phone speech program I'd have to buy it myself. Sinse I already have a perfectly workable laptop that I frequently wander around with, which has wireless net access, music playing etc, I just don't see the need to shell out the cash to be honest.

2010-09-18 19:10:47

Well, if you're not into all this samrtphone business, there are phones that are not as feature packed, don't let you isntall things and such. LG and samsung make those. Samsungs latest out of the box talking phone, the Samsung haven actually sounds nice as it reeads every menu and so on. it's like a screen reader, it even gives you control types.

2010-09-18 20:47:50

I'm pretty sure networks used to offer phones with Talks pre installed as part of contracts, don't know if that is still the case. You might be able to get a phone with the speech software included if that is your preferred route. As someone who moved to an iPhone from a Nokia E65 I can say that the iPhone definitely has a lot more options in terms of music playing and general multimedia, plus using the internet is easier in the iPhone for me. That might be though because I could never remember the keys for the Symbion browser with Talks but I can remember the gestures with Voice Over.

cx2
-----

2010-09-19 01:36:02

They did offer several phones, a couple of nockier ones and a blackberry, but the lady i spoke to wasn't sure whether they had built in speech or whether the speech was downloaded (the only one she found out about was the Iphone).

I am however rather inclined towards the Iphone for a number of reasons. Firstly, i like the idea of a touch screen screen reader (that's something I never thought would be accessible), and secondly I rather fancy the features on the Iphone more than others owing to the available applications and such.

My only concern is that I'd like to try it first to make certain the gestures required would be someting I could learn to use and not a complete pain in the rear end (it'd be irritating to have o2 provide the phone and then me not get on well enough to use it).

2010-09-19 02:52:17 (edited by cw 2010-09-19 03:05:00)

The best way I can think of for trying is to borrow one for a while. I hope the following podcast from blindcooltech helps.

those last three links are mainly for after you get an IPhone, but they may also be of help when trying to make up your mind. I also know that there is some stuff about the IPhone on lioncourt if that helps.
hth

edit
Forgot to say that the VIPhone group is a good resource that might be werth checking out.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2010-09-19 08:15:41

Another option is if you can find an Apple shop, an actual Apple shop, they could probably pull out an iOS device to give you a demonstration. Sadly where I am there aren't any Apple shops, only other shops which stock Apple stuff.

cx2
-----

2010-09-19 10:05:56

That's actually a pretty good plan if I can't find someone with one, I'm sure there will be an aple shop in either nottingham or newcastle somewhere.

Thanks for the podcast links Cw. i'm not sure on the "itunes with a screen reader one" sinse usually those tend to be jaws centric, but I deffinately appreciate all the links to the Iphone related stuff including games.

2010-09-19 11:22:16

the guy that did the iTUnes cast was very neutral about it. sure, he used jaws, but he did not throw in any jaws specific, nore he wasn't running jTunes.
I my self did an iTunes podcast, but, it's not as pro. I never really worried if something is pro or isn't, it weas all about getting the point across.
kind of OT but @cw what are the tags to do lists in bbcode? I'd love to know that.

2010-09-19 13:10:12

There is a link at the bottom of the page which lists all the bb codejust have a look there.

I might check the itunes pod cast, but occasionally if it does stay out of jaws script specific stuff the way I've heard a lot of screen reader stuff do. For instance, look at all the games which tell you to completely unload, or put to sleep your screen reader before playing.

In Hal, ---- and I believe window eyes, you can leave the program running and just flick off the voice or hot keys with no change (frequently I pause a game, alt tab out of it and do something else, then go back to it), yet, the manuals to many games don't make any distinction, merely state "your screen reader" even though this is a jaws specific requirement.

2010-09-19 13:16:00

LOL. list and links right?

[list][*] [/list]

try those commands to see how they work. As for the links, it is url= for the most part. just look at the BBCode link it's good about telling you things like that. Anyway, I understand how that shop thing can go to some digree. It would be easyer to find someone most likely.

DropBox Referral

2010-09-19 19:15:19

• testing

• this

Anyway, yeah, this also doesn't apply to window-eyes, or even nvda. actualy it applies only to jaws, any other sr I know doesn't have this issue, apart from some sluggishness with the ctrl key in system access, which is annoying, say, when playing pipe, but that's about it.

2010-09-22 10:11:43

I generally leave Jaws running while playing games, but open the configuration manager the first time I play the game and set it to enter sleep mode automatically when the game starts. I haven't had any problems with it yet.

cx2
-----