2010-09-13 02:33:47

hi all,
does anyone know, if it is possible for a screen reader user to use the seek slider or go forward in a video?

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2010-09-13 08:46:20

it's only doing with mouse İ think.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2010-09-13 10:58:04

You can sort of use this functionality with the accessible interface someone designed at tube.majestyc.net

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-09-14 16:50:18

hey CX2,
how come I can't get the video to play?
and the shortcut keys don't work either

2010-09-14 18:06:42

Did you try the play button? It doesn't start automatically. I've also found that for some reason some videos don't work on it, no idea why.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-09-14 18:37:02

the very best youtube clieent, from experience, I find is the one in iOS. ah yeah. cunfy, etc
One of the reasons I got my iPod
Anyway, tthe youtube site used to work better before google took it. in fact, for a while they were even adding labels to  their buttons. google just thrown that access stuff out the window. sure, iot looks pleasing, but access wise,  it just fails/

I also find they don't really let blind users try out their nwe things. like, the new instant search thing. instead of using, say, aria to announce the results as you type, they just put a link that says "screen reader users, click here to turn instant search off." ditto for ggmail, "if you're a screen reader user, click here for basic html." etc etc.
I just hope html5's video controls are accessible. las ttime I tried on youtube, they weren't. I hope they become so at some point

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2010-09-14 18:38:42

Oh, also, for some weird reason, if you ever come accross an embedded youtube player on a blog or such, the controls are actually accessible. weird that tehir site doesn't follow those guidelines...

2010-09-15 05:27:06

It sounds like they redid the front end and didn't add accessibility, but didn't redo the embedded player perhaps?

Seconded on iOS youtube client, it is very good. I gather Youtube uses Flash and not HTML 5 though, Flash is notoriously inconsistent with accessibility.

cx2
-----

2010-09-15 17:37:30

html5 has some good video handling...  Youtube does actually have an html 5 beta. what's the url to it, I have forgot, but I know there is one

2010-09-17 01:22:41

pitermach,
the html5 beta is
www.youtube.com/html5
try it, I'm installing google crome frame now